Message Boards

Topic : 07/06 A Teen's Pregnancy

Number of Replies: 160
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 05:14:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine your 15-year-old daughter announces that she's pregnant. As a parent, you would have to make tough decisions. This is the reality for Dale and Kelly. Dale says they had the all-American family until their teenaged daughter, Brittney, revealed she was pregnant. How did this honor roll student and star soccer player end up in this predicament? Dr. Phil sits down with the teen and asks her some hard questions. Is she confronting reality or living in her own world? Brittney has not decided if her future involves her being a parent. What do her parents hope she chooses? Dr. Lisa Masterson, OB/GYN and co-host of The Doctors, meets with Brittney and three other young women who found themselves in similar situations as teens. Will their stories help the mom-to-be make one of the biggest decisions of her life? And, Brittney and her mom accompany Jody as she travels across the country to pick up her adopted child. Emotions escalate and Brittney ends up in tears. Follow the drama as this family struggles through this tense time that will dramatically change the course of their lives. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 3, 2009, 9:49 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

A Doctor Phil Erica Jay Jordan One Part  Phil Preagnancy Robin Teen. Well Well Well I had seen better da-

y in my life but this take a cake. See you on July Monday 06th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---- 

July 4, 2009, 2:48 pm CDT

I keep remembering the Movie Juno

Powerful decisions and one of the most profound times in a person's life. To give a life to another who does not have children is difficult, yet you will always know that a life is engaging in another ancestory and your a part of this life. Juno was a great view of alternatives and choices the utlimate choice is the person who's life is being affected. Life and caring for life is the main choice in my life.

July 4, 2009, 3:36 pm CDT

Want to learn to speak Tweet? Go to Dr. Phil's new Blog.

http://blog.drphil.com/

Cyber flight plans straight from the heart.

TWITTERVERSE
by SEA winging it on a wing and a prayer
July 4, 2009

Wandering in Twitterland
I saw Dr. Phil Family and Carla
Speaking tweet and you can too friend

July 4, 2009, 7:38 pm CDT

I was once in the same...

I am a 31 year old single parent of 3, I was pregnant at 12 and was a drop out.  I would not agree to any teenager having a child this was a life changing experience for me.  As parents we need to have open relationships with our children so they do not have to hide things and we need to be more involved in their lives.  Teens need to understand having a child will not fill the void of what is missing in their life.  Being a teen mother does one of two things; it makes you or it breaks you.  I was very lucky to have a drive unlike many have ever seen.  In 2000, I obtained my GED and started college the same year and nine years later I just got my M.P.A.  My story is unheard of, there was no help from my mother and I left her home at the young age of 14, many in the small community I lived in thought they had my story wrote and could have been right to say I would never be anything.  My son is now 18 and I have two other children.  It is still hard take it from me you will have all the time in your life to have children. 

Respectfully,

Driven and Lucky

July 6, 2009, 4:30 am CDT

Do it for the little one

Reading through the show transcript today, I find it so very sad. These poor parents thought they did everything right, and by all accounts it sure sounded like they did a good job preparing their daughter. They have every right to be angry and confused, but at the same time I can see why the daughter would be so defensive: one big angry or violent reaction can really scar a person. It seems like now it's just one big family tension and neither side trusts each other.

I got pregnant young, and I decided to try my very best to take care of the little one, seeing as medically this is the only child I could have. I was not living with my parents. I was engaged and my fiancé and I stepped up 100%: we got a home, we got therapy, we got aid, information, jobs. I never regret my decision to step up, but there came a point where I realized I was so detatched and couldn't bond, and even though I didn't mean to I was depriving her of the love she deserved. I had lots of people saying "You can't do it", but I put pride aside entirely: it wasn't about them, it wasn't about me, it was about our little girl growing up with the love and devotion and joy that she deserved. We decided to do an open adoption and have absolutely 0 regrets: we are still very much a part of our little one's life. So many people ask me how difficult it must have been. It was difficult, but seeing how amazingly happy that little one is, and how much she's flourishing makes it all worth it. She couldn't be doing any better. It was a very difficult time full of difficult decisions, but with all the joy that comes from it now, like I said, no regrets. There's such a love and a joy and a pride in seeing that little girl grow up exactly how we wanted her to.

Whatever Brittney's decision will be is her decision, but I think the decision really needs to be made not with her personal interests in mind, but with those of her baby.

