Message Boards

Topic : 09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:39:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's coverage in the devastating wake of Hurricane Katrina continues. In Part 1, they’ve helped thousands of hurricane victims make their way to safety, but who is going to help the rescuers? Dr. Phil offers his advice to hurricane relief workers for coping with the horrors they’ve witnessed. Then in Part 2, see heartwarming reunions, and hear stories of tragedy and triumph as the city begins the slow process of rebuilding and recovery. Join the discussion.

Part 1 - Rescuing the Rescuers. 

Part 2 - Rebuilding Lives.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 12, 2005, 6:01 pm CDT

09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Quote From: hekneauxs

Thank God for a President, and Dr. Phil, and others who not only believe in prayer, but WILL PRAY in public, and PRAY to the name of God, instead of just standing in a moment of SILENCE. I do not believe that silence is the same thing as prayer - I think that Christians have every right to pray, anytime and anywhere, and for the minority that is against EVERYONE praying, well, let THEM stand in a moment of SILENCE, instead of a moment of prayer, and they had better be hoping (in silence) that all those who are one day allowed to pray again, had better be praying for those who do not believe in it!!!
There is RIGHT and wrong, and that is what we all need to go by, and not by WHO is right, and who is wrong. I do not believe that anyone has the right, to take away prayer from all of those who believe in its power, and I pray that the power of those who are still praying, hopefully more now than every, can change our world - into a better world, instead of one that is headed in the direction of hatred, evil, and so much wrongdoing. AMEN!!!

I think Dr. Phil did a great job of showing how hard the rescue teams are working in New Orleans.  They are doing so at great personal sacrifice.  It would probably be much easier for them to bail and go to another city to find work.  But instead they choose to stay to help rescue those in need and to help restore order to the city.  They are truly angels. 

However I think it is a disgrace the way the citizens of New Orleans and the rescue workers and police were pretty much abandoned and left for dead during the first days after the hurricane.  I think the current administration added greatly to the tragedy by dragging its feet and doing nothing for days while people were dying waiting for water and food.  Now there seems to be an effort by the powers that be to put a positive spin on their response.  Bush can do a photo op and pray all he wants to, but what these people really need is action and relief.  Bush prays in public because the right wing conservatives eat that stuff up.  I do believe in prayer, but everything this man has done suggests to me that he could really care less about anything but the ultra rich.  If the current is so Pro Life, why didn't it care about the lives of the babies that were dying in the streets?  Actions speak louder than words. 

September 12, 2005, 6:47 pm CDT

Donating to the rescue personnel

I heard that Dr. Phil's show highlighted a fund that supports the rescue personnel who are not eligible for other support. Can anyone tell me what that might be and, if possible, a website? Thanks.

September 12, 2005, 7:03 pm CDT

A Katrina Survivor in Biloxi, Ms.

Hi, I'm a loyal Dr. Phil viewer and I wanted to send out a huge thank you to everyone for your prayers, concern, donations and especially to those who volunteered their time to come down here and help us to recover. It's been so heartwarming to meet people who traveled here and gave up their precious time and money to help us. I hope people will come back and see how beautiful it is down here once we rebuild. I'm sad to say a lot of our historical buildings were taken by Katrina.   

My husband and I with our 2 cats stayed with my mom for the storm,  just 1 block from the beach. We watched the surge come up the street and flood both of our cars and my mom's. A roll of tar paper busted in the front door, busted glass and water started to come in. I held a plant table to cover the window as the waves rolled up the street. My husband put screws in the door to keep it shut, mom's house got about 6 inches of water, minor roof damage and warped floors. We lost our house, went totally underwater. In fact, we have a 2 story apt bldg behind us that we rent, the water went 3 ft into the upstairs apt for a total of 14 ft!  We've been working for 2 weeks non-stop to get the mucky mud out and all the furniture, so much work and we're exhausted. We're living with my mom now, I'm glad we at least have somewhere to go, some do not.   

I'm an elementary school teacher and I've heard that many families have left the area. I'm sure this will the topic of discussion for quite some time.   

