Message Boards

Topic : 09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:39:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's coverage in the devastating wake of Hurricane Katrina continues. In Part 1, they’ve helped thousands of hurricane victims make their way to safety, but who is going to help the rescuers? Dr. Phil offers his advice to hurricane relief workers for coping with the horrors they’ve witnessed. Then in Part 2, see heartwarming reunions, and hear stories of tragedy and triumph as the city begins the slow process of rebuilding and recovery. Join the discussion.

Part 1 - Rescuing the Rescuers. 

Part 2 - Rebuilding Lives.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 13, 2005, 12:25 pm CDT

a temporary home for some of the people

My husband and I live in New Jersey. There are no open shelters here for people to go to from Hurricane Katrina. We and a few of our family and friends would like to open our homes for some people. We are looking for a couple with one child willing to get out and work. I own a retail store and would be able to help them by giving them a part time job for the holiday season. 

So...basically we need someone with retail experience...and a willingness to work and share a household. 

If you know of someone let me know. 

Arlene & Tom 

September 13, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

Bridge Blocked Controversy

On CNN this was aired today September 13. You can watch it on www.cnn.com . Scroll down to the cnntv and click. There is live coverage of what aired on that page. Click to watch the interviews. 

*Bridge blocked controversy    

Some New Orleans evacuees claim they were turned back by gunfire as they tried to evacuate into Gretna, Louisiana. CNN's Anderson Cooper reports (September 13)*  

Two of the New Orleans evacuees spoke with Anderson Cooper telling of the Gretna Louisiana police shooting over the heads of the New Orleans evacuees and pointing guns directly at them.  

The Gretna Louisiana police pointed their guns DIRECTLY INTO THE FACES OF SMALL CHILDREN! The Gretna Louisiana police took water and food from the New Orleans evacuees!  

I am worried about the ADDED horror and fear these small children faced at the hands of the Gretna, Louisiana police and the LIFE LONG effects it will have on them.   

Please do not tell me that "children will always get over the bad things that happens them".  

If that were true then how could you explain bedwetters who do not have a medical reason for bedwetting? How could you explain the ACTING OUT that children do after trama?  

I am worried about the children. I am also worried about the elderly who were treated so badly by the Gretna Louisiana police. I am also worried about the sick who were treated so badly by the Gretna Louisiana Police. I am also worried about the families who were treated so badly by the Gretna Louisiana Police.  

For the New Orleans evacuees to have ONE TRAMA complicated with another VIOLENT TRAMA on top of it is UNAMERICAN and INHUMANE.  

September 13, 2005, 1:29 pm CDT

distressed and don't know what to do!

My home is in Bay St. Louis in Mississippi. Our house is still standing but the tidal surge rouined everything, including all the walls so the house has to be gutted and rebuilt. My insurance company told us that we did not need flood insurance when we bought the house and told me that they would not cover because the damage was from water and not wind. My daughter and her husband and four children have been living in the house as I have been sick and living with my sister in Jackson. In 2003 my home in Pascagoula caught fire in the middle of the night and we lost everything. One of my daughters and her son lived with me at the time. My daughter had just returned from drug and alcohol treatment at the time and we lost everything. My husband left me several months later. I was getting back on my feet after all of that and bought my house in Oct. 2004 and we just lost everything again. I had my gallbladder removed in March and have had complications since, so I am out of work and temporarily disabled. The President stated that we would be declared a disaster area and damage from hurricaine. Senator Trent Lott and Congressman Gene Taylor also lost their houses and from what I understand, they didn't have flood insurance either. We should be taken care of instead of turned away. I have four babies living with me at my sisters house who wonder why they can't go home. Our government talks about all the money coming in and all the help available and our insurance will not even cover our losses.  

Thanks Dr. Phil, I just needed to vent. 

September 13, 2005, 1:35 pm CDT

The President

I can't believe people are actually commenting on the social status of evacuees...or that President Clinton knew and didn't do anything so why should Bush?  etc... What a load of c*ap! 

The president is responsible for the person who is responsible for the person who is responsible etc. for being prepared for this occurance and protecting their own...regardless of their income...that's why he's president.   These people are human beings first...and how much money they have or wether they work or not is irrelevant...the truth is, every one is on a level playing field now and true colors are going to shine.   

