Message Boards

Topic : 07/07 A Teen's Pregnancy: Brittney's Decision

Number of Replies: 60
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 05:15:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his in-depth look at a family that struggles with a decision that will affect the rest of their lives. Dale and Kelly's 15-year-old daughter, Brittney, an honor roll student and star athlete, recently shared she is pregnant, and the family has been turned upside down. To help Brittney learn more about adoption, Dr. Phil arranges for her to meet with two agencies. Will the visit be more emotional for the teen or her mom? Now six-and-a-half months pregnant, Brittney reveals her intentions for her unborn baby. See how her parents react to her choice. Do they think she'll stick with her decision? Has Brittney come to terms with her situation? Find out why Dr. Phil thinks she's acting detached from the baby growing in her belly. Then, hear what the baby's father and his parents have to say about the situation. Be there with this family as they encounter struggles, fears and doubts, and consider how you would react as a parent in the same situation. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 8, 2009, 10:16 am CDT

07/07 A Teen's Pregnancy: Brittney's Decision

Quote From: bluebayou18

As the mother of a 15 year old daughter, I watched yesterday's show with great interest - and with my daughter sitting alongside of me. 

We both thought something was odd.  Brittany is a minor who cannot legally vote, drink, buy cigarettes, or attend an R-rated movie without a parent or adult guardian.  At age 16, she can just barely drive a car.  She has never held a job or paid taxes.  If, heaven forbid, she would encounter difficulties during the delivery of her baby and would require a C-Section, her parents would have to sign consent forms in order for the doctors to  perform the operation. 

Yet, it's Brittany's decision to become a parent?  We agreed that something just doesn't add up.

It doesn't make a lick of sense to me either that a woman must be 18 to vote; buy tobacco, certain over-the-counter drugs, guns, ammunition, or certain kinds of cleaning fluids, glues and paints; or sign contracts even for certain cell phone services can decide the fate of an unborn child. Yet, in some, but if not all states, pregnancy automatically makes any girl under 18 an emancipated minor. She can even get married without parental consent. It certainly doesn't add up, but it's the law, ludicrous as it is.

July 8, 2009, 10:30 am CDT

Quote From: molly1424

It took so long to register that I just heard that the baby has been placed with the adoptive parents so I have no further comment about any of that.  Please get Britney's mom some professional help,  B said even before B got pregnant her mom just cries.  That before this ever happened B's mom felt  lost.  This family was really an interesting show and in return I think it would be great if you got B's mom some help.  If B's mom keeps doing what she is doing, this can happen again.  She is the mom, not her best friend.  B's mom needs help.

I agree with you. And, think that B's mother's trying to be a friend rather than a parent, while not being an excuse for her to go out having sex and getting pregnant does explain some of her attitudes, especially the entitlement mentality. Maybe B's mother never visited any kind of consequences on her for anything she ever did and that was why told Dr Phil she wasn't expecting to get pregnant from having unprotected sex. Or, if she was trying to get pregnant, maybe she thought that would have no consequences, either. At any rate,  B's parents, especially her mother,  have so far done a rather poor job of preparing her for adulthood. 

July 8, 2009, 12:11 pm CDT

Quote From: chaopescao

First of all, don't make this a religious thing, it is ONLY your opinion what god does or does not do.  Until you can prove it, please don't preach.  Secondly, we are the only ones responsible for ourselves and these children are not going to abstain from sex , you know why??  because they alllllllll feel that they are soooo responsible and educated and ENTITLED to do what they want.  Don't assume that it's not taught in homes, I am one that has re iterated and discussed and instilled for many many years and here we are, with baby. It is a decision that these kids make in the blink of an eye, meanwhile their life can be ruined, our life can be ruined and the worst of all, we get a human life out of your stupid decision that you made.  These kids think they're invincible and I think girls should be made to wear something so they can NOT get pregnant until they are secure in all areas, such as financially, mentally, physically and emotionally.  Or, like the last lady said, it should be illegal but then what, they all go sit in a jail cell, pregnant??  And yes something DOES need to be done, not only in America!!!

That's the beauty of living in America, FREEDOM OF SPEECH!  If I choose to witness to someone I guess that's my business and my right.    I'm sorry if I sound direct but my comments wern't even meant for you so, if you don't like what I'm saying , then turn your attention elsewhere. 

July 8, 2009, 1:23 pm CDT

Selfish!

I watched both of the episodes and am appalled on Brittneys decision, not with the adoption part, the part about having the "open" adoption! I think that when you put a child up for adoption you are washing your hands of raising that child! Don't get me wrong I think adoption is great for those who know they can't raise a child and for people who want children, but are incapable of having their own! I do have a problem with the ones that put up a child for adoption and want it to be an "open" one! To me it is not only unfair to the adoptive parents, but selfish on the birth parents part! It's like saying "Here! Raise my baby, feed it, love it, clothe it, support it finacially, but  I want it to know who it's "real" mom/dad is!"  Don't take this the wrong way, I am using this as an example not comparing a child to an animal, but it would be like selling your cow to a neighbor and expecting to get free milk from it when you want! It should be one or the other, you keep the child and raise it or you give it up for adoption and let that child seek you out when they are ready! Having an "open" adoption is a cop out, like the old saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it too!"