I heard an amazing story from a friend who swam out his attic, down the street to a seafood store where he held onto the roof for 7 1/2 hours! We're so glad the storm hit during the day and not at night, that would've been even more terrifying.
Anyway, thank you  for praying for us, it was a very long, intense 12 hour storm. Our historic Biloxi has so much destruction, it's so sad.
Debra

Biloxi, Ms.  

September 12, 2005, 8:31 pm CDT

Thank you Dr. Phil for this show.....

My husband is a SGT. with La State Police and he needed to see this show today too know his long hours are being acknowledged.  We live in Lake Charles, La and were about 4 hrs from New Orleans. Half of our Troop D rotates weekly or every two weeks for our troopers to help in New Orleans.  There are also Troopers in New Orleans that have lost their homes. When my husband is not in N.O. working his at the Troop, so we haven't (me and our two young sons) seen much of him since the hurricane hit.  He is doing the job he loves.  But it has come with a price.  He too is mentally and emotionally exhausted to see what's going on New Orleans.  He has working with other officers from all parts of the USA.  This is their call to duty and they are proud to be there, even if it means very long hours with no running water to shower with and sleeping on cots, and away from their families weeks at a time. 

Thank you for today's show and please have more like this one.  The police get such a bad rap most of the time. 

Today's show gave my husband a boost to caring on. 

Allison 

September 12, 2005, 10:25 pm CDT

melissanem great paper topic

Quote From: melissanem

I am a senior year college student(have  been working on this bachelors degree fro 25 years!) and will start the Ph.D program next year. I would like to do some work on the people/the rescuers of hurricanes. I had this idea last week and was glad to see you guys did something with it. 

I haven't been able to locate any peer-reviewed journal articles on this subject. Do you know of any published work? Is there any way I couldwork with you on this? 

Thank you for your time. 

Rather than look for your information on this actual heading "people/rescuers of hurricanes" maybe you should just look for the topics or subject of hurricanes or natural dissasters & see what information is given on the survivors with in the context of those journal articles or maybe you can get the names of particular hurricanes & go to articles on them.  I think 1 that was huge down in NO was named Carmel.  I might be spelling it incorrectly but this was of the same size of Katrina & I'd think there are articles on that one.  Good luck with the paper & congrats to you on sticking with your education.   

September 12, 2005, 11:25 pm CDT

09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

I really enjoyed watching the special today. It is so wonderful to see police and other emergency workers get the accolades that they deserve. Those of us who watch from the comfort of our homes really have no inkling of the real horror: the smells, the sounds, the emotion.  What would we do without these brave, hardworking men and women? Thank you for reminding us of the job that they do, and how much we should appreciate them.   

M.T. British Columbia, Canada  

September 13, 2005, 5:42 am CDT

Research

Quote From: melissanem

I am a senior year college student(have  been working on this bachelors degree fro 25 years!) and will start the Ph.D program next year. I would like to do some work on the people/the rescuers of hurricanes. I had this idea last week and was glad to see you guys did something with it. 

I haven't been able to locate any peer-reviewed journal articles on this subject. Do you know of any published work? Is there any way I couldwork with you on this? 

Thank you for your time. 

If you're serious about doing research, you need to familiarize yourself with some key research databases.  If you are unfamiliar with them now, you'll need to get there if you're going to get into any PhD program.  Here's a start -- try the Inter-University Consortium on Political and Social Research database at www.icpsr.umich.edu 

