Message Boards

Topic : 09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Number of Replies: 64
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:05:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil flies to Houston to join the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. He consoles victims desperately searching for loved ones, holds a town hall meeting for evacuees gripped with fear, and helps people who've lost everything prepare for the challenges ahead. Meet a family devastated by separation and be part of their joyful reunion. Plus, how does a nation in shock move forward after the worst natural disaster in its history? Share your thoughts and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2005, 2:03 pm CDT

Able to help & Frustrated

Thank You with ALL MY HEART Dr. Phil for helping these Great People!! My family resides in Fort Hood Texas and I have posted numerous offers to house a family but I haven't received a response yet. I am so completely frustrated with Federal, State and Local officials at the way this is all going. We find out everyday that there's a another spot within Louisiana where people are waiting to be rescued. You have thousands not willing to leave, but you still have people that have not been located because all of the resources are focused within a specific area. And I am Absolutley Ashamed with Red Cross and FEMA. Knowing that these 2 giants prevent private and individual groups from helping. Those being housed in churches are unable to receive aid from with of these companies. All I have to say is that I will think twice before I throw my arm out to give blood. With them doing that with these people suffering, Lord know what they'll do with the blood I donate. back on the subject, I'm prous to be an American... Very Proud but ashamed that my government failed the people. I am here for whoever needs me! If there is someone located within Central Texas near Fort Hood and you need something, a place to go, a few dollars in your pocket or even just a family to take you and your family out to get away..... We are Here! The American people are here, and Dr. Phil couldn't have expressed that more deeply and more sincere than the he did today!! Thank You Dr. Phil and God Bless the Hurricane Survivors and Rebuilders... You are an inspiration to us all!! Kimberley scrapbookarmy@yahoo.com

September 8, 2005, 2:26 pm CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Quote From: jaidenjmom

Thank You with ALL MY HEART Dr. Phil for helping these Great People!! My family resides in Fort Hood Texas and I have posted numerous offers to house a family but I haven't received a response yet. I am so completely frustrated with Federal, State and Local officials at the way this is all going. We find out everyday that there's a another spot within Louisiana where people are waiting to be rescued. You have thousands not willing to leave, but you still have people that have not been located because all of the resources are focused within a specific area. And I am Absolutley Ashamed with Red Cross and FEMA. Knowing that these 2 giants prevent private and individual groups from helping. Those being housed in churches are unable to receive aid from with of these companies. All I have to say is that I will think twice before I throw my arm out to give blood. With them doing that with these people suffering, Lord know what they'll do with the blood I donate. back on the subject, I'm prous to be an American... Very Proud but ashamed that my government failed the people. I am here for whoever needs me! If there is someone located within Central Texas near Fort Hood and you need something, a place to go, a few dollars in your pocket or even just a family to take you and your family out to get away..... We are Here! The American people are here, and Dr. Phil couldn't have expressed that more deeply and more sincere than the he did today!! Thank You Dr. Phil and God Bless the Hurricane Survivors and Rebuilders... You are an inspiration to us all!! Kimberley scrapbookarmy@yahoo.com
Kimberly, I so totally agree with you!!! I live in Heidenheimer, TX, close to Temple, TX, not far from you, and I'm having trouble over here finding out WHERE any of the hurricane evacuees are!! I found out today that up in the east Texas area, they're housing some hurricane survivors at a "camp" which is outside, mosquitos, no lights, no bedding, outhouses, NO BETTER THAN WHAT THEY HAD...yet 20 minutes away (but in a different COUNTY) there are churches with beds, food, clothes, and other housing set up for complete families to come stay at for ANY length of time...BUT THEY WON'T MOVE THEM because of the county JURISDICTION issue!!! WHAT A CROCK!!! The news media and investigators have been made aware of this particular situation, so hopefully soon it will be resolved...but this just goes to show what GOVERNMENT can do!! Many more individuals just need to jump in, go to shelter, find a family or individuals, ask them if they'd like to come home with them, and just take them! A man from San Diego charted planes, flew to Baton Rouge and went thru shelters there and in New Orleans early this week, said he simply talked to evacuees, asked if any would like "to check out San Diego," and before long, his planes were FULL! And he flew them all back there, had housing already planned for them, and potential jobs...said "God blessed me with plenty of money where I can do this, they owe me nothing, and I'll take care of them till they can get on their feet." This is an INDIVIDUAL CITIZEN!!! Seems like good old American take-care-of-each-other is way outweighing what the government and government services are doing....to anyone else out there, especially in the Temple/Belton area, if you need help, a place to stay, some work to do (we have a farm and ALWAYS have chores, haha), a helping hand, a ride somewhere, please just email me...I'm not rich, but I'll give you the shirt off my back and anything else I have to assist you in any way I can. To Dr. Phil, you're the BEST!!! Of course, you're from Texas....NUFF SAID!!!! LOL!! GOD BLESS ALL THE HURRICANE SURVIVORS!!! My contact info is <howlerw@earthlink.net>