July 8, 2009, 2:52 pm CDT

Just Doesn't Get It...

So, I turned on Dr. Phil yesterday and was not very happy with what I saw. Teen pregnancy and people interested in what this 16 year old is going to do. Why don't we air shows about how to prevent teenage pregnancy not what they are going through and the tough decisions they have to go through. They are kids having kids who still ask mommy and daddy for help. They are not capable of raising a child if their parents still support them.

Then Alfac gave them $2,000 to help out with the cost...who is helping me or anyone other hardworking person who is or has ever been pregnant..the answer is nobody but ourselves.

People make mistakes but it seems like young girls are getting pregnant left and right.

Dr. Phil, I think you should air a show on prevention. Birth Control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are FREE clinics out there!

July 8, 2009, 9:09 pm CDT

Quote From: heyjah2001

So, I turned on Dr. Phil yesterday and was not very happy with what I saw. Teen pregnancy and people interested in what this 16 year old is going to do. Why don't we air shows about how to prevent teenage pregnancy not what they are going through and the tough decisions they have to go through. They are kids having kids who still ask mommy and daddy for help. They are not capable of raising a child if their parents still support them.

Then Alfac gave them $2,000 to help out with the cost...who is helping me or anyone other hardworking person who is or has ever been pregnant..the answer is nobody but ourselves.

People make mistakes but it seems like young girls are getting pregnant left and right.

Dr. Phil, I think you should air a show on prevention. Birth Control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are FREE clinics out there!

Finally!  Someone who shares my opinion.  I wish so badly pregnancy prevention was promoted more than birth control pills and condoms.  I feel like girls as young as 9/10 years old are being prepared for what do should they find themselves in the situation, when they should be taught to abstain until marriage.  For anyone that wants to turn my words around, I'm not saying it isn't taught at all, I'm saying it isn't taught enough.   

I don't agree with rewarding someone's bad behavior or their attempt to fix their mistakes in life with money, vacations, prized etc. However, I would venture to say that $2000 will go towards the baby's personal needs and not Brittneys.  The harsh reality is that people, like yourself, will always be penalized for doing things the right way.  

July 9, 2009, 7:36 pm CDT

I am 19 years old and I have two children.I had my first at 18 and my second at 19. Brittany made a very difficult decision to give her baby up for adoption. That is something I would have never been able to do. One thing people need to know though is that just because you are young doesn't mean that you can't take care of a baby. I take care of my children on my own without any financial help from my parents and they only watch the kids when they ask. I also finished high school and am currently going to college full time to get my RN and I also work. People need to know it's hard but not impossible.

July 10, 2009, 10:19 am CDT

Quote From: shelly_80

Finally!  Someone who shares my opinion.  I wish so badly pregnancy prevention was promoted more than birth control pills and condoms.  I feel like girls as young as 9/10 years old are being prepared for what do should they find themselves in the situation, when they should be taught to abstain until marriage.  For anyone that wants to turn my words around, I'm not saying it isn't taught at all, I'm saying it isn't taught enough.   

I don't agree with rewarding someone's bad behavior or their attempt to fix their mistakes in life with money, vacations, prized etc. However, I would venture to say that $2000 will go towards the baby's personal needs and not Brittneys.  The harsh reality is that people, like yourself, will always be penalized for doing things the right way.  

AFLAC didn't give that $2000 out of the goodness of their hearts. In that case, they would've done it anonymously. They did it as a tax write-off and a business promotion.

July 11, 2009, 11:49 am CDT

"Brittney Baby???"

Let her find out the hard way. She wants to do things her way, let her. If her (boy friend?) is 17/18 years old, you can fry his ass for rape and send him away for a long time. Brittney baby, you're a typical know it all, self- entitled, dumb ass bitch. Your parents should just kick you to the curb. Good luck!

July 13, 2009, 12:02 pm CDT

I was 16 when I had my son. It's a shame that she did not have the support of her parents. My parents supported me 100% as did his fathers parents. It's really not a tragedy, it can be done. I've done it and have been doing so for the last 7 years. I am now married to my sons father and we now have 3 children. During my pregnancy I stayed in school and continued on after birth to graduate 2 years later. From all we have learned from my first child, from all the hugs, all the laughter, all the patience, all the scrapes and bumps and all the sick nights, I would never trade to go back and re-live my teenage years. My life was going down hill when I was 16 and the pregnancy made me do a complete turn around. I always think about what my life would have turned out to be if I had not chosen to keep my child. I am very thankful that my children mean so much to me that I have changed my life because I wanted to and not because I had to, and it was all for them.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next Page | Last Page