Message Boards

Topic : 08/18 'Fighting for My Children'

Number of Replies: 106
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 12, 2005, 06:24:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/17/05) Dr. Phil sheds light on two custody battles cases that have captured national attention and left the children caught in the crossfire. Michael, Linda and their two kids seemed to be the typical American family, but when the marriage started to crumble, the fight for custody ended up on Court TV. Why did Linda lose her kids to a man who's not their biological father, and is Michael an unfit parent because he used to be a woman? Then, model Bridget Marks made headlines when she was forced to hand over her twin daughters to their father. Tune in for her dramatic update and join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 18, 2005, 3:55 pm CDT

Well Put

Quote From: i_think

First of all,  we are only hearing what they want us to hear... there is obviously more to this story then we have been privileged to hear about.  Yes Michael may have started his life as a woman, but it is more then apparent that he is more comfortable being a man or at least playing the role of one. Perhaps Linda has some skeletons in her closet...  Why would a judge award him custody?  A mother has got to do something to lose that right.......    

As for Michael....... woman or man.....  The fact that he or she stood up and became their dad is being more of a man then many other men who have fathered children and have nothing to do with them...  

I think that too many people are missing the most important part of all.........what is best for the children...  

I agreee with you 100%. I coulnd't have said it any better. Bravo!!!!!

August 18, 2005, 3:59 pm CDT

Bridget and twins

I guess I'm the only viewer who thinks that a model who sleeps with a married man, and then is found to have lied about the married man molesting their twins, deserves to be on supervised visits.  We're applauding a woman who sleeps with married men, and then gets rich off child support.  Why would anyone think a woman who stands in front of her children making a scene for the cameras calling the kids father right in front of the twins an evil man, deserves custody of the children?  When she was with this married man being irresponsible was he an evil man?  She doesn't deserve custody of her children.  Making the false allegation of sexual abuse is horrible and is considered child abuse.  I'm sure she only got the kids because the millionaire and his wife really didn't want them, but probably just wanted to teach her a lesson about lies and extortion. 

August 18, 2005, 4:31 pm CDT

genderbend

Quote From: genderbend

As a female to male person myself, I find it very disrespectful that you refer to Michael as a "supposed man" and refer to him as "her/she."  Does it really threaten your own gender identity so much that you can't respect another person enough to call them by the pronoun they prefer?  Does gender really matter that much to you that you must police it?
thats because Micheal is a woman regardless .she was not born a man if god wanted her to be a man she would have been one just like you!there is a reason for man and woman its called adam &eve look it up in the bible not eve &eve.micheal might love the kids but she didn't carry them for nine months did she?

August 18, 2005, 4:35 pm CDT

jadaok

Quote From: jadaok

I guess I'm the only viewer who thinks that a model who sleeps with a married man, and then is found to have lied about the married man molesting their twins, deserves to be on supervised visits.  We're applauding a woman who sleeps with married men, and then gets rich off child support.  Why would anyone think a woman who stands in front of her children making a scene for the cameras calling the kids father right in front of the twins an evil man, deserves custody of the children?  When she was with this married man being irresponsible was he an evil man?  She doesn't deserve custody of her children.  Making the false allegation of sexual abuse is horrible and is considered child abuse.  I'm sure she only got the kids because the millionaire and his wife really didn't want them, but probably just wanted to teach her a lesson about lies and extortion. 
LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING,IF I WERE BRIDGET AND THIS SCUM OF A MAN TRIED TO TAKE MY KIDS YOU WANNA BELIEVE I WOULD BE UP IN HIS FACE CROWD OR NOT.HE HAD NO REGARD TO THE SAFETY OF THOSE KIDS.PUT THEM IN A CAR NO SEATS AND TOOK OFF. PISSED YOU BET.AND FURTHER MORE WHY DID HE DENY THE KIDS FROM GOING TO CHURCH ?BECAUSE BRIDGETTE USE TO TAKE THEM THATS WHY.WHY WOULDN'T HE LET THEM TALK TO HER?BECAUSE ITS REVENGE THAT HE WANT S BECAUSE SHE WAS GOING TO LEAVE HIM BECAUSE HE WAS ABUSIVE TO HER THATS WHY.surprise guy

August 18, 2005, 4:59 pm CDT

Be Yourself

As a person who was raised and lived as a female for 38 years, and as a person who now presents as an emotionally stable, "born again Christian" man of 10 years, I believe that I have a unique perspective on how men and women live, being that I have lived both.

Way to go, Dr. Phil!  The critical issues are the relationships both Linda and Michael form with the children, not Michael's gender identity.  Michael and Linda really "don't" get it!

Linda, I think that it is great that you have become a born-again Christian, and want that for Michael and your children.  But to imply that one can't be transgendered and "born again" is a lie straight from the pit of hell, and therefore I respectfully disagree with you.  I would challenge you to find transgenderism "per se" as a sin "anywhere" in the Bible. 

The "only" verse which Bible-believing Christians have been able to come up with is "Male and female He made them."  But the problem with using that verse as an indictment against transgenderism is that 1) it is not a commandment and 2) it doesn't explain why God made intersexed persons, persons born as both sexes in one form or another.

And as a Christian, surely you know that God looks at one's heart and motivations for acting on any particular behavior, more than the behavior itself.  For example, there is a world of difference between  a single person who transitions to the opposite sex verses a married person.  The "morality" of the situation changes at that point.  Please don't degrade transgenderism to a sin status when there is no Bible basis for it.

