Message Boards

Topic : 09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:39:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's coverage in the devastating wake of Hurricane Katrina continues. In Part 1, they’ve helped thousands of hurricane victims make their way to safety, but who is going to help the rescuers? Dr. Phil offers his advice to hurricane relief workers for coping with the horrors they’ve witnessed. Then in Part 2, see heartwarming reunions, and hear stories of tragedy and triumph as the city begins the slow process of rebuilding and recovery. Join the discussion.

Part 1 - Rescuing the Rescuers. 

Part 2 - Rebuilding Lives.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 13, 2005, 7:00 am CDT

hekneauxs why is this directed at me?

Quote From: hekneauxs

Thank God for a President, and Dr. Phil, and others who not only believe in prayer, but WILL PRAY in public, and PRAY to the name of God, instead of just standing in a moment of SILENCE. I do not believe that silence is the same thing as prayer - I think that Christians have every right to pray, anytime and anywhere, and for the minority that is against EVERYONE praying, well, let THEM stand in a moment of SILENCE, instead of a moment of prayer, and they had better be hoping (in silence) that all those who are one day allowed to pray again, had better be praying for those who do not believe in it!!!
There is RIGHT and wrong, and that is what we all need to go by, and not by WHO is right, and who is wrong. I do not believe that anyone has the right, to take away prayer from all of those who believe in its power, and I pray that the power of those who are still praying, hopefully more now than every, can change our world - into a better world, instead of one that is headed in the direction of hatred, evil, and so much wrongdoing. AMEN!!!

Where did I say in my post that I do not believe in prayer?  Where did it say that I don't believe in prayer in public & that I think it should be a moment of silence instead?  Where did I say that I don't believe in the power of prayer.  You're putting words in my mouth & you don't even know me.  In fact I think you meant to direct this post at the person I was answering and I think in her post she'd made a statment & she's left out a word.  I believe she said "the power of prayer never amazes me" & I believe she MEANT "the power of prayer never CEASES to amaze me".  Because I believe she was mentioning using prayer as a first defense for depression.  I agreed with her and I STILL do.  I went on to mention what helps me with my SAD or my seasonal disorder.     

It sounds to me like it's YOU that's filled with anger & hate & perhaps you should be praying for yourself for understanding, kindness & some empathy for your fellow man.  This is a time of crisis and having empathy to me would mean cutting people some slack right now when they make a typo on a bulliten board & not using it as a platform for your political &/or religious beliefs.     

September 13, 2005, 7:56 am CDT

New Orleans PD Support

I'd like some information on where/how to give DIRECTLY to the Police Department of this city and surrounding cities.  My husband is a police office in Texas, so after yesterday's show I really felt like I needed to give back.  Any information would be appreciated.  God Bless.

September 13, 2005, 9:24 am CDT

09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Quote From: mbbozz

HI I DON'T WANT TO SOUND MEAN OR ANYTHING BUT I AM A FIREFIGHTER / PARAMEDIC AND LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MY JOB,E ESPECIALLY HELPING OTHER PEOPLE BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT AFTER SEEING ALL OF THIS AWFUL SITUATION IT REALLY MAKES ME THINK. I AM BY NO MEANS ONE TO TALK ABOUT THE LESS FORTUNATE PEOPLE AND I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT SITUATIONS IN ALL OF THEM BUT REALITY IS ,THIS IS A WELFARE CITY AND THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T LEAVE ARE MOSTLY WELFARE RECIPIENTS THEY ARE USED TO THE GOVERNMENT DOING EVERYTHING FOR THEM, THEY ARE NOW BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT FOR NOT HELPING THEM SOON ENOUGH. I FIGURE THE POOR BUSINESS OWNERS WHO STAYED TO TRY TO KEEP THERE LIVELY HOOD HAD EVERY REASON TO TRY TO STICK THIS STORM OUT, BUT THE OTHERS SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR OTHERS TO DO FOR THEM, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A COUNTRY OF SELF MOTIVATED PEOPLE AND WE HAVE LET SO MANY DEPEND ON OTHERS AND THEN PUT THE BLAME ON THE GOVERNMENT GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING FOR YOUR SELF FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE. WE WILL ALL COME TO THERE NEEDS NOW BUT I SURE HOPE THEY TAKE SOMETHING AWAY FROM THIS WE ALL LOVE TO HELP OTHERS IT MAKES US FEEL GOOD BUT SOMETIMES I THINK WE CREATE OUR OWN MESS . BY THE WAY I HAVE DONATED TIME AND MONEY FOR THEM AND HELPED IN OUR OWN TOWN I STILL LOVE THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE AMERICANS AND JUST WANT PEOPLE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM SELVES EVEN IF WE HAVE TO HELP LITTLE. PS GOD BLESS ALL OF THE EMERGENCY WORKER THERE AND THEIR FAMILY'S I LOVE YOU ALL.
I live in Houston and have been working with the storm survivors at the Astrodome since they arrived in the city last week.  Yes, most of the people who were evacuated to our city are lower income, but very few of them are welfare recipients.  They are teachers, longshoremen, restaurant workers, laborers, domestic workers - most of them working taxpayers like you and me.  Many of them have already found jobs in our city, and job fairs going on in the city have been swamped.  Most of their children have been enrolled in school here, with many of the teachers who evacuated here working with our districts to help teach the additional students.  Many of the people who were forced to stay had no transportation to leave the city, or funds to pay for hotel accommodations for their families for a long period of time.   Many had elderly or sick relatives who were unable to be moved safely in an evacuation.  I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and after summer after summer of hurricane threats, many people take their chances on the storm changing directions, rather than going through the time and expense of an evacuation.  This storm did move off the projected path, and the folks who stayed in New Orleans would have been okay had the levees held.  The people in Mississippi are the ones who seem to be forgotten - and they're the ones who got the full impact of this storm when it changed directions before heading ashore.  I know the people who have been hurt by this horrible disaster appreciate the time and money you've given to help them, but until we've been in their shoes, we really can't point fingers at who we think hasn't taken responsiblity for their own safety and security.

