Message Boards

Topic : 08/10 OCD Nightmares

Number of Replies: 23
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 05, 2005, 05:35:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date 05/12/05) Liz, 18, had everything going for her -- brains, beauty and popularity -- when Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) took over her life. Now, she battles thoughts of contamination, evil numbers, molesting children, and driving too fast. Liz gives Dr. Phil a rare and personal glimpse into her daily battle with OCD. Then, meet a mother of two who fears that her daughters may also develop OCD. Plus, a man whose OCD has cost him his marriage, career and daily peace of mind. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 10, 2005, 2:01 pm CDT

LIZ ...OCD

August 10, 2005, 2:09 pm CDT

LIZ.. OCD

Quote From: aimhi1

August 10, 2005, 2:22 pm CDT

To the nice Man with OCD

Thank you so much for sharing your story!   

I don't have the hand washing, touching, counting thing.  So didn't think I fell under OCD.  I have "food" issues and drug/pill issues.  I won't use cans with dents or any imperfections.  I won't use any product without printed expiration dates.  If I mistakenly buy one, I contact the manufacturer to decode the production date.  If they won't decode it (as 7-up/A & W wwould not) I toss the product.   

If any product I buy does not open "right" not enough szzzt sound, or the safety ring comes off instead of seperating then I throw it out.  Sometimes I just believe there is something wrong with the way a product looks so I open another identical one, compare and sometimes use it, sometimes toss both! 

I went through a terrible phase where I could not purchase or use any processed foods.  Food touched by others at manufacturing facilities that I could not wash off before preparing.  I was down to eating white and brown rice, carrots, potatos and water I had to boil before I could drink it! 

Those were dark days! 

I was also having panic attacks.  I was hyper vigilant about monitoring my heart, constantly being still to "sense" it within my chest.  Looking at my finger tips to check their color.  Terrified of sudden heart failure.  I was paralized! 

I found out later I had bad hypothyroidism.  And later found that panic attacks are related to hypothyroidism!  I had mentioned the panic attacks to my doctor several times.  He never checked my thyroid.  It was found during a community health service blood test! 

Since I've been treating the thyroid, I am much improved.  Although it took herculean strength to buy, then take those first pills!  As I secretly believe that pills from large facilities are not safe! 

Now I can even eat out, but it's not with any enjoyment, as I still sit and wonder who touched the food, were their hands clean, did they cook the food to safe temperatures, did the cans open correctly?  Ha Ha. 

But things are better for me.  And I pray they will improve for you.  I'm so sorry your wife left.  You can still love and be loved by your kids.  Get a thorough blood work up. 

God bless, 

T. Elliott 

August 10, 2005, 3:16 pm CDT

Glad you told your stories

Well I have been suffering from OCD for probably about 9 years and im 21 years old.  It started when I was 13 and I could never walk away from a drink because I thought bugs, dirt, or even someone would put something into it.  It made my family very frustrated and I can understand why.  Then it got worse...  washing my hands to the point of bleeding and I have to check the stove before I went to bed 3 times.  Never during the day, just before bed.  I also had problems with thinking if I thought something it would happen unless I would knock it off...haha.  Its not really funny, but it was and still is my life.  Now im a single mom of an 11 month old boy and im 3 months pregnant again and the father of both babies is not around.  My OCD is so bad now.  Now I have to wash my sons hands all the time and I don't want people touching my son.  I don't trust baby food ever since there was a scare with one of the products I have never even used before getting bacteria in it.  I have to check my locks constantly and I even have put chairs infront of my door because I feel I cannot even trust myself anymore.  Its not so bad with me anymore now im scared for my son cause I feel like hes going to get hurt either from stove burning our home down to him putting his hand in his mouth and getting a disease.  I have never told anyone about all of this before because I do live a very sheltered life and my family has problems of their own but I thought I would share just SOME of my OCD thoughts and problems I suffer with everyday!! Good luck to the people on the show and to everyone else who suffers from this!!  Good luck and God Bless!! 

Thank you 

August 10, 2005, 3:37 pm CDT

ocd help

Anyone have OCD with worrying about being hungry (needing to carry food), feeling afraid you won't get enough sleep and afraid of getting out of the house (but once you get out you feel ok?), being alone makes it worse? I usually feel better when I am engaged with people but crash after I am alone again. Anybody?

