Message Boards

Topic : 09/01 Family Intervention

Number of Replies: 47
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 25, 2005, 04:27:35 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Andrew, 18, has been clean and sober for seven months and is trying to rebuild his life. Now, he wants an intervention for his family before it's too late. His mother is abusing Xanax and sleeps all day. His father is either abusive or simply absent, and his brother struggles to stay out of jail. Desperate to save his family, Andrew reaches out to Dr. Phil. Talk about the show and share your thoughts here. 

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 4, 2005, 10:11 pm CDT

Good Luck

Hi Andrew,I hope all is well,you truly are a blessing in your mom's life,please don't ever give up hope, or your dreams will die to,be strong & believe & God bless! 

You are a very strong person & that will make you a successfull young man! 

September 5, 2005, 12:49 pm CDT

09/01 Family Intervention

Quote From: lisamays

My name is Lisa and I just wanted to say congrats to your for realizing you were in a bad situation and got you and your daughter out.  I have never been in that situation and hope never to. I have been married for 7yrs. I think allot of why girls stay with abusive men is b/c one they are young and don't know better and 2 they don't think they are worth any better.  

Also, Andrew good luck on your sobriety and with your family. You are so brave to stand up for your family because they couldn't, and there is no doubt in my mind that you have saved their lives. Keep strong! 

Hello Lisa,  

I am not trying to be confrontational or trying to prove you wrong but I too like Monica was involved in an abusive relationship for 3 years.   

No I was never abused when I was younger and had an alright childhood so I do not blame it on anything or anyone else.  I knew better, it wasn't a lack of education for myself and I believe the same for many people.  Most people, even those who are abused grow up knowing it is not alright and it should not be happening, many just do not know how to change it.   

I truly thought I could change him and then one day when I looked in the mirror at my black eye and bruises all over my face and body and realized I didn't want to change him anymore I just wanted to stop living like that.  Usually things start out great and then when they think they have you convinced things get worse.  In my case I did not stay because I did not think I was worth it and I am only 20 years old.  I met him was I was 17 and many would say that is very young and I do agree but that is not why I stayed.  Many women have no choice, until I was assured by POLICE that I would be safe I could not leave.  He threatened my family members, myself and even animals that were attached to me.  I have seen him hurt me and so many people that I know if I wasn't protected I could not leave or I would be dead the next day.   

All I am trying to say is that no you have not been involved in an abusive relationship so you do not know firsthand (that is a good thing) that it is not always young age and worthlessness for oneself that makes a person stay.   

Finally, I left and never looked back.  It took coming clean with my whole family (who truly knew all along), going to the authorities and getting him arrested, a protection order for my family and myself and counselling.  Men like Saundra's husband brainwash you into thinking it is okay to be treated like that and it is really your fault.   

To all women out there that have been abused physically, emotionally or verbally please seek help for yourself and possibly your children who might be seeing it everyday, you are so much better than that!  You are all beautiful women who deserve to be treated like queen's not servants.  I wish everyone could get out the way I did but it is not the case with all women.  So please before people judge just think about what you say first because you may not know all the details as not everyone in this world is the same.   

To Andrew,  you are such a wonderful person and deserve an excellent life, everyday you wake up know that everyone that watches the Dr. Phil show is praying for you and your family.  Good Luck with everything.  

Saundra,  Things will get better one day if you chose to make them better.  Good luck with your recovery and to both of your sons and your husband if he too choses to get better.  Please do not let your husband continue to hurt you or your son's!  You all are so much better than that.    

I hope the intervention was a changing day for you all!  Thoughts and prayers from Canada, Pam  

September 6, 2005, 8:11 am CDT

Inspiration

Saundra, AC, Joshua and Andrew,  

You have all been such an inspiration to everyone associated with you during the long and difficult road to recovery.  This disease is so devastating.  Not only have you "hit the road running" as Dr. Phil asked, but you have all helped so many others in their fight to recover from addiction as well as helping the families involved.  You have all handled your fight to recover with humility, compassion and understanding.   God bless you as he has blessed us with you.  

NRC Recovery group  

October 7, 2005, 6:52 pm CDT

09/01 Family Intervention

Andrew I was shocked to see you on Dr Phil. I mean you never expect to see someone you know on Dr Phil KWIM. I pray for you and your family. Oh and girls by the way he really is that good looking and sweet IRL.   God Bless, Elizabeth

October 26, 2005, 5:37 am CDT

Thank you

Hi Andrew 

thank you for your sharing the hardest bits of your life and your stunning personality. You made me cry. I just had to send you my admirations. 

Best wishes for the future 

Anneli 

(in Sweden we saw the show yesterday) 

November 9, 2005, 6:59 am CST

Andrew- your story reached all the way to Scandinavia and touched me

Hi, I live in Denmark, Scandinavia in Europe, where Dr. Phil show is shown every day in daytime danish television. I see it sometimes when I am at home and today I watched the show with Andrew and his familiy. (We are a month or so behind in Denmark regarding the dr. Phil show) This story really touched me and I was very impressed with Andrew on every level. It is the first time that I write anything "public" but I felt I wanted you to know, Andrew, that I think you are very brave and intelligent. And that your are dealing with your situation in a very impressive way. I hope the best for you and your familiy and hope you get the life and family that you dream of and most certainly deserve. I also hope that Dr. Phil will return to you and show how it all went (hopefully successful) and that I will be home that day to see it :):):) The best wishes to you, Andrew!!!!!!      

January 25, 2006, 11:53 am CST

Hope you are all doing well

Hope everyone is doing well and on there way to recovery! 

God Bless, 

Michelle 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next Page | Last Page