Message Boards

Topic : 08/18 'Fighting for My Children'

Number of Replies: 106
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 12, 2005, 06:24:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/17/05) Dr. Phil sheds light on two custody battles cases that have captured national attention and left the children caught in the crossfire. Michael, Linda and their two kids seemed to be the typical American family, but when the marriage started to crumble, the fight for custody ended up on Court TV. Why did Linda lose her kids to a man who's not their biological father, and is Michael an unfit parent because he used to be a woman? Then, model Bridget Marks made headlines when she was forced to hand over her twin daughters to their father. Tune in for her dramatic update and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 6, 2005, 12:55 pm CDT

08/18 'Fighting for My Children'

Quote From: yarles

whether michael is a man or a woman is neither here nor there as far as i'm concerned.the sight of him is enough.he gave me the creeps.i certainly would be sick having someone like him raising my children.i feel a great sorrow for those children,but in the end they should be with the mother.she is atleast fairly normal looking and definately loves the children or she would'nt have fought this long.michael on the other hand is definitely not father material.he is at best an uncle/aunt whatever.those kids must be in hell.
You definitely appear uninformed about transgenderism. 

September 6, 2005, 1:02 pm CDT

08/18 'Fighting for My Children'

Quote From: missjane2

OK OK OK.... but what I am saying is that I think it is related to damaged EMOTIONS more than anything else.  You say some come from NORMAL families.  BUT NORMAL?  You might have a family that looks perfect to the outside world, BUT when you watch the 24 hr 11/7 footage you see alot of the personalities that we see on this show who are NORMAL, but behind closed doors are CONTROLLING, or CRITICAL, or UNSUPPORTIVE.   

I had 2 very wonderful grandmothers in my life Who I can say loved me more anything.  No bully, No nothing can ever take from me the LOVE they gave me all the years. They MADE time for me ALL the time. And although they're gone now:  Their influence and Legacy still are with me.   

Now like I said when I talk to gender issue people, they say things like:  My dad always put me down or My mom always called me stupid.  or they complain of getting beatin' in bizarre ways. or THEY were never there. I think when you have a NORMAL so called family.... or a certain religious or public family they are worried about impressing others and what everyone thinks.  Their kids get scolded for not sitting up straight or petty things all the time.  They can't relax. or  being hurt by bizarre relationship details.  I mean this is a Hollywood society and you have to be really cute to be loved..... that is what society encourages.... unfortunately and not what is on the inside.  

It's hard because people see thru the eyes of how they are raised and JUDGE or BLAME other people when they haven't walked in the pain of their shoes or lack of them.  I don't know your story, but I do know the stories of some of those I know and it breaks my heart it really does.... that someone would have to endure some of the things they do in our world.  

Yes, there are some pretty screwed up people, some of whom just happen to be transgendered.   

But, we also have very successful people who are transitioning to the opposite sex, airline pilots, heart surgeons, even a Parliament member in New Zealand.  That still doesn't say anything about their family of orientation, except if they were soooo....screwed up, why are they so doggone successful in life? 

September 6, 2005, 4:40 pm CDT

Emotional Trauma

Quote From: genderbend

Yes, there are some pretty screwed up people, some of whom just happen to be transgendered.   

But, we also have very successful people who are transitioning to the opposite sex, airline pilots, heart surgeons, even a Parliament member in New Zealand.  That still doesn't say anything about their family of orientation, except if they were soooo....screwed up, why are they so doggone successful in life? 

You know what it is Genderbend.... Emotional Trauma causes people to DEVIATE from what is the NORM.   It doesn't have to mean gender confusion.... It could mean any number of the ways people react when they are hurt.... And it often times is a SECRET BURDEN and you don't know the depth of it that people carry and what is really in people's heart by not knowing them.  AND YOU KNOW WHAT..... along the lines of my "grieving over death THEORY"......  I was at a restaurant last week and there was this guy  in his 20's?  maybe dressed punky maybe where I couldn't tell his gender.... I mean I don't know I don't try to be nosy, BUT  I overheard him say to the guy sitting next to him:  "That is the song they played at my sister's funeral a few years ago."   Some people don't get over death and they act out.  And that is what I think, but WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN OPINIONS.

September 7, 2005, 10:58 am CDT

yarles

Quote From: yarles

wow!you said it all in one word.good for you.
that is pretty much it in a nut shell yes two women catfighting .Women tend to have raging hormones when it comes to their kids.Only thing is that Micheal or Michelle or whatever he goes by is not sure how to act because he still has all the woman parts according to Linda even after he decided to be come a man why keep female parts ?because its all in his mind about being a man if so get a darn sex change Micheal and be done with making us women look like fools.Born in the wrong body now thats "Poppycock"god i'm sure wouldn't say hey you are going to be born a woman but truly you are a man so i'll throw you down on earth figure it out for yourself like some other poster said .Give me a break !!

January 12, 2006, 9:31 pm CST

What is Gender Identity Disorder?

I have been researching GID, is anyone familiar? I worry about my 5 year old son.

October 3, 2008, 3:39 pm CDT

CHILDREN & DIVORCE

I was divorced many years ago and had a 2 year old and a 7 year old.  My ex talked to the children for many years about how terrible I was, and all the bad things I did as a Mother.  Sadly, I lost one of my children, years ago, but the other has been finding out what kind of person her father is, over the years.  When my daughter died, my ex told her sister not to send me the last picture taken of her because he wasn't happy with the funeral I gave her.
 I never even asked her how he was when she visited him, until he became ill.  The last conversation we had I casually asked how he was doing and she told me she has, and wants, no contact with him.  I told her I was sorry to hear that, but she said it  was her decision, and she realized it was something that should have been done, years ago.  She and I have had many a rocky relationship, but at the time I didn't realize the terrible things he was telling her about me.  The best way I found to live with this situation, is to not have any contact with him, and if my children asked questions about him, I told them to call him and ask.  The bad feelings never go away, and the hurt is there, since the children are a bond with him forever.
MR

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next Page | Last Page