Message Boards

Topic : 07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Number of Replies: 160
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 05:14:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine your 15-year-old daughter announces that she's pregnant. As a parent, you would have to make tough decisions. This is the reality for Dale and Kelly. Dale says they had the all-American family until their teenaged daughter, Brittney, revealed she was pregnant. How did this honor roll student and star soccer player end up in this predicament? Dr. Phil sits down with the teen and asks her some hard questions. Is she confronting reality or living in her own world? Brittney has not decided if her future involves her being a parent. What do her parents hope she chooses? Dr. Lisa Masterson, OB/GYN and co-host of The Doctors, meets with Brittney and three other young women who found themselves in similar situations as teens. Will their stories help the mom-to-be make one of the biggest decisions of her life? And, Brittney and her mom accompany Jody as she travels across the country to pick up her adopted child. Emotions escalate and Brittney ends up in tears. Follow the drama as this family struggles through this tense time that will dramatically change the course of their lives. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 7, 2009, 12:05 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: lovely_mom20

honestly you think its okay for her mom and dad to say terminate they baby they should be more supporting and One more thing if you don't want a baby close your legs or use protection and as for her parents they should focus more on there daughters then themselves because them being selfish and always thinking about them there daughter was having sex so you know what point the fingers at the mom and dad for not being more responsible

Why are you accusing her parents of being irresponsible when she was the one having unprotected sex. And, lying to them about it? Of course, I thought it was awfully naive of them to believe her lies. But, had she been honest with them, they could have taken measures to keep her from getting pregnant, at least.

July 7, 2009, 1:09 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: lpoh1969

I think its fantastic that you were just 17, able to work, go to school and take care of your baby. However, while you are at work and in school, you are NOT the one taking care of your baby. Someone else is, if it was the babies dad, thats great.  If it was grandparents, then you are still depending on someone else to help you out. I do think there is an age on being a good mom in most cases. We're talking about a 15 year old baby having a baby.  She hasn't reached maturity yet and she is spoiled as far as all of her needs and wants are met and she does nothing for herself.  It would be different if she were out of high school and had a job for a year or more and showed that she could in fact support herself.  All I am saying is as a grandma of my 19 year olds daughter, I would be more willing to help her if she had been the type of daughter who showed a little independence as far as being able to work and take care of herself.  I think the show should be talking about adoption, there are far too many GREAT moms like yourself, who cannot have children and could love it just as much and sometimes more, than the real mom.   In most cases the adoptive mom will stay home with the child because they are better off financially because they are older and got an education and married first.  Its too easy to kill a baby anymore, nobody wants to deal with their body getting fat or stretch marks, well you should have thought about that before you laid down with some guy.
I fully agree with this messages.

July 7, 2009, 1:19 pm CDT

Easy way out.

Its so sad that there are soooooo many people taking the easy way out today because of their own actions. Just because you have not seen the baby and know what it looks like, held it and spent some time with the baby..it makes it so easy to terminate. I believe if a women had to hold their baby before killing it...you would have changed your mind and kept your baby....but no just because its growing and you have not seen it and held it you kill it....because its not apart of your reality yet.....I believe you will see the baby you killed one day up in heaven and feel very badly you did not give him/her a chance in this wonderful world...no matter what would have happened.......................EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO THE SONG-------------------------HAPPY BIRTHDAY by FLYPSIDE....very sad but very true. 

July 8, 2009, 10:34 am CDT

Adoption

I was so impressed that Britney chose to do the hardest thing she will probably ever do in her life...think of what is best for her baby and place it with a family. Unfortunately, over 14 years ago my oldest daughter made the wrong decision to have unprotected sex and yes, she had been taught better. She was 19 at the time and in no position to raise a child. She did the most unselfish thing and chose to give her child a better life by placing her with a loving couple who could not have children. It was not easy....she shed many tears. I am so proud of her for doing the right thing. By the way, she NEVER considered killing her baby with an abortion.

As this would have been our first grandchild, it was not easy for me and my husband. Then two years later we went through the same experience with our second daughter. She was going to marry the boyfriend but when they broke up she made the same courageous decision her sister had made. She placed her baby with the same couple that adopted her sister's child. Those two girls are sisters and literal cousins.

Both of these adoptions are open but my daughter's have moved on with their lives and have chosen not to intrude in the lives of those girls. My daughters receive letters and pictures from the parents and maybe someday, if they want to meet their biological mothers, that is a possibility.

July 8, 2009, 3:56 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Stories like these, young or otherwise unable women having babies frustrates me and makes me a little angry.  it actually angers me in 2 separate ways.  I was recently pregnant for the first time and ecstatic about it.  It was scary, but exciting for me and my partner to prepare for our first child.  About 10 weeks into my pregnancy I had a pap smear and started to spot and bleed.  The bleeding wasn't very heavy but would not stop and made me nervous so I called my doctor.  I ended up going in for an emergency ultrasound and was told that I had a miscarriage because my uterous was empty.  I, of course, was extremely upset (felt like I had lost a child because I had bonded with having a child grow inside me).  A few weeks later I went to the ER with severe abdominal pains and learned that I had a tubal pregnancy that ruptured and I needed surgery.  I ended up losing one of my tubes but am told that I can try again in 3-6 months.  I had to mourn the fact that I had a failed pregnancy again, and this time for a totally different reason because the baby was fine, just not in the right place. 

