Message Boards

Topic : 09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:39:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's coverage in the devastating wake of Hurricane Katrina continues. In Part 1, they’ve helped thousands of hurricane victims make their way to safety, but who is going to help the rescuers? Dr. Phil offers his advice to hurricane relief workers for coping with the horrors they’ve witnessed. Then in Part 2, see heartwarming reunions, and hear stories of tragedy and triumph as the city begins the slow process of rebuilding and recovery. Join the discussion.

Part 1 - Rescuing the Rescuers. 

Part 2 - Rebuilding Lives.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2005, 2:14 pm CDT

Praise & Prayer

Hi! I have been so touched by this Katrina! I want to just get up and go help NOW!!! But I have a stumbling block - I am on sick leave!!! I was on the Rescue Team for the FLOODS in California and worked in Shelters with my husband and the Red Cross! He was a cook and I was a Counselor! It is so difficult to sit at home and not be able to go to LA to help!!! I instead have started my own PRAYER JOUNAL!!! But I feel like I should be doing more DR PHIL!!! I had a realtive killed in the Oklahoma City Bombing and I can feel for these people!!! That is why I work as a rescuer!!! I am also on the Presidential Prayer Team!!  PTL!!!!  With Diverticulosis and Atridifibrilation  God still lets me serve HIM gladly!!! I even have controlled Epilepsy! I have been on sick leave since FEB 22 but I am not complaining because GOD is using me in many ways!!!! I just wish I was in GULFPORT and New ORLEANS praying and ministering!!!! 

Love in Christ, Debra 

September 12, 2005, 2:15 pm CDT

Praise & Prayer

Hi! I have been so touched by this Katrina! I want to just get up and go help NOW!!! But I have a stumbling block - I am on sick leave!!! I was on the Rescue Team for the FLOODS in California and worked in Shelters with my husband and the Red Cross! He was a cook and I was a Counselor! It is so difficult to sit at home and not be able to go to LA to help!!! I instead have started my own PRAYER JOUNAL!!! But I feel like I should be doing more DR PHIL!!! I had a realtive killed in the Oklahoma City Bombing and I can feel for these people!!! That is why I work as a rescuer!!! I am also on the Presidential Prayer Team!!  PTL!!!!  With Diverticulosis and Atridifibrilation  God still lets me serve HIM gladly!!! I even have controlled Epilepsy! I have been on sick leave since FEB 22 but I am not complaining because GOD is using me in many ways!!!! I just wish I was in GULFPORT and New ORLEANS praying and ministering!!!! 

Love in Christ, Debra 

September 12, 2005, 2:20 pm CDT

thank you

Thank-You Dr. Phil, So far your coverage has been great in showing us different views and people in need of emotional support. I sure hope families can find each other and reunite. I would be crazy not knowing where my children and Husband were sent. God Bless the rescue people and their families. God bless you too. 

September 12, 2005, 2:33 pm CDT

The Rescuers

Quote From: lab1012

Dear Dr Phil,  

It is so good to see you help out the police department. I have known many policeman and I know that there job is hard but nothing like that. I think it is great what you are doing for them. I only can hope that more people will see what you are doing and offer free help to the police to talk and get them and their family's through this and back on the feet. You are doing a great thing by helping them. I will be looking forward to see how it go's.  

I am a police officer in Georgia and have friends and collegues that have just returned from Louisiana.  They were there for 9 days helping with the effort there.  When I pulled into work this morning and saw the trailers and campers parked in the lot that they had taken down there I had a feeling of sadness and pride that they were home.  I have heard many stories from them of what they saw and felt when they were there.  The conditions were bad enough...but seeing the bodies, the animals, and the floating body of uniformed New Orleans Police Officer, I know, has traumatized my friends.  These guys will never be the same.

