Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 Phobias

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:04:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine having an overwhelming, irrational fear that dominates your day-to-day life. Monica is petrified of leaving her house and being separated from her husband, who actually quit his job to stay home with her. For Michelle, it's small pieces of paper that leave her physically ill, while Pam is so terrified of birds that she'll only leave the house at night. Find out what Carey is deathly afraid of and if it even prevented her from getting on the plane to come see Dr. Phil! How can these guests get on with their lives and learn to control their phobias? Share your stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 5, 2005, 3:56 pm CDT

09/05 Phobias

Quote From: mollygirl

I have suffered from Agoraphobia and understand the pain, shame and isolation you feel! I did not leave my house for over a year when I was 14 years old and then through medication and therapy was able to start getting out. However, when I did go out, I had to have a plan. I had to know exactly where i was going, how I would get there, how long I'd be there, and that I could leave if and when I needed to. I lost many jobs and friends over this condition. I also lost my self esteem and my first husband due to this condition. I had another "relapse" when I was 25 and married to my second husband and did not leave my home for over 9 months. Then my wonderful husband bought me tapes from the Midwest Center for Anxiety and Depression and put me in therapy. The therapy didn't work but the program from the Midwest Center did.  

I am now employed and have been with the same company for 2 years.... which is a milestone for me! I am also expecting my first baby and get out of the house a lot! I still have panicky feeling at times when I go out, but I use the coping skills I learned from the tapes my husband bought me and I get through it! 

Good luck to Monica and everyone else suffering through this!!!!  

I have read Lucinda Basset's program and have done extensive research on how to treat my agoraphobia.  It seems my biggest hurdle is being alone.  I can go for long walks etc. with someone but when I'm alone the "body symptoms" kick in.  Have you any suggestions as to handling things while alone?  Being home alone is ok but I'm currently unemployed because of this condition and find I have too much time on my hands which gives me loads of time to think of my condition.  What I wouldn't give to just get up and go shopping or for a walk alone.  I want my independent life back!!!  Also, I'm doing this without medication - just good ol' fashioned exercise, elimination of stimulants and positive thinking.

September 5, 2005, 3:59 pm CDT

Fear of Throwing up

I used to be like that when i was little, I had a really bad fear of throwing up. It got so bad that i stopped eating, it had nothing to do with body image, just abosolutly terrified of throwing up, so i wouldnt want anything in my stomach. I was also scarde to go on rides at amusement parks because i was scarde of getting sick. I totally understand what that guest in going through. It does end up taking over your life. Im 19 years old now and I guess I just grew out of it. Im not nearly as bad as I used to be. Im just lucky i was able to get over it because it is a really horrible thing to live with.

September 5, 2005, 4:03 pm CDT

Emetophobia in Canada

I too understand what living with emetophobia is like.  I am a 28 year old emetophobe who has lived in fear every single solitary day for the last 22 years of her life with her anxiety at its worst for the last 2 years.  Like the rest of us, I am embarrased to share this with people unless absolutely necessary and I was thrilled to know that I was not alone.  I see myself as a "freak" and as "crazy" and I know only too well how irrational this phobia is.  I am a junior high teacher and have to be a teacher at this level because I feel that my students have enough of an understanding of their bodies to leave the room if they are sick.  I love my job, but now I even fear field trips with my students because I had a student get motion sick on a bus last year.  I identify with Carey completely because I just returned from my honeymoon to Europe for three weeks on which I thought about people being sick on the plane the whole time(of course it never happened!).  I am tired of living like this and I won't take it anymore.  I have begun to seek help and have been going to a cognitive behavioural therapist since January.  I don't notice any major changes yet because of course because it takes a long time to unravel 22 years of avoidance behaviours, but I am learning to look at the positives in a perceived "threatening" situation, to reduce the anticipation of worrying that someone will throw up that causes 97% percent of my anxiety (think about it, how many times do we worry and how many times is it actually warranted?) and to reinforce myself for the chances I do take.  For example, I did get on the plane for my honeymoon, I did survive my student getting sick on the bus and this summer, I was able to teach summer school to 6 and 7 year olds for a month (this was a very threatening situation for me), and most recently I started some exposure therapy; that is, I have been able to look at some pictures of people actually throwing up and have been able to keep my anxiety level down while doing this.  This phobia is all about the fear of not being in control for me and I'm hoping that one day soon I will be in control of my anxiety and will be able to cope.  I don't expect miracles, just a chance at a normal life.  It would be nice to think "Ew, gross!" and not "Danger!  Danger!  Danger!"  when someone gets sick.   

Hang in there all of you, I'm trying!   

M.   

September 5, 2005, 4:03 pm CDT

09/05 Phobias

Quote From: drbobbi

I am absolutely disgusted to hear that that lady is on disability and welfare because of this phobia of not being able to go outside.  It is absolutely ridiculous.  If she was living in another country where other people wouldnt baby her, and support this stupid reason for attention. 

I think the rest of these people have phobias because they can.  They have nothing better to do.  If they were busy with something else, they wouldnt have time to make up these ridiculous phobias. 

What part of Dr. Phil were you listening to?  Firstly, the word ridiculous was one that Dr. Phil said to remove from her vocabulary!  I am also Agoraphobic and I can tell you this - I would give anything not to have this phobia!  Do you really think she would choose a life like that???  Trust me, I know a freeloader when I see one and this lady isn't one of those people.  Try to be more open minded - did you know that Kim Basinger, the famouse actress, had suffered from this phobia for years and couldn't even go near her front door to open it let alone leave her house?  Do you think she's a freeloader?  Honestly, I'm offended by your ignorance!

September 5, 2005, 4:09 pm CDT

There is Hope

I reallyy feel for all of you out there who are suffering with phobias. 