First off, this was only a few weeks ago so I naturally get upset when I see or hear about pregnancy and young babies.  But I only really get upset when I see women with babies that I don't think can handle or deserve them, I think "how is that fair".  However, aside from my personal situation and bias I get frustrated when I hear about women who are pregnant and irresponsible, either by age or personality.  I was 25, own my own home and we both have good full time jobs.  I was concerned about how exactly we'd handle it but I knew we could figure it out no problem.  I also work with troubled children and see what can happen when children grow up in difficult environments.  I understand that no one is perfect or has the perfect situation and that there have been instances where families have worked out beautifully in tough situations.  It just seems that people who can't afford, truely want or can handle having children keep having them with no trouble, but some wonderful, capable and willing people try and try with no success.  I was unable to see the conclusion to this show because of the memorial, but I understand Brittany chose adoption.  I think that is a completely wonderful and responsible choice that I'm sure was very hard to do.  While adoption is wonderful, not enough people have the foresight or courage to make that decision.  I just wish that some people would think about the responsibly required before becoming pregnant because the children are the ones to suffer in the long run. 

July 9, 2009, 10:31 am CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

I get alittle upset every time i heard about a teens pregnancy, mostly when i heard how the family reacts.

I am sorry but i feel that things happen for a reason i can understand where the parents are coming from but at the same time it is no longer about any of them it is full at about the child the teen is caring and the best way to do what is right for that child. When i was 19 I moved out of my parents home, and moved in with my boyfriend, about a year after i moved in he asked me to marry him, exactly one year later i found out that i was pregnant and the way my mother react ripped my heart to pieces, and as a mother of two i never regrated my decision to have a family and become a mother it was the best thing that i have ever done. As i have  had a partent that react the way some parents did makes me angry as a parent. i have beauthyful 1 year old daughter and if later on down that line some thing happends and she is in the same posstion brittany as in I would love and support her no matter what her choice is. As a parent in a situation like that you dont think about your self your first thought sould be on your child and what they are going through. That is the true test of a parents love. It is the one time in your childs life when they are going to need you the most. And as a parent i feel that my children come first and when i am blessed to be a grand parent i would love them are if they where my own because that is what being a parent is all about. Ever lasting love no matter what or what age.

July 13, 2009, 10:00 am CDT

For Sure!

Quote From: milo44

This young girl needs a reality check big time....what a spoiled brat....and a selfish one too....
I agree. This little girl needs to be kicked to the curb! She's a snotty little brat! I feel for her parents, because they are the ones who will have to take care of the baby.

July 14, 2009, 7:59 am CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

I think that this show was about what everyone else wanted for Brittney's Baby. It is totaly her choice not pressure her into what they want her to do. I believe that you were grown up enough to have sex you should take the responsibility of what comes with it. As is sit and what this show about this it seem's like you have scared her into adoption. I don't believe that it should be any choice but to keep it and take care of your child you made on your own. I do not believe in abortion I think it should be Illegal it should only be for rape. If you can't take the responsinility for your action's then take a step back and take a look at what you are doin' they do make condom's and birthcontrol. Or even better do have sex at all. I have a 10year old and a 9year old and if they came to me with I'm gonna be a parent well then get a job save your money because you will take the resoponsibility for it I will help with housing but I will not pay for you and your child's. I think this show is such a peer pressure show that only dealt with what they wanted her to do not with what Brittney wanted to do.

July 14, 2009, 8:04 am CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: mightymouse19

If your asking your child if they're having sex and they say no to you, they're automatically lying? That's ridiculous. And apparently her parents have the option to "kick" the both out, but even then: the girl will have options. More options than ABORTION or ADOPTION. Is this the only teenage girl pregnant in our American neighborhoods? If that's the image you are trying to convey, maybe you need to get out a little more.
In  your post, you're contradicting yourself left and right. Your first sentence suggests that you think very few teenage girls are having sex. Yet, your "is this the only teenage girl pregnant..." question suggests that you think otherwise. As for needing to "get out" more, I "get out" enough to know that she isn't  "only teenage girl pregnant in" America. She is one of many. Pregnancy in teenage girls is rampant. As is their lying about having sex. Maybe you need to "get out" more!

July 14, 2009, 8:10 am CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: maggiemcg

I agree. This little girl needs to be kicked to the curb! She's a snotty little brat! I feel for her parents, because they are the ones who will have to take care of the baby.
Legally, her parents can kick her to the curb since pregnancy makes underage girls emancipated minors. I'll bet if more of these young girls realized this, they wouldn't be in such an all-fired hurry to get pregnant!

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next Page | Last Page