Message Boards

Topic : 09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:39:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's coverage in the devastating wake of Hurricane Katrina continues. In Part 1, they’ve helped thousands of hurricane victims make their way to safety, but who is going to help the rescuers? Dr. Phil offers his advice to hurricane relief workers for coping with the horrors they’ve witnessed. Then in Part 2, see heartwarming reunions, and hear stories of tragedy and triumph as the city begins the slow process of rebuilding and recovery. Join the discussion.

Part 1 - Rescuing the Rescuers. 

Part 2 - Rebuilding Lives.

Share your thoughts and prayers for the victims on the Hurricane Katrina Support message board.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2005, 10:35 pm CDT

katrina

Dear Dr. Phil, 

I find myself very depressed by this terrible tragity. I have suffered from depression for years and am on medication for it but latley it dosent seem to be enough. I sleep most of the day and feel guilty that i am unable to do much due to my financial situation. It is like watching a train wreck, you cant turn your eyes away but you dont want to watch bacause you know how it is effecting you. I feel especially hlepless when i see small infants in this situation. What would you advise me and others like me, i am sure I am not the only one..(if i am..help!) to do. 

Yours Truly, 

Bonnie, 

Michigan 

September 10, 2005, 9:17 am CDT

Bonnie

Quote From: bjk100

Dear Dr. Phil, 

I find myself very depressed by this terrible tragity. I have suffered from depression for years and am on medication for it but latley it dosent seem to be enough. I sleep most of the day and feel guilty that i am unable to do much due to my financial situation. It is like watching a train wreck, you cant turn your eyes away but you dont want to watch bacause you know how it is effecting you. I feel especially hlepless when i see small infants in this situation. What would you advise me and others like me, i am sure I am not the only one..(if i am..help!) to do. 

Yours Truly, 

Bonnie, 

Michigan 

Hi Dear 

Hope you don't mind me poppin in to say hello. I think many people may be in the same position. There is really a great deal that you can do and it doesn't cost any money........the power of prayer never amazes me. The other thing you can do right where you are is see what churches or other non-profit organization are doing in your community. Donate your time. What's that? Well offer to help out at a local food shelf, the Red Cross, animal shelter etc. Many times there are many volunteer jobs that can be done especially at time like this. Volunteer to do clerical work, filing, typing, at the humane society there's laundry, walking animals, answering phones, feeding the animals that sort of thing. Check with the Red Cross in your area and see if they can match up your talents with the need. 

Also I would recommend you limit yourself to watching all the coverage. Sure keep abreast of what's going on but actually doing something to help not only helps the victims but you also ((((winking)))) 

Thanks for caring. 

September 12, 2005, 9:15 am CDT

09/12-13 Hurricane Katrina: Rescuing the Rescuers and Rebuilding

Quote From: kfcgirl23

Hi Dear 

Hope you don't mind me poppin in to say hello. I think many people may be in the same position. There is really a great deal that you can do and it doesn't cost any money........the power of prayer never amazes me. The other thing you can do right where you are is see what churches or other non-profit organization are doing in your community. Donate your time. What's that? Well offer to help out at a local food shelf, the Red Cross, animal shelter etc. Many times there are many volunteer jobs that can be done especially at time like this. Volunteer to do clerical work, filing, typing, at the humane society there's laundry, walking animals, answering phones, feeding the animals that sort of thing. Check with the Red Cross in your area and see if they can match up your talents with the need. 

Also I would recommend you limit yourself to watching all the coverage. Sure keep abreast of what's going on but actually doing something to help not only helps the victims but you also ((((winking)))) 

Thanks for caring. 

I agree that volunteering is such a help when it comes to feeling depressed.  Depression can be like a vortex or for me it's SAD (it's like a seasonal depression) that's a vortex & the feeling of helplessness could be something to start pulling you in.  I find that to pull up & out of SAD it takes small steps that sparks a positive thought or view & then I can start grabing hold of more positive stuff.   

Watching TV & seeing all the horrible images makes us feel that we're helpless to the person we're watching (we can't reach through the screen & feed & comfort), BUT when you're right there organizing clothing or helping to sort of pack up donated supplies you know in your mind that there's going to be someone on the other end that is going to be feed & comforted.  Imagining the face of that person is a positive & the idea that the 1 person is reall MANY that are going to be grateful for the donations you'd helped with multipies that feeling or should.  This is something to grab onto to pull up & out of the depression.  Taking care of the automatic tasks at hand & then occupying your mind with organizing or with volunteering helps to take our mind off ourselves &/or how helpless *I* am.     