Secondly, Michael, what are you doing?  Having an affair on your wife and you say that you love her kids?  Give me a break!  If you loved her kids, then you would have loved their mother enough not to have not broken your commitment to her!

As fellow brothers in transgenderism, it doesn't help us convince people that we are morally and ethically sound people when you show this side of instablility.  "Any" man can have an affair on his wife.  Don't you want to be a "man's man" and stand above the crowd?

Linda and Michael,  it is my opinion as a transgendered person that both of you need to grow up.  Your immaturity has "nothing" to do with the who's a man and who's a woman garbage, but one of character, which has "nothing" to do with gender identity. 

Thanks for being respectful of the transgender issue, Dr. Phil.  I was holding my breath with you!

August 18, 2005, 5:06 pm CDT

Why are you so threatened?

Quote From: 101160

thats because Micheal is a woman regardless .she was not born a man if god wanted her to be a man she would have been one just like you!there is a reason for man and woman its called adam &eve look it up in the bible not eve &eve.micheal might love the kids but she didn't carry them for nine months did she?
So what if a person was born one sex or another?  How do you explain, by your own terms, that God made intersexed persons, persons born as both male and female? About one in one hundred thousand people, according to John Hopkins University.  And by the way, I was raised female, but now live as a man...

August 18, 2005, 5:10 pm CDT

Ditto...Ditto

Quote From: janekrisch

I agreee with you 100%. I coulnd't have said it any better. Bravo!!!!!
 I concur also...

August 18, 2005, 5:11 pm CDT

kIDS AGES

The Children ages 13 and 16 are old enough to have input with the courts on where they would like to live and why.  They might have already done this and is why they are in the household that they are in.

August 18, 2005, 6:35 pm CDT

Are you kidding me

Quote From: 101160

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING,IF I WERE BRIDGET AND THIS SCUM OF A MAN TRIED TO TAKE MY KIDS YOU WANNA BELIEVE I WOULD BE UP IN HIS FACE CROWD OR NOT.HE HAD NO REGARD TO THE SAFETY OF THOSE KIDS.PUT THEM IN A CAR NO SEATS AND TOOK OFF. PISSED YOU BET.AND FURTHER MORE WHY DID HE DENY THE KIDS FROM GOING TO CHURCH ?BECAUSE BRIDGETTE USE TO TAKE THEM THATS WHY.WHY WOULDN'T HE LET THEM TALK TO HER?BECAUSE ITS REVENGE THAT HE WANT S BECAUSE SHE WAS GOING TO LEAVE HIM BECAUSE HE WAS ABUSIVE TO HER THATS WHY.surprise guy

If she hadn't been up in this married man's face behind his wife's back she wouldn't have to be in a crowd.  You want to talk about the safety of a kid.  The father could go around the corner and buckle the kids in, outside the camera's surrounding Brigetts staged drama performance after she lost custody.  How safe are they with her, when a court found that she and her mother lied about the twins being sexually abused by their father.  You don't think that's a safety issue up there with seat belts?  Besides those big kids should have been getting in and buckling themselves in their seatbelts.  That's what most decent mother's teach their kids from birth.   Now to address the rest of your post, how do we know that the father denied the kid's from going to church, or wouldn't let them talk to their mother, and really he had, had this woman in the most intimate way, what's the likely truth?  She slept with the married man, got pregnant because he was rich, then got pissed because he wouldn't leave his wife and make her a trophy wife with new babies.  This is a woman who was a mistress and now you and Dr. Phil think she's a respectable and credible woman?  Hello?????  Was she going to church when she was with the married man trying to get pregnant so he'd leave his wife?  Maybe the cheating baby daddy is too guilty to go to church.  This woman pulled out all the stunts, to get her way and you bought it.  I thought it was laughable when she said that a man she was fooling around with for years wanted to marry her, but suddenly after she had her twins she suddenly fell out of lust with him and wanted to leave?  When this father does speak out, I bet a bunch of people will see that mistresses are coniving, sneaky, and selfish.  

I'm not letting the father off, but to lie about a kid being molested because you're about to loose custody, that's one of the lowest and cruelest things a mother can do.  Those kids will be scarred forever because of this fact that was proven in court to be true.  

One day we'll learn that you can't believe everything that comes out of a woman's mouth just because she is a woman.   

In closing if she hadn't been fooling around with a married man she wouldn't be in this situation.    

Wonder how much money Bridgett will rake in on that double child support, that she'll likely use to support herself.  

I hope the father takes her back to court and gets those girls back.  They'd be better raised by a nanny than this vindictive woman.  If she weren't a pretty model, no one would have even noticed this mistresses story.  

August 18, 2005, 6:46 pm CDT

genderbend

Quote From: genderbend

So what if a person was born one sex or another? How do you explain, by your own terms, that God made intersexed persons, persons born as both male and female? About one in one hundred thousand people, according to John Hopkins University. And by the way, I was raised female, but now live as a man...
how do i explain it .i don't have to explain it .its the way god made man with dust from the earth and woman from a rib,so why would i not think this way .let me ask you this why ?why change?I reallly don't care about studies from a university .you were made what god created you to be a woman i see nothing different at all.born a woman always a woman in my eyes .

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last