Message Boards

Topic : 07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Number of Replies: 160
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 05:14:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine your 15-year-old daughter announces that she's pregnant. As a parent, you would have to make tough decisions. This is the reality for Dale and Kelly. Dale says they had the all-American family until their teenaged daughter, Brittney, revealed she was pregnant. How did this honor roll student and star soccer player end up in this predicament? Dr. Phil sits down with the teen and asks her some hard questions. Is she confronting reality or living in her own world? Brittney has not decided if her future involves her being a parent. What do her parents hope she chooses? Dr. Lisa Masterson, OB/GYN and co-host of The Doctors, meets with Brittney and three other young women who found themselves in similar situations as teens. Will their stories help the mom-to-be make one of the biggest decisions of her life? And, Brittney and her mom accompany Jody as she travels across the country to pick up her adopted child. Emotions escalate and Brittney ends up in tears. Follow the drama as this family struggles through this tense time that will dramatically change the course of their lives. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 6, 2009, 1:10 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: cadescove99

This gal chose to have sex because she wasn't getting validation at home? Give those of us who actually watched the show a break! This gal got nothing but validation at home. Her parents did nothing but brag about how "great" she was all the time. Too much, if you ask me. Gave her a big head and even bigger entitlement mentality.
I agree, this young lady made a very poor choice, however, she was VERY aware of the choice she was making ... I am interested in how Dr. Phil will handle this. Brittany comes across as a spoiled brat that feels the world owes her.  I feel so sorry for the parents, they are the ones that will pay for their daughters choice (mind you, I did not say mistake, because we all know she knew what she was doing)

July 6, 2009, 1:10 pm CDT

pray for her

im a dad of boys and i understand that i cant make what my kids do right but smoetimes they make mistakes that they have to learn by and as parents its our responsiblty to show what right and wrong the girl may not have do it on purpose and i understand with the parents about theam having to raise the child but where im fom as a dad i would rather raise that child no matter whos it is than to see it killed in abortion thats a dission she has to make so they should support her  no matter what in 1979 my mom put me up for adoption and gave some one that couldnt have childern the chance and i thank god every day that i was blessed with a christan family and as far as the girl goes god has blessed her with one of lifes mostbeautiful things and i belive that everything happens for a reason and if she will pray about it and turn it over to god she will make it no matter what with or with out her parents or the dad that needs to step up and be a man

July 6, 2009, 1:11 pm CDT

Choices

I am a woman who has struggled with infertility.  I found out the year after I married that I was considered a DES daughter due to a medication my mother was given when she was pregnant with me.  The medication caused deformities in my reproductive tract making it very difficult for me to carry a child through pregnancy.  I have already suffered one ectopic pregnancy.  IVF is not option for us and we can not afford private or international adoption.  It breaks my heart to hear of the number of teenage girls who are getting pregnant.  Too many children are being raised by children and too many children are being aborted.  There are thousands of loving people who desperately want to have a child and can not physically do that.  It is a tremendous and irreplaceable gift that a woman, or girl, gives when she choses to share her child with a different family through adoption.  I pray that all of the experiences that Dr. Phil gave this young girl will help her to make a decision that she can live with.  For others who are reading and/or posting on this site and are pregnant and need to make a decision, please seriously consider adoption.  Please give your child a chance at life and bless another family at the same time.  Best wishes to this young girl's family as they travel this difficult road.

July 6, 2009, 1:14 pm CDT

Teen pregnancy

Hello... I am Ashely and i got pregant at 15 also and my parents wanted me to give up my baby and i did not want to do that.. so i didnt.. and i couldnt be happier..everyone makes it out to be so bad and its really not.... i love being a mom and having a family i am still with the father... and i cant express how much i love the decision i made...i could not have an abortion thats a real live human in you and ure basically killing it and i would not give my baby to strangers... i am almost 18  now and my son is 21 months and having a familly is great.. i did have one down fall and that was i dropped out of school... i wish i didnt so you have to keep on that...and i am unemployed but looking but we have the dad who will support us all the way.. and my parents are happy with me and i love my baby to death... your not losing your teen years because some stuff you cant do with having your baby with you but alot of the things you can.. i take my baby everywhere with me and nobody looks at me any diffrent.. i just want you to know its your decision and i want you to make the right one and I encourage you to keep this baby and you  will never regret it.... it is the greatest mirace ever...