September 8, 2005, 2:29 pm CDT

Hurricane Katrina Aftermath

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by Hurricane katrina. I have watched the coverage of the Hurricane on the news and on Dr. Phil's show and it is the most heart breaking thing I have ever seen in my life!  I have donated money to help folks and have completed applications online at HurricaneHousing.Com & MoveOn.Org to assist a family displaced by this disaster. (We don't have much money-it takes a willingness to share your home- especially those living near public transportation) I am a stay at home mom currently but I used to be a social worker assisting people experiencing homelessness in Baltimore, MD. It is VERY difficult for someone to get back on their feet after becoming homeless, but not impossible.  Affordable housing in this country is not widely available, and neither are living wages where people can earn a living to support their family!!! Just to get a job, one will need ID, yet ID is not given without ID!!! Even a birth certificate, costs between 7.00-25.00 (depending on the state) and will take several weeks if not months to receive through the mail--but again some sort of photo ID is needed to apply for it!!! Hopefully, someone or some group can help set up more transitional housing for those in need. Please don't forget these survivors and their beloved pets, as Dr. Phil stated, after this is not the top news story anymore, they will still need help and our prayers in the future. If everyone helps a little, it will help a lot!!!

September 8, 2005, 2:33 pm CDT

Thank you Dr. Phil.

I have to say thank you to Dr. Phil.  I am so tired of everyone making a political stand concerning this disaster.  Everyone is pointing fingers!  I am a substitute teacher, and one of the things I tell a class of elementary students when I go in their room is: "I don't listen to tattlers!"  I think it is so immature and childish of all these rap stars, movie stars, reporters, talk show hosts, etc. to be pointing fingers here and there!  What about getting up and helping.  Do people really think that by pointing fingers and accusing others of being racist that they are helping the victims of this horrible disaster?  Thank you Dr. Phil for being the only one that I feel has not tried to persuade people to your political view!  It is nice to have someone so famous not sway people, but let them think for themselves!

September 8, 2005, 2:49 pm CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Quote From: anissasmom

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by Hurricane katrina. I have watched the coverage of the Hurricane on the news and on Dr. Phil's show and it is the most heart breaking thing I have ever seen in my life!  I have donated money to help folks and have completed applications online at HurricaneHousing.Com & MoveOn.Org to assist a family displaced by this disaster. (We don't have much money-it takes a willingness to share your home- especially those living near public transportation) I am a stay at home mom currently but I used to be a social worker assisting people experiencing homelessness in Baltimore, MD. It is VERY difficult for someone to get back on their feet after becoming homeless, but not impossible.  Affordable housing in this country is not widely available, and neither are living wages where people can earn a living to support their family!!! Just to get a job, one will need ID, yet ID is not given without ID!!! Even a birth certificate, costs between 7.00-25.00 (depending on the state) and will take several weeks if not months to receive through the mail--but again some sort of photo ID is needed to apply for it!!! Hopefully, someone or some group can help set up more transitional housing for those in need. Please don't forget these survivors and their beloved pets, as Dr. Phil stated, after this is not the top news story anymore, they will still need help and our prayers in the future. If everyone helps a little, it will help a lot!!!
I just finished watching today's show almost an hour ago and it was inspiring to watch.  I have also watched all the coverage as well.  I am a social worker with the TN Department of Children's Services and we here are helping children displaced from their parents.  It is possible for the evacuees to get back on their feet, but it will take ALL of America's help!

