Message Boards

Topic : 09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Number of Replies: 64
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:05:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil flies to Houston to join the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. He consoles victims desperately searching for loved ones, holds a town hall meeting for evacuees gripped with fear, and helps people who've lost everything prepare for the challenges ahead. Meet a family devastated by separation and be part of their joyful reunion. Plus, how does a nation in shock move forward after the worst natural disaster in its history? Share your thoughts and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2005, 10:54 am CDT

To all of you out there helping

Despite the negative posts by a few people, no one should be left to deal with the aftermath of what has happened to them.  I wish I had the opportunity to be there, offer housing, SOMETHING other than writing a check. So for all of your staff, and you Dr.Phil, thank you for doing what others of us cannot.  And, wouldn't it be nice if the powers that be actaully paid these victims to go back in and help rebuild their city and homes?  They are going to have to hire someone to do all the work, and this would give these people a chance to start over, feel like they have a say, give them income and the dignity of a job for their families to rely on. Yes it is a toxic wasteland at the moment, but after that has been resolved somehow, if it were my home city, my life, I would want to be there, want to be involved in getting MY city, my family, my home and my life back. If the red tape of liability insurance, and all that crap can be minimzed, I think it would give the citizens hope and pride to be involved, hands on, kind of what Habitat for Humanity does...just random thoughts....

September 9, 2005, 2:47 pm CDT

daughter in Mississippi

I watch the Dr. Phis everyday possible. I have followed every aspect of Katrina, and I think you are the greatest!!!!!!!!  My daughter just moved to Ocean Springs MS in May. I was there in July,  she got married on Aug. 5th,  and lost everything she owned but her life and new Truck, and husband.  We are from Missouri, and this is the worse disaster ever.  And, I will never under stand, she works for a bank, (which will remain nameless) and they set up a central office in Baton Rouge LA, and the employees are either driving or bussing back and forth there everyday to work.  That is 160 miles ONE WAY. Then go home (or where they are at ) and do it again the next day.  I don't understand with the gas situation, how that is going to benefit anyone.  Not to mention the fact that most of the people there are trying to put their lives back together, to me that is insult on top of injury.  My new son-in-law is in the NAVY. and he was stationed in Pascagoula, but will probably stay in fla. now. He only gets one week leave, and she is spending it on the road to Baton Rouge. Personally I think it stinks. But, who am I but one persons mother.  Thanks for listening,    HUGGGGGS  TERRY

September 10, 2005, 1:39 am CDT

Personal experience

We have been through many hurricanes before, but nothing like this.  I spoke with my mom the day before Katrina hit and asked her to leave; but she refused, saying she had stayed through all other hurricanes without a problem and wasn't expecting to have any problems with this one.  Fortunately, she lives in a small city about 60 miles north of New Orleans so she didn't have any flood damage; however, her house is a mess.  As soon as we could get to her, we were there to bring her home with us to Virginia.  I could not believe the devastation we saw from Meridian, MS to my mom's home in Bogalusa, LA.  I have never seen anything like it before & hope I never do again.  When we arrived at Mom's, she was sitting in her kitchen in front of a fan being run by a generator.  Mom is 77 years old, in very poor health and as stubborn as one can be.  Fortunately, she didn't put up much of a fight about leaving.  Other relatives refused to leave, and I am still very concerned about them.  My brother, his family, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are still there.  They have been told that they could be without electricity for at least 3 months, but they are determined to pick up the pieces and rebuild.   

My husband's family lives in Hattiesburg, MS.  They are finally getting electricity and phone service restored.  Their homes survived, battered but not destroyed.  One of our youngest relatives , 3 years old, lost all her toys, bedroom furniture, clothing, etc.  She is very sad about losing all her "babies".   

People were terrific to us while we were on the trip and have been very kind to Mom since we got back to Virginia.  For example, Wal-Mart gave Mom a 7 day supply of all her medicines.  This was most helpful since she was out of almost all of them.  The doctor she saw once we returned to   

Virginia gave her free samples of her medicines, got new tips for her cane, and didn't charge her the co-pay.  Others have given her hugs, listened to her stories, etc.  

For those of you who have posted kind messages and/or sent help, God bless you.  I know the people down there are very thankful for your assistance and prayers.     

September 10, 2005, 6:19 pm CDT

A little goes a long way

I can't even imagine what these people are going through.  But I do know that we need to help by providing what we can.  I am by no means a RICH person, but I do donate what little money I do have at the time to this tradgedy.  I think it's right for us all to come together for these people and donate $1, $2, $5 or what ever maybe in your budget. Because I would want them to do the same for me, if we had such a horrible tradgedy here on the West Coast. 

Andria Clark 

San Diego, CA 

September 10, 2005, 7:12 pm CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Tragically, it seems like there is an eerie parallel to Katrina and WWII concentration
camps.  Like minority prisioners in Dachau, poor black men, women, and babies were herded
into a hot "death camp", the New Orleans Convention Center.  They were given no
food or water for days on end, and instead of providing them with aid, all the
Bush administration did was sent in more guards.

