Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 Phobias

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:04:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Imagine having an overwhelming, irrational fear that dominates your day-to-day life. Monica is petrified of leaving her house and being separated from her husband, who actually quit his job to stay home with her. For Michelle, it's small pieces of paper that leave her physically ill, while Pam is so terrified of birds that she'll only leave the house at night. Find out what Carey is deathly afraid of and if it even prevented her from getting on the plane to come see Dr. Phil! How can these guests get on with their lives and learn to control their phobias? Share your stories and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 6, 2005, 5:31 am CDT

Panic Attacks

Quote From: britgal

You have the nerve to quote scripture.  The only one who has pride is you.  I have had panic attacks since age 13, agoraphobia at age 14 and couldn't leave my house for a year.  I have since had a marriage of 23 years,  three children, and now two grandchildren.  I also own my own business, all the while fighting again debilitating panic attacks.  How dare you assume anything about this.  You know nothing at all.    I don't want any ones pity but I would love to have a life of freedom from this.  If they came up with brain surgery to stop the thoughts and the physical and emotional symptoms I would be the first in line.  But only a few people know anything about my problem, I choose not to have people see me as different.  My youngest son doesn't even know i have this issue.  Please if you have no idea what you are talking about and have no sympathy then say nothing.   People don't want this, they all want a normal life.   

I agree with you for someone to quote scripture is  terrible.  My son suffered from generalized anxiety for over 20 years, but he has now overcome it using CBT. I would suggest that you go to this website: www.anxietynetwork.com . This is one of the websites of Dr. Richards, a psychologist that specializes in anxiety disorders.  He suffered for over 20 years before he was able to overcome social anxiety (phobia) .  He has since developed a 20 tape series for people suffering for anxiety. I purchased it for my son and it literally saved his life, because up until then his greatest wish was to go to sleep and never wake up. He now looks forward to the future.  

September 6, 2005, 5:37 am CDT

Misunderstanding...

Quote From: britgal

You have the nerve to quote scripture.  The only one who has pride is you.  I have had panic attacks since age 13, agoraphobia at age 14 and couldn't leave my house for a year.  I have since had a marriage of 23 years,  three children, and now two grandchildren.  I also own my own business, all the while fighting again debilitating panic attacks.  How dare you assume anything about this.  You know nothing at all.    I don't want any ones pity but I would love to have a life of freedom from this.  If they came up with brain surgery to stop the thoughts and the physical and emotional symptoms I would be the first in line.  But only a few people know anything about my problem, I choose not to have people see me as different.  My youngest son doesn't even know i have this issue.  Please if you have no idea what you are talking about and have no sympathy then say nothing.   People don't want this, they all want a normal life.   
I was refering to drbobbie's quote and for some reason her quote didn't show up with my responce. I have Emetophobia so do I understand. I was upset with that drbobbie so quoted the scripture.

September 6, 2005, 5:55 am CDT

phobias

Quote From: lwongf

I am 18 yrs old and I've been living with this fear since 2nd grade.  I just watched the dr. phil show on phobias and I can completely relate to what Carey is going through.  I don't know why I came to have this fear and it is comforting to know other people can relate.  I've had the anxiety worse and a little better through out the years, almost in waves.   When I have a bad experience with someone throwing up the worrying comes back strong.  At a real bad point I couldn't go to school, maybe 1 or 2 days at most.  I would get so anxious, sometimes in class I'd have to just walk out.  I ate very little during this period and my weight got as low as 92 lbs (I'm 5'2''). I even had a coach ask me if I had an eating disorder.  I'm ashamed to tell my parents and often when I would panic I'd just say I didn't feel good and went through countless medical tests because they thought something was wrong.  To make that long story short I ended up going to psychiatrist/psychologist and taking antidepressents.  None of those really helped and I just found as I didn't have any "vomiting experiences", the worrying subsided and I've been able to lead a relatively normal life right now, able to eat, go out, ride planes etc.  although the worrying is always in the back of my head.  I'm worried I will relapse into that bad of a situation as I'm going off to college and have a whole life ahead of me.  I can only resign my self to deal with the situations as they come.  Like I said it's comforting to read other similar stories and I add mine to the many. :)
I am amazed to find out that other people actually have the same phobia that I have.  I assumed I was the only one.  We have to get help.  Please stay in touch.

September 6, 2005, 5:55 am CDT

phobia

Quote From: hunny7784

I am extremely relieved to hear your stories and comforted to know that there are people out there like me.  I have felt like I was alone for such a long time, drawing people away because the fear consumed my life.  I have done much research on this and at 21 years of age I feel like I know a lot about our phobia.  Did you know that the majority of emetophobics don't actually throw up?  We have this subconscious part of our brain that fights off the action of vomiting.  Also, I have actually hyperventalated and almost passed out because I was so nauseus before.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  I hear a lot about everyone being afraid of vomiting in front of people but that isn't my major fear.  My fear is of other people vomiting and "catching" the germs so I get sick....then my fear turns into me getting sick.  I think if contagion was eliminated from the equation, I would be able to cope with anxiety easier....because then I could start trying to face vomit itself.  I once took care of someone who was drunk and vomiting because I knew they weren't contagious.  Of course I was crying through it all but at least I got through it and can say I did...it was a huge step for me....don't know if I could do it anytime again soon though.  Anyway, is there anyone out there with a success story to lead me in the right direction?  I am so sick of being controlled by a fear.  Do help us!  Thanks!

I have this incredibly horrible phobia and am surprised to find out it actually has a name.  I'm seeking help and hope you will share whatever you learn with me.  It's destroying my life.  Thanks. 

