Message Boards

Topic : 07/28 Classic Dr. Phil: Trading Places

Number of Replies: 20
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 24, 2009, 03:00:18 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/16/03) Do you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence? Today's guests find out if it is as they trade for a day, and Dr. Phil gets in on the act too! One woman sees overweight people as lazy and arrogant. Will wearing a 300-pound suit for a day change her attitude? Plus, a stay-at-home mom finds out if the life of a trash collector is more exciting than her own. And don’t miss Dr. Phil pulling 7 G’s with the Blue Angels! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 28, 2009, 1:51 pm CDT

Over weight and not Caring?

The woman on the show today stating that overweight people just don't care..............

I wish I could let her know that 8 years ago I was involved in a job accident. I had respiratory injuries.

I was administered large doses of Prednisone(sp?) which is a very strong steroid.  This drug I had to take for over 2 years.  In the process I gained 70 lbs of weight, my face shape changed and other things changed also with me.  I have been off the drug for 3 years and have only been able to loose 25 lbs.  My face is still in the process of returning to normal.  I have about 50 lbs to go to get to my normal weight.  I hope that she never has to go through such as I have.  I am trying to loose but my body is making it difficult for me.  She really needs to think about what  really is  her  underlying issue to even have that kind of attitude.

July 28, 2009, 1:56 pm CDT

OMG

I am so angry about todays show that once again aired about the woman that was in the fat suit for a day, and she still discriminates overweight people. I am 37 years old and was 105 pounds when I got married.. I had a second child and after her birth I developed a thyroid condition and a pituitary gland problem that has totally stopped my metabolism. i am on medicine but still no luck. I do not sit around eating cake and cookies all day. I eat healthy food and I exercise but still have no luck with getting the weight off. People like her is what makes overweight women not want to even go in public. She should be ashamed of herself. What if we focused on something negative about her. She is a mom and I hope she doesn't teach her child to hate. She best not judge because I was way smaller than her before my problem. It could happen to her also.   Teach Your Child To Love Everyone..

July 28, 2009, 2:38 pm CDT

Molly seems to be the lazy one

wow, Dr. Phil I cannot believe the things Molly was saying and it seems like to me that the entire time she is looking at people thinking what a hard time they are having getting around becasue of their weight, not one time did she mention getting up to help anyone.

I was so hurt by this, becasue I was 20 yrs old when I was struck by a forklift at work, being pinned to a guard rail, and for almost a year i couldnt walk, turn over, or even go to the store, and I was in the best shape of my life, even with 2 small kids at home,

I remebered, as I listened to molly, crawling into my doctors office and crying becasue I was gaining weight from meds, and not being able to move of course, and the doctor told me there was nothing i could do at this time, he would talk to me until I felt better about myself, and It would work for a while until I would run into someone like Molly, and after spending hours trying to make my self presentable, and getting 10% of my self esteme being repaired, Looks that I would get from people like her would have me walk out of the store leaving cart behind, and going back home to cry,

So thanks Molly for your shallow minded opionons, and FYI, while I layed in bed n pain, I forced my self to live on celery and water and still gained form meds, But now that I am as good as new, I look way better than you,

most men prefer to have a women with a figure. I think we could help u put on a few pounds

July 28, 2009, 2:50 pm CDT

lady in the 300 pound fat suit

MOLLY SAID SHE DOES NOT LIKE FAT PEOPLE AND SHE THINKS FAT PEOPLE ARE LAZY  WELL WHY DOES NOT ASK MOLLY HOW ABOUT PEOPLE WHO HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT MAKES YOU SWELL FROM EXTRA FLUID DUE TO MEDICINE THEY MAY HAVE TO  TAKE TO PROLONG THEIR OR HELP THEIR CONDITION TO GET BETTER, HOW ABOUT IF ONE OF MOLLY'S RELATIVES WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER AND THEY HAD TO TAKE A MEDICATION THAT CAUSE THEM TO SWELL DOES  THAT MEAN SHE WOULD LOVE THEM ANY LESS. AND FOR SOME OF US WHO HAVE DIETED ALL THE TIME AND WHEN YOU GET TO  A CERTAIN PLATEAU IN YOUR WEIGHT LOSS AND IT IS HARD TO GET OFF THOSE LAST POUNDS WHAT CAN WE DO. AND ANOTHER THING THAT FRUSTRATES ME IS HOW ABOUT THE ONES OF US WHO ARE OVER WEIGHT WE DON'T GET TO DO LIKE MOLLY WE LIVE IN OUR FAT SUIT EVERYDAY AND  WE DON'T GET TO TAKE IT OFF AT THE END OF THE DAY BUT SHE GETS TO TAKE HER SUIT OFF AND GO BACK TO BEING SKINNY . HOW FAIR DOES SHE THINK IT IS TO JUDGE PEOPLE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW. I HATE TO TELL MOLLY WHAT IS SHE JUDGE AND JURY OF ALL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. WONDER DR. PHIL WHY DOES SHE NOT CHANGE HER NAME TO JUDGE MOLLY SINCE SHE WANTS TO SIT IN JUDGEMENT OF PEOPLE. WHAT IF PEOPLE TURNED IT AROUND AND JUDGED HER FOR HER LOOKS HOW WOULD SHE FEEL.  I WONDER WOULD IT BOTHER HER.

