Message Boards

Topic : A Circle of Friends Cookbook

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 19, 2005, 06:22:54 am
Author : mysherona

Welcome to A Circle of Friends With Loving Support recipe board.

Share your HEALTHY recipes.

Enjoy!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 14, 2005, 11:35 pm CDT

Italian Wedding Soup

Chicken Broth (college Inn) 1to 2 larges can (low sodium) 

add 3  cups of water.Bring to boil and add: 

add 4  stocks chopped celery and leaves,  

add 1 large chopped onion 

3 carrots diced 

1 -10oz. package frozen chopped spinach 

1 boneless chicken breast cut up in small pieces. 

1/2 c. ground round beef.(to make into "teeny "meatballs) add garlic powder , and onion powder, (notice i said POWDER NOT SALT)  parsley, & a small amt, of breadcrumbs, and 1 egg.NO SALT  Drop into boiling soup to cook. These are the size of a nickel. 

Add 1/4 cup of rice.(instant works well) Just drop into soup. Beat two eggs and a hand-full of Romano or Parmesan cheese , mix in a small bowl and drop onto boiling soup. 

This traditional soup is served at Holidays instead of a salad. Momma would make garlic toast to have with it. Very Tasty and full of Calcium. You may substitute endive for spinach or collards greens. 

When i roast a small chicken, i use the bones and left over meat to boil (for my broth). I then put this cooled pot in the refrigerator. When cold then fat forms a hard yellow top. Easy for you to pick off with a spoon and dispose of.Bones too, Remember to pick off the white meat and keep for the soup.Great alternative to chicken noodle soup when your ill. Soups are good food.Great for lunch's. 

September 14, 2005, 11:46 pm CDT

Fresh Fish ex: Orange Roughy

Spray with Pam a baking dish or small cake pan. Lay the thawed fillets in this pan. sprinkle on fish parsley, onion powder, and Cajun seasonings (found in your spice dept, at market) add sliced oranges onion and or lemon.(Hint) If the end of the fish are very very thin, I put a slice of onion or Orange on that part so it won't burn..You can add a dab of fat free margarine(butter) to each top  of fillet. 

Pre-Heat 350 degrees oven. Bake for approx 20 to 30 min. I use a baster mid timing.. to put juices back over the fish. This fish is not covered until your done baking it. Just to keep it moist until your ready to serve it.(of course turn off heat).. 

Add asparagus spears or green beans, and a spinach salad for your sides. You may want to add a brown rice pilaf with pine nuts added or almond slivers. This is a wonderful light fish and I know you will love the compliments :) 

September 15, 2005, 12:03 am CDT

Chicken Kabob

1 pound skinless chicken cut into 1 inch cubes 

2 cups zucchini, cubed 

2 cups yellow squash, cubed 

2 cups red pepper cubed 

1 onion cubed OR slices small 

1/2 pound button mushrooms 

Lemon wedges, for garnish 

Pre-heat broiler or grill :) 

alternate chicken and veggies on skewers 

Grill for about 15 - 20 min,turning  at least once..until chicken is cooked through 

remove from the grill onto a serving platter 

Garnish with Lemon and serve. 

Maybe a nice brown  rice pilaf with almond slivers for a side, or Spanish rice,*Which i make bu adding salsa to my cooked rice. :) 

A nice fruit salad for dessert would be refreshing with this. 

September 15, 2005, 8:50 am CDT

Mashed Cauliflower

1 Head of fresh Cauliflower 

1/4 cup non fat milk 

1 TBS fat free sour cream 

Butter buds 

1/2 tsp minced garlic 

salt & pepper 

Steam Cauliflower until tender, drain all water off, add milk, sour cream, butter buds, garlic and salt and pepper...mix with blender until fluffy.Or hand mash if you like it a little Chuncky 

Ladean (Circle of friends weight loss board) 

September 19, 2005, 10:39 am CDT

philly chicken

grill chicken breast  

while chicken is grilling, sautee sliced green peppers, onions and mushrooms (I spray a nonstick pan with olive oil pam and cover so the juices from the peppers and onions stay in and you won't need to add too much fat) 

put the sauteed veggies on top of the chicken and then melt a slice of f/f or lowfat swiss on top 

yummy! 

September 19, 2005, 10:46 am CDT

teriyaki tilapia with mango salsa

teriyaki sauce: 

1/4 c. low sodium teriyaki sauce 

juice from 1/2 orange 

1/4 cup pineapple juice(from a can of pineapple tidbits 

rinse tilapia filets in cold water, then marinate in the teriyaki sauce for about 10 minutes. 

While fish is marinating cut up one ripe mango, one small onion, and 2 roma tomatoes. 

Mix pineapple in with mango, onion, and tomatoes, add cilantro to taste 

gril or bake the fish and top with the mango salsa 

(I have found that I love this served with steamed broccoli, squash, cauliflower and carrots) 

September 24, 2005, 10:00 pm CDT

Turky pasta sauce

Cook 5 turkey sausages ( Italian and regular)  then add 1 chopped green pepper and 1 medium to large chopped onion  cook until carmalized.  Add half a jar of pasta sauce and heat.

September 24, 2005, 10:04 pm CDT

turkey bacon with pasta

Cook turkey bacon and ww pasta according to package ditections.  Once cooked, break an egg and beat it.  Add salt, pepper, herbs and spices to taste.  Drain pasta and add to bacon.  Add egg mixture and cook over low heat until egg liquid is absorbed.  Pour onto dish and eat. 

PS  the last post about the pasta sauce should read  Turkey sausage ( italian OR regular) 

Sorry about that 

September 25, 2005, 8:38 am CDT

Pepperoni Pizza

Makes 4 pizzas Ingredients: 2 whole-wheat pitas (6-inch diameter) 1 cup pizza sauce 1 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese 2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni (about 32 slices) 1/4 cup chopped, roasted red peppers 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil Instructions: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Split the pitas in half to form circles. Place the pita halves on 2 baking sheets. Spread 1/4 cup pizza sauce on each pita half to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Sprinkle each half with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Arrange pepperoni slices on top of the cheese. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 teaspoon peppers and top with 1 teaspoon Parmesan. Drizzle the oil over the pizza. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove to serving plates and cut into quarters. After all are pizza talk...I just got this one from a Denise Austins e-mail!! Janet

September 27, 2005, 8:23 am CDT

Cran-Apple Chicken (slow cooker)

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves  

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries  

1 green apple, peeled, cored & sliced  

1 tbsp brown sugar  

1 cup unsweetened apple juice or cider  

Place chicken in slow cooker.  

Sprinkle with cranberries & apples.  

Mix brown sugar & apple juice.  Pour over chicken & fruit.  

Cover.  Cook on low 6-8 hours.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last