Message Boards

Topic : A Circle of Friends Cookbook

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 19, 2005, 06:22:54 am
Author : mysherona

Welcome to A Circle of Friends With Loving Support recipe board.

Share your HEALTHY recipes.

Enjoy!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 12, 2006, 2:30 pm CST

Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Pudding

Chocolate Cinnamon Bread Pudding

Fat: 5.4 g
Carbohydrates: 82.4g
Calories: 427.5
Protein: 14.9g

When the craving for chocolate hits, try this Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding. The warm melted chocolate makes it a definite comfort food, while the whole wheat bread and evaporated skim milk adds to its nutritional punch.

5 slices whole-wheat or white bread, torn into small pieces
2 large eggs
12 ounces evaporated skim milk
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking dish. Spread the bread in the dish in an even layer. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the evaporated skim milk, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. With a fork, mix in any unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top and let stand for 10 minutes. Bake for 35 minutes, or until puffed and set in the center. Serve warm, with a scoop of the frozen yogurt on top.

Makes 6 servings.

I used regular skim milk and brown sugar replacement...wonderful.....didn't even want the frozen yogurt on it...

Janet

December 13, 2006, 1:37 pm CST

Butternut Squash with Pomegranate & Cinnamon

My interpretation of a recipe from Whole Foods Deli

This is SO SIMPLE... (If you can find the Pomegranate Juice and/or Pomegranate Molasses...I found the molasses at a place called Indian Emporium - or something like that...but EASTERN grocery store should carry it...maybe... you can also find it on-line...but places like Whole Foods and Wild Oats carry the Juice in bottles - but it's a little expensive...but you don't use that much)

Remember - this is using 10 CUPS of Butternut Squash - so reduce amounts accordingly...

10 Cups of diced Butternut Squash (I took the "neck" of the squash - not the round portion containing the seeds - I use that for another dish)  Slice the "Neck" of the squash in about 1 inch slices and then cut off the outer peal...and then slice into cubes...1/2 Cup cooked per serving

1/2 Cup pomegranate juice and 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (either/or combination)

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Place the squash cubes in large baking pan (I used oval Nesco Roaster) - drizzle pomegranate juice over and then sprinkle the ground cinnamon...then I take a baggie over my hand and mix by hand to cover all the pieces...

Roast at 325 degrees for approx. 45 min...but test for doneness...  It will make it's own "syrup" but did not use sugar of any kind and the pomegranate is high in antioxidants...  Cinnamon is good for controlling blood sugar...  And the squash is healthy too...fiber, and lots of other benefits..(ORANGE - remember our exercises in including COLOR in our meals)...

Dh really enjoyed it too.  and everyone today said they would make it at home and asked where I found the Pomegranate (they will probably wonder why the run on it...lol)

Connie

December 29, 2006, 8:32 am CST

Butternut Squash Soup

3 tbspn butter or margarine or i cant believe its not butter

1 large onion - chopped

2 tbspn curry

1 teaspn chili powder

5 cups of chicken broth (I use College Inn Light & 99% Fat Free/50% less sodium chciekn broth)

butternut squash (recipe doesnt say how much squash but I remember I cut and peeled it before putting it in mixture!)

3 cups apples (recipe suggests granny smith -- I used macintosh) - peeled, cored & chopped

salt and pepper

1/2 cup of skim milk (recipe suggests heavy cream)

1 tbspn parsely or cilantro - chopped

1 chicken breast - cut up (I added to add protein & because was more like sauce than soup)

1/2 cup wild grain rice or whole wheat pasta or low carb pasta (I added rice to thicken it too)

Melt butter over medium heat.

Add onions to butter and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add curry and chili powders.  Mix well.

Cook, stirring occassionally, 5 minutes.

Stir in 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, squash and apples

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to boil and reduce heat.

Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes until squash is very tender.

Stir occasionally.

Starin soup, reserving liquid.

Puree veggies in food processor.