My mom has had a huge problem with phobias and panic attacks her whole life.  Everyday at school, until college she would throw up, she had to be dragged places, etc. 

Her main phobia is agoraphobia.  As she got older, and had to work, she still had issues everyday, but she had to survive, especially when I was born.  We also live in Manhattan, and there are crowded main streets everywhere. 

She was in therapy since she was little, and placed on drugs.  When she was in her 40's, after decades of non-medication techniques, and then finding Prozac, she just grew, and hasn't stopped. 

She did bio-feedback, which is very helpful.  She also does relaxation exercises with a tape twice a day. 

You won't find her in Times Square on New Years Eve ( I don't have phobias, but I wouldn't go anyway ;D ) , but she goes to the Street fairs she loves, she gets out as much as she can, and lives. 

It took a lot of work, mentally and behaviorally, but she is proof that you can learn to live with this, and conquer a lot of it. 

My heart goes out to you all, there are a lot of things you can do.  I know it's so hard to take that first step, but it is so worth it to get your life back. 

September 5, 2005, 4:49 pm CDT

09/05 Phobias

Quote From: tamlnad

What part of Dr. Phil were you listening to? Firstly, the word ridiculous was one that Dr. Phil said to remove from her vocabulary! I am also Agoraphobic and I can tell you this - I would give anything not to have this phobia! Do you really think she would choose a life like that??? Trust me, I know a freeloader when I see one and this lady isn't one of those people. Try to be more open minded - did you know that Kim Basinger, the famouse actress, had suffered from this phobia for years and couldn't even go near her front door to open it let alone leave her house? Do you think she's a freeloader? Honestly, I'm offended by your ignorance!

I am also offended. Do you think that anyone would CHOOSE to have a phobia?  

ARGGGGGHHHHHHH!  

September 5, 2005, 4:50 pm CDT

Fear of Throwing Up

It's hard for me to even type the words "throwing up". I am 54 years old and have lived with this fear since 4th grade when I saw someone at school get very sick. I happened to be in a class where I was terrified of the teacher plus emotional abuse at home from a father that was a Police officer that was a professional cross examiner. Any way I haven't thrown up since the 4th grade. In my twenties I had two children and had God's grace through the morning sickness feelings. My desire for children was very strong. I have feared planes rides, crowds, germs, car rides in the mountains, bus rides, hospitals anything or anywhere someone or myself might get sick. It was so wonderful to see the Dr Phil show today. I couldn't believe (shocked) seeing someone else with my phobia!!!!! I have felt so alone through the years. I have gotten better. My husband has a disease where he has had many intestines removed so I have been in hospitals a lot with him. I have had to rely on the Lord. I have tried to get help through therapy buy I was so scared that they would somehow make me get sick to overcome it that I would panic and not able to go very long. Anyway anyone with this fear...I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH!!! At my age I have a lot of stories but I have tried to face my fears through the years and as I have said have gotten a little better. My art has been a God send...because He understands me, that I needed something to calm me down.

September 5, 2005, 4:59 pm CDT

By the way...

I stopped eating at one point too. My husband drove me to McDonlds and gave me a cheese burger to get me to eat again...it worked : -D for the time being anyway. I got very very thin, and looked anorexic. It's just to bad, I worried all these years and still haven't gotten sick. I am hoping to overcome, I have some hope now that I have seen others trying to overcome. Thanks to you that have shared!!!!!

September 5, 2005, 5:35 pm CDT

Pokie OWCH!

Ok, I knew I'd had one phobia, possibly touches of one or two others, but watching the show made me realize I also have a fear of puking. Thinking about it, I do, kind of, but for a logical reason. I've got malformed sinuses so stuff gets stuck up there. (it took me a couple of years to start eatting rice again.) So when I vomit, I'm terrified that it'll get stuck up there, so I never throw up unless I'm deathly ill. The reason that I'm afraid of it is because I HAVE gotten vomit stuck in my sinuses, for days afterward and it burns like hell.  

But my worst fear, ot me anyways, is that of a syringe. I can't even say, see, or hear the ..... real word. I call it thew evil N-word, which opens up another can of worms! I've trained people around me to say "pokie-thing" because, given my mental state, I could burst out crying at the mere mention of it. Forget about getting me in the actually doctor's office. When I see the shot I scream and tear from the room running and crying. Someone has to litterally sit on me to keep me there, then I often throw up and half pass out. Of course I only pass out AFTER it's happened. Funny thing though, I love doctor shows such as M*A*S*H or House, yet a whimper and screech when the dreaded Pokie-Thing is on screen. It's not that I'm squemish; I love blood, I love watching horror movies, vampire movies, But I just can't handle ... the pokie thing. For example I was watching the movie Blade, watching him rip people apart, watching very graphic death sceans, but then when he had to inject himself with his serum, I had to turn away yelling "ew ew oh god, ew!" 

I've tried to associate it with sewing .. erm, thingies, but now I can't even look at those even though I used to be a sewer! And, for some reason, when I get one, my muscels ache for days afterwards even if i've gone limp. I don't understand it at all and I'm tired of people chanting the word over and over just to see me work myself into hysterics. 

September 5, 2005, 6:40 pm CDT

09/05 Phobias

I have a fear that I have never seen or heard anyone else discuss.  My fear is that I will not be able to hold my need to urinate and that I will have an "accident".  It is not a physical problem as it only occurs when I am in a situation of not being able to get out, like sitting in the middle of an aisle during a play or sitting in the dentist's chair.  The more I think about it the more I feel like I really have to go and my fear of having an "accident" increases more.  As soon as I am released from a confining situation the feeling subsides.  Does anyone out there have the same fear? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last