Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 Phobias

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:04:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine having an overwhelming, irrational fear that dominates your day-to-day life. Monica is petrified of leaving her house and being separated from her husband, who actually quit his job to stay home with her. For Michelle, it's small pieces of paper that leave her physically ill, while Pam is so terrified of birds that she'll only leave the house at night. Find out what Carey is deathly afraid of and if it even prevented her from getting on the plane to come see Dr. Phil! How can these guests get on with their lives and learn to control their phobias? Share your stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 7, 2005, 7:59 am CDT

I have found a good site!

Quote From: manthy

I don't know the rules about sharing personal email addresses on this message board.  Tell me how to stay in touch with you and others with this dibilitating phobia.  I need the support.  Thanks. 

Dear Manthy,I have found a really good site. I put it on the bottow of this message for you click on. I'm on there now as "artist" and I will put in messages in the "Discussion Forums in the "General Discussion" folder later. To go on the "Private Forum" folder you have to become a member which is free. I did that so I can go anywhere on the site. I want to get in their chat room but I haven't been able to yet. An error keeps coming up. I'll figure it out. Anyway if you appear there I'll know it's you. On this site I also found a doctor's (who started this site and has over come the same phobia) paper on this subject where you can give to your doctor or family members to help them to understand what you struggle with. I know that takes courage...it will take courage for me. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for the yearly examine and always gets very nervous going!!! Anyway here's the web site and hope to see you there : Dhttp://www.emetophobia.org/default.asp

September 7, 2005, 1:40 pm CDT

Phobia of Frogs and Toads

I did not see the show but my mother had told me about it and I wanted to read to see if I could find someone with the same phobia.  I am 32 now and can remember being petrified of frogs and toads since I was 14yrs old.  I remember playing with them when I was young, and I remember the boys playing around and flinging them at the girls.  I have a near panic attack when I encounter one... sometimes I freeze other times I run like there is no tomorrow.  I know they cannot hurt me, and its hard for people to understand.  It causes anxiety when I go to pool partys, or outdoor events.  I think its even harder now with the kids.. because I cannot run away from them.  I tried Zoloft.. a couple of therapy sessions but stopped out of embarrassment.  There is no possible way I could do exposure therapy.  Does anyone out there have this phobia and know why????

September 7, 2005, 2:34 pm CDT

Thank you!

Quote From: macpaul1

Don't be ashamed. There are millions of people like us. I wish you well and pray that you will seek the guidance to help you get better and in control again. My husband was a little weirded out about my phobia but now he realizes that it's real and it's just the way I am. He's my backbone as you can say to helping me keep it together but I know I can't always depend on him. I've learned to take control and deal with it the best way I can. Best wishes to you. If possible seek help as soon as you can, I can imagine the way you are. Don't suffer alone it's not worth it, there is help out there. And don't think it's silly because I felt the same way too. I know I'm not alone in this situation there are many people out there who have the same thing as us. You know praying helps me out alot. 

God Bless! 

Thank you for your support.  I will keep your words in mind.

September 7, 2005, 2:45 pm CDT

Just a note

Quote From: lwongf

I am 18 yrs old and I've been living with this fear since 2nd grade.  I just watched the dr. phil show on phobias and I can completely relate to what Carey is going through.  I don't know why I came to have this fear and it is comforting to know other people can relate.  I've had the anxiety worse and a little better through out the years, almost in waves.   When I have a bad experience with someone throwing up the worrying comes back strong.  At a real bad point I couldn't go to school, maybe 1 or 2 days at most.  I would get so anxious, sometimes in class I'd have to just walk out.  I ate very little during this period and my weight got as low as 92 lbs (I'm 5'2''). I even had a coach ask me if I had an eating disorder.  I'm ashamed to tell my parents and often when I would panic I'd just say I didn't feel good and went through countless medical tests because they thought something was wrong.  To make that long story short I ended up going to psychiatrist/psychologist and taking antidepressents.  None of those really helped and I just found as I didn't have any "vomiting experiences", the worrying subsided and I've been able to lead a relatively normal life right now, able to eat, go out, ride planes etc.  although the worrying is always in the back of my head.  I'm worried I will relapse into that bad of a situation as I'm going off to college and have a whole life ahead of me.  I can only resign my self to deal with the situations as they come.  Like I said it's comforting to read other similar stories and I add mine to the many. :)
 Just wanted to let you know that I completely see a mirror image of you in me.  I was scared of college too and yes there were many people vomiting over alcohol but I think that might help you get over it more.  It's going to be hard at first I imagine, as it was for me, but I can say that it did help knowing that they weren't contagious.  Going to college alone is a huge step for you and all emetophobics.....the best thing to do is not let it control us more than it already has....the intensity of the control obviously varies among each individual but the fear alone affects us all in the smallest ways.  As a senior in college I can tell you that you will be just fine.  Your experiences and fears you may encounter will definitely help you in the long run, whether you may beieve it at the time or not.  Keep an open mind, open heart, and open can of lysol around :)  I wish you the best of luck in your journey through college!  Take care!

September 7, 2005, 5:57 pm CDT

making things up

Quote From: artist

I was refering to drbobbie's quote and for some reason her quote didn't show up with my responce. I have Emetophobia so do I understand. I was upset with that drbobbie so quoted the scripture.
I never quoted scripture.  It was artist who said "Pride comes before a fall".

