Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 Phobias

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:04:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine having an overwhelming, irrational fear that dominates your day-to-day life. Monica is petrified of leaving her house and being separated from her husband, who actually quit his job to stay home with her. For Michelle, it's small pieces of paper that leave her physically ill, while Pam is so terrified of birds that she'll only leave the house at night. Find out what Carey is deathly afraid of and if it even prevented her from getting on the plane to come see Dr. Phil! How can these guests get on with their lives and learn to control their phobias? Share your stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 6, 2005, 6:49 am CDT

I understand

I have been evaluated by a psycologist for vocational rehabilitation. 

I believe my childhood trauma which was devistating altered my brain chemistry 

thus the term chemical inbalance. 

Medication helps for me, it helps the neurotransmitter seratonin stay around longer. 

I still struggle with ocd and agoraphobia but am learning coping skills 

You are love and understood 

September 6, 2005, 7:00 am CDT

I totally understand

Quote From: karamelle

I have been agoraphobic since age 5 (my first memory of an attack).  For the most part, I can live with it because I only have attacks when I am in a situation when I feel that there is no way I can get home or it may be difficult(this includes being expected to stay at a certain place).  My last attack was at my own wedding.  When I realized that I could not leave because I was the bride and therefore expected to stay, I had an attack and ended up leaving right after the ceremony (I returned when feeling better, during the late evening)  Funny thing is, I didnt know what was wrong with me until about 1 year ago, when I was hospitalised due to an attack and the Dr. told me that...no I was not having a heart attack, it was a panic attack!  I was deeply embaressed.  I have since then purchased books on the subject and would love to discuss this with other who can understand.  Sincerely
 You have a friend!

September 6, 2005, 7:14 am CDT

I knew I wasn't alone...

After posting my thoughts about Agoraphobia yesterday I got up this morning to see what others had to say.  It's encouraging to know that I'm not alone and my "normal" life can soon return to me.  I had my first panic attack 5 months ago after some bumps in life.  In a short period of time I had lost my job, had minor surgery and lost a loved one. With the help of the internet I was able to diagnose myself as having generalized anxiety disorder.  I went to my Dr. and had everything checked out (blood, heart etc) and then was given a sample of an anti-anxiety med. to try out.  I only took one pill and it made everything worse! That's when I decided to go "au natural" and changed some things with my diet, started relaxation and breathing exercises and did physical exercise and yoga daily.  The obstacle I have now are my thoughts.  Anxiety is with me as soon as I wake and right at the end of the day when I sleep.  I try to replace my negative thinking with positive and drink a cup of chamomille tea before going to bed.  This helps but I have now decided that professional help might work better.  The woman who wrote about her son wants to start a support group and she has supplied her email address.  I encourage all to participate - I could use all the support people are willing to offer! 

September 6, 2005, 8:51 am CDT

Thank you

Quote From: hunny7784

I am extremely relieved to hear your stories and comforted to know that there are people out there like me.  I have felt like I was alone for such a long time, drawing people away because the fear consumed my life.  I have done much research on this and at 21 years of age I feel like I know a lot about our phobia.  Did you know that the majority of emetophobics don't actually throw up?  We have this subconscious part of our brain that fights off the action of vomiting.  Also, I have actually hyperventalated and almost passed out because I was so nauseus before.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  I hear a lot about everyone being afraid of vomiting in front of people but that isn't my major fear.  My fear is of other people vomiting and "catching" the germs so I get sick....then my fear turns into me getting sick.  I think if contagion was eliminated from the equation, I would be able to cope with anxiety easier....because then I could start trying to face vomit itself.  I once took care of someone who was drunk and vomiting because I knew they weren't contagious.  Of course I was crying through it all but at least I got through it and can say I did...it was a huge step for me....don't know if I could do it anytime again soon though.  Anyway, is there anyone out there with a success story to lead me in the right direction?  I am so sick of being controlled by a fear.  Do help us!  Thanks!
Thank you for sharing what you have found out. That took courage! Just to look. I haven't been able to look into this phobia because of fear but after the Dr. Phil's show I don't feel as alone and crazy. I think seeing this show and communicating with others here is healing in it self. At least it's a start.