September 12, 2005, 2:41 pm CDT

New Orleans Will Survive

Dr Phil, 

Thank you for showing the positive side of the NOPD.  I think too much negative has been portrayed on  the police department via news.  They are true heroes!  You were so brave to have gone to the toughest streets of New Orleans with the SWAT team.   These are probably the toughest criminals in the nation.  I am very glad that ya'll did not run into the "bad guys"  because it would not have been safe for you.  Thank you for showing New Orleans as the city that will come back stronger.  Thank you for caring so much for our lovable city of New Orleans. 

Former New Orleans Area Resident 

September 12, 2005, 2:51 pm CDT

New Orleans Police Dept.

Dear Dr. Phil, 

Thank you so much for showing the segment with the police officers.  My husband has been a police officer for 14 years now.  As you know, most police officers see other officers as part of their family no matter what city of state they serve in.  My heart went out to all of these men and women.  I just wanted to hug each one of them and thank them for the job that they are doing. I wanted to let them know that I am proud of the job that they are doing!!   As a side note, we spent our honeymoon in New Orleans.  Is there anything that your "police family" in Lubbock, TX can do for any of the officers? Please let me know and I will do my best to make it happen.   Please know that each one of you are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you all!!  

September 12, 2005, 3:52 pm CDT

Prayers

I don't live in the US but I am shocked beyond belief that it took as long as it did for help to arrive for these people...I have read a couple of different opinions as to why this happened and really don't know what to think.  I'm thinking, "No way, that can't be!", when I read media coverage imply that it was a racial thing...but God knows in this day and age.  I'm not surprised by much anymore...shocked maybe but surprised.  I am also shocked that there aren't more people there right now...I mean I saw a news clip where reporters were on a boat going through getting pictures for the news and they commented that they couldn't believe there were no rescuers in that area...the houses they passed had people in them waiting to be rescued and no help in sight...and this is days after the hurricane...the reporters actually filled their boats with people to get them out...the US is the richest country in the world with one of the largest armies.  I am virtually speechless.  I just don't understand.  What the h*** is up with that anyway?!?!?!?!?!  I pray for the victims and the rescuers to be strengthened by eachother.

September 12, 2005, 4:42 pm CDT

research paper

I am a senior year college student(have  been working on this bachelors degree fro 25 years!) and will start the Ph.D program next year. I would like to do some work on the people/the rescuers of hurricanes. I had this idea last week and was glad to see you guys did something with it. 

I haven't been able to locate any peer-reviewed journal articles on this subject. Do you know of any published work? Is there any way I couldwork with you on this? 

Thank you for your time. 

September 12, 2005, 5:22 pm CDT

But who is Man's Best Friend's Friend?

On today's show (Monday, September 12th), while Dr.Phil was wading through the bacteria-ridden flood waters, three dogs were passed who were stranded on house tops. The rescuer's response to Dr. Phil's question about saving the animals brought a neutral acceptance from Dr.Phil.  

Inter-[expletive]-rogative?  

Whether the dogs will die or not is beside the point. I every reason to believe that I will be dead in another decade or two. The Rescuer will die. Dr. Phil will die. We all will.  

But to just abandon the poor dumb brutes because they will probably die? In a country where we pamper our pets? In fact, right after that segment on my local TV, a cute commercial aired about Kitty Litter. A show being paid for in part by pet-owners, no, pet-lovers, has the star not even appearing concerned?  

Something is woefully amiss here.  

September 12, 2005, 5:30 pm CDT

A Memorial

I was watching the reenactment of the World Trade Center Tragedy last night for 9/11.  I know we've seen it before, but it was sooooo overwhelming.  BUT one thing I saved from back then was a newspaper clipping of ALL of the victims names and a paragraph on each of them of their college education, their family life, their hobbies etc.  ONE BY ONE.  It was really a beautiful tribute and memorial.  I feel like I know many of them now because I took the time to read thru that newspaper.  This may be too soon to request this, but I think this would be a great Memorial idea to remember those also who died in Hurricaine Katrina. It also is so overwhelming and heartbreaking.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last