September 13, 2005, 9:28 am CDT

Exactly

Quote From: mbbozz

HI I DON'T WANT TO SOUND MEAN OR ANYTHING BUT I AM A FIREFIGHTER / PARAMEDIC AND LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MY JOB,E ESPECIALLY HELPING OTHER PEOPLE BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT AFTER SEEING ALL OF THIS AWFUL SITUATION IT REALLY MAKES ME THINK. I AM BY NO MEANS ONE TO TALK ABOUT THE LESS FORTUNATE PEOPLE AND I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT SITUATIONS IN ALL OF THEM BUT REALITY IS ,THIS IS A WELFARE CITY AND THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T LEAVE ARE MOSTLY WELFARE RECIPIENTS THEY ARE USED TO THE GOVERNMENT DOING EVERYTHING FOR THEM, THEY ARE NOW BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT FOR NOT HELPING THEM SOON ENOUGH. I FIGURE THE POOR BUSINESS OWNERS WHO STAYED TO TRY TO KEEP THERE LIVELY HOOD HAD EVERY REASON TO TRY TO STICK THIS STORM OUT, BUT THE OTHERS SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR OTHERS TO DO FOR THEM, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A COUNTRY OF SELF MOTIVATED PEOPLE AND WE HAVE LET SO MANY DEPEND ON OTHERS AND THEN PUT THE BLAME ON THE GOVERNMENT GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING FOR YOUR SELF FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE. WE WILL ALL COME TO THERE NEEDS NOW BUT I SURE HOPE THEY TAKE SOMETHING AWAY FROM THIS WE ALL LOVE TO HELP OTHERS IT MAKES US FEEL GOOD BUT SOMETIMES I THINK WE CREATE OUR OWN MESS . BY THE WAY I HAVE DONATED TIME AND MONEY FOR THEM AND HELPED IN OUR OWN TOWN I STILL LOVE THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE AMERICANS AND JUST WANT PEOPLE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM SELVES EVEN IF WE HAVE TO HELP LITTLE. PS GOD BLESS ALL OF THE EMERGENCY WORKER THERE AND THEIR FAMILY'S I LOVE YOU ALL.

This is exactly what I've been saying, but people seem to take it as prejudice or something.  There are people who are poor through no fault of there own and then there are people who are just plain lazy and want someone else to take care of them.  So many of these people don't know how to fend for themselves and they blame the government for not taking care of them BETTER!  I don't see it as the government's fault.  

I keep wondering why there wasn't a plan for this kind of disaster.  They knew the potential, they knew many of the people didn't have the car or money to leave the area in a hurry.  They should have had a plan, just like we do Fire Drills.  

September 13, 2005, 9:44 am CDT

I don't agree

Quote From: myrnamau

I think Dr. Phil did a great job of showing how hard the rescue teams are working in New Orleans.  They are doing so at great personal sacrifice.  It would probably be much easier for them to bail and go to another city to find work.  But instead they choose to stay to help rescue those in need and to help restore order to the city.  They are truly angels. 

However I think it is a disgrace the way the citizens of New Orleans and the rescue workers and police were pretty much abandoned and left for dead during the first days after the hurricane.  I think the current administration added greatly to the tragedy by dragging its feet and doing nothing for days while people were dying waiting for water and food.  Now there seems to be an effort by the powers that be to put a positive spin on their response.  Bush can do a photo op and pray all he wants to, but what these people really need is action and relief.  Bush prays in public because the right wing conservatives eat that stuff up.  I do believe in prayer, but everything this man has done suggests to me that he could really care less about anything but the ultra rich.  If the current is so Pro Life, why didn't it care about the lives of the babies that were dying in the streets?  Actions speak louder than words. 

