Message Boards

Topic : 07/10 OCD

Number of Replies: 7
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 05:17:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine cleaning your house for hours on end, washing your hands up to 30 times a day -- sometimes until they bleed -- and having the urge to repeatedly check that doors are locked and appliances are turned off. This may sound like extreme behavior, but 2.2 million American adults live with a debilitating illness known as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Learn the warning signs and what you can do to overcome anxiety. Lisa says she's so petrified of germs that she scrubs her kitchen floor four to five times a day and constantly washes her hands. She even homeschools her three young children because she's afraid that being around other kids will make them sick! Her husband, Khristian, fears that they 're raising a bunch of "shut ins" who will be terrified of going out into the real world. Will Lisa be able to manage her disorder and move forward with her life? Plus, Phyllis, a former guest, says she cleaned 16 hours a day and rarely left her home. Find out how she's doing today, and hear the advice she has for Lisa. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 3, 2009, 10:16 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

C. D. Doctor O. Phil/Robin. That is  new one on me. But I will like it. See you on Friday July 10th, 2009. Sin-

cerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2009, 6:38 am CDT

This is my last touch and go HEADS UP: Dr. Phil is LIVE on his BLOG and TWITTER. Sincerely, SEA

GOOD OLD FASHION EXERCISE has been found to oxygenate brain, raise endorphin level and elevate mood and alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression, panic and EVEN alleviate OCD urges.

I wonder if there can be cyber acquired OCD as per so many of us spending so much time online. ..

Life is mostly habit. Practice, practice, practice is how we get both good and not so good habits. True, genetics plays a role yet many model after parents. In other words, it behooves us not to relinquish the steering wheels in our lives to genetical destiny per se' without intervening to at least try to practice, practice, practicing healthy (or healthier) habits as the case may be.

I'd rather a person resisting urges of SI have fingers on keyboard than SI(ing). Life, truly is a balancing act of how much time is spent on this or that. Honestly, my homeostasis is askew from practice, practice, practicing not always the best habits. Okay, I just named it so NOW to change it. Life is like economics: CHOICE.

Life may throw a monkey wrench into our lives, genetically/environmentally et al speaking, yet we don't have to monkey around with it and instead can get a handle on. Saying this I do not dismiss that genetics can and does play a role yet it doesn't have to be a leading role in our lives by throwing us throwing in the towel. We each just have to find what works and finding what works is like shopping for shoes... Not one size fits all and sometimes you have to shop around until you find the help that helps YOU, ME, WE whether medication, therapy, exercise etc.

LIFT OFF:
JOIN THE FUN
Dr. Phil is flying around the world in cyber space on his new BLOG

http://blog.drphil.com/

and on TWITTER

http://twitter.com

Cyber flight plans straight from the heart.
TWITTER HANDLES
@DrPhil
@Robin_McGraw
@JayMcGraw
@EricaMcGraw
@JordanMcGraw
@penninca Dr. Phil Show Producer

TWITTERVERSE
by SEA winging it on a wing and a prayer
@SEAangels14
July 4, 2009

Wandering in Twitterland
I saw Dr. Phil Family and Carla
Speaking tweet and you can too friend

July 10, 2009, 10:51 am CDT

Home Schooling?

Is Dr Phil opposed to home schooling in general? Or, just home schooling as his germophobic guest is practicing it?
I am not opposed to public schooling  children.
Nor am I opposed to home schooling, for the right reasons.
I think there are sound reasons for home schooling children, such as wanting to give them a better education than you think the public schools are capable of delivering, with so much of the teachers' time being spent on  refereeing rather than instructing their students.
And, there are many ways of socializing home schooled children. In fact, some I've met seem better socialized than some public schooled children.
But, the parents must be capable of keeping their children on at least the same grade level as they would be in a public school setting.
But, I think Dr Phil's guest is home schooling for extremely unsound reasons. And, going about it the wrong way.
Sheltering her children is seems an awfully silly reason for home schooling them. And, as her husband pointed out, they are well behind other children their age. Their mother is either incapable of teaching them. Or, so much of her time is spent cleaning that she doesn't have enough for teaching them.
And, she doesn't socialize them enough, either. So afraid they might catch a germ from one of their friends.
I think she's one mother who should not be home schooling her children.

