Message Boards

Topic : 09/01 Family Intervention

Number of Replies: 47
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 25, 2005, 04:27:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Andrew, 18, has been clean and sober for seven months and is trying to rebuild his life. Now, he wants an intervention for his family before it's too late. His mother is abusing Xanax and sleeps all day. His father is either abusive or simply absent, and his brother struggles to stay out of jail. Desperate to save his family, Andrew reaches out to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show and share your thoughts here. 

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 1, 2005, 5:46 pm CDT

To Saundra, Joshua, AC & Andrew:

Watching the show today and really taking a minute to stop & take it all in, you all are truly a blessing! Watching and looking at where you are at today is an absolute miracle. You all have touched so many lives with your positive outlook and your overall change. The family as a whole is just amazing now, complete and total change that you can't even describe! I mean there is just this awesome glow about yall now that can just light up an entire room & seeing yall laugh & smile yo can see the true happiness coming out. Looking at your family, all I could think was wow, I want what they have! From watching you all through your journey and to see the strength and hope in you all is SUCH an inspiration. I have learned more from Saundra, Josh, AC & Andrew than I thought possible to learn in a LIFETIME. When I got to a point in my life where I thought there was no where left to go & drugs & alcohol was the only solution, you all gave me the inspiration, a helping hand & open arms to help me get to where I am at today & to learn how to live your life as you're working for God and with sobriety! Going to the meetings with ya'll & watching how many people you all have reached out to & helped is utterly amazing. I can honestly say I have never understood what true happiness was until now and I know now I owe that all to God, but without the help of ya'll I would never have gotten to where I am at today. Every single person, no matter if they have an addiction problem or not, can learn from what was shown today. All I can say is thank you. Ya'll are family to me & a true gift from God, each one of yall in your own individual ways have helped me along with me family so much. I truly believe ya'll were God's gift to me to help guide me to the path I needed to be on, the one I'm on now. Thank ya'll so much for everything & I love ya'll so much!!!!

September 1, 2005, 6:03 pm CDT

Courage

Andrew, I admire you for all that you have done to help your family.  I am kinda in the same boat, but my family doesn't/or hasn't help me, or should I say confronted me about it.  It all started when I had knee surgery, right before the hurricanes last year in Florida.  Between my ACL repair, the huricane coming, and my husband over in Singapore on business, I just figured that it would be easier to deal with this problem by the drugs that I was using.  Since then I have quit smoking cigarettes (it's only been 4 months since I have quit), but I was smoking for 34 years.  My problem is now that I excerise daily at the "Y" and still not losing weight.  Eating very healthy, but no results.  So therefore I still turn to my addiction to drugs, to help me, so that I don't look so fat when I see my self.  How did you over come this?  

I could really use help from someone who has been there.   

Keep up the Great Work.  

God Bless you and your family,  

Always,  

Paula  

September 1, 2005, 6:35 pm CDT

Andrew letter to Vlaanderen.

Andrew. I hear that you have been sober for seven month and not been drinking or drug abusive at all. I like that. Andrew your a brave man. My online address is: RBV43@Juno.Com. Andrew I hopethat everything is going ok with you. Good luck. Well I had better close now. Sincerly Your. Russell

September 1, 2005, 7:26 pm CDT

well wishes

Andrew, Saundra and A.C., 

You are truly in my prayers. Andrew, I admire your strength and courage to come forward on national t.v. and admit your family needs help. You are an amazing person and we could all learn from your example. Your desire to keep your family together is touching and you are in my thoughts and prayers. 

Sandra and A.C., 

I wish you tremendous luck in your journey toward soberiety and wellness. I know its not easy but it is possible. My aunt was on drugs for over 15 years. She went to rehab, changed her life and has been sober since 1993. Its possible just don't give up. Stick together as a family and help and encourage one another.  

September 1, 2005, 7:27 pm CDT

Family Intervention

Andrew, 

It is hard for me to write this because of your strength and courage. I can not tell you how much hope you were able to give to me today.. I lost my husband to this disease. It is a nasty virulent disease. I am also in recovery (13 years). I know some of what you have been going through. Hang in there it gets easier.  

September 1, 2005, 8:02 pm CDT

A Note of Support

Andrew and family,  

For the first time, I decided to register on drphil.com after watching your story.  My heart went out to you, and I just want to offer encouragement.  I cannot even pretend to imagine what life has been like for you, but I am praying for you (even if I don't know you).  People often say prayers are "the least" you can do for someone, but I believe it's the "MOST" you can do for someone.  Noone has it "all together" because everyone struggles with temptations in life.  We learn self-discipline, and we learn by our mistakes.  God uses these mistakes in our lives to push us to rely on Him.  I struggle daily with temptations, even when I know what the consequences are.  I justify and rationalize my actions within my head.  Please don't feel alone or embarrassed.  I know Dr. Phil will guide you in the right direction if you only submit to the plan.  Andrew, you are very HANDSOME, articulate and mature.  I admire what little I know about you.  Best of luck.  

Bonnie   

September 1, 2005, 8:43 pm CDT

Kudos to Andrew!!!

Andrew,  

I'm a mom to three (1 daughter & 2 sons - all in their early 20s) and this is my first post to Dr. Phil's board...  I was compelled to let you know what an amazing gift you are to your family!  You courage and wisdom (at such a young age) is inspiring!  Your mom has got to be so incredibly proud of you!   

I pray that AC and your mom are able to overcome their addictions, as you did.  I also hope and believe that your dad and brother will eventually "get it", and join the effort to heal your family.  

God bless you all!  

September 1, 2005, 8:51 pm CDT

Inspiration

Andrew

First of all I wanna say "Great Job!" It took a whole lot to go up in front of millions of people and take the family up there and admit that you along with your family wants help. I mean I hope that your other brother and father decide to participate in accepting the help you all need to better your lives. I wish you all the best. On the other hand, the other thing I was going to say is that, dang boy, your hot. That's another reason why I had to join drphil.com. You along with your other brothers are really good looking. But your the one that caught my attention the most. It took a lot of courage to do what you did and your looks probably had all these girls attention. We're all hoping and praying your problems get resolved. Feel free to look me up if you need someone to talk to.

Your New Friend
Nicole

September 1, 2005, 8:53 pm CDT

Your different in the best way.

Andrew,   

I was watching you on Dr. Phil and I don't know what it was about you that cought my attension.  I just could stop looking at your eyes.  I saw so much in you as I watched the story of you family and I could deffinately tell you were different.  I thought you were so brave to write to Dr. Phil and face your family on the problems you all have.  It takes alot of guts to do some thing like that and especially when you know you still have to go home at the end of the day and fece the rest of the family.  As I watched every thing you and your family said, I just couldn't help but feel for you all.  Tears strolled down my face and my heart just fell to the ground.  I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.  So, if you ever feel like talking to a stranger then please feel free to drop me a line.  I wish so much for you and I know Dr. Phil will do every thing in his power to help you.  He's a good man and I know he'll look out for you.   

Love, 

Nancy Flores 

September 2, 2005, 6:46 am CDT

Way to go Andrew!

Andrew, just wanted to say way to go on getting your life on track. I am a struggling addict and you gave me hope! My prayers are with your family and you just keep on doing what you are and hang in there. If they cant or wont change, you cant help that. Keep concentrating on you. I'm proud of you :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last