Message Boards

Topic : A Circle of Friends Cookbook

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 19, 2005, 06:22:54 am
Author : mysherona

Welcome to A Circle of Friends With Loving Support recipe board.

Share your HEALTHY recipes.

Enjoy!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 31, 2007, 8:57 pm CST

A Circle of Friends Cookbook

Japanese Cabbage Salad

1/2 Medium head of cabbage, shredded

4 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts

2 cups fresh white mushrooms

1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted

1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, toasted

2 tbsp seseme seeds, toasted

2 green onions, chopped

Asian Dressing

seasoning packet from instant noodles

1/2 cup cooking oil (olive oil)

3 tbsp white vinegar

2-4 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

package instant noodles (chicken flavour)

Dry chow mein noodles

Put fist 7 ingredients into large bowl. Toss

Asian Dressing: Empty seasoning packet into jar with tight-fitting lid. Add next 6 ingredients. Shake well. Makes about 3/4 cup dressing. Drizzle over salad. Toss well

Just before serving, break up instant noodles. Scatter over top. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Makes about 20 cups! Serves 10-12

This recipe is from the Company's Coming Potluck Dishes. So of course you can cut your ingredients in half or even in fourths.

For variation: I buy the coleslaw in the bag. And if you want you can replace the sugar with splenda. I didn't put the tsp of salt called for. Thought it was salty enough with the seasoning packet. And I only used a tbsp of soy sauce. I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil

This makes a large salad. I only made this original recipe once and took it to a potluck. I make it in a more simpler form. Here's what I do.

I grab a handful of bagged cabbage. Put it in a container. Just one serving, enough for me. I toast about a tbsp each of sunflower seeds and almonds, and a sprinkle of seseme seeds in a pan until lightly browned. Believe me, more flavor if you toast them.  I make the asian dressing and keep it in a jar in the fridge. So anytime I feel like having the salad, it's simple to make and I just add about 2 or 3 tbsp of the dressing. And I top it off with a bit of the dry chow mein noodles (their an orangy color)

I skip all the other ingredients, like the bean sprouts, mushrooms, onions and package of noodles. Unless I have those veggies on hand, I'll use them, but I usually don't have them and the salad tastes just as good without them. I think it's the dressing and the nuts that make it taste good.

I normally don't add chicken, but I thought I would try it. The recipe says you can add shrimp or chicken, but that's optional.

I hope I typed that out right, if you don't understand something, just ask!! lol

Loosey

February 1, 2007, 6:29 am CST

Chicken pot pie (crust too)

1/4 cup of butter or margarine or can't believe its not butter or the like

1/4 cup sliced celery

1/3 cup chopped onions

2 chicken bouillon cubes (I am still looking for the sodium free ones!)

1/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

1/2 teaspoon salt (I would omit especially if boullion cubes have sodium)

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 1/4 cup milk

2 cups cooked chicken, cubed

1/2 pkg mixed veggies (Felicia used corn, limas, peas and green beans but make to your liking)

1 double recipe of pastry crust (below)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a 3 quart saucepan, saute' celery, onions and bouillon in butter ovcer medium heat until tender.  Stir in flour, parsley, salt, thyme and pepper.

Gradually stir in milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce bubbles and thickens.  Stir in chciken and vegetables.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Prepare pastry for double crust pie.  On lightly floured surface roll 1/2 of the dough.  Place in 9" pie plate.  Pour in chicken filling.  Roll out top crust.  Make slits for steam vents.  Place over filling.  Flute edges together.

Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Pie crust (2 crust pie):

2 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoon shortening

4-5 cups cold water

Measure flour and salt into bowl.  Cut in shortening with pastry belnder until resembles small peas.  DO NOT CREAM THE SHORTENING!  Sprinkle the water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans the sides of the bowl.  Roll into desired size using a wooden board, pastry cloth and stockinet cover.

February 7, 2007, 8:30 am CST

Branflakes Pancakes

Branflakes Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

dash of salt

3 egg whites (3 tbsp)

1 tbsp melted butter

1 cup skim milk

1 cup water

1 cup crushed branflakes (almost ground)

1. Stir together flour,  crushed branflakes, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
  2. In medium mixing bowl, egg whites, milk, water and melted butter
  3. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, stirring just until combined
  4. Batter will be kind of thick. Put about 1/2 cup batter in pan. spread batter to make round. Turn over when underside is brown.
  5. You will get between 6-12 pancakes, depending on how much batter you use.
  6. OPTIONAL- I added 2 tbsp ground flax seed and a scoop of protein powder. (for extra fiber and protein)
  7. If it's a bit too thick, just add a little more water.