July 10, 2009, 1:08 pm CDT

Great show

Nobody does a better job of educating the public about mental illness than Dr Phil.  I thought I knew a good bit about OCD but I learned so much today.  I was particularly interested to hear that treating the problem was not so much a matter of getting over the anxiety as it was a matter of learning to live with it until it tappered off on it's own.

Even if I don't have a particular illness, there is always something I can take from these shows to use in my own life.  Learning to live with small amounts of anxiety (like the anxiety I experience when I don't use food to sooth myself) is an important message.

July 10, 2009, 1:09 pm CDT

OCD Sufferer (7/10/09)

Shame on this woman for not recycling the paper junk mail and envelopes!

July 10, 2009, 8:00 pm CDT

Reasons to homeschool your kids

Well, Dr. Phil and I are on opposite sides this time.  He made a comment, something to the effect of, "Children who are homeschooled are more educationally delayed than those in public shool."  I happen to disagree!  I was in public school from kindergarten-5th grade. 

Keep in mind, I was in special ed classes and I was on medication for seizures so, I was sedated most of the time. Back then (late 80's), public school was required to pass special ed students whether they learned anything or not.  Needless to say, I was delayed.  In my 6th grade year I took the placement test for homeschool, I tested 4 years behind! It was only by the grace of God and homeschool I was able to catch up by 3 years and graduated only a year behind. 

I understand, like any other disorders, OCD completely controls its victims minds leading them to believe they are not in control.  But if that mother is homeschooling her kids for the sole purpose of sheltering them from others to keep them away from germs, then she's doing them a great dis-service.  I once heard that that those with OCD and germophobics get/stay sicker because they don't have the necessary anti-bodies to fight off germs and infection.  I was under the impression, when we come in contact with a normal amount of germs, we aquire anti-bodies to ward them off in the future, but I could be way off base.  It makes sense to me though. What do you think?

July 11, 2009, 9:20 am CDT

07/10 OCD

Quote From: shelly_80

Well, Dr. Phil and I are on opposite sides this time.  He made a comment, something to the effect of, "Children who are homeschooled are more educationally delayed than those in public shool."  I happen to disagree!  I was in public school from kindergarten-5th grade. 

Keep in mind, I was in special ed classes and I was on medication for seizures so, I was sedated most of the time. Back then (late 80's), public school was required to pass special ed students whether they learned anything or not.  Needless to say, I was delayed.  In my 6th grade year I took the placement test for homeschool, I tested 4 years behind! It was only by the grace of God and homeschool I was able to catch up by 3 years and graduated only a year behind. 

I understand, like any other disorders, OCD completely controls its victims minds leading them to believe they are not in control.  But if that mother is homeschooling her kids for the sole purpose of sheltering them from others to keep them away from germs, then she's doing them a great dis-service.  I once heard that that those with OCD and germophobics get/stay sicker because they don't have the necessary anti-bodies to fight off germs and infection.  I was under the impression, when we come in contact with a normal amount of germs, we aquire anti-bodies to ward them off in the future, but I could be way off base.  It makes sense to me though. What do you think?

Children who are home schooled are more educationally delayed than those in public school.
Maybe Dr Phil should quit listening to all that public school generated propaganda about homeschooling and find out for himself how much more educationally advanced many of the home schooled children are than their public schooled peers. And, better socialized, in many cases.
As I said, in my first post, there are some wrong reasons for home schooling children. Such as overly sheltering them from things they ought to be exposed to. Not only their peers, but also those germs that will help them develop the anti-bodies which will build up their immune system.
I also pointed out that Dr Phil's guest might not have enough knowledge to home school her children. Unless, she's spending time cleaning that ought to be spent on teaching them.  And, this incessant cleaning could cause those benign germs she's so afraid of to mutate into more potent forms to wreak even greater havoc on her children's undeveloped immune system.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page