In same pot, combine veggie puree, reserved cooking liquid, milk, remaining chicken broth, and cut up chicken breast.

Simmer.

Add wild grain rice (same directions as if make in water) or make pasta in seperate pot and pour over pasta (so pasta stays firm).

Garnish with parsley and/or cilantro and serve.

December 29, 2006, 8:42 am CST

Butternut Squash Soup (another one -- didn't make this one though(

This one I found online too but haven't made since I made the other one and loved it!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

1 butternut squash, peeled, cubed
1 leek or large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
dry white wine or vermouth
2 tbls. flour
3 cups soy milk
frozen corn (optional)
salt to taste

Possible garnishes : dill weed and low fat sour cream

Steam butternut squash in vegetable steamer. Reserve 1 cup of the steaming liquid for the soup. Meanwhile braise the onion or leek and red pepper in the wine or vermouth. Add the flour and stir constantly to prevent sticking. Add more wine if neccessary to keep it the mixture moist. Add 1 cup of reserved liquid from steamed squash and 3 cups of skim milk. Add steamed butternut squash and simmer all together so that milk is heated through and soup begins to thicken a little.

Transfer soup to a blender a few cups at a time and puree. After pureeing soup add corn if desired but this is optional. You will need to salt to taste. Garnish with dill weed and sour cream if desired. 

December 29, 2006, 8:45 am CST

And yet another Butternut Squash soup recipe (again didn't make this one either)

INGREDIENTS:

·                6 tablespoons chopped onion

·                4 tablespoons margarine

·                6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash

·                3 cups water

·                4 cubes chicken bouillon

·                1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram

·                1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

·                1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

·                2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1.                                In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.

2.                                Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

This recipe is featured within our Allrecipes cookbook. If you would like to learn more, please click http://allrecipes.com/arcookbook/

December 29, 2006, 8:47 am CST

The first Butternut Squash recipe (with apples)

I had found online and was from

Source: Victoria Magazine, January 1994

ENJOY!

December 29, 2006, 9:22 am CST

Acorn/Spaghetti Squash recipes

(Rhonda gave me these recipes...She didn't give me measurements so I just winged it...my comments/changes in Italics...thanks Rhonda!)

ACORN SQUASH: (This is so good it tastes like dessert and makes the kitchen smell good too!)

Mix cooked wild rice, raisins, cinnamin, apples, a touch of maple syrup, a bit of brown sugar (Splenda has one), Smart Smart  - light butter with no trans fat (or butter or butter buds) and  ground turkey.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Then bake it (I always put a bit of water in the pan) and them cover with foil so it doesn't dry. Once done...I scoop it out and mash it up. 

SPAGHETTI SQUASH:

Bake until you can scoop out the strings (not over done though) then sautee it (with non stick spray if you wish) with sliced carrots (I cut long strips), garlic, oniions, string beans (I use fresh long ones), zucchini (I cut into long strips as well). I use extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and a tad of smart start. Oh and a dash of white wine while cooking near the end if you wish.

You can top with grilled chicken, fish, scallops...what ever floats you boat or nothing at all.

December 29, 2006, 9:26 am CST

Brunswick Stew

(I got this recipe from a follow UWC program follower whose name is Nanci and her username on Dr Phil is nkprn79....thanks Nanci! My suggestions/changes in italics and parenthesis.)

Brunswick Stew

1 three pound chicken (I use boneless/skinless chicken pieces and cut them up)  

Celery salt (I use fresh celery so as not to get extra salt)

Onion powder, garlic powder and pepper  

3 C. water  

1½ C. roughly diced potatoes  (I omit potatoes or use low carb or whole wheat macaroni instead)

1 box frozen large lima beans 

1 1/2 C. sliced carrots - prepackaged crinkle cut work great! 