As for Bush...he talks a lot but he doesn't say much.  Someone should cut him and see if he bleeds, or if springs and wires pop out.  Maybe he only has one program installed...war.  Every time I hear him speak I wait for him to start skipping. 

September 13, 2005, 1:40 pm CDT

Dr Phil

I watched todays show and I am so moved in all you and others are doing to help these families start their lives over.  

Dr Phil you are the sunshine in all these peoples lives right now!!! 

September 13, 2005, 1:48 pm CDT

Bush's statement

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability in all levels of government…to the extent that the federal government didn’t fully do it’s job right, I take full responsibilit…bilit….bilit….bilit…bilit….yeah…bill it…bill the state of New Orleans…we’ll call it the Katrina taxation program…we’ll use the money to send more soldiers to Iraq." 

September 13, 2005, 1:52 pm CDT

whoops

Quote From: srndpty333

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability in all levels of government…to the extent that the federal government didn’t fully do it’s job right, I take full responsibilit…bilit….bilit….bilit…bilit….yeah…bill it…bill the state of New Orleans…we’ll call it the Katrina taxation program…we’ll use the money to send more soldiers to Iraq." 

I mean city...  I got all carried away in my sarcasm...garsh.

September 13, 2005, 2:43 pm CDT

Today's show

Quote From: laddyclark

Thank you for your responce.  I am so tired of people like the one you replied to blaming Bush.  Give me a break.  Sorry life, you are soooo right about that!!!  I think right now the world needsd to be focusing on what we can do to fix this situation.  Not pointing blame at the President. Thanks again!!
I just wanted to say thank you for not wanting to continue blaming the President.  I live in Galveston, TX and have come in contact with a lot of evacuees from New Orleans.  However, I must disagree with some of the things that have been said.  First of all these people are not blaming President Bush or Mayor Ray Nagin.  The one person they are blaming first and foremost if Governor Blanco for not doing her job and making sure the supplies were sent in sooner.  I was born and raised in Louisiana, and this is the first time there has been a woman in the Governor's chair, and she has proven she can't handle it.   THE SUPPLIES WERE THERE FOR HER TO HAND OUT AND SHE REFUSED TO DO SO!!!!  They had plenty of opportunities to get the sick, elderly and those without transportation out of the city before Katrina hit, and she said no to the National Guard helping get those people out.  President Bush even had to step in, only after he realized she wasn't using the Federal help, and ask her to take it and she still refused.  Mayor Nagin went on public radio during an interview and said that the Governor as well as FEMA needed to get off their a***s and send them some g__ d___ help.  To everyone who has only viewed this on t.v. it may seem like the people and residents of New Orleans are just complaining about not having any help.  The truth is, in the beginning there was no help, but it did come and has come.  There were enough children that registered at my daughter's school that they are now having to turn kids to other schools in the area.  If you were to talk to anyone staying in the Astrodome or any of the shelters, they are going to tell you they are happy to be alive.  Also, if you read any newspaper in either Houston or in any surrounding area, you will see that the evacuees are finding housing, jobs and a way to get around so they can begin putting their lives back to normal.  They aren't sitting around feeling sorry for themselves and the situation they were put in.  When you live on a Gulf Coast city you are well aware of the troubles that come when hurricanes are in your area...you take precautions.  But as the family said on today's show, and as someone else has commented on here, you don't think it is going to be a long evacuation so you don't pack much, and then you also aren't able to afford to stay gone for long periods of time.   I think before anyone starts complaining about what President Bush either did or didn't do, they need to take a look at Governor Blanco's performance during this bad time. 

September 13, 2005, 2:43 pm CDT

Thank You

September 13, 2005, 3:26 pm CDT

"That's tough to see?"

I appreciate that Dr. Phil spoke to the people in the trenches so-to-speak and not just governement bureaucrats.  He does wonderful things and I thank his staff for that.   
I must say that I was ever so disappointed that Dr. Phil didn't extend himself in his usual mountain moving manner for the stranded dogs who he passed.  They were given a lukewarm: "that's tough to see".  I'm so sorry.   

Thanks for reading, doguardian  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last