September 6, 2005, 5:59 am CDT

phobia

Quote From: artist

It's hard for me to even type the words "throwing up". I am 54 years old and have lived with this fear since 4th grade when I saw someone at school get very sick. I happened to be in a class where I was terrified of the teacher plus emotional abuse at home from a father that was a Police officer that was a professional cross examiner. Any way I haven't thrown up since the 4th grade. In my twenties I had two children and had God's grace through the morning sickness feelings. My desire for children was very strong. I have feared planes rides, crowds, germs, car rides in the mountains, bus rides, hospitals anything or anywhere someone or myself might get sick. It was so wonderful to see the Dr Phil show today. I couldn't believe (shocked) seeing someone else with my phobia!!!!! I have felt so alone through the years. I have gotten better. My husband has a disease where he has had many intestines removed so I have been in hospitals a lot with him. I have had to rely on the Lord. I have tried to get help through therapy buy I was so scared that they would somehow make me get sick to overcome it that I would panic and not able to go very long. Anyway anyone with this fear...I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH!!! At my age I have a lot of stories but I have tried to face my fears through the years and as I have said have gotten a little better. My art has been a God send...because He understands me, that I needed something to calm me down.
I know EXACTLY what you are going through.  I've had this phobia for several years now.  It's destroying my life and I need help.  Please stay in touch with me.  Tell me how you have coped with it or what you are doing to get over it.

September 6, 2005, 6:05 am CDT

phobia

Quote From: michou

I too understand what living with emetophobia is like.  I am a 28 year old emetophobe who has lived in fear every single solitary day for the last 22 years of her life with her anxiety at its worst for the last 2 years.  Like the rest of us, I am embarrased to share this with people unless absolutely necessary and I was thrilled to know that I was not alone.  I see myself as a "freak" and as "crazy" and I know only too well how irrational this phobia is.  I am a junior high teacher and have to be a teacher at this level because I feel that my students have enough of an understanding of their bodies to leave the room if they are sick.  I love my job, but now I even fear field trips with my students because I had a student get motion sick on a bus last year.  I identify with Carey completely because I just returned from my honeymoon to Europe for three weeks on which I thought about people being sick on the plane the whole time(of course it never happened!).  I am tired of living like this and I won't take it anymore.  I have begun to seek help and have been going to a cognitive behavioural therapist since January.  I don't notice any major changes yet because of course because it takes a long time to unravel 22 years of avoidance behaviours, but I am learning to look at the positives in a perceived "threatening" situation, to reduce the anticipation of worrying that someone will throw up that causes 97% percent of my anxiety (think about it, how many times do we worry and how many times is it actually warranted?) and to reinforce myself for the chances I do take.  For example, I did get on the plane for my honeymoon, I did survive my student getting sick on the bus and this summer, I was able to teach summer school to 6 and 7 year olds for a month (this was a very threatening situation for me), and most recently I started some exposure therapy; that is, I have been able to look at some pictures of people actually throwing up and have been able to keep my anxiety level down while doing this.  This phobia is all about the fear of not being in control for me and I'm hoping that one day soon I will be in control of my anxiety and will be able to cope.  I don't expect miracles, just a chance at a normal life.  It would be nice to think "Ew, gross!" and not "Danger!  Danger!  Danger!"  when someone gets sick.   

Hang in there all of you, I'm trying!   

M.   

Thank you for sharing your story.  This phobia is consuming my life.

September 6, 2005, 6:14 am CDT

Misunderstanding...2

Now I see how you guys misread my responce to drbobbie. I WAS NOT agreeing with her ,never, never would! I was saying in replying to her message that pride comes before a fall. That she was being prideful saying such things. I hope you all understand. Leave it to me to mess things up.

September 6, 2005, 6:28 am CDT

I would love too...

Quote From: manthy

I know EXACTLY what you are going through.  I've had this phobia for several years now.  It's destroying my life and I need help.  Please stay in touch with me.  Tell me how you have coped with it or what you are doing to get over it.
I would love to stay in touch. I haven't known anyone with this phobia and it's a relief to hear of others with the same problem. I don't know if you are interested but praying has helped a lot. I had an opportunity to go on a trip oversees once and I was terrified. I prayed for months and when the time came I had the thought that I wanted to have fun like everyone else and to go ahead and take the risk. On the most part I had peace during that trip. To cover up my fear while flying or eating strange things I made jokes about it. I've come a long way. In my 20's I couldn't have done that!!!!! My 20's was the worse time of my life with this and as I said, I still have it, it's just I run to God and plead for help now. But I need to find a good therapist that specializes in this disorder.

September 6, 2005, 6:36 am CDT

Agoraphobia

I have been agoraphobic since age 5 (my first memory of an attack).  For the most part, I can live with it because I only have attacks when I am in a situation when I feel that there is no way I can get home or it may be difficult(this includes being expected to stay at a certain place).  My last attack was at my own wedding.  When I realized that I could not leave because I was the bride and therefore expected to stay, I had an attack and ended up leaving right after the ceremony (I returned when feeling better, during the late evening)  Funny thing is, I didn`t know what was wrong with me until about 1 year ago, when I was hospitalised due to an attack and the Dr. told me that...no I was not having a heart attack, it was a panic attack!  I was deeply embaressed.  I have since then purchased books on the subject and would love to discuss this with other who can understand.  Sincerely

September 6, 2005, 6:45 am CDT

09/05 Phobias

I can relate to monica. I have agoraphobia.  

Although I am not restricted to my house I can not go long distances  

I am challenging these limits and have gone 100 miles from my house.  

Each time I challenge these limits its creates lots of anxiety.  

I also have ocd so I know what these disorders are like.  

So you have a friend!  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last