1¾ C. tomato sauce  

1 large diced onion  

1½-2 C. frozen corn  

1 Tbsp. sugar or equivalent sugar substitute (I omit this) 

½ tsp. basil  

½ tsp. oregano  

¼ tsp. cayenne pepper or more, suit to taste (I omit this)*

1. Cook chicken slowly in water, celery salt, onion and garlic powders, and pepper about 2 hours.  Remove when fully cooked, skin and de-bone, cutting meat into pieces.   (as I stated above I use boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut up)
   2. Skim chicken fat from broth.
   3. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer until vegetables are tender.  Feel free to change vegetables, to your personal preference.   
   4. Serve with muffins or crusty bread and a salad.  (*I have found if I omit the cayenne pepper I don't need the bread!)

December 29, 2006, 9:30 am CST

Pot Roast

(I make two roasts in two crockpots so we have leftovers cause everyone loves this meal....and in my house that is a rare occurrence! )

potatoes -- sliced and peeled (I omit these & let kids make mashed instead as don't tempt me!)

3lb roast (I use beef chuck pot roast as I find tastier and falls apart easier but have made with rump roasts or leaner cuts too)

water

dash of worcheshire sauce (or beef broth)

2 beef bullion cubes (I omit these now cause haven't find one that isn't all salt!)

dash of onion powder or onion cut up

dash of garlic powder or minced garlic

dash of pepper

handful of peas

handful of carrots

handful of lima beans

handful of corn

handful of pea pods/snap peas

handful of green beans

handful of broccoli

handful of cauliflower

handful of any frozen veggies to your taste

(powdered gravy mix, corn starch and bullion cubes or Heinz Fat Free Savory Beef Gravy*)

Put potatoes in bottom of Crockpot (or pot on stove if you prefer).  Then add roast to Crockpot with enough water to cover roast.  Add a dash of worcheshire sauce (not too much as is does have high fructose corn syrup in it -- just enough to color the water and flavor it too!)  Next add onion (or onion powder), garlic and pepper.  (i don't add any salt -- let others add it if wish but I don't use salt in my cooking and try not to use when eating...)  Cook for 6 hours and then add frozen vegetables (if fresh veggies add earlier as just heating frozen ones -- already cooked).  Then cook for another hour or two.  Roast should fall apart when done!  (My hubby then takes meat drippings, drains off the fat and makes gravy with powdered brown gravy mix , corn starch and beef bouillon cubes but I just use the juices in Crockpot to moisten the meat or I buy Heinz Fat Free Savory Beef Gravy -- *1/4 cup is 20 calories, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 290mg Sodium, 4g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g sugar & 1g protein). 

December 29, 2006, 9:31 am CST

Homemade chciken soup

4 cans (48 oz.) College Inn Light & Fat Free Chicken Broth*

6 breasts of chicken -- if defrosted cut-up/if not cut up after an hour of cooking in broth*

several pieces of escarole or spinach -- cut up

several celery stalks -- cut up

1 handful of frozen peas

1 handful of frozen corn

1 handful of frozen green beans (broken down/cut up into smaller pieces)

1 handful of frozen pea pods/snap peas (cut up into smaller pieces)

1 handful of frozen lima beans

1 handful of frozen broccoli (diced)

1 handful of frozen carrots (diced)

or any vegetables not mentioned to suit taste

minced garlic

onion powder

basil

parsley

pepper

?ww pasta or low carb pasta or ww noodles (I prefer to use elbows or small shells)

Pour chicken broth into a big pot and put on low flame.  Add chicken and then other ingredients.  (Spices last -- sorry I don't know measurements for spices as I just add them to taste....) If chicken and vegetables are not cut up then remove after an hour and cut up and return to broth.  Cook at low flame for four hours stirring occasionally.  Prepare pasta or noodles before serving and add them to the bowl not to the pot (As they can become wilted or mushy upon reheating.  Besides this way if you want a carb you add pasta but if you don't add pasta you can have protein and veggies for a meal...add a salad and there you have more veggies and the combo is quite filling!)

* For a different flavor add beef pieces cut up or cubed and beef broth (for beef soup) or skip the meat and add tomato

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next | Last