Message Boards

Topic : 09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Number of Replies: 64
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:05:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil flies to Houston to join the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. He consoles victims desperately searching for loved ones, holds a town hall meeting for evacuees gripped with fear, and helps people who've lost everything prepare for the challenges ahead. Meet a family devastated by separation and be part of their joyful reunion. Plus, how does a nation in shock move forward after the worst natural disaster in its history? Share your thoughts and talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2005, 8:51 am CDT

Monetary donations for Katrina victims

I don't know if you are a Barry Manilow fan but even if you are not he is matching dollar from dollar of donations given on his website www.manilowfund.com.  (So for example if you gave a donation of $10 it becomes $20 etc.)  So if you can't give as much as you would like here is an opportunity to double your contribution...You also have the opportunity to say what you want your donation to go to.  The first 48 hours they received donations and his fund matched the donations and he did too -- they made $150,000.  THen within 36 hours they raised another $150,000.  The last I heard the amount was raised was over $400,000.  Thank you.

September 12, 2005, 9:08 am CDT

I just saw my video taped copy of the show...

and I look forward to today and tomorrow's show.  Dr. Phil is doing a great thing not only in what HE is doing but then by putting it on his show gets it out there for others to see and do something.  I went onto www.teamrescue.com and www.SPCA.org from his show.  I also found usual information on www.nsalmerica.org to help the hurrican pet victims.  ANd I found a website where you can donate teddybears, toys etc. to the child victims of Katrina.  It is called www.donate-a-teddy-bear.com.  When I can get my printer to work later today I will print flyers from the last two and I am going to go to the animal vets/hospitals etc. in my area and the ycma/carecares/schools in my area and ask to post the flyers as well as if they can implement them into schools for parents etc.  We'll see what happens but I wanna do something.  (I have given monetarily what I can which of course isn't as much as I would like to.  And I wanted to give blood but dr advised me against it since I have CFS.)   

September 12, 2005, 9:09 am CDT

Sorry for the double post -- I left and came back

and it wasn't here so I did it again....sorry.

September 12, 2005, 9:21 am CDT

I just heard back from SPCA in Texas...

and my monetary donation of this morning will definately go towards the animal rescue for the animal victims of Katrina and I was told that there is a board called www.petfinders.com for people that can't find their pets as well.  Hope this information helps. 

September 12, 2005, 10:17 am CDT

Katrina

I was reading on my group board today a story from a girl named Robin.    She about said it all.   The people who seem to be forgotten are those the Media choses to ignore.   They focus on those causing the problems, not those of strength and character.   So many are ignored, because the Media wants to focus on the ugly and sensational.  

September 12, 2005, 11:21 am CDT

Fight the ugliness of RACISM

I am a single mom and I want to help anyway that I can so that the survivors of Katrina can move towards a better life and so I must plea for help and prayers to break the spirit of RACISM off the people of Texas as well as America. I know that people dont want to believe or hear about the hard truth of the matter but it is going on. The survivors are being victomized all over again at our hands. Just yesturday we were in church service (we have housed many survivors in our church and homes aound town) and somebody or bodies left a wooden cross outside our church, the kind that the KKK burn on the lawns of those they want to send a message too. Then last week 2 children were dropped off on the side of the road by a school bus driver and at a different school 6 kids were arrested and taken to jail for changing seats. The many white kids said those children didnt do anything to be treated like that. One of the adults involved told the children that they didnt care if their home was blown away or not, they were in Alvin now and they would follow the rules. Makes me angry what do you think, and will you stand in the gap for these families in prayer, rebuking the enemy of racism? Thanks Tammy of Pasadena Texas

September 12, 2005, 11:42 am CDT

BRILLIANT IDEA!!!

Quote From: dustind

I have been think over the last week of another way for corporate America and Americans to come together to donate time and money to help with the relief efforts in the aftermath of Katrina.  My idea is for corporate America to allow employees to donate the money from there vacation time.  In a time where the cost of living is increasing and the price of gas is going up many Americans can't afford to give money out of there weekly or monthly budgets.  What most Americans can afford is to take one or two less days of paid vacation.  When you think about how most average Americans are donating money you realize that many are using there credit cards, increasing the national credit debt.  But if we could give cash money that is provided by our employers as paid time off then American could donate cash helping the economy and minimizing the increase of credit card debt.  The company I work for employees more than 40,000 people and if the average hourly employee is making $10.00 an hour and each on donates one paid vacation day it would equal more than 3.2million dollars. 

This is an idea that I believe could change the way we donate money and raise funds in emergency situations that will also help keep Americans from going any further into debt with there credit cards. 

It is wonderful to see creative ideas on donating money when one is unable to donate time to different efforts (location, perhaps).  After all, what a person gets with each pay cheque is often just enough for a family to get by each month, especially when you consider many families are single income families.  BUT vacation time is not generally included in one's planning for a weekly/monthly/yearly budget and generally won't be missed the way $50, $100, $1000 would.  I know for our family, a $1000 would definately break us for a month - but if hubby was working for another employer (he's self-employeed) NOT recieving a day's paid vacation day wouldn't even be noticed simply because one doesn't regard that in budgeting. 

Again...BRILLIANT!  It is an idea that would work here, as well (Canada) 

September 12, 2005, 5:34 pm CDT

understanding

I understand the devastation that can happen from a disaster. My family lived and survived through a F5 tornado, which destroyed everything they owned. My mother and I were the only ones who could clean up after they removed the bodies. I pray everyday that these families will be able to get through the most trying time of their lives. It is very hard to understand how this could happen to so many people. My hope, prayer, and wish is that we as neighbors and a nation will remember to keep on helping months to years from now. This will take a long time to be over with, and it will seem endless, but I promise that it will get better. You may think that I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about, but I do. Please don't give up, and keep going. Show all these people who doubt that you will survive and prosperTHAT YOU WILL LIVE AND THRIVE AGAIN. God Bless and know that I along with many others are behind you in prayer.  

Mary

Alabaster Alabama 

September 12, 2005, 5:39 pm CDT

09/08 Hurricane Katrina

Quote From: carrie1948

I was reading on my group board today a story from a girl named Robin.    She about said it all.   The people who seem to be forgotten are those the Media choses to ignore.   They focus on those causing the problems, not those of strength and character.   So many are ignored, because the Media wants to focus on the ugly and sensational.  

Very true, and it makes me sick to think that the media can get away with this. I know freedom of speech and all, but there should be a limit or something. 

September 12, 2005, 5:48 pm CDT

Dr. Phill I want to say thank you

Dr. Phil, thank you for showing us what a good job you are doing to help the people out who has be displaced by hurricane Katrina.  You are the first person who have not blamed anyone and called the race card and I respect you for that.  It is so hard for me to just sit and watch, I wish I could go there and help.  You are doing a good job and just wanted to tell you that you are so positive and it is helping me to cope.
I live in Hawaii and we can get a hurricane that size and if it hit the island of Oahu we will have lots of damages as most of the homes here are not all hurricane proofed. 
My prayer are with the people and I do hope they will get all the help they can.
I donated what I could to the victims and hope they can relocate until New Orleans are cleaned out and rebuild so they can go back home again.

Aloha

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last