August 10, 2005, 3:42 pm CDT

ocd

My daughter started being seen for anger issues at the age of 2 and at seven when her dad went to Iraq and she didn't sleep for three whole days because she worried about him being killed, we finally were told she has ocd. There were all the signs of ocd we just thought she got mad because she didn't want to go out to eat(she worried about the food being alright, germs, being kidnapped or losing us, if the person serving us was clean ect..... two years of behavioral therapy and lexipro she is doing well shes 9 now, I was told by her latest doctor that we really have to worry when she gets to middle school as the class changes will stress her out, this has been such a struggle for our family and I am so worried for her as she gets older. Every year she starts school I write the teacher a note letting her know about the ocd and what issues might come up-she has germ, religion,thoughts and food ocd and signs of other things that could go bigger. I sometimes think that as she gets older her "common sense" kicks in and she can "boss" the thought out...I guess I want to her a mothers word of hope....

August 10, 2005, 4:43 pm CDT

OCD is truly hell

My 18 yr old daughter has OCD so I know how awful it can be.  My 2 daughters and I all have anxiety related disorders, but my 18 yr old has OCD, social anxiety and panic disorder.  She is a perfectionist and the disorders can literally make her think she is going crazy...and the ocd takes hold of that thought and makes her more anxious...and so on.  She was unable to graduate high school because of her disorders.  She is on medication but it only helps to a point.  She was part of a study at the University of Pennsylvania, but that was only helpful to a point as well.  Her disorders disable her, though most people don't believe that.  Anyone that doesn't know her would think she is perfectly fine, as she can hide her discomfort from anyone for a short period of time.  Her father doesn't have a clue!  He is in that group that believes that anxiety is not such a big deal.  Unfortunately so is the school.  They fought us every step of the way and my daughter left without graduating and now is trying to get her GED.  She is very bright, that has never been the problem, it's being able to get to the testing or sit in the room full of people...or convince herself that she is as capable as she is... I'm sure alot of people understand how the OCD mind works.  It is so hard to find anyone that can help with treatment or even medications.  Insurance doesn't cooperate, and in South Jersey there aren't alot of doctors that seem to specialize in anxiety disorders.  If they do?  You have to have money to see them.  I don't have that luxury!  It has made it very difficult.  I would love for my daughter to talk to some other young people who know how she feels.  She wouldn't be able to handle "a group" at this time, but maybe email???  Anyone have any ideas they'd like to share?  I'm always open to some fresh ideas.

August 10, 2005, 5:08 pm CDT

try homeopathic medicine

This is a long story but I have bolded the bottom line for you:

I wanted to give you information about homeopathic treatment with no side effects! , if you could   please share with your guests on the OCD show 8-10-2005

I would like to share that I had tried conventional medication, and had a very difficult time with the side effects, so I tried several things that have helped tremendously and stopped my panic attacks

To give you a bit of history,

I first have had anxiety all my life and I  was diagnosed with ADD with anxiety

I decided to take medication based on the fact that I was getting on all my friends nerves and thought it must be bad if my friends are pushing me to get treatment.

I tried paxil and celexa and both gave me severe side effects.

I was introduced to a homeopathic practitioner and started my journey:

I went to her and they typically evaluate you for an hour or so with a lot of questions ect, I thought to myself while at my first visit, Lord, I pay $80 bucks to see a regular doctor and they spend 5 minutes with me! I was very impressed!

Then they had me take a remedy, they chose for me based on their  evaluation, and I believe I took that same remedy about 3 separate times over the next 3 months, mean while I was slowly going off the medication. I felt great and the remedy had worked!

Then there came a time when my thyroid was under active and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, the doctor said I would have to be on the medication the rest of my life most likely, I said to myself, I am going to go back to the homeopathic practitioner  and see what she says . She put me on a remedy that I took twice a day for 6 weeks, it has been almost 2 years now and my blood work has come back normal and my weight has stabilized , and I feel great!

Then a few months before turning 40 and a few traumatic events, I began to have Panic Attacks…. I had no idea what was going on with me!

One day while having a panic attack I called my friend and  had my her  rush me to the homeopathic practitioner (my friend thought we were rushing to a regular doctor, when we got to the parking lot she thought I was crazy, I should be in the emergency) (Please note this was my 4th panic attack and one of the panic attacks had been while driving and I developed a phobia and would not drive)

When I arrived, the homeopathic practitioner brought me to the office along with my friend, and assessed me for about 5 to 8 minutes, she then gave me a remedy to place under my tongue and within 2 to 3 minutes, I was calm and said “I feel much better now” My friend looking very confused and shocked , said” what, well that is like a miracle” The homeopathic practitioner said , “well yes it is kind of like a miracle, homeopathic remedies can work within minutes in an acute state”

To make a long story short, I am panic attack free and I would like for others to have opportunity to hear of this alternative (homeopathic medicine)   that may work wonders for them.