September 6, 2005, 9:19 am CDT

09/05 Phobias

Quote From: lwongf

I am 18 yrs old and I've been living with this fear since 2nd grade.  I just watched the dr. phil show on phobias and I can completely relate to what Carey is going through.  I don't know why I came to have this fear and it is comforting to know other people can relate.  I've had the anxiety worse and a little better through out the years, almost in waves.   When I have a bad experience with someone throwing up the worrying comes back strong.  At a real bad point I couldn't go to school, maybe 1 or 2 days at most.  I would get so anxious, sometimes in class I'd have to just walk out.  I ate very little during this period and my weight got as low as 92 lbs (I'm 5'2''). I even had a coach ask me if I had an eating disorder.  I'm ashamed to tell my parents and often when I would panic I'd just say I didn't feel good and went through countless medical tests because they thought something was wrong.  To make that long story short I ended up going to psychiatrist/psychologist and taking antidepressents.  None of those really helped and I just found as I didn't have any "vomiting experiences", the worrying subsided and I've been able to lead a relatively normal life right now, able to eat, go out, ride planes etc.  although the worrying is always in the back of my head.  I'm worried I will relapse into that bad of a situation as I'm going off to college and have a whole life ahead of me.  I can only resign my self to deal with the situations as they come.  Like I said it's comforting to read other similar stories and I add mine to the many. :)
hey. i am 21 and have emetophobia also. i found a website where there are MANY emets, and everyone posts messages on the messageboard. it may help. go to www.emetophobia.org. my name on there is bexcelica if you want to talk.

September 6, 2005, 9:23 am CDT

09/05 Phobias

Quote From: ohgia44

You must have a Ph.D because I can't believe you're a medical doctor.  Why would you assume someone with a phobia is faking it?  Do you think people with phobias sit at home, eating bon bons and cashing those big government checks?  Get a clue.  Or at least, get a heart.
phobias are NOTTTTTTT fake, they CAN disable you, they CAN cause you to miss things that you wish you wouldnt miss. i have emetophobia and ill tell you right now, its NOT EASY at all. imagine one thought being stuck in your head CONSTANTLY. you cant get away from it. every desicion you make depends on that one thought. i agree with you, get a clue.

September 6, 2005, 10:01 am CDT

Northern CA

Anyone out there with Emetophobia in the Sacramento area? I sure wish there could be a support group near by. I just looked and noticed a lot of information that I want to go through about this subject on google.com under Emetophobia. Maybe I'll find something that way about support groups.

September 6, 2005, 11:15 am CDT

Phobias

Hi, 

My son is eight years and has great fear when going to school, our pediatrician has prescribed home tutoring until we can better understand how to treat his condition.  Can anyone offer advise from their own experience on how to best deal with this? 

September 6, 2005, 11:20 am CDT

Phobia or OCD?

I am a 34 year old woman who has had a fear of vomitting since as early as 6 years old.  When Dr. Phil introduced Carey, I felt my heart go still.  I know that I'm not the only one with this fear - there are plenty of support sites all over the internet, but I've never heard it so publicly adressed before this show.  Her words could have been direct quotes from me, when I've been at my lowest points with this disorder.  It is such a hard thing to overcome because it is something that can strike WHENEVER and WHEREVER, to WHOMEVER it wants.    

Although I have not allowed this phobia to rule my entire life - I have faught it every step of the way and have managed to make a successful professional life, this fear has ruined my personal life.  I make myself get on airplanes, but I cannot get pregnant for fear of morning sickness - and then what a great mom I'll be as I'm running away from my sick child.  It is still holding me back, and that makes me so angry.  There isn't an hour that goes by that I don't have some sort of obsessive thought about being sick or someone else being sick.  I blame the failure of my marriage on this disorder, and I am very hesitant to try marriage again for FEAR of the same failure.  

However, I feel that I am finally on the road to some type of recovery.  I have recently been diagnosed as OCD, not just specific phobia.  This is because my Dr. believes that something in my brain chemistry is causing this, and my brain simply latched onto a fear of vomitting.  If I wasn't afraid of vomitting, I'd be afraid of something else.  So, we are treating it with medication and cognitive therapy.  It seems that I've already trained myself pretty well in cognitive thinking as a way of coping up until this point.  For now I'm just trying to take control of my life BACK from this fear which is ultimately about control.    

I want others out there to know that there is hope.  I hope to someday be able to get pregnant and have a family - but that doesn't seem likely right now.  It is so nice to know that there are other people who face the same issues.   Best of luck to all of you - regardless of what your fear is!  

September 6, 2005, 1:07 pm CDT

Some Thoughts...

Quote From: luvyurkids

Hi, 

My son is eight years and has great fear when going to school, our pediatrician has prescribed home tutoring until we can better understand how to treat his condition.  Can anyone offer advise from their own experience on how to best deal with this? 

Hi, I guess you don't know what is specifically scaring him yet? My mom kept asking me why I was so scared and she thought of what it might be (it wasn't that) but I said "yes, that's it" so I wouldn't have to talk about the fear of Emetophobia, in which this is the first time ever I have a name for it in 44 yrs. I was 10 years old when it started and my mom never found out until I was in my 30's and she didn't think or realize when I told her how serious the condition was then or as of yet. Anyway I'm trying to say is please have regular special alone times with your son. Help him feel safe. Have talks that slowly come around to fun times and later at other times when it's right to scary things. I think if my mom had the time to do that with me I might open up. It would have taken some time and patience. Plus not belittling the fear is a major factor! No matter or how small it seems it's a giant in his mind. I realize you probably know all of this and I'm not the type to give advice and it's a risk for me to reach out to you but my heart goes out to your little boy and I pray that he overcomes this at a young age. God Bless, a

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last