September 8, 2005, 6:00 am CDT

emetophobia

Quote From: artist

Dear Manthy,I have found a really good site. I put it on the bottow of this message for you click on. I'm on there now as "artist" and I will put in messages in the "Discussion Forums in the "General Discussion" folder later. To go on the "Private Forum" folder you have to become a member which is free. I did that so I can go anywhere on the site. I want to get in their chat room but I haven't been able to yet. An error keeps coming up. I'll figure it out. Anyway if you appear there I'll know it's you. On this site I also found a doctor's (who started this site and has over come the same phobia) paper on this subject where you can give to your doctor or family members to help them to understand what you struggle with. I know that takes courage...it will take courage for me. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for the yearly examine and always gets very nervous going!!! Anyway here's the web site and hope to see you there : Dhttp://www.emetophobia.org/default.asp
Thank you so much for the website.  I have registered.  I hope we can stay in touch through this.  I will comb through the website and pray for help.  I have to rely on my Higher Power to help me through this and thank  you for your help as well.  I want to get over it. 

September 8, 2005, 1:49 pm CDT

Agaraphobia

I am 60 years old and have had agaraphobia for the last i years. I panic everytime I get dressed to go anywhere. I will make a million excused why I can wait and do it another day until my back is against the wall and I have no choice. I have anxiety so bad that I run from it by telling myself, I don't need things but I know thats just a lie. I was very active before this, and it  makes me so angry because I'm a people person and I've shut out the world trying to cope with this on my own. I went to therapy for years but it didn't seem to help much. I would love to be able to share with someone about how I can get my life back. I didn't get to be this old to deserve nothing more than just stay in and not live.  It' like I'm just existing and I would love to be able to be with people and laugh and dance the way I used to before this anxiety and panic struck me.

September 8, 2005, 2:42 pm CDT

To person with PhD

Quote From: ohgia44

You must have a Ph.D because I can't believe you're a medical doctor.  Why would you assume someone with a phobia is faking it?  Do you think people with phobias sit at home, eating bon bons and cashing those big government checks?  Get a clue.  Or at least, get a heart.
Phobias do not pick and choose who their going to torment. I don't know where you got your PhD but it couldn't have been anywhere that taught you compassion.  I have been in the medical field for many years and these comments you have made are not in any medical book in the world that I've studied.  Althought in my profession, I have unfortunately met people like yourself who were  only in it for the title and the money. Because I suffer from agaraphobia myself, I sympathize with anyone going through any phobia. I was told something many years ago and it rings true for everyone. Be very careful because what goes around comes around and you just haven' t got it back yet.  Your in the wrong professsion and God help anyone you treat if indeed you are a medical professional.

September 8, 2005, 6:40 pm CDT

comment

Quote From: drbobbi

I am absolutely disgusted to hear that that lady is on disability and welfare because of this phobia of not being able to go outside.  It is absolutely ridiculous.  If she was living in another country where other people wouldnt baby her, and support this stupid reason for attention. 

I think the rest of these people have phobias because they can.  They have nothing better to do.  If they were busy with something else, they wouldnt have time to make up these ridiculous phobias. 

My phobia's are real and I do try everyday to go out into public and I think you are ridiculous. My phobia is the result of verbal and emotional abuse. I grew up believing I was no good, would not be liked by anybody, couldn't do anything right. 

Hearing those words and much worse than I put in this post are the ONLY reason I have phobias and have a hard time trying anything new, even going to a store without someone to go with me is hard. 

I feel every look my way is a judgment and feel most people think I am doing something wrong. 

So try and have a little more understanding of where these phobias come from. People do not just make these things up. 

Tammy 

September 9, 2005, 7:06 am CDT

My phobia...slowly getting better

When I was 10, I fainted after recieving a shot.  Since then it's gotten worse.  I have panic attacks some times when I know I'm about to go to the doctor to deal with a shot.  I have never had an IV, but I'm deathly afraid of it.  We do not have children.  But for awhile I was doing fertility drugs and having blood taken monthly.  I would make my husband go with me.  Finally one day he said he wouldn't go with me anymore and I had a huge panic attack.  He still wouldn't come with me.  I hate passing out.  I feel like I can feel my blood leaving my body when they take blood and I feel like I can feel stuff entering my blood when I get a shot.  Then I realize that something foreign is laying under my skin.  And that's when I pass out.  I've gotten a little better by forcing doctors to let me lay down.  I also have to drink OJ immediately after.  Sometimes they give me a cold washcloth.  I have to lay down for 15-30 minutes afterwards.  Then for 5 minutes I have to sit up.  Only when I do these things will I be able to have bloodwork done on my own.  Then I have to go home for the rest of the day to rest.  Otherwise later on in the day I'll panic about the thought of what happened earlier and pass out.  I haven't had panic attacks recently though.  So that's good.  But I get so worked up on the inside that they often can't pierce my vein to get a needle in!  I just wish this was a little more under control.  We would like to have a baby in the next few years.  That will require fertility treatments because of my medical condition.  And I'm really afraid of an IV or an epidural.  I'm afraid I'd pass out while in labor.  And that's not good.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last