Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 Phobias

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:04:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine having an overwhelming, irrational fear that dominates your day-to-day life. Monica is petrified of leaving her house and being separated from her husband, who actually quit his job to stay home with her. For Michelle, it's small pieces of paper that leave her physically ill, while Pam is so terrified of birds that she'll only leave the house at night. Find out what Carey is deathly afraid of and if it even prevented her from getting on the plane to come see Dr. Phil! How can these guests get on with their lives and learn to control their phobias? Share your stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 6, 2005, 1:59 pm CDT

dear mr know nothing

Quote From: drbobbi

I am absolutely disgusted to hear that that lady is on disability and welfare because of this phobia of not being able to go outside. It is absolutely ridiculous. If she was living in another country where other people wouldnt baby her, and support this stupid reason for attention.

I think the rest of these people have phobias because they can. They have nothing better to do. If they were busy with something else, they wouldnt have time to make up these ridiculous phobias.

Ignorance plays a big part in the way people think and you are one of them.This lady has a real condition and should be on disability until she is able to function good.Unless you have had agoraphobia you will never understand it.People like you need to experience it first hand, then  see what you think about disability.

September 6, 2005, 2:05 pm CDT

emetophobics

Quote From: artist

Thank you for sharing what you have found out. That took courage! Just to look. I haven't been able to look into this phobia because of fear but after the Dr. Phil's show I don't feel as alone and crazy. I think seeing this show and communicating with others here is healing in it self. At least it's a start.

I have suffered from this since I was very small. I cannot remember not being afraid of vomiting or others around me doing the same. I don't go on trips cause I get motion sickness, don't go out to eat cause someone around me might choke and vomit, have kicked out a husband for going out drinking and vomiting on the bathroom floor which changed the way I saw him from that point on everytime he even looked at me it disgusted me. He still disgusts me. I just see that one instance and am disgusted. Never wanted kids cause of morning sickness and vomiting during labor. At 34 got pregnant had no morning sickness but worried myself into preterm delivery because of the fear of vomiting during delivery. At 36 got pregnant with my second child and literally took so much pepcid to keep from vomiting, I feared I would damage my child. She ended up fine, but was breech and I had to have a c-section which was a relief because I didn't want to vomit during labor. The pain of the c-section was like fire and I wouldn't take the pain meds cause I was told they might make me sick to my stomach but "fire pain" was better than vomiting. 

I used to get out to eat and the emetophobia would overcome me in my 20's and I would lose my breath, sweat, hyperventilate, shake, and have to leave the restaurant because the waiter wouldn't bring the check fast enough. I would run outside literally. My husband at that time thought I was silly. Now I work at home, dont go out but to the grocery store, am medicated which has helped tremendously. I would not have had my kids had I had not been medicated. I would have had serious breakdowns with the thought of being hospitalized. I insisted on a private room when both my kids were born cause I didnt want to hear or see anyone throw up. 

Recently my daughter had a stomach flu that made her vomit. She is 3 and it was her first one. I had to call my father to take care of her because after 4 hours of her vomiting every 30 minutes, I was on the verge of a breakdown. And then the guilt! I couldnt take care of my child! I physically could not move anymore, I had a migraine so bad I feared just stroking out. Between the emetophobia and the guilt because my children are my whole world, I have been near the edge, even with medication. I am ok with baby spit up but vomiting (the sound, smell, and sight) literally kills me. I have gotten to where I can watch tv ok but if I get the inkling someone on screen will puke I change the channel and get sweaty palms and racing heartbeat. 

I am glad I am not the only one. I know that vomiting is not as bad as I make it out to be, realistically, but I cant get my brain to tell my body that and stop the fears and panic attacks associated with it. No one knows my specific phobia, they just think it is fear of crowds or stress, I never tell the truth. It seems like they will say "well, no one likes to throw up" and discount it as trivial, but it definitely is not. I would rather bleed to death and have almost, cause I dont want to look at the wound and get nauseated. I just wrapped it up and called my dad to look at it and take me to the doctor and hour later. 

September 6, 2005, 2:10 pm CDT

you have no room to speak if you've never experienced a panic attack or had a phobia

Quote From: drbobbi

I am absolutely disgusted to hear that that lady is on disability and welfare because of this phobia of not being able to go outside.  It is absolutely ridiculous.  If she was living in another country where other people wouldnt baby her, and support this stupid reason for attention. 

I think the rest of these people have phobias because they can.  They have nothing better to do.  If they were busy with something else, they wouldnt have time to make up these ridiculous phobias. 

You are disgusted. Actually I am disgusted that you've even spoken how you felt when you have no clue what having a phobia is about. I am currently on Zoloft for my anxiety but I did not choose this. We do not make these up they are real. Next time before posting you need to do some research about Phobias. I'm glad you are not suffering from anything like this but never say never because one day you may be in our shoes and wait till someone makes a comment to you saying your faking it and you'll see what it's like. So, in the future keep your immoral comments to yourself. 