July 28, 2009, 2:51 pm CDT

07/28 Classic Dr. Phil: Trading Places

Dr. Phil:  Thank you for trying to straighten out that lady that has a tough time dealing with people who are overweight.  I was once like her and thought that I would never be overweight since a person could always quite eating and exercise and always have the control.  Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that this is not true since I have had cancer and a stem cell transplant.  I have multiple myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow).  I have to take steroids in order to stay alive and even if I don't eat, the weight does not come off.  I wonder at times just how many overweight people really do not have control over the pounds.  I have been hospitalized at times for numerous reasons, pnemonia, graft versus host disease, etc. and at the times I was hospitalized, I did not eat and was fed through intravenous or through a tube in my nose and each time I was hospitalized, I gained weight.  I would like to visit with that woman for 15 minutes and let her know how narrow minded and shallow she is . 

I used to tell my dad that the worst thing that could happen to me would be to become fat.  I learned that this is also not true.  The worst thing that could happen to me would be to still be that kind of a person who thinks that people who are overweight are lazy and have no self control.  I am not lazy, in fact, my husband tells me that I am the hardest working person he has ever met.  As far as self control - try having a bone marrow biopsy ever six months and don't cry during the proceedure.  I wish there was a way to talk to this person and tell her that overweight peope (I am 5'2" and weigh 185 pounds) need to be loved and accepted. 

I get the stares and I want to scream at times and tell people that cancer did this to me, but then I don't want people to feel sorry for me as well.   There are people who do eat too much and don't exercise enough and are overweight - and these people have hidden problems that cause them to be thier own worst enemies.  They should not be treated so harshly. 

Thank you for trying to show this woman that she should not judge overweight people.  I hope things will change but I am afraid that overweight people are judged harshly more than any other people on the planet.  If you ever invite this woman back, I wouldn't mind calling in or talking to her and trying to change her into thinking that everyone has a right not to be judged and everyone has a right to be treated with respect no matter what thier size.  I don't deserve to be treated bad just because I have to take medicine that causes me to be fat.   I would rather be fat than dead.

July 28, 2009, 2:56 pm CDT

Glad U Think The Same Way

Quote From: victorialynns

The woman on the show today stating that overweight people just don't care..............

I wish I could let her know that 8 years ago I was involved in a job accident. I had respiratory injuries.

I was administered large doses of Prednisone(sp?) which is a very strong steroid.  This drug I had to take for over 2 years.  In the process I gained 70 lbs of weight, my face shape changed and other things changed also with me.  I have been off the drug for 3 years and have only been able to loose 25 lbs.  My face is still in the process of returning to normal.  I have about 50 lbs to go to get to my normal weight.  I hope that she never has to go through such as I have.  I am trying to loose but my body is making it difficult for me.  She really needs to think about what  really is  her  underlying issue to even have that kind of attitude.

I am so sorry about your accident and I am glad that you are getting better. I am sorry if i was a little to angry when I posted but it really upset me knowing that she is one of the people that stares at us and judges us without even knowing our conditions.  Don't she know that we don't like being overweight and don't like not wanting to go in public because of people like her. Before my thyroid and pituitary conditions i was anorexic. I believe I was anorexic because of people like her.  Maybe We can support each other.

