Message Boards

Topic : 08/13 Classic Dr. Phil: The Deadly Teen Choking Game

Number of Replies: 7
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 06, 2009, 02:25:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/05) What if you learned that your child was being choked or suffocated to get high? "Space Monkey" or "the choking game" is a dangerous trend sweeping the nation, and the consequences can be deadly. Robin says she witnessed her 14-year-old daughter and her friends giggling, choking and passing out. But what this mom saw was no laughing matter. Find out why her daughter enjoys the game, despite its dangerous repercussions. Then, Sarah's 13-year-old son made headlines when he died while playing the choking game. How can she move past the guilt? Plus, Dr. Phil addresses a trend that looks innocent on the surface but can affect teens in the worst way. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 7, 2009, 11:00 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Choking Classic Deadly Doctor Game Kids Phil/Robin The Teen. So far that will never happen to me at-----

all. See you on August 13th, 2009 Thursday. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------

August 13, 2009, 12:19 pm CDT

Sister

On february 4th 2008, i came home and went to my bed room. My sister, Sarah, was sitting there with a belt around her neck. She was trying to play the choking game. She was not moving or breathing. i ran downstairs got my parents and ran back up stairs and cut the belt off. She died in childrens hospital on February 17th after being taken off life support. She was 14 years old. I was 17. I think that it is GREAT that Dr. Phil is talking about this on the show because it is not something that you want to experience. I lost my best friend that day and still have troubles with it today. The weird thing is, which i think will help me, i found out i was pregnant the beginning of march. The doctor told me the baby was concieved February 4th 2009 and its a baby girl. She is due on my sisters favorite holiday, Halloween. I am naming her Sara Mackenzee after my sister. Just thought i would share this experience. 

Ana Hughes

August 13, 2009, 12:29 pm CDT

Teen Choking Game

Dr. Phil,

This isn't new to me or many young men that served in the USMC many years ago... I witnessed this game or so called initiation  in the same manner . We  or I never seen anyone die from this , but I am sure that some may have suffered either physically or emotionally.  I refused to let myself be choked. Tell the teens to think first before you let freinds talk you into something so dangerous.

Former Marine, 1970's

August 13, 2009, 2:16 pm CDT

Space Monkey

I had forgotten about this game until i watched dr phil today. I had participated in these types of games when i was about 13 and i am 20 now. I didn't do it because it because i thought it "felt" good but because we thought the reaction of the person was funny. We did the same thing, except we would choke ourselves and hold our breath, instead of having someone else choke us. After you were choked, you could still hear things around you and afterwards it felt like you had been that way for like an hour but you feel all tingly and weird. Some people would walk around or sit straight up, and some people would make noises so you didn't completely pass out or black out. One day i accidently gave myself a space monkey, because i stood up to quick. I did stop doing this a long time ago because you can tell it is not good for you. I have never done drugs or drank alcohol either so i dont think it was a way to get high for me.. It just felt and looked funny. But i do not recommend young kids to do this.

August 13, 2009, 2:51 pm CDT

08/13 Classic Dr. Phil: The Deadly Teen Choking Game

Quote From: wtrfromyeyes09

On february 4th 2008, i came home and went to my bed room. My sister, Sarah, was sitting there with a belt around her neck. She was trying to play the choking game. She was not moving or breathing. i ran downstairs got my parents and ran back up stairs and cut the belt off. She died in childrens hospital on February 17th after being taken off life support. She was 14 years old. I was 17. I think that it is GREAT that Dr. Phil is talking about this on the show because it is not something that you want to experience. I lost my best friend that day and still have troubles with it today. The weird thing is, which i think will help me, i found out i was pregnant the beginning of march. The doctor told me the baby was concieved February 4th 2009 and its a baby girl. She is due on my sisters favorite holiday, Halloween. I am naming her Sara Mackenzee after my sister. Just thought i would share this experience. 

Ana Hughes

I am so sorry you lost your sister/best friend.  I have two older sisters and I don't know what I'd do if I lost either of them.  Have you ever heard of the saying, "When God closes a door He opens a window?"  Your sisters life was the door, but your daughters life will be the window.  God has a way of orchestrating things. As humans, we don't always understand, but He has a perfect plan. I wish your baby could have known her aunt, as I'm sure you do also. 

I wish kids took this "game" more seriously.  They don't think about the possibility of brain damage or death.  Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think kids are playing these "games" out of boredom and it's sad. 

August 13, 2009, 5:25 pm CDT

Been There Done That - Happy to be Alive

I didn't get to see the show.  I only saw that last 5 minutes, but I was astounded that the 'game' I was addicted to in jr. high (27 yrs ago) is still being done by kids these days. I guess I shouldn't be shocked.  I was so addicted, I would do it to myself during class, at home, everywhere without anyone noticing.  I had marks on my neck, I did it so much.  Our gym teacher at the time heard about this 'choking game' being done by some girls and talked to all the girls in our grade.  She indicated that we were losing our brain cells and that wasn't enough to stop me.  It was one of my friends who pretended to do the choke and then proceeded to let us think that she was going to kill us while she was 'under the influence' - scared the crap out of me!  The thing that really concerns me is that it wasn't until last year that I told my mother about this addiction - she had no clue - didn't notice the marks on my neck or nothing.  I am scared that I won't notice the 'signs' of this or other addictions in my own kids.  I have always wondered it my addiction hampered my success in life.  Kids only do these things because they just want to be heard.  I hope I am listening to my kids.

August 22, 2009, 10:09 am CDT

Sarah

I saw the show on Aug 13, 2009 and can relate with Sarah. I did not lose a child to the choking game but to a car crash, my oldest(18) and only daughter. I still have 2 boys surviving, age 10 and 16. I understand the need to stay busy and try to make sure your childs death is validated, but I have also found that I am pushing my surviving boys away and if i search inside it is because I have been shown how much lossing a child can hurt and that it can happen to me. Sarah does not want to do the old things because of the feeling of loss that goes with it and is it possible she pushes her surviving son to the back burner so there are not those new memories if (god forbid) something should happen to him. I was justy surprised that this issue was not mentioned on the show as it is so prominate in my grief, the fear of lossing another paralizies my once closeness with my boys.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page