Message Boards

Topic : 09/14 Season Premiere: 1,000 Women!

Number of Replies: 82
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:41:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil kicks off Season  Four with a brand new mission: Empowering women. Whether you need a wake-up call, an attitude adjustment, a backbone or even a new man -- this is your year! His first guest is a 15-year-old girl who's tired of her mother constantly criticizing her because of her weight. Especially since her mom is overweight! Then, a shocking story of a woman who's barely alive at just 68 pounds. An anorexic for 16 years, she speaks to Dr. Phil from her hospital bed. Plus, celebrity surprises and over $1 million in gift giveaways! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 14, 2005, 2:55 pm CDT

There were two different shoes featured on todays show:

Quote From: usarmykay

Can someone tell me the brand name of the shoes that were given away today? By the way, I have no weight issues. Just sagging breast and thinning hair at the age of 43. But, I'm not complaining. I'm blessed that's all that's wrong. We have 15,000 evacuees in my town. I'm very proud my two olders sons are National Guard and are working at a Special Needs Shelter. 

London Sole Classic Ballet Flats 

London Sole Classic Ballet Flats by designer Jane Winkworth have become an enduring and timeless fashion classic as an ultra feminine flat shoe and a brilliant alternative to stilettos and sneakers.  

www.londonsole.com 

and 

New Balance 715 Training Shoes 

New Balance is concentrating on women's needs with new women-only styles and new technology such as breathable mesh and shoes designed specifically to fit a woman's foot. 

www.newbalance.com 

September 14, 2005, 3:01 pm CDT

A Letter to My Friends

To every woman who has ever struggled to accept her body: I recently attended the funeral of a family friend who lost her battle with cancer. The disease ravaged her, as she lost half her body's weight. The experience profoundly affected me, and my reflections prompted me to write you this letter in celebration of your body.I write to honor you, to honor your body, to honor every part you pull, lift, tuck, stretch, judge, tweak, hide, disguise, obsess about, and criticize. I honor every contour, every roll, every wrinkle, every pucker. I honor the "too fat" and the "too thin". I honor the perky, the jiggly, the firm, the round, the plump, the juicy, the knobby, and the saggy.I honor this creation, your soul's companion, as it embraces, rages, wails, caresses, howls, explores, nurtures, twists, bends supports, stumbles, crumples, expands, contracts, heals, destroys.I honor you and your beautiful, robust, strong, perfect body.

September 14, 2005, 3:05 pm CDT

empowerment

I am all for the empowerment of women and the idea of what Dr. Phil is trying to accomplish - however - How can Dr. Phil figure that giving those 3 women breast augmentations is empowering! Am I the only person who thought this was an insult? As women, we need to realize that our bodies look the way they do because of life experiences! You had a child? expect your breasts to change! Its a part of life! We need to be happy with ourselves, and Dr. Phil should be promoting self-improvement with out plastic surgery. The more women that do the surgery, leads to more women wanting to have the surgery - we need to see what we are doing to ourselves - its ugly.  

I am a big fan of Dr.Phil and all the wonderful things he does for people, but i found this "reward" of plastic surgery too much. There are bigger problems in the world today  

todays show

saw it, via tv.  Weight issues, and body image.  Paula was nice. The girl who had anorexia, was truly sick, and i hope she gets better.  After seeing the show, and having had an eating disorder, I feel sorta confused. Of course I wached it, and understood it, but When i am setting at home on my couch, and look at MY own body, and start Naming parts that are wrong, it is rather triggering and makes me want to use those coping mechanisms of my eating disorder to feel better, and manage my weight.  Currently I am at a stable weight and my children are my lifesavers, But ...it didnt quite leave me feeling Empowered...just negative about myself.  "Thunder thighs, flat chest....tummy..." Ugg..

Psychotic?? As a recovering/recovered anorexic, that is offensive.

Quote From: idealw8

When it comes to appearance, I tend to see people as obese or not. And even those (obvious?) opposites don’t seem that dissimilar. I look at those one thousand women in the audience and find them all perfect. 

I can’t understand reducing someone (or yourself) to “flabby arms” or “big bust.” It seems very ignorant and childish. 

Anorexia is a serious psychological disorder. The victims’ perception of reality and self-expression are clearly psychotic. Their behaviors are dangerous. 

I like to think that if Phil was presenting a full program on anorexia, he’d present a wider variety of images of the disorder. In 2005, certainly for a long while, we know that anorexia can afflict all races, genders, ages, and body-sizes. 

