Message Boards

Topic : 08/25 Alcohol and Abuse

Number of Replies: 74
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 19, 2005, 03:21:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original airdate 05/19/05) Steve and Sheila are high school sweethearts whose marriage seem normal from the outside. But shocking home video shows Steve, an alcoholic, passed out on the floor on the verge of death, while Sheila violently slaps, punches, kicks and stomps on him — in front of their two little girls. Find out what Dr. Phil thinks has to happen if they want to keep their children and turn their out-of-control lives around.  Has alcohol affected someone you know? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2005, 4:42 pm CDT

so sad

I have not seen the show as yet but reading these messages means i need to, so i can be as judgementel as everyone else. As disgusting as it sounds both need help to over come such hurt they feel. As to the children any children, there safety is paramount.

August 25, 2005, 4:47 pm CDT

Today's Show: Alcohol and Abuse

We all know that if the situation were reversed, him beating her, he would be in jail, no question about it.  

Why isn't she in jail?????  

August 25, 2005, 5:17 pm CDT

And the BEAT goes on!

This is the first time we have seen this show. It was a very difficult thing to watch and then to listen to Sheila give the responses she did. We all have excess baggage from our lives that helps, in some instances unfortunately, shape us into the people we are today. Having said that, Sheila seems to look for the drinking so she has an excuse to react the way she does. Dr. Phil hit it on the head when he says she was getting a payoff from her anger. I can't imagine a mother, regardless of her  history, not wanting to take the girls to a neighbors or family members house to get them away from the drunk dad. 

These children are already scarred. I agree the parents should separate, but I think the children need to also be given to another family member that is reliable and loving to care for the girls until the parents get straightened out. I worry that without the husband there to unleash her anger on, she will turn it towards the girls. She is going to need another outlet for her anger. 

Above all the children must be protected. 

August 25, 2005, 5:40 pm CDT

Give that girl a Prozac!

There was a time when I identified with Sheila.  My husband and I have been married for 15 years, but he was a heavy drinker when I married him.  After our daughter was born almost eight years ago, my response to his reckless behavior disappeared.  I knew the existence of alcohol abuse in the home was going to cause enough dysfunction that my adding violence and abusive behavior to it would create unhealthy and unsafe environment.  In the last two years, my husband has detoxed on two occasions, but unfortunately has returned to his old habits.   

Sheila needs to rid herself of the anger she has toward Steve and the remorse she has with herself for marrying him,  grow up, and focus on her girls, establishing a healthy and happy relationship, and providing them with the stable home they deserve.   

Thanks for letting me vent my spleen. 

August 25, 2005, 5:43 pm CDT

outraged

I am so outraged at this family for putting their children through this abuse. I have two children and if my husband and I have a disagreement, we will make sure the children are not around before we discuss it. I would never, ever let my children see us argue let alone physically fight! I was in tears watching this show today because I was putting myself in the childrens place. They have to be so confused and hurt by this. Steve did not even look remorseful. In fact, in some of the clips from his interview he was actually laughing about it! How horrible and evil of a man to put his family through this. And then you have the educated nurse Shelia that SHOULD know better! I would NEVER want her to be my or my childrens nurse in a hospital. If she had a heart, she would have gotten her children out a long, long time ago. I am just so sick to my stomach about this and keep picturing the childrens reactions that were taped. God Bless these young girls to grow up normal, happy and to not repeat the cycle. They are in my prayers!

August 25, 2005, 6:25 pm CDT

sheila&steve

sheila&steve

I watched the show before too .And as far as i'm concerned Sheila should have her nursing licience revoked.She says she was abused at a young age well why continue to abuse if she knows the kids are there.You would think that she would realize the effect thats having on the kids.She says she never sees the kids standing there when she is beating steve and yet she says her house is small she can't get away from him when he's drunk.Well duh! go out of the house leave if you have a temper and god knows she has one.And then she has the gall to say she never saw the kids standing there.I can imagine the abuse those kids saw.I remember one of Sheilas sisters saying here on the old boards that sheila loves those kids and would never hurt them.Hello!!!! the abuse they are seeing is abuse for sure.Those poor kids will need therapy for a long while.I remember also that one had said that Sheila when she goes to work she tunes out what has happened at home and goes to work like nothing ever happened.Thats bull ! i'm sure if she beat the husband and went to work shortly after ,that she would still have anger issues .Who can turn the switch off like that?If she is able to turn it off so easlily well its probably because she is so hard core that it doesn't bother her.Well so much for love for the kids.I know i wouldn't want to be in that hospital when she is there.Please someone let me know where she works ,so that i'll know not to go there if i can help it.  