It's easy for people to sit back and expect others to take care of them.  Then if it doesn't happen, they have someone else to blame.  People should have evacuated the area when told to and the local government should have had a plan for those who were too poor to leave of their own accord.  The Mayor was shown telling each family to have a plan for such a disaster, but evidently the people didn't. 

I don't see this as the Presidents fault.  I think the problem that followed the days immediately after were due to the people themselves and the local government that should have had a plan and carried it out. 

ie.  We are told to wear seatbelts.  It's the law.  So when we're involved in an accident and someone thrown from the car and killed, is it the fault of the car that hit them, the fault of the car maker, the fault of the parent?  We're each responsible to a certain extent for ourselves and our family.  Stop blaming the President for everything! 

September 13, 2005, 10:22 am CDT

I'm sick of people blaming Bush

Quote From: myrnamau

I think Dr. Phil did a great job of showing how hard the rescue teams are working in New Orleans.  They are doing so at great personal sacrifice.  It would probably be much easier for them to bail and go to another city to find work.  But instead they choose to stay to help rescue those in need and to help restore order to the city.  They are truly angels. 

However I think it is a disgrace the way the citizens of New Orleans and the rescue workers and police were pretty much abandoned and left for dead during the first days after the hurricane.  I think the current administration added greatly to the tragedy by dragging its feet and doing nothing for days while people were dying waiting for water and food.  Now there seems to be an effort by the powers that be to put a positive spin on their response.  Bush can do a photo op and pray all he wants to, but what these people really need is action and relief.  Bush prays in public because the right wing conservatives eat that stuff up.  I do believe in prayer, but everything this man has done suggests to me that he could really care less about anything but the ultra rich.  If the current is so Pro Life, why didn't it care about the lives of the babies that were dying in the streets?  Actions speak louder than words. 

How could you possibly know what Bush has done for this situation.  You are clearly a democrat and choose to blame this entire situation on Bush.  You know Clinton knew about the Levees to and did NOTHING about it!!  I just think it is terrible that people like you are blaming Bush for this situation.  Do you realize this is the worst natural disaster the USA has ever had to deal with???  He is doing what he can, I believe.  I just think it so frustrating when people are putting all the blame on ONE person.  Come on, be realistic.  I truly believe everyone is doing everything possible for everyone effected.  You can't possibly know what he has or has not done to help the victims.  So unless you work with Bush and know exactly what he has or has not done, it's best not to blame him.  It's the worst disaster we have ever had to handle.  I think he is doing everything he possibly can to help out.  Yea, all he cares about is photo ops???  He doesn't care about the dying babies in the streets???  I think you are only saying such terrible things b/c you didn't vote for him.  I would truly hope you wouldn't think our President, regardless of whether or not you voted for him, is just sitting on his ass only caring about the ultra rich. That is so terrible to say.  Not only one person can fix this, the whole world needs to stand together.  Pointing blame on one person, Come on!!!  AGAIN, you have NO idea what the president has done or has not done.  But no president, republican or democrat would just let babies die in the streets.  Why don't you try and put your polical issues aside and believe in humanity.  Your entire post was political.  How can you think anyone would just sit there and let people die and only care about the ultra rich.  You are only saying such things b/c of your political views. And that is terrible.

September 13, 2005, 10:45 am CDT

09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Quote From: sundeigo

The government will take all those houses!!!!! What do you call it? Inmenint domain, sorry about the spelling. The poorest of the poor will not go back to a house in New Orleans, let alone their own. The government is recieving all kinds of help for the disaster but believe me it will not go to the victims 4 sure. They sat on their asses and let those levey's break while Bush was on vacation out here in SUN DIEGO he caused a jam on our freeways i should know. New Orleans was already under water and what did our president do, eat cake. He has his friends with no credentials to even be the fema director. I guess it's all about who you know and how much money you have. You would think in today's world nobody in America would go hungry nor go without but they do and that must be changed, take care of America first then the world. I am appauled at the goverment, I feel a civil war is going to take place, I feel the people have had enough. Finally the press and TV are talking about him in a way i have never heard before a big WOW!!! Freedom of speach is here finally. Those people will never get there houses back and the rich will get richer and own New Orleans. Politics, hey, just watch what happens, all keep your eyes and ears open. THE GOVERNMENT SUCKS! SO DOES BUSH! Go to http://michaelmoore.com/ get the real news on our government the truth as i see it. Prayer if also welcome 4 those who pray. Go to Moores's site and see 4 yourself. 