July 6, 2009, 7:23 am CDT

Teen's Pregnancy

This young girl is not the first woman to have become pregnant at a young age. That was a normal age in times past.  I think the parents are being quite selfish in their attitude about their daughter.  She seems more mature than they do.  To me, abortion is not the answer.  When a woman has sexual relations with a man and goes unprotected, both she and the man know exactly what's going on!  If a child is created out of the union, why is it that the innocent child ends up being the victim?  This woman wants to keep her baby and this show seems to be about talking her into getting rid of it.  You see, this is the problem with what we are teaching young people nowadays.  Go out, have a ball, take no responsibility for your actions, and if the choice you make affects you negatively, just sweep it under the rug, so to speak, and go on with your partying, etc.  The child she is carrying was formed by GOD.  You just don't mess with GOD without consequences.  Don't make this young woman make a choice she will regret the rest of her life.  I have had 5 daughters and now have 7 grandchildren, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. My first child was stillborn when I was 19.  I would have never thought to have my baby killed or have given up my child.  Let her enjoy her own baby.  Things have ways of working out in the end, and the parents in the long run will come to love their little grandbaby.  That child will bring great joy to them!  EVERY CHILD IS A GIFT!!!

July 6, 2009, 7:55 am CDT

Can you hear me all the way back there in the 50's?

I am honestly very dissapointed in today's show. Many people watch Dr. Phil, and utilize the program as a guidepost for values, and decisions in regard to their parenting and life choices. I could not believe it today as I watched Dr.Phil absolutely chastize a young girl for what he and her parents percieved to be a "planned" pregnancy. Yet, the only thing that was ever said about the Father of this baby, is that "he does not want" her. Well, I hate to break it to you, but he also chose to have unprotected sex, not just Brittany alone. He also has partial responsibility in this, and I doubt anyone is waking him up in the middle of the night to tell him what a "spoiled brat" he is. I could not believe that Dr. Phil said nothing about the behavior of her parents in this issue, or that her Mother has "no idea who she is". As if that palyed no part at all in her daughters poor decision? The bottom line is, if we continue to blame the girls in these situations, yet place little or no responsibility on our young men, these situations will continue to occur at alarming rates. Pregnacy prevention is not only the responsibility of young, or grown women, and we must realize that it takes two to tango. Dr. Phil, please recognize that this is the year 2009, not 1955. Women are not the only ones who make irresponisble, uniformed decisions in regard to sex. That young man chose to have sex without a condom as well, and there can be no "decption" on her part when he was also involved in that decision. As you said, he probably has taken Biology as well. I in no way condone or support a young couple having a child, as it is not a good situation for them, or the child, yet we can't just blame and hope this problem will go away. It will not, until we all as parents hold ourselves to higher standards, and live them out. Children learn more from what we show them, but never tell them. If you have "no idea" who you are, most likely, your children will not either. And then we wonder why Brittany, and millions of others like her, choose sex as a form of validation. She certainly isn't getting it at home. "Never wanting for anything" is not the same as knowing you are valued for who you are.

July 6, 2009, 7:57 am CDT

pregnant girl

This young girl needs a reality check big time....what a spoiled brat....and a selfish one too....

July 6, 2009, 7:59 am CDT

pregnant

WHERE IS THE FATHER ?....WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS????

July 6, 2009, 8:04 am CDT

Know the feeling.

I know what this girl is going threw and hope she really thinks about this before she acts.. I myself was 15 when I got pregnant.. I was 16 when I had my daughter.. I was lucky to have my family there with me but it was up to me to do for my child.. I didn't get to finish High School for having to work as a waitress to help keep us up.. Her father was around most of the time but worried more about his friends and what he wanted to do than what we wanted.. It was really hard  b/c I went from having my own life to having to do for someone else.. I always had her on my hip. I never had any alone time for myself.. I had to stay at home and take care of her.. My friends was out at parties and doin the school thing and I wasn't apart of it.. I lost all my good years that a teenager is suppose to experience.. No prom, No parties, Nothing.. By the age of 18 I was ready to break out.. I got my grandmother to watch her while I enjoyed hanging out w/ friends and worked. I thought it was all ok to do this.. I was hanging out partying, doing things I hadn't got to do.. It was fun.. Then with me acting like a child and not a mother like I should have been doing my daughter was taking away from me.. It is hard as a young mother raising a child.. You have to have alot of support and family. Your friends aren't going to help you. They are enjoying the life you should have.. I wake up everyday and wish I would have made better choices. I don't have my child in my home now.. She isn't with me and I pay everyday.. I hope this girl really takes in all that she is going to have to go threw and realize this is not what you really want.. It's not longer about you, it's all about the baby.. Best wishes....

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last