Message Boards

Topic : 09/01 Family Intervention

Number of Replies: 47
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 25, 2005, 04:27:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Andrew, 18, has been clean and sober for seven months and is trying to rebuild his life. Now, he wants an intervention for his family before it's too late. His mother is abusing Xanax and sleeps all day. His father is either abusive or simply absent, and his brother struggles to stay out of jail. Desperate to save his family, Andrew reaches out to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show and share your thoughts here. 

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 2, 2005, 8:43 am CDT

Good for you Monique

Quote From: moniquespr

Hi 

My name is Monique.  I have never posted a message on Dr Phil before but watch the shows every day.  This show hit very close to home for me.  I was abused physically by my father.  Both parents were either drug additicted or alcohol addicted and I, myself, were addicted to men that abused me, just as my father did my mother and me and my siblings.  My ex once said to me that "he never hit me he choked me and that was different".  He said, "my mother put up with it from my father and so shall you." and I did for seven years.  It wasn't until one day while sitting in a rocking chair with my daughter that a light came on.  I left and never turned back.   

I am married five years now and have three daughters.  I am in a very happy marriage with growing daughters who will know what real love is.  Do this for your family.  Leaving may not be your answer, but love to your sons should be.  Love toyourself.  You deserve it.  You do...you really do. 

If you keep the train on the same track it's on...AJ will be the next abuser of woman and Andrew, the next me.  I have so much hatred for my family still...which I continue to work through.  Dr. Phils show helps with that. 

I will keep you and your family in my thought and wish you and your family love and life. 

Monique 

My name is Lisa and I just wanted to say congrats to your for realizing you were in a bad situation and got you and your daughter out.  I have never been in that situation and hope never to. I have been married for 7yrs. I think allot of why girls stay with abusive men is b/c one they are young and don't know better and 2 they don't think they are worth any better.  

Also, Andrew good luck on your sobriety and with your family. You are so brave to stand up for your family because they couldn't, and there is no doubt in my mind that you have saved their lives. Keep strong! 

September 2, 2005, 9:36 am CDT

Andrew

You are a very courageous young man and I hope your family realizes this and does not make you the scapegoat for their own success or failure.  I am so glad Dr Phil provided you counseling options, because this is a heavy load.  

I did not see the first few minutes of the show so am not sure if you are living at home or not.  If you are, I wish Dr Phil had suggested you move elsewhere temporarily.  Addicts are not nice people when you try to interfere with their habit and will sabotage/blame you at every opportunity.  Do not let them drag you back down.  You cannot change them, that is their job alone.  And if they do not change you may have to decide that you cannot have that chaos in your life and walk away.  

I hope your father and Joshua take the help offered by Dr Phil, but I will not hold my breath.  When you are an addict of any sort the problem is always someone else, never yourself.  Be prepared that your mom may need to be healthy alone, rather than sick with your dad.  

The best to you and your entire family.    

September 3, 2005, 5:29 am CDT

What happened after the show?

I was just wondering what happened after the show.  Did the dad and younger son get on board or did they refuse to get help?  Best of luck to the memebers of this family who sought help.   

September 3, 2005, 6:28 am CDT

09/01 Family Intervention

Good for you Andrew for trying to help your mom and brothers as weLL.I believe your mom was in such denile about her adiction.You would think she would have got help long before this if she truly loves her boys.You would think well my sons are messed up i have to get help would ring through .I wish all the best for this family.Good luck you guys are going to need all the support Dr.Phil can give you guys and hopefully the mom will take it but i don't think she is even ready yrt due to the fact she lied about everything regarding her adiction .And obviously hasn't just had this addiction start just lately for all the amount she uses .It takes time to build that tolerency but unfortunately she won't lower that (the tolerency)ever again even if she quits.Hope she realizes that if she ever needs say drugs for pain well she will need to take a higher dose because of this buid up.And Dr's aren't going to do that bump it up just because you build that tolerancy .I hope she thinks about these things if she isn't already to late.Many blessings for this family!!!