It's hard to turn the TV off sometimes because we know somewhere these people on TV can't turn off their situation & so we feel guilty.  But we should turn the TV off because it's not us burying a head in the sand it's doing what needs to be done so we are of a real help.  Continuing to watch TV & becoming depressed & upset isn't of a help to them or us.    

September 12, 2005, 9:20 am CDT

I just heard back from SPCA in Texas...

September 12, 2005, 10:59 am CDT

I read about several rescuers being turned back because they were not armed. What is that?! 

I think that is the most disturbing news-- that people in the same situation turn on each other. 

I also feel like the finger pointing can wait until relief is achieved. So many people are in 

trouble & need help. Looking back to improve reactions on every level is important eventually- 

these folks do not need help eventually, they need it now. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20, some of 

the politicians need to put their ego on hold & step up to move the reconstruction along. 

September 12, 2005, 11:29 am CDT

POWER of PRAYER

Quote From: momakababe

I agree that volunteering is such a help when it comes to feeling depressed.  Depression can be like a vortex or for me it's SAD (it's like a seasonal depression) that's a vortex & the feeling of helplessness could be something to start pulling you in.  I find that to pull up & out of SAD it takes small steps that sparks a positive thought or view & then I can start grabing hold of more positive stuff.   

Watching TV & seeing all the horrible images makes us feel that we're helpless to the person we're watching (we can't reach through the screen & feed & comfort), BUT when you're right there organizing clothing or helping to sort of pack up donated supplies you know in your mind that there's going to be someone on the other end that is going to be feed & comforted.  Imagining the face of that person is a positive & the idea that the 1 person is reall MANY that are going to be grateful for the donations you'd helped with multipies that feeling or should.  This is something to grab onto to pull up & out of the depression.  Taking care of the automatic tasks at hand & then occupying your mind with organizing or with volunteering helps to take our mind off ourselves &/or how helpless *I* am.     

It's hard to turn the TV off sometimes because we know somewhere these people on TV can't turn off their situation & so we feel guilty.  But we should turn the TV off because it's not us burying a head in the sand it's doing what needs to be done so we are of a real help.  Continuing to watch TV & becoming depressed & upset isn't of a help to them or us.    

Thank God for a President, and Dr. Phil, and others who not only believe in prayer, but WILL PRAY in public, and PRAY to the name of God, instead of just standing in a moment of SILENCE. I do not believe that silence is the same thing as prayer - I think that Christians have every right to pray, anytime and anywhere, and for the minority that is against EVERYONE praying, well, let THEM stand in a moment of SILENCE, instead of a moment of prayer, and they had better be hoping (in silence) that all those who are one day allowed to pray again, had better be praying for those who do not believe in it!!!
There is RIGHT and wrong, and that is what we all need to go by, and not by WHO is right, and who is wrong. I do not believe that anyone has the right, to take away prayer from all of those who believe in its power, and I pray that the power of those who are still praying, hopefully more now than every, can change our world - into a better world, instead of one that is headed in the direction of hatred, evil, and so much wrongdoing. AMEN!!!

September 12, 2005, 11:37 am CDT

Government

The government will take all those houses!!!!! What do you call it? Inmenint domain, sorry about the spelling. The poorest of the poor will not go back to a house in New Orleans, let alone their own. The government is recieving all kinds of help for the disaster but believe me it will not go to the victims 4 sure. They sat on their asses and let those levey's break while Bush was on vacation out here in SUN DIEGO he caused a jam on our freeways i should know. New Orleans was already under water and what did our president do, eat cake. He has his friends with no credentials to even be the fema director. I guess it's all about who you know and how much money you have. You would think in today's world nobody in America would go hungry nor go without but they do and that must be changed, take care of America first then the world. I am appauled at the goverment, I feel a civil war is going to take place, I feel the people have had enough. Finally the press and TV are talking about him in a way i have never heard before a big WOW!!! Freedom of speach is here finally. Those people will never get there houses back and the rich will get richer and own New Orleans. Politics, hey, just watch what happens, all keep your eyes and ears open. THE GOVERNMENT SUCKS! SO DOES BUSH! 

September 12, 2005, 12:07 pm CDT

Great job Dr Phil

Dear Dr Phil,  

It is so good to see you help out the police department. I have known many policeman and I know that there job is hard but nothing like that. I think it is great what you are doing for them. I only can hope that more people will see what you are doing and offer free help to the police to talk and get them and their family's through this and back on the feet. You are doing a great thing by helping them. I will be looking forward to see how it go's.  

September 12, 2005, 12:28 pm CDT

Congradulations

Hope to see you for another 100 years. We have learned so much from you.Thanks  Barbara

September 12, 2005, 12:44 pm CDT

Quote From: puptent

So what did you hear?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last