September 8, 2005, 3:04 pm CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

I'm swedish and only 19 so mayby i doesnt know so much... 

But this problem would not had happend if the gov had more responsible and not the "states",no i dont blame bush,i think this would have happend if kerry was in charge too. 

I also think its embarssing when people like Sean penn,goes out in a small boat that also leaked with a private photographer to look like some kind of hero... 

Also one of my moms brother who got parkinson also always wanted to visit new orleans,glad he wasnt there :( 

Anyway i hope everything turns out good and that you people in the states know some people here in europe does care about our american friends. 

I also watch dr phil every day,its broadcast here at 19.05 to 20.05 :) 

Also i suggest people to donate to red cross and not some companies that give some money of their products they sell to red cross,i mean they often do that in some kind of pr way...also they get the credit for it,no red cross should get every money. 

Anyway i hope the best for you guys. 

September 8, 2005, 4:46 pm CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

What all the celebrities are doing is great! I am sad that it took a catastrophic event of this magnitude to help Hurricane victims. I have made it through the hardships of many Hurricanes without aid and suffered because no on CARED! My cousin is still in a FEMA Mobile Home with her working husband, 3 children and 1 on the way in Punta Gourda over 1 year later. They heeded the warnings and evacuated only to return to find their home destroyed. What about them? What about the future of the newest victims that no one cares about?

September 8, 2005, 7:47 pm CDT

God has Blessed Us, he made Us Americans.

Yes, there are NO words to describe the kind of devastation that this disaster has brought to our fellow Americans. I can not speak for other areas, however, in the state where I live where some of the evacuees are arriving, there are actually so many people asking to volunteer that the American Red Cross and other major ‘help’ organizations have been thanking the public but letting everyone know that there’s a SURPLUS of ‘helpers’ right , now. Folks who wish to help are being asked to put their names and phone numbers on a list and wait for a call.

We’re Americans. We are survivors. As a PEOPLE we do respond, we care and we WILL help our neighbors from the Gulf Coast recover with our money, with our hearts and with our hands!!!  

I am VERY grateful to Dr. Phil and every other person in the national eye who are not only offering help NOW but who ALSO point out that ALL of the people devastated by this disaster are going to CONTINUE to need our support, for an extended period of time.    

Brenda  

September 8, 2005, 8:55 pm CDT

New Idea

I have been think over the last week of another way for corporate America and Americans to come together to donate time and money to help with the relief efforts in the aftermath of Katrina.  My idea is for corporate America to allow employees to donate the money from there vacation time.  In a time where the cost of living is increasing and the price of gas is going up many Americans can't afford to give money out of there weekly or monthly budgets.  What most Americans can afford is to take one or two less days of paid vacation.  When you think about how most average Americans are donating money you realize that many are using there credit cards, increasing the national credit debt.  But if we could give cash money that is provided by our employers as paid time off then American could donate cash helping the economy and minimizing the increase of credit card debt.  The company I work for employees more than 40,000 people and if the average hourly employee is making $10.00 an hour and each on donates one paid vacation day it would equal more than 3.2million dollars. 

This is an idea that I believe could change the way we donate money and raise funds in emergency situations that will also help keep Americans from going any further into debt with there credit cards. 

September 8, 2005, 9:09 pm CDT

I Remember Hugo...

I submitted the earlier post because I know about the heart of Americans.   

I worked the night that Hurricane Hugo came slamming into South Carolina. I saw things flying that night that I NEVER thought I’d see! It was an unbelievable night! The next day the devastation was quite clear and sobering. (I'M NOT Comparing Hugo to Katrina, here! Hugo was Massive, strong and very distructive but not a Katrina.)  

When days passed and FEMA nor any other branch of the federal government was anywhere to be found the American people were already active. The Heart of the American people was with the people of South Carolina for the long haul as the arguments about the governments failure to respond swirled around us. I remember how much LOVE I had for Americans in the weeks and months following Hugo.   

Never under-estimate the depth of the American Heart!!!!!!!  

Brenda  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last