Message Boards

Topic : 09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Number of Replies: 64
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:05:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil flies to Houston to join the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. He consoles victims desperately searching for loved ones, holds a town hall meeting for evacuees gripped with fear, and helps people who've lost everything prepare for the challenges ahead. Meet a family devastated by separation and be part of their joyful reunion. Plus, how does a nation in shock move forward after the worst natural disaster in its history? Share your thoughts and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2005, 9:35 pm CDT

Great Idea!!!!

Quote From: dustind

I have been think over the last week of another way for corporate America and Americans to come together to donate time and money to help with the relief efforts in the aftermath of Katrina.  My idea is for corporate America to allow employees to donate the money from there vacation time.  In a time where the cost of living is increasing and the price of gas is going up many Americans can't afford to give money out of there weekly or monthly budgets.  What most Americans can afford is to take one or two less days of paid vacation.  When you think about how most average Americans are donating money you realize that many are using there credit cards, increasing the national credit debt.  But if we could give cash money that is provided by our employers as paid time off then American could donate cash helping the economy and minimizing the increase of credit card debt.  The company I work for employees more than 40,000 people and if the average hourly employee is making $10.00 an hour and each on donates one paid vacation day it would equal more than 3.2million dollars. 

This is an idea that I believe could change the way we donate money and raise funds in emergency situations that will also help keep Americans from going any further into debt with there credit cards. 

What a creative thinker you are! That's a fabulous idea. Why don't you e-mail the idea to the Dr. Phil show? That sort of idea needs Corporate Leaderships attention!!!

September 8, 2005, 10:04 pm CDT

Thanks Dr Phil for showing what it means to be a HUMAN BEING

Dr. Phil, Thank You for going "HOME" to Texas ! Your guiding light shined brightly on the many faces of those who were hit the hardest by Hurricane Katrina . I could see in the eyes of those who spoke to you on camera. That just you being there and caring about them and what has happen. made their days a little brighter. WAY 2 GO DR.PHIL !!

September 8, 2005, 10:31 pm CDT

Amazing People

My heart breaks for the survivors!  Thank you to Dr. Phil for showing that you can help and share the stories of the people without making it into a political or racial statement.  We are all Americans and our brothers and sisters need help.  Let's stop the blame game and start with trying to heal. These children do not care who is in political office or what income brackets people are in they just want their family.   I look at the websites of all their little faces looking for their families and then the parents in desperate searches for there loved ones.  I can not imaging how scary it must be to have lost all your personal belongs and then not have your family or even know your families where abouts to move forward and lean on.  I hope that we will reunite these families as quickly as possible.  These survivors are not asking for much.. they want their family, a warm safe place to sleep and food.  How simple is that!   

My husband and I were just talking about how sometimes it feels like there just isn't enough that we can give to these amazing people.  All we can do is to continue to pray for their strength and health.  I challenge everyone to do everything humanly possible to help our brothers and sisters.  We may not be able to understand how they feel  but we can show them that we care and every single one of them matter (including those who did not survive).  God Bless. 

Kelly  

Missouri 

September 9, 2005, 5:44 am CDT

GREAT JOB DR. PHIL

Dr. Phil, you should get a humanitarian award for what you accomplished on your show on Thursday, September 8, 2005.  I was moved by the reunions that happened.  Your friends should also be commended for what they offered the families.  Jobs, homes and in the case of the first family a vehicle and most of all, the ability to start over after having gone through what they did.  You showed America the plight of these survivors of a horrible disaster and the good that can come out of it.  God Bless you Dr. Phil!! 

September 9, 2005, 5:56 am CDT

would you want to live there doc?

response to dr. phil's condo giveaway anouncement to the family in houston--nice gesture, but did you do a background check on these people---like are they clean and will they swear to keep up their new condo in EXACTLY the same manner as their neighbors do theirs???? if they do not---will YOU DOC go there and personally clean the premises YOUSELF---that is right---YOURSELF!!!!! these people and you doc have a responsibility to the new neighbors!!!!! helping is great, BUT there are RESPONSIBILITIES that go with that. america has been slowly losing this awareness since LBJ's great society started. remember doc---you need to clean it YOURSELF if they do not---don't hire it done!!!!!

