Message Boards

Topic : 08/25 Alcohol and Abuse

Number of Replies: 74
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 19, 2005, 03:21:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original airdate 05/19/05) Steve and Sheila are high school sweethearts whose marriage seem normal from the outside. But shocking home video shows Steve, an alcoholic, passed out on the floor on the verge of death, while Sheila violently slaps, punches, kicks and stomps on him — in front of their two little girls. Find out what Dr. Phil thinks has to happen if they want to keep their children and turn their out-of-control lives around.  Has alcohol affected someone you know? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2005, 1:35 pm CDT

Shocked & Appauled!!!

Who in their right mind would allow these children to stay in this home. They will be emotional scard for the rest of their lives. I've had my own problems at home, and sadly it did become physical at the time, but at the end you do realize what is going on. This woman knows exactly what she's doing, but you can fix that as soon as it's over. Because you know what's going on, and if YOU really don't want this to keep happening that you will do something about it. This is just rediculous to keep these children in this household, and force them to watch. If this woman does get help good, but those children need to be pulled out until there is hard proof that she's gotten help. The same thing needs to go for the father as well. My father was an alcoholic and thankfully my mother pulled me out of that situation, until he did get help. GET THOSE KIDS OUT OF THERE, SOON!!!

August 25, 2005, 1:36 pm CDT

oh my goodness

My heart is breaking! I am so grateful for the way Dr. Phil is handling this situation. I just pray that this family gets the help they need and that someone can reach out to these girls!   

August 25, 2005, 1:40 pm CDT

Both Need Help

Dr. Phil...You have really hit the nail on the head with this one....

August 25, 2005, 1:44 pm CDT

Not ready for help

I cannot believe these people!!  I missed this show the first time it aired so I had NO IDEA what I was about to watch...  I don't think this woman wants help, she acts like Dr. Phil is telling her things that could not possibly be true.  I agree that the children need to be taken away, I hope they were already taken from them.. Does anyone know what happened to this family after the show aired? 

August 25, 2005, 1:49 pm CDT

08/25 Alcohol and Abuse

I didn't see the show the first time, and have been hoping this subject would be aired. 

I can't believe the stupidity of some of the posters on this site.  If you have not been in this situation, you have no knowledge of what you might do and can therefore have no right to criticize.  I was just recently divorced from an alcholic who would not recognize he has a problem.  I was subjected to much verbal abuse and it was just about to turn physical.  You have no idea what constant verbal abuse and alcoholism will do to your sanity. 

I think Dr. Phil has incorrectly put most of the blame on the wife.  If she had married a non-alcoholic, I don't believe she would have behaved this way.  I'm not saying that what she is doing is right, especially for the children's sake, but I do believe that the husband is much more at fault for this than the wife.  On the other hand, the situation should not have been allowed to escalate into this severe physical violence.  Healthy people would have recognized this problem a long time ago and done something about it.  These are not healthy people, but they can become better through therapy and association with AA and Al-Anon.  It will never get better if he continues to drink. 

Just my 2 cents. 

August 25, 2005, 1:54 pm CDT

My first view..

I didnt see this last time it aired. Did anyone else want to crawl in the tv and stop her? Sheesh what a mess.Why didnt the kids tell an adult at school or tell a neighbor? I wonder if she lost her job? If this was the other way around, he would be in jail, she should go to jail. Im interested if any family members knew of this.Those poor kids. I hope things worked out for them. Did they do a folllow up on this?

August 25, 2005, 2:05 pm CDT

Abusive Wife

Your advise to this couple is right on!  GOD BLESS THOSE POOR CHILDREN!!!  This woman, Sheila, is most definitely an unfit mother not to mention mean, selfish and self absorbed.  She seems to not care about the consequences of her horrible actions and the effect on their children.  She seems to have an excuse for everything. 

While he is an alcholic ... who wouldn't be ... living with that witch would make anybody drink!!!! 

You're right ... those children have no business in the home with these two people.   

I, personally, don't believe that either one will truly make the effort to change.   

For lack of a better word ... these two parents are Selfish PIGS! 

August 25, 2005, 2:19 pm CDT

WOW!!

Wow, I just saw the Alcohol and Abuse show today. I'm a police officer and unfortunetely I see the damage people can and do inflict on one another. However, this show even shocked me! I hope the local police department used the show to file Domestic Abuse charges on Shelia. I also hope those children were removed from that home. I know that sounds harsh, but the idea of those little  children living like that for so long is horrible! Like Dr. Phil would say "the only thing worse about living like that for 11 years is living like that for 11 yrs and one day".   

I hope Dr. Phil will do an update show on those two soon. Unfortunetely, my experience says that Steve is still drinking and Shelia is still raging and the kids are still suffering!   

August 25, 2005, 2:23 pm CDT

She's Nuts

That woman needs to be in jail!!! I applaud Dr. Phil for turning them in to remove the kids' from this horrible situation. I think her abuse is the biggest problem here. She needs to in jail!!

August 25, 2005, 2:26 pm CDT

Police intervention?

I think Sheila should be in jail.  Those poor children...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last