September 3, 2005, 2:41 pm CDT

any thoughts

Quote From: soldier

i want to thank all of you for your feed back and support. i love the positive things yall said about my family and i. im sorry i didnt say much but if yall can only imagine, my mind is goin a million miles an hour right now. we send our love and prayers to all of you and i hope we touched lives. keep us in your prayers.      -andrew(jer. 29:11-14)

Hi Andrew,   

I am truly touched with how strong you are, I wish I could be that strong.  I am 22 years old and have won my battle with addiction for 3 months now.  But it is very hard.  I find it very difficult to surround myself with the positive people I need. Do you have any thoughts on what else I can do to keep positive.  And would you be willing to be a positive support for me?  

I would love to keep in contact with you and be a support for you as well.  Please email me, and we can talk.  khannah1982@hotmail.com 

Take care of yourself, stay strong.  

God Bless.  

Kim  

September 3, 2005, 11:23 pm CDT

I hope all is still well

I don't know how every thing was when you went back home to the rest of your family, but I hope they took Dr. Phil's help.  I pray that you and your family are getting the help needed, and that your are all doing much better.  I have so much respect for you and every thing you've done for your family.  That just shows what a wonderful and strong person you are and will continue to be.  Not only that but then you add your good looks on top of that, and there just aint no stoppin you boy!  Now go concor the world and take care.  Lots of love sent your way.  =0)

September 4, 2005, 9:06 am CDT

God Bless you Andrew

Quote From: soldier

i want to thank all of you for your feed back and support. i love the positive things yall said about my family and i. im sorry i didnt say much but if yall can only imagine, my mind is goin a million miles an hour right now. we send our love and prayers to all of you and i hope we touched lives. keep us in your prayers.      -andrew(jer. 29:11-14)

Andrew, 

I just want to encourage you & affirm that you are absolutely doing the right thing.  You are stopping the insanity & changing lives in the process.  Jer 29:11 is a verse I hold onto daily.  My husband is a recovering alcoholic with almost 5 years sobriety & I thank God that He gave me the courage to be proactive & get a backbone to protect myself & our 8year old son.  In those 5 years that he has not drank, relationships have been restored & he attends the recovery group at our church.  With God all things are possible.  It really touches my heart that you "get it" at such a young age. I didn't start "getting it" until I was 40, so you are way ahead of me!!!!  You have your whole life in front of you & you are going in the right direction. God Bless you & your family.  I will be praying for all of you.  

Michele in Michigan 

September 4, 2005, 10:02 am CDT

Great Job Andrew!

Hi Andrew, just had to send a message...I just watched the show last night since I tape them and watch them over the weekend...and I must say it really takes a lot of courage to seek the help you and your family needs and I applaud you for having that courage.  I know it's not easy and you may have to deal with the negative feedback from your father but be strong and know you did the right thing.  I really hope that your mother and A.C. have much success with the treatment Dr. Phil offered and that perhaps your father and other brother will join in after seeing the success. I really wish they would have been more open to the help Dr. Phil could give.  Judging from the other messages you and your family will be in many prayers, that includes mine...please try to keep us posted on your status.  

Saving a prayer for you & A.C.,   

*Sallie...That Girl!*   

yahoo id:  sallie_morales   

September 4, 2005, 12:54 pm CDT

my thoughts

I think this should be the new Dr. Phil family.  What do you guys think.

September 4, 2005, 2:24 pm CDT

Hands to you Andrew

Dear Andrew & Family,  

I just want to tell you how proud I am that your trying to save your family from this horrible addiction.  I know from first hand since I've been sober for the last 12 years.  I hope your family knows how important it is to get and be sober and that we only only get 1 sets of parents in our lives.  I hope they realize that they have to live for themselves and their family because we need our parents no matter how old we are, we always need our parents.  Keep up the good work, stay clean because there nothing better than waking up and knowing that we made it through another day.  May you and your family find that harmony, peace and support that you desire.  

From a Former Alcholic,  

Patty        

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last