September 9, 2005, 8:05 am CDT

helping

My husband and a few others from his work took time off, loaded trailers with food and tools and went south to help.  They have been cutting trees, fixing roofs and whatever they can to try and help in AL and Mississippi now.  All we can do is what we can, not what we can not.  Try to remember that every little bit can help.  If you can not afford to send money, food or supplies, send your hopes and prayers. 

September 9, 2005, 8:06 am CDT

need information

I have a total of 10 relatives that lived in Violet, Louisiana and Chalmette, which are both in St Bernard's Parish.  They are all evacuated and safe.  The first day after the hurricane, the news reports noted that their area had been particularly hard hit.  After New Orleans flooded, there was no more mention.  My family needs information about the area in order to make decisions about going on with their lives.  How can we find this out?  Or, if you have any information, please pass it on.  

Thank you so much.  

September 9, 2005, 8:49 am CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Ahum...Dr phil salary is so high that you can expect him to do what others cant with their incomes,also companies often take chances to show themself and get great PR,i just hope they do it for the right reasons... ofc any help is great from whoever it comes frome and what their intention is. 

September 9, 2005, 10:39 am CDT

How very sad...

Quote From: pragmatic

response to dr. phil's condo giveaway anouncement to the family in houston--nice gesture, but did you do a background check on these people---like are they clean and will they swear to keep up their new condo in EXACTLY the same manner as their neighbors do theirs???? if they do not---will YOU DOC go there and personally clean the premises YOUSELF---that is right---YOURSELF!!!!! these people and you doc have a responsibility to the new neighbors!!!!! helping is great, BUT there are RESPONSIBILITIES that go with that. america has been slowly losing this awareness since LBJ's great society started. remember doc---you need to clean it YOURSELF if they do not---don't hire it done!!!!!

You watched the show and yet this is what you came away with? Background checks and the assumption that they are not worthy to live in the condo's Dr. Phil arranged.   

The families that Dr. Phil helped with housing looked and sounded like wonderful people that anyone would be proud to know. Each of those people came from homes that were swept away through no fault of their own. Your "not in my backyard" attitude is, thankfully, not indicitave of how most of us think and feel but your words are as hurtful to those people as the message in the Texas church which compared New Orleans to Soddam and Gamorrah and said they deserved to feel God's wrath.   

Shame on you for your narrow mindedness in this time of sorrow for so many rightous and worthy people. Your life must be very sad if you could look at those families and think of nothing but how they'd clean their condos and whether they would fit in with their neighbours. I pray and fully expect that their new neighbours will welcome them with open arms and hearts. I'm a Canadian but I know that the majority of our American neighbours are the friendliest and most caring people in the world. They always show it at times like this and I know your opinion is definitely a minority one but it's this kind of racist and classist thinking that keeps good people down. Would you also ask for background checks on white families who were similarily displaced? I doubt it....  

September 9, 2005, 10:49 am CDT

St. Bernard's parish

Quote From: red419

I have a total of 10 relatives that lived in Violet, Louisiana and Chalmette, which are both in St Bernard's Parish.  They are all evacuated and safe.  The first day after the hurricane, the news reports noted that their area had been particularly hard hit.  After New Orleans flooded, there was no more mention.  My family needs information about the area in order to make decisions about going on with their lives.  How can we find this out?  Or, if you have any information, please pass it on.  

Thank you so much.  

I read that the parish was cut off from aid because of it's geographic location for about 5 days. That's also the parish that sustained the huge oil leak (200,000 gallons of oil from a heavy crude tank) and, sadly, it's the parish where the group of people were found tied together and drowned.  

I think this article http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/12595149.htm should give your family some of the information they're looking for.   

My warmest wishes are with you and your family members.   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last