Where I definitely had a break from reality about my weight and appearance...I was NEVER psychotic.  Most anorexics aren't.  Psychosis is an ENTIRELY different diagnosis and not to be taken lightly.   

Common concurrent diagnonsenses (intentional error there) are Moderate to Severe Depression, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder...there are many more. 

Even those who self-injure in addition to anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa are not "Psychotic".  They are in touch with reality.  We are pretty sure reality sucks, and that we should be punished or disappear.  It's not about vanity.  It may start that way for some, but truly the "I Feel Fat" is a cover up for an inability to voice deep and often primal emotions. 

I may be perfectly able to write a diatribe at the moment...rant and rave with the big vocabulary words, but if I'm truly upset and in eating disorder/low self-esteem mode I am hard pressed to go more than the "six year old" vocabulary. 

Therapist:  How do you feel? 

Me: (curled on couch, pouty face, sullen voice) I am sad. 

Hello, hi??  Is that how an articulate young woman speaks?  It's almost like aphasia when asked to reveal actual emotions and difficult feelings.  It took my therapist six months to pry out of me that PERHAPS my Mom was less than perfect.  (We were super enmeshed, I love her, but she is my best friend and my worst enemy, and a LOT of the time the Head Shrink with the drugs and the Counselor who have seen me at my WORST say I'm one of the saner people they've met.) 

And Obese or not?  A few pounds over your ideal, a BMI of 25 or more...is overweight.  Obese is 30.  THAT IS BIG.  That is VERY big. 

The difference between a BMI of 17 and the death camp look I had on my face and the rosy look of health and well being is a LARGE difference.  The weight of an average FIRST GRADER difference and it's NOT that many BMI points.  I'm still taller and smaller than the "Average" American woman...even after gaining 1/3 of a person.  I have had people say they were "sorry" when I'll laugh and say how much I've gained...I'm PROUD.  I'm alive and curvy in all the right places, I'm me sized and I wouldn't change it for the world.  Thanks to my team (Therapist, Nutritionist, Medical Doctor, and Psychologist for meds.) I eat what I want, when I want.  A little bit of everything.  I walk my dog and I do yoga.  That's it.  I fluctuate by maybe 5 pounds either way.  I'm not exactly sure.  I smashed my scale with a hammer. 

We're all "ME" sized, and MANY people have food issues.  You don't need to be a skeleton and on tube feedings to be dying and be doing damage.  By the time they are sticking tubes in you your body is PRETTY far gone and the damage is DONE.  Osteoporosis, kidney and live damage, heart damage...with the wasting of muscle come the wasting of the HEART...a muscle.  Eventually it EATS YOUR BRAIN. 

Chronic dieters with their "flabby arms" and "big bust" are putting themselves for malnutrition as well...diet pills, yo yo diets and food group restriction can have some of the same effects as prolonged anorexia. 

Per DSM-IV Revised edition anorexia nervosa has a BMI criteria, however the behaviors without the physical health symptoms can be classified as Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified(EDNOS) with Anorexic features. 

For more information look at Something-Fishy.org or WebMD.  My friend and sister-of-the-heart in recovery has her story there. (On Web MD.) 

As grotesque as the show "Starved" can be...that's pretty much it.  I actually love it, but that's because I can look back and laugh at some of the things I've done because they didn't kill me and I've crawled out of that hell. 

September 14, 2005, 3:10 pm CDT

I agree!

Quote From: cmcgaugh

I was at the taping of the Season Four premiere and I left troubled by the content of the show.  

It seems as though the image of anorexics is always shown by the media as a skeletal woman on the verge of death. While my heart aches for these women, there are many others who suffer from anorexia who look nothing like a walking cadaver.  

Personally, I've experienced friends and family members who think I look "healthy" compared to the images they see in magazines and on TV, therefore they dismiss my illness as "not serious" or "all in my head."  

The truth is, at 5'4" and 97 lbs., I suffer greatly. My life is consumed by my disease. I worry that friends and family of other anorexics will take the same attitude of denial until their loved ones are truly dying and beyond help.  

Even among other anorexics, the competition to be the thinnest is perpetuatued by these disturbing images. "If I'm not as thin as she is, I'm not being a good anorexic. I need to lose more weight." 

When I was hospitalized for this disease, this attitude of competition existed among all of the patients there. 

I'm troubled that Dr. Phil's use of these shocking images (as tragic and sad as they are), merely supports the misconceptions of eating disorders and its victims. 