July 6, 2009, 1:17 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: cadescove99

Glad I'm not the only one who sees what a selfish, spoiled rotten brat this gal is! Of course, she didn't get this way all by herself. It was her parents who spoiled her rotten. And, now they're reaping the consequences of their over-indulgence. As for them asking her if she was having sex, they shouldn't have believed her when she said she wasn't. If you have to ask  them if they're having sex, and they say they aren't, they're probably lying. As for her having the right to make her own decisions about abortion, adoption, or keeping the baby, it's because pregnancy makes a girl even that young an emancipated minor. So, not only are her parents not responsible for her child, I suspect they are no longer responsible for her  either, as an emancipated minor. I think Dr Phil is trying to make her realize, if she keeps her baby, her parents can "kick" them both out. And, he seems to be stressing adoption.
I'm with you, the kid is a selfish brat.  Yes, the parents spoiled her but they should not have to pay for the decision of their indulgent child.  Set her up in an apartment, with 3 months rent paid and let her know she is on her own.  They will always be her parents, but should not have to now finish raising this child and getting her through college AND raising another baby. 

July 6, 2009, 1:18 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Quote From: ncauble78

I think Brittany's parents are only interested in what they want and how they feel. They do care about their daughter, but they are only escalating the situation. I was 17 when I had my daughter, my parents were 100% supportive and I still did everything for that baby.that same daughter is now 13. I am SCARED TO DEATH of her getting pregnant, but if it did happen I would be supportive and we would come up with a plan together. It is possible to help her without enabling her.
I also think Brittany's parents are equating help with compliance or rewarding her behavior. Believe me, the hardship that comes with a child, should she keep it, will be punishment enough!
I believe what your doing is PROJECTING ... her parents are the ones left to clean up this mess ... and Brittany did not spill milk, she is having a BABY

July 6, 2009, 1:19 pm CDT

Pregnant at 15

I have been there, Fifteen years old and pregnant.  I kept my son.  His father denied him.  My parents were wonderful and helped me to live with my child and also as a teen.  And I could not have done it without them.  But as I look back and see the struggles my child had with 3 parents, Myself, my mother and my father.  It was difficult extremely, difficult. 

If I had to do it all over again.  As much as I love my son, I would have given him up for adoption.  He deserved to have 1 mother 1 father, and I don't feel he got the best in life that he deserved.

I truly feel this 15 year old is to young to make a decision that will effect her life forever and that of an unborn child.

July 6, 2009, 1:20 pm CDT

been there done that

I am writing this because we went through a similar case.

Thirteen years ago the school nurse called me in because

she suspected my 15 year old daughter was pregnant. being 7 mos along

and we did not know because her clothes were so big and baggy and her

being a little overweight. She did not know herself because she was

irregular with her cycle and being somewhat immature. I did not

want to raise another child. we lived in a small apartment and I had two

other childrent to care for. I was only working part time and could barely

take care of what i had. we went through catholic charities and they helped

us pick out the right couple for the adoption and walked us through the whole

course of events. It was very sad when the day came but my daughter knew she

could not care for a baby and continue with school. We have a open adoption and

if they ever want to get a hold of us they can. We hope for the day when we can

see them all again. That is how we handled it. she lives with her parents and she

is a minor so they have to be a part of the decision. hopefully they can live with

what they decide to do. but it changes everyones life for the future even the baby.

thank you and good luck          susan

wareham, mass

July 6, 2009, 1:20 pm CDT

07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

I have a sister who was 16 when she had her child. She finished high school, got a job after graduation went to college and got a degree in Chemical Engineer..It is sad but it is not the end of the world my niece will be 16 this Nov. So no parent should give up just because she got pregnant..My question is where is the boy in all this?

July 6, 2009, 1:23 pm CDT

Her parents need to wake up and help their little girl

I was a 17 year old pregnant teen. I understand exactly how she feels. I wanted to get an abortion but my parents talked me out of it. IT IS THEIR GRANDCHILD!! If they don't want to help their daughter when she is going through the hardest part of her life, then they are not good parents. My parents have been awesome in helping me out. They do not raise my child, I do. But they want to be the best grandparents he has even seen. I know when he grows up, he doesn't want to be considered an "accident" (which he was) but overall his life has dramatically changed mine and my families. These parents need to realize that this is a blessing and not a burden. It's a family member not just a baby. They need to help this girl because I know that she is scared to death but with her parents help and love, they will get through it and realize that this is probably the best thing that has ever happened to them. Embrace life, don't make this baby an accident. Make it a blessing.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last