God Bless all the people with PHOBIAS! 

September 6, 2005, 2:26 pm CDT

I Can Relate

Quote From: skeeter

I have a fear that I have never seen or heard anyone else discuss.  My fear is that I will not be able to hold my need to urinate and that I will have an "accident".  It is not a physical problem as it only occurs when I am in a situation of not being able to get out, like sitting in the middle of an aisle during a play or sitting in the dentist's chair.  The more I think about it the more I feel like I really have to go and my fear of having an "accident" increases more.  As soon as I am released from a confining situation the feeling subsides.  Does anyone out there have the same fear? 

Good afternoon,  

I've posted numerous times about my Phobia and can relate to yours but mine is a little different. I have a fear that I'll have to use the bathroom when there is none around. I get nervous and my stomach will start to hurt and then the anxiety hits until I'm out of the situation. I've learned in the past years to control it but it never leaves me. This fear is real and I can't seem to shake it. I get nervous while waiting in line, being in situations where I cannot leave make me really anxious. I hate riding in cars with other people or being confined and not being able to move. The what if's starting going through my mind. And honestly I've had maybe 2 accidents my whole life even as a kid. Why I have this Phobia I don't know. It's a fear and it's real. I'm currenlty on Zoloft for my anxiety/panic attacks. I'm doing alot better now. I thank God I'm not homebound but sometimes I would dread leaving the house. I've learned to live with this and I finally confided in my closest friends as well as family and they seem to understand. They had no clue what I was going through. I'm not ashamed to let people know I suffer from Depression and anxiety. It helps me to feel comfortable in certain situations. I've cried numerous time over this, wondering WHY ME but I've gotten closer to God and knows he has a plan for me and will guide me through this.   

Have you talked to your Dr about this? I confided in my Gyno/Obst and told her my situation and she was compassionate and made me feel comfortable. I also sought therapy for this as well. I feel I need a Psychiatrist to actually diagnose my condition and put me on the right path and meds if needed.  

Have a Great Day!  

September 6, 2005, 4:56 pm CDT

We are very much alike!

Quote From: macpaul1

Good afternoon,  

I've posted numerous times about my Phobia and can relate to yours but mine is a little different. I have a fear that I'll have to use the bathroom when there is none around. I get nervous and my stomach will start to hurt and then the anxiety hits until I'm out of the situation. I've learned in the past years to control it but it never leaves me. This fear is real and I can't seem to shake it. I get nervous while waiting in line, being in situations where I cannot leave make me really anxious. I hate riding in cars with other people or being confined and not being able to move. The what if's starting going through my mind. And honestly I've had maybe 2 accidents my whole life even as a kid. Why I have this Phobia I don't know. It's a fear and it's real. I'm currenlty on Zoloft for my anxiety/panic attacks. I'm doing alot better now. I thank God I'm not homebound but sometimes I would dread leaving the house. I've learned to live with this and I finally confided in my closest friends as well as family and they seem to understand. They had no clue what I was going through. I'm not ashamed to let people know I suffer from Depression and anxiety. It helps me to feel comfortable in certain situations. I've cried numerous time over this, wondering WHY ME but I've gotten closer to God and knows he has a plan for me and will guide me through this.   

Have you talked to your Dr about this? I confided in my Gyno/Obst and told her my situation and she was compassionate and made me feel comfortable. I also sought therapy for this as well. I feel I need a Psychiatrist to actually diagnose my condition and put me on the right path and meds if needed.  

Have a Great Day!  

The situations you mentioned are the same ones that are very frightening for me.  Sitting in the back seat of a car is the worst or even in the front when I am not the driver.    I don't go on  rides at amusement parks because I don't want to stand in line.  Thank you so much for responding to my message.  It is nice to know I am not alone.  I have told no one, not even my husband.  I guess I am too embarrassed and I, like you, don't know where this fear came from.  I have not told my doctor, either.  I guess you could say that I have suffered in silence!

September 7, 2005, 6:00 am CDT

emetophobics

I was so "comforted" to know that there are other people who have this phobia.  I had never heard of it and even though I have been to more than one therapist, none of them had ever told me there is actually a name for it.  This phobia is destroying my sanity and I am afraid.  I don't want to live like this another day.  I want help and I'm willing to do whatever I can to overcome it.  It interferes with absolutely every thing I do 24 hours a day.  Sometimes I even dream about it in my sleep.  It's all-encompassing.  It rules my life.  It scares me.  It's horrible.  I would like to know what others have done to survive it and more importantly, overcome it.  Please share with me.  Is anyone aware of a support group for this or would you be interested in starting one via email.  Please write.  I need to stay in touch with those of you who really understand what I'm talking about and feeling.  Help!   