Keep fighting. :) 

You are YOU sized.  Please don't be imprisioned by your pants.  Do you still see your therapist?  Have you looked into Something-fishy.org? 

Have you thought about smashing your scale to bits, or hiding it with a friend so you don't use it so often?   

You are much much more valuable than what a "simple machine"(physics geek) like a scale or caliper, clothes, tape measures or even the mirror can "tell" you.  They are incapable of determining your true worth. 

OH, read SARK. :)  The Play Journal and Succullent Wild Woman are excellent starting places if you haven't found her already. 

NO offense Dr. Phil. :)  You are neat too...but SARK is amazing and you should have her on your show. 

September 14, 2005, 3:21 pm CDT

Breast feeding is more important than looks

I am upset that Dr. Phil didn't ask two of the three women who are getting free breast augmentation if they ever plan to have children  -  and if they are if the said childrens health is important to them. 

Once women have beast augmentation or breast reduction, it becomes very difficult and most times imposible to breast feed.  I have known women who have had augmentation at a young age (early 20's) and regreted it.  I don't feel it right to help very young women who are just beginning to live their lives get something as invasive as breast augmentation.  A few years from now when one or more of the women on todays show has children and aren't able to feed their children in the most natural and healthy way, they most likely aren't going to be able to.  Dr. Phil, how can you sleep tonight knowing that you may be  affecting the health of a future child 

September 14, 2005, 3:22 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: linnie

I am all for the empowerment of women and the idea of what Dr. Phil is trying to accomplish - however - How can Dr. Phil figure that giving those 3 women breast augmentations is empowering! Am I the only person who thought this was an insult? As women, we need to realize that our bodies look the way they do because of life experiences! You had a child? expect your breasts to change! Its a part of life! We need to be happy with ourselves, and Dr. Phil should be promoting self-improvement with out plastic surgery. The more women that do the surgery, leads to more women wanting to have the surgery - we need to see what we are doing to ourselves - its ugly.  

I am a big fan of Dr.Phil and all the wonderful things he does for people, but i found this "reward" of plastic surgery too much. There are bigger problems in the world today  

My sister and I concur! we just posted a similar message!!

September 14, 2005, 3:26 pm CDT

Starvation Diets

Quote From: donnalee

I have a daughter who is twelve, she is probably 58 inches tall, and weighs 126.  My son is eight, he is 56 inches, and he weighs 121.  I am very careful about portion size, and they always get healthy snacks.  We don't even keep chips or candy in the house.  I think genetics is it.  I am only 5 ft. and I weigh 124, but I can only eat about 700 calories a day, or my weight will soar.  As long as children feel loved and accepted within their families, weight should not be an issue, unless it is a health problem. 

I am only 5 ft. and I weigh 124, but I can only eat about 700 calories a day, or my weight will soar. 

Have you talked to your doctor about this?  Gotten your thyroid checked?  Perhaps you might try excercise?  Even a walk around the block or light weight training can up your metabolism. 

What your diet of 700 calories a day is doing is stalling out your metabolism. 

I ate that many calories a day when I was deep in Anorexia...granted I also worked out like a maniac, ditching social activities for classes...but that is not a lot of food at all. 

You need to eat small, well balanced mini meals or snacks throughout the day. 

If you can swing it, talk to a nutritionist for the good of your WHOLE family.  It can't be good for your daughter to see you barely eating. 

I know it didn't do me any good to see my mother barely eat...it hasn't done her any good either.  She's not even sixty and she has osteoporosis. 

Even if you never said ANYTHING to  your daughter about weight and food, she watches, she observes and she sees.  She's already picking up that "Grown Women Don't Eat".  Read "Stick Figure", you can look it up by that on Amazon, it's very common and "Reviving Ophelia:Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls" also readily available. 

I wish my Mom had. 

Just some food for thought.   

September 14, 2005, 3:31 pm CDT

09/14 Season Premiere: 1,000 Women!

Today looks like it would have been a really fun show to be a part of.  A few (many) years back there was this diet concept of "FOOD COMBINING."  Any of ya all ever heard of that?  Where you don't combine carbs and proteins or you don't combine dairy and meats. And you drink juice in the morning.  I know there usted to be books on it.  It's suppose to give you energy.  Anyone I know anymore on a diet is on the Adkins diet.   I think that's the protein one or they're on the glycogen carb index or something like that.....  On this show it seemed everyone who was on an extreme diet was on it because of something someone said to them about themselves that they took to heart.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last