Like in Dachau and Auschwitz, thousands were starved needlessly within days in the
gravest act of intentional genocide in modern American history. Their "crime" ??
Not voting for Bush.  Who blames them.

Shame on his administration!  They should go on trial for what they did.
Premeditated criminal neglect.

No wonder the phrase "blame game" was used 8 times in yesterday's White House press
conference.  And now they have the nerve to say they simply want to move on? The
American people are not stupid, and deserve much better.

September 11, 2005, 2:23 am CDT

Rescued Shih Tzu on the show

Hi All,  

Somebody posted on the Katrina board on petfinder.org that Dr Phil had a rescued Shih Tzu on his show and that it was the same one that was shown swimming in the photograph taken by Robert Gauthier of the LA Times.  Can somebody who saw the show please confirm that?  Did they actually say this was the dog in the picture who was plucked out of the water and taken to the Superdome by the photographer?  I know many people are concerned about this litte dog and it would be great to know he/she was safe now.   You can email me at nahnahnah@aol.com.  Thanks so much!  

Patty  

September 12, 2005, 7:38 am CDT

Your Idea is worth a lot

Quote From: dustind

I have been think over the last week of another way for corporate America and Americans to come together to donate time and money to help with the relief efforts in the aftermath of Katrina.  My idea is for corporate America to allow employees to donate the money from there vacation time.  In a time where the cost of living is increasing and the price of gas is going up many Americans can't afford to give money out of there weekly or monthly budgets.  What most Americans can afford is to take one or two less days of paid vacation.  When you think about how most average Americans are donating money you realize that many are using there credit cards, increasing the national credit debt.  But if we could give cash money that is provided by our employers as paid time off then American could donate cash helping the economy and minimizing the increase of credit card debt.  The company I work for employees more than 40,000 people and if the average hourly employee is making $10.00 an hour and each on donates one paid vacation day it would equal more than 3.2million dollars. 

This is an idea that I believe could change the way we donate money and raise funds in emergency situations that will also help keep Americans from going any further into debt with there credit cards. 

I read your idea the other day and thought it was brilliant.  Then I read my local newspaper and there was an article saying the federal government would give a deduction on any employee who wanted to work overtime or vacation time and donate it to the Katrina relief efforts.  As I understood the article then the exact amount of money would be exempt from being added to our earnings.  That way the total amount would be counted towards helping the hurricane fund.  My son got ill and is in the hospital and in all that commotion I don't know where I set that newpaper article down.  Maybe I can google it since it must be a major piece published.  I don't remember exactly how it was worded but what a wonderful idea you have.   

Dee   

September 12, 2005, 8:14 am CDT

I'm so glad.

I'm just so glad that there is still people out their, who are willing to help those who can't help themselves at this need of time. The ones who cry out the loudest is the ones that don't know what to do, or how to go about getting help. In the time of need it seems like we forget how to help others. I don't care what color we are. We all need help. In my life I know,know color. Color is what we were taught. God put us here all as one. And each and everyone of us need to help. Those we help will remember the help they received, and in return they will help us when we need it. I guess I will never understand why it took so long for help to get to these poor people.  A lot of these people didn't have to die. It is to bad we had to wait for someone to give permission to start the help.  I really didn't think any one was going to show up and help. Maybe I'm thinking wrong, but that is the way I feel.  Thank you for listning Pam

September 12, 2005, 8:16 am CDT

Hurricane Katrina

I too cannot imagine going through anything like what these people have.  To not know where my husband and 2 year old son is would be the worst nightmare of my life.  I also cannot imagine losing my dogs.  They are like my children and I would not leave unless I could take them with me. 

I commend Dr. Phil on his efforts to help so many people. 

This shows us too that material things are not important.  My husband and I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes worry how we will pay our bills however I always say how much better we have it than so many people because we have a roof over our heads, clothes on our bodies and food to eat. 

There are so many selfish people out there and personally they just make me sick -such as the person who posted about how Dr. Phil should have performed backround checks on the family he gave the condo too.  I think it was a horrible thing to say. 

May God Bless all of the Katrina survivors.  My prayers are with you everyday. 

September 12, 2005, 8:50 am CDT

Monetary donations for Katrina victims

I don't know if you are a Barry Manilow fan but even if you are not he is matchng dollar from dollar of donations given on his website www.manilowfund.com.  (So for example if you gave a donation of $10 it becomes $20 etc.)  So if you can't give as much as you would like here is an opportunity to double your contribution...You also have the opportunity to say what you want your donation to go to.  The first 48 hours they received donations and his fund matched the donations and he did too -- they made $150,000.  THen within 36 hours they raised another $150,000.  The last I heard the amount was raised was over $400,000.  Thank you.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last