Message Boards

Topic : 07/23 Classic Dr. Phil: A Family Divided: Meet the Family

Number of Replies: 13
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 03:09:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/18/03) Dr. Phil turns the spotlight on a family in serious crisis. They seemed perfect from the outside, but behind closed doors, bad choices, deceit and a teen pregnancy are tearing them apart. Meet Martin and Erin, and their two daughters, Alexandra and Katherine. During this season-long series, Dr. Phil goes in-depth and one on one with this family in crisis. He starts them on the long road to recovery by focusing on their most crucial issue: a pregnant teenage daughter and helps them rebuild their shattered lives one at a time.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 16, 2009, 1:33 pm CDT

07/23 Classic Dr. Phil: A Family Divided: Meet the Family

Since Dr Phil usually ends his ":classic" reruns with a current update, I hope he'll let us know what's become of Alex, this family's oldest daughter who gave birth to a son during his "A Family Divided" series. Alex was with the family when they appeared for two post-season updates, but was conspicuously absent from the last update, a congratulatory message the family taped for Dr Phil's 1000th show. I'm hoping he'll finally let us know what's become of her.

July 17, 2009, 9:28 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

A Classic Divided Doctor Erica Family Jay Jordan Phil/Robin The. I have never heard of this before. But I w-

ill watch it anyway. See you on July 23rd, 2009 Thursday. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------

July 23, 2009, 8:27 am CDT

Here's the long-awaited update on Alex!
She got married and gave Nathan a little sister!
Thanks for letting us know, Dr Phil!

July 23, 2009, 1:32 pm CDT

Dear Dr. Phil.

I am a 62 year old mother, grandmother.  I had a child at age 15.  I was an only child, I had wonderful parents who were very supportive.  I will say, my parents told me 'you were old enough to get into this situation and you have to make this decision to keep baby, or give up the baby.  I did make that decision and gave the baby up for adoption.  I worked with a baptist agency and have since found out that the family that adopted this child, adopted 3 other girls and had a wonderful family life.

I did try to find her several years ago, her father had just passed away and I did not want to do any more damage to the family by trying to come into her life.

I think that my parents made the best out of a bad situation.  I am not sorry that I gave this child up for adoption, I loved her so much I wanted her to have the best life she could, but I do wish that I could tell my side of why.  Maybe someday that will happen.

I hope that parents facing this issue would give their daughter support to make a very difficult decision.  A decision that only she can make because she has to live with that decision.  My Mom said 'When you are 30 years old, I don't want you to say, why did you force me into doing something I did not want to do.'

I made the decision and I own it.  I think of her almost every day. 

thanks for the opportunity to voice my story.

Maurene

July 23, 2009, 2:10 pm CDT

THANK YOU!!!

It was this family that really got me watching Dr. Phil. I was going through chemo and my sister and I would tune in and call each other during the commercial breaks (if we weren't together) and talk about what just happened...

I am SOOOOO happy to hear the update on everyone!! I've been waiting for it!! I am thrilled that everything seems to be going so well for everyone!! They really deserve it... I can imagine that doing the show series was really tough on them to have everything brought out and have to deal with everything in front of strangers. I commend them. And again, am SOOOO happy to hear that things are going so well!!

Would love to see an entirely current episode devoted to them where they are all able to come out and we can see the family we all got so attached to and hear right from them how things have changed and how everything is going...

July 23, 2009, 2:28 pm CDT

I would like to see more...

Of Alexandra, Katherine, Erin, and Martin the family divided next season! I watched them all those years ago and still think about them every once in a while. I just watched the classic show again and saw that Alex is now married and just had a new baby and everyone else is doing great! I would love to see them in another show. I hope they make an update show with the first Dr. Phil family!

July 23, 2009, 2:29 pm CDT

Family Divided, Alex

My daughter was pregnant as 15.  I resented it for a long time.  We had previous problems with her acting out and this was the "straw that broke the camels back".  I had just gone back to work for "college" money and I still had an eight year old at home.  My daughter was given all the alternatives but she was "in love" and thought her and the father would be together forever so she kept my GS.  Six months after he was born, the relationship with the father broke up.  She still had 1 1/2 yrs of HS so I quit my job to watch my GS because he was a preemie while she continued school.  It's hard enough for a teen to raise a full term baby but a preemie?

Having this baby effected everyone in the family.  It didn't only change my daughter's life, it changed ours too.  We had no help from the "other" side.  I did set up rules that once my daughter came home from school she was responsible for her son.  If I had made plans, mine came over what she wanted to do.  She had to give up her favorite sport, softball, to be home for her son.  I look back and think maybe I could have let her have that but then again, I was still raising a child and my husband was working nights.  I had to be there for my other daughter. Unlike some of her friends who had children around the same time, my daughter has never had another child.  From Hi School she went to LPN training, obtained a good paying job, bought her own home, car and has never asked us for anything.  At 31 she just completed her RN training and passed her boards.  My husband has said that my GS was sort of a blessing in disquise because my daughter did an about face after he was born.  She realized she would have to have a good paying job to support her son.   My GS?  He is now a happy, healthy 15 yr old.

July 23, 2009, 2:56 pm CDT

dont give your baby away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. hi my name is cathy and i to had a baby at fifteen. as a matter of fact by the thime i was 17 i had two children. and i would not have a life with out them.you will find a way to take care of your baby.God will bless you for loving his gift to you.he will help you.dont do this.i think you mother is acting selfish.and i think dad is hurt . when they see that little baby if they are human,and have a heart.they will step up and help.because they will love it as much as they love you and your sister.

thanks

July 23, 2009, 3:35 pm CDT

Our family that stayed together

I am very happy that this family stayed together and worked thru all of these problems.  My daugher (single and 29 yrs) and I were discussing the show.  Her commit was why a 15 year old child would have a say at all.  Of course, my reply is usually hearfelt towards anyones feelings.  However, I did remind my daughter of an incident involving her teenage years.  My daughter actually went thru an abortion at 16 years without my husband or I knowing or consenting.  I was devastated for her and myself.  We are way beyond what had happened but at the time it had amazed me how our laws would allow such a thing to happen.   I did call agencies to find out she did not need my permission.  I guess I find it hard to believe that a child's brain is not fully develope thru high school years but our laws enable them to make such important decisions. 

July 23, 2009, 3:58 pm CDT

My favorite Dr. Phil family

I was so excited to finally hear an update about this family! When this show originally aired, 6 years ago, I was just 17 years old and had just found out I was pregnant as well. I remember watching this family on the show every week with my own mother and feeling so close to what Alexandra was dealing with as she went through her struggles, as well as her parents dealing with her teen pregnancy. I am so happy to hear that the family is doing well, that Marty and Erin stayed together and that Alexandra is doing well & even married now! I do wish we would have heard more about the younger sister because she was just an absolute sweetheart on the show. My heart went out to her, &I would love to hear if she is doing well and if her relationship with her parents has improved. This whole family, though troubled, was so inspiring to me in the way that they stuck together and worked things out, thanks to Dr. Phil's help.

This was my favorite Dr. Phil family, but i also wondered about one more: I wish I could remember the name of the young man.. Dr. Phil had a show about a young man dealing with drug abuse (I believe it was the same season) He was very rude to Dr, Phil and refused rehab at first I believe, but reluctantly went for his family and I have not since seen an update, although I think he may have come back one time after. I would love to know if this young man is still doing well and if he stayed sober after receiving help from the show!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last