Steve needs help but not help to the grave and thats where he will end up if sheila don't kill him the alcohol will eventually. they both need some serious counciling.I wonder if they are back together someone also posted that they are seperated and the kids are with her pitty help them if they piss her off and there is no Steve to beat on what she going to do start on them.kids need to be out of there as well as steve.He is by no means inoscent but still don't deserve to be beat on either 

August 25, 2005, 7:00 pm CDT

08/25 Alcohol and Abuse

As a nurse myself I think she should have her license suspended or taken away.  Nursings #1 rule is "DO NO HARM" and that pertains to when they are at work as well as when they are "off the clock".  Nurses licenses's are suspended everyday for things not as horrific as this!  Someone isnt able to get a license if they have a felony on their record, if a misdermeanor is on their record, they "may" get a license, but they have to jump through hoops with the Board of Registered Nursing to prove they are safe enough to pracitice nursing.  A nurses responsibility doesnt end when she leaves work, a nurse has the responibility to the community as well and is supposed to be a role model.  And as a mother she should feel the need to protect her children........ 

I find it hard to believe that she didnt take this to work with her.  I know their is no way I would want someone like herself to take care of me or anyone else in my family.  My heart is aching for these kids, Im sure they will have some long term damage from this.  I cant believe they get to stay in the home with these people, reguardless of what past they come from. 

This show made me sick and so sad.  And to think this happens in many other households right now. 

August 25, 2005, 7:12 pm CDT

shocked

I love Dr. Phil!  He is such a wise man.  I saw this episode for the first time today.  So many things were going through my mind as I witnessed the home videos - he's a total loser, she's evil and has selective memory, those poor girls, etc.  I know .... he has a serious disease.  He has a long road ahead to recovery.  He seemed to be "not really there."  Maybe he's just not very educated or not very articulate.   I think she was lying through her teeth about not knowing what she was doing when she was beating her husband.  How embarassing for him too .. being his wife's punching bag!  They both have a lot of baggage to deal with.  And their daughters!!  I wanted to cry ... actually I did.  I wanted to call Dr. Phil right then and tell them I would take the girls.  (then I realized it was previously aired)  I have 3 precious children of my own, what's 2 more?  I hope and pray that someone will give those girls lots of healthy love and attention.  They have to be retaught that a real loving family doesn't behave that way.  I totally support Dr. Phil's suggestions to them about separating.  The girls absolutely have to get out of that environment.  I would be happy to have them stay at our home and see how great a loving family can be.  There are good people in the world.  I wish them all the very best and look forward to hopefully a good ending.  If not, I'm going to be spittin' mad in North Carolina!

August 25, 2005, 7:39 pm CDT

equality???

I couldn't believe what I saw today!  I'm not condoning Steve's drinking, but that is no excuse for Sheila's behavior.  If Sheila went to the hospital looking  the way Steve did, he would have been arrested for spousal abuse - and rightfully so. So why the double standard and not arrest Sheila for the abuse? 

In the long run,  I'll be praying for the family - especially the little girls... 

Your advice Dr. Phil ws great. 

August 26, 2005, 5:29 am CDT

theboys

Quote From: theboys

I couldn't believe what I saw today!  I'm not condoning Steve's drinking, but that is no excuse for Sheila's behavior.  If Sheila went to the hospital looking  the way Steve did, he would have been arrested for spousal abuse - and rightfully so. So why the double standard and not arrest Sheila for the abuse? 

In the long run,  I'll be praying for the family - especially the little girls... 

Your advice Dr. Phil ws great. 

Hi there you are right it is a double standard way.I too believe Sheila should be arested and those kids outta there also.As far as Steve well like i said before if Sheila don't kill him the liquor will if he doesn't stop drinking.but!since the show one of Sheila's sister came on the board and said they are seperated but the kids are with her.wow!talk about safety of all the people those kids should not be with that woman .Where the heck is all the families here anyway to step in and help those kids? Its the kids i feel sorry for not those two.bouncing tigger

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last