July 28, 2009, 3:46 pm CDT

Angry with Fat Suit Woman

I saw the show today about trading places and that woman who thinks that fat people are arrogant and selfish really got to me. I normally don't go on things like this...but she just got under my skin.
Let me tell you something Miss Molly, not everyone is "fat" because they choose to be. At 24 my older sister got pregnant. She had been heavier, not fat, all her life and really wanted to have a healthy pregnancy. She changed her eating and lifestyle habits. She had always only been able to lose about 10 pounds and plateau, but when she was pregnant she dropped 25 pounds like nothing. Even after this weight loss her belly still stuck way out though. At her first ultrasound the doctors found a massive tumor inside her belly, threatening her life and that of her unborn son. At 4 months pregnant she had to have surgery to remove this huge tumor. It ended up being cancerous, and her body had fought it for so long that it was wrapped in multiple layers of healthy tissue to protect the rest of her body.Thankfully her son survived, had to be born 6 weeks early, spend time in NICU and then 3 weeks after having him my sister had to start chemotherapy. She went through 6 months of this, having to live with my parents as she was also a single mother. She finished chemo in February of 2007, by October 2007 the cancer was back in her liver and spreading throughout her body. She had to go into radiation in December and ended up passing away on December 22 2007, leaving behind a 15 month old son. You tell me she was selfish and arrogant.
You said you don't know why people are fat. Let me tell you why. It's because of people like you. Overweight people are tired of being laughed at by you and that's why they don't go to the gym, that's why they're emotional eaters, that's why they are deppressed and don't leave the house. I saw a stroller in the clip of you...what kind of example are you setting for your child? What if your child ends up being overweight? If there's anything you get out of this it's that some people aren't overweight because they choose to be, like my sister. Sometimes it's truly unfortunate circumstances that cause them to be that way. But why would such a selfish, arrogant person such as yourself understand that?

July 28, 2009, 4:04 pm CDT

07/28 Classic Dr. Phil: Trading Places

Quote From: rhondaluther

I am so angry about todays show that once again aired about the woman that was in the fat suit for a day, and she still discriminates overweight people. I am 37 years old and was 105 pounds when I got married.. I had a second child and after her birth I developed a thyroid condition and a pituitary gland problem that has totally stopped my metabolism. i am on medicine but still no luck. I do not sit around eating cake and cookies all day. I eat healthy food and I exercise but still have no luck with getting the weight off. People like her is what makes overweight women not want to even go in public. She should be ashamed of herself. What if we focused on something negative about her. She is a mom and I hope she doesn't teach her child to hate. She best not judge because I was way smaller than her before my problem. It could happen to her also.   Teach Your Child To Love Everyone..

Women like the one on the show are CLUELESS, that's all I can say.  They pass judgement without ever bothering to obtaining all the facts and reasons.  That is why I say "until one has walked in another's shoes it's best to our judgmenetal opinions to ourselves."  I too, know what it feels like to be overweight and skinny.  When I was roughly about 6 I was on Tegritol for seizures.  At the time, wieght gain was not listed as a possible side effect for that medicine but my mom had her suspicions.  I weighed 86 lbs.  So my mom took me to my doctor after sometime and suggested that he change my medication.  He had the audacity to tell her she was a "Munch-housen mom."  He said,  "We'll try it your way Mrs. Green but I guarentee that isn't the problem" Three months later, I went back to him after changing to Dylantin, his very words were, "Where's Michelle?"  My mom said, "She's sitting right there!"  He didn't recognize me because I had lost 23 lbs.  Since then I have remained thin.  I've been seizure-free for 20 and I'm no longer on any medication.  So, I am a firm believer that people are not overweight solely because they're lazy or entertain themselves with food.  That may be the case for some, but I would venture to say most have medical issues. 

You said, "People like her is what makes overweight women not want to even go in public."  I want you to go in public with your head held high knowing NO ONE has a right to pass judgment because they don't know your battles.  She should be the going in public with her head hanging, not you.

July 28, 2009, 4:12 pm CDT

Another OMG!!!

I have never posted anything anywhere before, but I had to jump in and register today just so I could say how Impelled I was to speak up about this person on today's show in regards to fat people, I just can't believe someone is that insensitive to others, what planet does she live on? How did she ever become Mrs. Minneapolis and is raising her 6 year old daughter to be just like her. I don't understand how a person can even think that way and live on this earth, does she not believe in God or his teachings at all, she said she even has family that are fat, oh how they must feel....I am so angry at what she said that I am almost speechless, I am having trouble finding the words to really express my anger to her insensitivity.  Do onto others as you would have them do on to you, I feel sorry for her and her ignorance, she looks like she has been spoiled rotten her entire life and has never had to work, struggle or go through any of life's challenges that so many of us have, I am not extremely fat but I am FAT, I just quit smoking a year ago in April and have recently gained 60 more pounds so I am struggling to loose it and as we age it becomes harder and harder to take those pounds off and easier to put them on. I struggle like so many others to loose weight each day and have most of my life.  She is young so I would like to see her in about 25 years and I would pray to God that she has matured by then and has a better understanding of her fellow woman/man.

July 28, 2009, 5:26 pm CDT

Teens

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last