September 7, 2005, 6:05 am CDT

phobia

Quote From: panic911

I have suffered from this since I was very small. I cannot remember not being afraid of vomiting or others around me doing the same. I don't go on trips cause I get motion sickness, don't go out to eat cause someone around me might choke and vomit, have kicked out a husband for going out drinking and vomiting on the bathroom floor which changed the way I saw him from that point on everytime he even looked at me it disgusted me. He still disgusts me. I just see that one instance and am disgusted. Never wanted kids cause of morning sickness and vomiting during labor. At 34 got pregnant had no morning sickness but worried myself into preterm delivery because of the fear of vomiting during delivery. At 36 got pregnant with my second child and literally took so much pepcid to keep from vomiting, I feared I would damage my child. She ended up fine, but was breech and I had to have a c-section which was a relief because I didn't want to vomit during labor. The pain of the c-section was like fire and I wouldn't take the pain meds cause I was told they might make me sick to my stomach but "fire pain" was better than vomiting. 

I used to get out to eat and the emetophobia would overcome me in my 20's and I would lose my breath, sweat, hyperventilate, shake, and have to leave the restaurant because the waiter wouldn't bring the check fast enough. I would run outside literally. My husband at that time thought I was silly. Now I work at home, dont go out but to the grocery store, am medicated which has helped tremendously. I would not have had my kids had I had not been medicated. I would have had serious breakdowns with the thought of being hospitalized. I insisted on a private room when both my kids were born cause I didnt want to hear or see anyone throw up. 

Recently my daughter had a stomach flu that made her vomit. She is 3 and it was her first one. I had to call my father to take care of her because after 4 hours of her vomiting every 30 minutes, I was on the verge of a breakdown. And then the guilt! I couldnt take care of my child! I physically could not move anymore, I had a migraine so bad I feared just stroking out. Between the emetophobia and the guilt because my children are my whole world, I have been near the edge, even with medication. I am ok with baby spit up but vomiting (the sound, smell, and sight) literally kills me. I have gotten to where I can watch tv ok but if I get the inkling someone on screen will puke I change the channel and get sweaty palms and racing heartbeat. 

I am glad I am not the only one. I know that vomiting is not as bad as I make it out to be, realistically, but I cant get my brain to tell my body that and stop the fears and panic attacks associated with it. No one knows my specific phobia, they just think it is fear of crowds or stress, I never tell the truth. It seems like they will say "well, no one likes to throw up" and discount it as trivial, but it definitely is not. I would rather bleed to death and have almost, cause I dont want to look at the wound and get nauseated. I just wrapped it up and called my dad to look at it and take me to the doctor and hour later. 

I could have written your story myself.  I just sit here and read with my eyes bugged out in surprise.  Please share with me how you're getting help or what you are doing to get better.  I don't have to explain any details of my story because you wrote it yourself.  Thanks for sharing. 

September 7, 2005, 6:08 am CDT

emetophobia

Anyone out there with Emetophobia in the Sacramento area? I sure wish there could be a support group near by. I just looked and noticed a lot of information that I want to go through about this subject on google.com under Emetophobia. Maybe I'll find something that way about support groups.
I want to start an email support group.  I need to learn what others are doing to overcome this horrible phobia. 

September 7, 2005, 6:14 am CDT

phobia

I would love to stay in touch. I haven't known anyone with this phobia and it's a relief to hear of others with the same problem. I don't know if you are interested but praying has helped a lot. I had an opportunity to go on a trip oversees once and I was terrified. I prayed for months and when the time came I had the thought that I wanted to have fun like everyone else and to go ahead and take the risk. On the most part I had peace during that trip. To cover up my fear while flying or eating strange things I made jokes about it. I've come a long way. In my 20's I couldn't have done that!!!!! My 20's was the worse time of my life with this and as I said, I still have it, it's just I run to God and plead for help now. But I need to find a good therapist that specializes in this disorder.

I don't know the rules about sharing personal email addresses on this message board.  Tell me how to stay in touch with you and others with this dibilitating phobia.  I need the support.  Thanks. 

September 7, 2005, 6:53 am CDT

Glad to hear from you!

Quote From: skeeter

The situations you mentioned are the same ones that are very frightening for me.  Sitting in the back seat of a car is the worst or even in the front when I am not the driver.    I don't go on  rides at amusement parks because I don't want to stand in line.  Thank you so much for responding to my message.  It is nice to know I am not alone.  I have told no one, not even my husband.  I guess I am too embarrassed and I, like you, don't know where this fear came from.  I have not told my doctor, either.  I guess you could say that I have suffered in silence!

Don't be ashamed. There are millions of people like us. I wish you well and pray that you will seek the guidance to help you get better and in control again. My husband was a little weirded out about my phobia but now he realizes that it's real and it's just the way I am. He's my backbone as you can say to helping me keep it together but I know I can't always depend on him. I've learned to take control and deal with it the best way I can. Best wishes to you. If possible seek help as soon as you can, I can imagine the way you are. Don't suffer alone it's not worth it, there is help out there. And don't think it's silly because I felt the same way too. I know I'm not alone in this situation there are many people out there who have the same thing as us. You know praying helps me out alot. 

God Bless! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last