First off, Bush was in TEXAS!!! It was not his fault the levies broke. It was not his fault that the MAYOR AND GOVENOR of NOand La DID NOT utilize the buses they had available to get people out of NO. And you're right on one account, the Government might take those houses and knock them down. But think of what is now going on there. Would YOU want to live in a house that has been contaiminated by raw sewage, decomposing bodies, and heaven knows what else? Would you want people going back to that??? Persoanlly, I'd rather see them moved somewhere they can start over and not have to worry about disease, getting raped or murdered. Yes, FEMA and other agencies responses were slow, yes I agree they should have responded faster, had a better plan in place. But to Blame Pres. Bush for something he can't control, that's pure lunacy! Why not blame me, your mom or dad for it? Maybe someone should have been standing on the shores of La, AL, and Miss. and told Katrina to turn away? Maybe we should let all those poor people go back to their contaiminated homes. Would that make you any happier? To let people die of infection form contamination? No then you'd be on here talking about how the government was remiss in their duties there too. You are sad person who has nothing more to do than complain about what's going on and doesn't want to do anything about it. I as a former member of the military, and as a military wife feel sorry for you. Hope you find some peace in you're sorry life. 

September 13, 2005, 11:07 am CDT

Dont worry We are going to get them all

Quote From: popeyenyc

On today's show (Monday, September 12th), while Dr.Phil was wading through the bacteria-ridden flood waters, three dogs were passed who were stranded on house tops. The rescuer's response to Dr. Phil's question about saving the animals brought a neutral acceptance from Dr.Phil.  

Inter-[expletive-rogative?  

Whether the dogs will die or not is beside the point. I every reason to believe that I will be dead in another decade or two. The Rescuer will die. Dr. Phil will die. We all will.  

But to just abandon the poor dumb brutes because they will probably die? In a country where we pamper our pets? In fact, right after that segment on my local TV, a cute commercial aired about Kitty Litter. A show being paid for in part by pet-owners, no, pet-lovers, has the star not even appearing concerned?  

Something is woefully amiss here.  

I am with a group that is in Louisiana and have rescued over three thousand animals as of sunday 9/11, Here is the breakdown: 

Confirmed Totals to Date: 3815

Dogs and Cats             2529                        
  • Horses: 121

• Other Animals: 1165 birds, hamsters, some wildlife...etc.

I am leaving again tonight for a 9 hour drive and then will work non stop with twenty five others through saturday night and then will come home, it is amazing how much we love the animals. The people were told they could not bring there animals, next time,,,, just bring them and they will have to figure out something. I wont stop going back until they are all safe.  

Cynthia  Dallas  

September 13, 2005, 11:18 am CDT

Thank YOU!!!

Quote From: jtfjmjr

First off, Bush was in TEXAS!!! It was not his fault the levies broke. It was not his fault that the MAYOR AND GOVENOR of NOand La DID NOT utilize the buses they had available to get people out of NO. And you're right on one account, the Government might take those houses and knock them down. But think of what is now going on there. Would YOU want to live in a house that has been contaiminated by raw sewage, decomposing bodies, and heaven knows what else? Would you want people going back to that??? Persoanlly, I'd rather see them moved somewhere they can start over and not have to worry about disease, getting raped or murdered. Yes, FEMA and other agencies responses were slow, yes I agree they should have responded faster, had a better plan in place. But to Blame Pres. Bush for something he can't control, that's pure lunacy! Why not blame me, your mom or dad for it? Maybe someone should have been standing on the shores of La, AL, and Miss. and told Katrina to turn away? Maybe we should let all those poor people go back to their contaiminated homes. Would that make you any happier? To let people die of infection form contamination? No then you'd be on here talking about how the government was remiss in their duties there too. You are sad person who has nothing more to do than complain about what's going on and doesn't want to do anything about it. I as a former member of the military, and as a military wife feel sorry for you. Hope you find some peace in you're sorry life. 

Thank you for your responce.  I am so tired of people like the one you replied to blaming Bush.  Give me a break.  Sorry life, you are soooo right about that!!!  I think right now the world needsd to be focusing on what we can do to fix this situation.  Not pointing blame at the President. Thanks again!!

September 13, 2005, 12:11 pm CDT

What stupid people there are!!!

Quote From: jtfjmjr

To blame Bush for the Levees breaking is like blaming the russians, The storm broke the ill maintained levees, there were warnings forty years ago about this and every year since. They just got caught being human, thinking it wouldnt really happen to them. Well it did, lets all stop playing the blame game and look how good the people are that have stopped everything to go and help, those that have sent money they didnt have and those who are helping in ways YOU will never hear about. Get over it, it is an act of nature, nobody is to blame for the storm, the guy that should be taken to task for a lack of planning is the city manager and the mayor and the governer of Louisiana all different colors. This IS NOT A RACE THING PEOPLE, IT IS A STORM THING!  Most of the people in Louisiana are soooo not racist. They are great people.  There is always going to be those who screw it up for others by stealing and vandelizing. Why do we allow it??? There were more good people than the bad ones... why do we let them get away with it???

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last