Two other tools  that I also used later to expedite my healing was   Thought field therapy, nicknamed:  tapping therapy and a CD on positive affirmations by Louise hay.

By using the homeopathic remedy and using the tapping techniques and listening to the CD and repeating affirmations daily, I am now panic attack free .

I believe the quickest results were the homeopathic  and tapping , as they worked within  about 3 minutes!

When  you have a chronic problem, homeopathic remedies stay in your system and can take more time to work completely, this is why I used the other tools to keep me from diverting back to western medicine, and I am sure glad I did , it was worth the wait, however  during an acute attack, the homeopathic remedy would work in minutes. But to completely stop them from returning , that took a few months and with no side effects!

There is no one particular remedy for panic attacks , a classical homeopathic will pinpoint the remedy just for you . There are no side effects! And sometimes it is only one dose under the tongue will do the trick for good!. (do not be frightened, when I tell you my remedy was made from rattle snake venom) You will need to read about homeopathy to understand that this is safe and no side effects. Other remedy’s  that have been around for 200 years are made from all kinds of things like flowers, wolf milk, poison ivy, chocolate, tobacco, arsenic and more,  even newer remedy’s that are only a few years old are made from things like coco cola classic, or equal. There is also another good remedy that you can purchase and homeopathic recommend for an extra touch, Rescue remedy by Bach , you can get this in a health food store, good to drop under the tongue just before flying if you have a fear to fly  or for 2 weeks if going through a traumatic event, like divorce , death or some other trauma.

Since I have no way of contacting them, Please share this info with the guest you had on your show ( 8-10-2005  the OCD show )  who were suffering, It could be an alternative that will help them

If for any reason they need a referral, the best type of homeopathic  practitioner is “Classical “ type

August 10, 2005, 5:25 pm CDT

Hope for OCD

I've had OCD for over 30 years, and I have been truly helped by taking medication. Years of therapy could only do so much to alleviate my symptoms. Through some trial and error, I have found a combination of medications that work for me. 

I wish that Liz would be more open to the treatment options available to her. By not doing that, the OCD is holding her and her entire family hostage. I used to have the same type of thinking; God could heal this in me. I believe God wants us to use everything at our disposal to make our lives better. That doesn't mean that I don't have faith in God. 

I know that medication doesn't work for everyone, but I wish she would at least give it a chance. 

August 10, 2005, 5:42 pm CDT

GOOD AFTERNOON...

Quote From: there4youu

Well I have been suffering from OCD for probably about 9 years and im 21 years old.  It started when I was 13 and I could never walk away from a drink because I thought bugs, dirt, or even someone would put something into it.  It made my family very frustrated and I can understand why.  Then it got worse...  washing my hands to the point of bleeding and I have to check the stove before I went to bed 3 times.  Never during the day, just before bed.  I also had problems with thinking if I thought something it would happen unless I would knock it off...haha.  Its not really funny, but it was and still is my life.  Now im a single mom of an 11 month old boy and im 3 months pregnant again and the father of both babies is not around.  My OCD is so bad now.  Now I have to wash my sons hands all the time and I don't want people touching my son.  I don't trust baby food ever since there was a scare with one of the products I have never even used before getting bacteria in it.  I have to check my locks constantly and I even have put chairs infront of my door because I feel I cannot even trust myself anymore.  Its not so bad with me anymore now im scared for my son cause I feel like hes going to get hurt either from stove burning our home down to him putting his hand in his mouth and getting a disease.  I have never told anyone about all of this before because I do live a very sheltered life and my family has problems of their own but I thought I would share just SOME of my OCD thoughts and problems I suffer with everyday!! Good luck to the people on the show and to everyone else who suffers from this!!  Good luck and God Bless!! 

Thank you 

Thank you for sharing this with everyone here. You've taken a big step just by writing this all down, good for you!! 

I use to have to check the locks on my doors and windows alot but over the years I've settled down to just checking them once and once only. I don't know how you feel so I'm not going say that I do, but just know that you're not alone and there are others that do know what you go through each and every day of your life. 

Please TAKE CARE and I hope that one day soon you will be able to get the help you need to get better. LOVE KELLY. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | Next | Last