I made 6- 6"round pancakes. I ate 2 and froze the other ones for a rainy day! lol

But they are really good.

Loosey

March 19, 2007, 1:08 pm CDT

Tofu Lasagna

3 tablespoons oil 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 (796 ml) can meatless sauce (or homemade sauce) 1/2 cup wheat germ 1/2 teaspoon salt fresh ground black pepper 1 (500 g) package mashed tofu 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups) 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley 6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained

1. Heat oil in large frypan, stir in mushrooms and garlic and sauté until softened.
  2. Stir in spaghetti sauce, wheat germ, salt and pepper and heat through.
  3. My favorite sauce is Prego.
  4. Combine tofu and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in one bowl.
  5. Combine Mozzarella cheese and parsley in another bowl.
  6. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  7. To assemble spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of a 12 x 8 inch baking pan.
  8. Place 3 of the lasagna noodles over sauce.
  9. Spread half of tofu mixture over noodles evenly, then half of Mozzarella mixture.
  10. Spoon half of remaining sauce over, then remaining 3 strips noodles, tofu mixture, then Mozzarella mixture, and finally remaining sauce.
  11. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
  12. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese melts and dish is thoroughly heated through.
  13. Serves 6 to 8.

May 10, 2007, 7:10 am CDT

Saucy Swiss Steak (from KraftFoods.com)

1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing*

1 boneless chcuck blade or shoulder steak (1 lb.) cut into 4 pieces

1/4 cup of flour*

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained

1/2 cup beef broth

1 cup chopped green peppers (about 1 medium)

1/2 cup shredded Kraft Swiss Cheese (I used fat free moxerella instead)

*I skipped these ingredients & this step to cut down on fat  & the steak was still good...

Heat dressing in large nonstick skillet on medium high heat.  Meanwhile coat steaks evenly with flour; gently shake off excess flour.  Add to skillet;cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until each steak is browned on both sides.  Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.

Combine tomato paste, tomatoes and broth in slow cooker.  Add steaks and peppers (I put peppers & broth in blender as we like taste of peppers but not texture -- I do this with onions too)

and cover with lid.  Cook on high 3 to 4 hours (I cooked it 6 hours having skipped the browning step and the meat fell apart when tried to cut it!)

Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.

ENJOY!

May 10, 2007, 7:21 am CDT

Easy Bistro Chicken

2 tsp oil (i used EVVO)

3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (15 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained

1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing (I omitted since already used EVVO)

3 tbsp tomato paste

4 small boneless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)

1 cup Kraft Low Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese

2 slices Oscar Meyer Ready to Serve Bacon, crumbled (I omitted this to make lower fat)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium high heat.  Add mushrooms and onion , stirring occasionally.  Stir in tomatoes, dressing and tomato paste.

Add chicken and cover. Reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer 12 minutes or until chciken is cooked through.

Sprinkle with cheese and bacon; simmer, uncovered, 5 min., or until cheese is melted.

June 25, 2007, 7:48 am CDT

Veggie-Stuffed Macaroni and Cheese, ingredients

8 ounces dry, whole-wheat elbow macaroni, fusili, or penne

2 Tablespoons whole-wheat breadcrumbs

1 teaspoon butter

1/4 teaspoon paprika

1 3/4 cups nonfat milk

3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 1/2 shredded, reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

1 cup 1 percent fat cottage cheese

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Pinch grated nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

Pinch freshly ground black pepper

6 cups shredded fresh spinach, about 1 pound

1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatos, with liquid

Recipe by our Bren)

June 25, 2007, 7:50 am CDT

Veggie -Stuffed Macaroni and Cheese

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2.  Lightly coat a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

3.  Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain and set aside.

4.  Mix the breadcrumbs, butter, and paprika in a small bowl and set aside.

5.  Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a 4-to 5-quart nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat until steaming.

6.  Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk and the flour in a small bowl until smooth.  Add the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens and simmers, 3 to 7 minutes.  Remove the pan from the heat.

7.  Add the Cheddar to the white sauce and stir until the cheese is melted.  Stir in the cottage cheese, Parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.  Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce.

8.  Spread half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish.  Place the spinach evenly on top, then the diced tomatoes.  Spread the remaining pasta mixture over the tomatoes and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture.

9.  Bake until bubbly and golden, 25 to 30 min.

Yield:  6 servings of 1 1/2 cups each

REcipe from our Bren)

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next Page | Last Page