September 13, 2005, 6:10 am CDT

YOU CAN ONLY FEEL SO BAD FOR SOME OF THESE PEOPLE

HI I DON'T WANT TO SOUND MEAN OR ANYTHING BUT I AM A FIREFIGHTER / PARAMEDIC AND LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MY JOB,E ESPECIALLY HELPING OTHER PEOPLE BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT AFTER SEEING ALL OF THIS AWFUL SITUATION IT REALLY MAKES ME THINK. I AM BY NO MEANS ONE TO TALK ABOUT THE LESS FORTUNATE PEOPLE AND I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT SITUATIONS IN ALL OF THEM BUT REALITY IS ,THIS IS A WELFARE CITY AND THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T LEAVE ARE MOSTLY WELFARE RECIPIENTS THEY ARE USED TO THE GOVERNMENT DOING EVERYTHING FOR THEM, THEY ARE NOW BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT FOR NOT HELPING THEM SOON ENOUGH. I FIGURE THE POOR BUSINESS OWNERS WHO STAYED TO TRY TO KEEP THERE LIVELY HOOD HAD EVERY REASON TO TRY TO STICK THIS STORM OUT, BUT THE OTHERS SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR OTHERS TO DO FOR THEM, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A COUNTRY OF SELF MOTIVATED PEOPLE AND WE HAVE LET SO MANY DEPEND ON OTHERS AND THEN PUT THE BLAME ON THE GOVERNMENT GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING FOR YOUR SELF FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE. WE WILL ALL COME TO THERE NEEDS NOW BUT I SURE HOPE THEY TAKE SOMETHING AWAY FROM THIS WE ALL LOVE TO HELP OTHERS IT MAKES US FEEL GOOD BUT SOMETIMES I THINK WE CREATE OUR OWN MESS . BY THE WAY I HAVE DONATED TIME AND MONEY FOR THEM AND HELPED IN OUR OWN TOWN I STILL LOVE THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE AMERICANS AND JUST WANT PEOPLE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM SELVES EVEN IF WE HAVE TO HELP LITTLE. PS GOD BLESS ALL OF THE EMERGENCY WORKER THERE AND THEIR FAMILY'S I LOVE YOU ALL.

September 13, 2005, 6:39 am CDT

Allison I agree

Quote From: arsavoy

My husband is a SGT. with La State Police and he needed to see this show today too know his long hours are being acknowledged.  We live in Lake Charles, La and were about 4 hrs from New Orleans. Half of our Troop D rotates weekly or every two weeks for our troopers to help in New Orleans.  There are also Troopers in New Orleans that have lost their homes. When my husband is not in N.O. working his at the Troop, so we haven't (me and our two young sons) seen much of him since the hurricane hit.  He is doing the job he loves.  But it has come with a price.  He too is mentally and emotionally exhausted to see what's going on New Orleans.  He has working with other officers from all parts of the USA.  This is their call to duty and they are proud to be there, even if it means very long hours with no running water to shower with and sleeping on cots, and away from their families weeks at a time. 

Thank you for today's show and please have more like this one.  The police get such a bad rap most of the time. 

Today's show gave my husband a boost to caring on. 

Allison 

Police do get a bad rap very often and I have to say that in my life police officers have done nothing but help & come to my aid when I needed them.  We often hear of the corrupt & so of course that's what everyone takes away that cops are corrupt etc.  I'm in the NYC/NJ area & the images of the crisis really does strike a cord with us.  There are many law enforcement officers as well as fire fighters & utility workers who ran to be part of the call to aid down there.  We remember well how people from down there came to our aid & yes you're right they are all proud to be able to return help.  People here were really touched by the out pouring during & after 9/11 & it had created such a feeling of unity that when this hurricane hit & there was a call for those up here it was like people up here couldn't help &/or get there fast enough.   

I'm glad to hear your husband found some inspiration in the show today & please relay that many are watching, know what a cop really risks & sacrafises & we're SO grateful to them all!  You're all in our thoughts & prayers.  

September 13, 2005, 6:52 am CDT

Give what you heart can give

I hear so many people say I would like to help but i don't have the money.   

Well how many times do you go and buy a coffee or go out to eat. If you took the money you spent on a coffee and went and gave it to the Red Cross or some other organisation that is helping with the Releife that would help out just as much. Its not how much money you give But how it is given.  

its not emportant to try and match what others are giving but to reach inside your heart and give what you can give. A $1.00 can do just as much as $100.00 if eveyone in a city of 30,000 gave a dollar thats $30,000  so see it does make a differnts . Give what your heart can give   

thank you Wayne  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last