Message Boards

Topic : 09/02 "I Hate Myself"

Number of Replies: 63
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 25, 2005, 04:29:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Women often say, "I wish I was skinny," or "Do I look fat?" But what does it mean for their daughters? Michelle says her 13-year-old, Megan, spends most of her time looking in the mirror and picking herself apart. Her self-hatred is starting to take its toll on their family. Then, Tisha has struggled with her weight and low self-esteem all of her life. Now she fears that she's passing those issues down to her 8-year-old who weighs herself every day and calls herself fat. Plus, 19-year-old Irene lost 80 pounds, but says she's still unhappy. Along with supermodel Daisy Fuentes, Dr. Phil offer tools to help raise your daughter's self-esteem. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 2, 2005, 4:09 pm CDT

78 pounds

Quote From: missjane2

Earlier this year I accidentally found what I call an Anorexia "note" in my teenage daughter's bedroom. It was her written plan of how she was going to lose weight from 95 pounds to her goal weight of 78 pounds.  We went out and had a big talk about this and 2 weeks later she changed her goal weight to 80 pounds which we had another huge talk about this.  It was all about a boy.  The sister of the boy she liked weighed 78 pounds.  My daughter looks good and I told her someday when she is older she is going to wish she could be the size she is right now.  But she doesn't even talk to this boy, but admires him from a distance.  I told her the reason he doesn't like her is because she doesn't talk to him, not because of her weight.   He has had a few girlfriends other than her, but she blames it on her weight.  I also told her she needed to work on cleaning her room, because if she wants a boyfriend with a future these are the important things:  communication and cleanliness......

Dear Concerned Parent,  

How old is your daughter? What kind of A relationship do the two of you have? Definetley communication is a big one for relationship.  Being clean is  important but some don't care about there habits to much. Would you agree?  

September 2, 2005, 4:32 pm CDT

Used To Be Fat

I am a 20 year old female from Las Vegas Nevada. From the 2nd grade until my senior year of high school I was fat. Topping the scales at nearly 300 lbs, I was very self loathsome. I got the name calling coming home from school every day crying my eyes out. When I was 18, I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 150 lbs in a little less than a year. I feel so much better about myself than I have in my entire life. But my mindframe didn't quite catch up with the rest of me. After finally deciding I needed to buy more clothes because all of mine were falling off of me, my mom and I were in a store and I automatically went to the plus size section. My mom literally had to drag me away and into the regular sizes. She gave me a size 8 and sent me to the dressing room. I laughed at her asking her if she was nuts giving me a size 8. I was a 24, no way I can be this little. But I went in, tried them on and they fit! How and when did this happen to me?! When was I ever able to fit into size 8 jeans! Even to this day I think anyone who talks to me or I meet is juding me.

September 2, 2005, 4:43 pm CDT

am i over weight?????

Hi I'm 38 years old and I'm 5'3 and weigh 167 lbs. no matter what do I can't seem to lose weight. My fiance eats 3-4 meals a day and he'll till he is stuffed. Everytime makes something he wants me to eat also. I tell him I'm not hungary. I would really like to lose about 30lbs. any suggestions????

September 2, 2005, 5:06 pm CDT

weight

I am 16 and I guess i do think im fat  a little overweight and wish i wasent. Im 5'7 5'8 and i dont know how much i weigh but i wear a 15 in jeans in juniors. I would like to loose weight but I dont think i know how becasue Iam the type of girl that dont care what other people think of her and im not affaried to eat a chesseburger and if the food is there ill eat it. I think I have more of a puge then im fat I have been watching my portions but I need more then just that. My friend is 12 and she is skinny and she says she fat and im like no your not i am she teels me  im not fat I was just wondeirng if you knew why she says this. I would like to get down to a size 7/8 in jeans do you think that is alot.

September 2, 2005, 5:13 pm CDT

My Mum

I came in late or dead last in just about everything I did when I was a kid and my mother never once told me I couldn't do something...or even "yeah, you're good but you know you're up against some stiff competition." As a result, I tried just about everything once...failed...sometimes miserably but I either HAD a good time trying or had a crappy time but the thing is...I did it.

September 2, 2005, 5:25 pm CDT

love for yourself

I feel for Meaghan...I know what it is like to be the fat girl...I was all my life. Ifinally learned either I was gonna have to get off my butt and do something about it. Or shutup the whining. I learned to love me. I learned as long as I am happy with my self no one can take that from me. Since then i have lost 105 pounds. Who knew...? Maybe i was my worst enemy and I was what was holding me back.Once you learn that ...you got it made. I wanna wish Meaghan all the luck in the world she is a beautiful young lady...and she can have the world at her fingertips if she will but allow it. Her dream to be a cosmetologist is great...That is what I am...and she has a great personality for it....Good Luck Honey! 

sincerely....gina 

September 2, 2005, 5:28 pm CDT

best use of meals

Quote From: cijaym

I came in late or dead last in just about everything I did when I was a kid and my mother never once told me I couldn't do something...or even "yeah, you're good but you know you're up against some stiff competition." As a result, I tried just about everything once...failed...sometimes miserably but I either HAD a good time trying or had a crappy time but the thing is...I did it.
I have lost 105 pounds in the last year. My mother had me tested my entire life for different reasons for me being fat. I did not eat much and still do not..I have had to learn the more I eat the more I will loose. If you are not eating enough you will remain big.Ask Dr. Phil....he can explain it in better ways than I can. You have to eat enough to make your metabolism work.

September 2, 2005, 6:40 pm CDT

That is me

This show really hit me hard.  Throught my life I have had very low self esteem.  I have never been over weight however I always feel as if I need to lose weight.  I can relate 100% to the 19 year old who feels as if she needs to loose more.  I am 24 and just had a baby about 8 months ago.  I lost most of the weight however since I have been small all my life the last 10 lbs seems to be like 100.  I am so afraid I will pass this obession on to my daughter.  I have read Dr Phil's Weight Loss Solution and work really hard on my internal dialoge but some days I really "Hate Myself".  I am really glad that I was able to see this show as it has opened my eyes to what will happen to my daughter if I continue to live this way.

September 2, 2005, 8:55 pm CDT

Words can hurt so much.

I have had trouble with self esteem issues most of my 35 yrs. I am happy to say that now i have lost almost 45 lbs (wiegh less than i did when i married my husband) but i still have those little insecurities. I can remember maybe at the age of 10 my mother telling me that if i kept eating my "ass was going to be as big as that refrigerator" Believe it or not those words still haunt me to this day.My son is having a little bit of a weight issue but instead of putting him down i try to encourage him and praise him and set healthy eating examples for him. He reminds me so much of myself. He is very hard on himself and  perfectionist. My heart goes out to children that are ridiculed and put down. May god give them the strength to keep fighting the battle and come out winners like they already are!

September 2, 2005, 9:15 pm CDT

Very Relevant

The second I heard about this episode airing, I went onto all of my livejournal.com communities and told everyone about it.  I have struggled with eating disorders and obesity my whole life, so this episode about body image and self image was great to see.  I have finally come to terms with my body, and have learned to love it for what it is... healthy, strong, functional, beautiful, and perfect for bearing and raising children.  My email is jumpinglegacy@rocketmail.com, if any adolescent/youth girls would like support, advice, or anything else.   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last