Message Boards

Topic : 09/14 Season Premiere: 1,000 Women!

Number of Replies: 82
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:41:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil kicks off Season  Four with a brand new mission: Empowering women. Whether you need a wake-up call, an attitude adjustment, a backbone or even a new man -- this is your year! His first guest is a 15-year-old girl who's tired of her mother constantly criticizing her because of her weight. Especially since her mom is overweight! Then, a shocking story of a woman who's barely alive at just 68 pounds. An anorexic for 16 years, she speaks to Dr. Phil from her hospital bed. Plus, celebrity surprises and over $1 million in gift giveaways! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 14, 2005, 3:33 pm CDT

commercials

It is distressing to see that over 75% of the commercials during a show about self image were weight loss centers.

September 14, 2005, 3:35 pm CDT

WAS today a step forward.....or backward?

I have read the responses to today's show on women..and I was so relieved to hear that not everyone thought giving women who had small breast, a breast enlargement was a sign of excepting oneself. I LOVE Dr. Phil...and know he means well..but I really think this was simply another attempt at women wanting free surgery deciding to come on Dr. Phil...I did notice that today's show was..all very attractive, youngish, slim women......in fact....they seemed to have it all and the fact they didn't have breast the size of Texas seems to be a good enough excuse to get free work done and tell everyone you were on Dr. Phil. 

I feel very sorry for the young lady who is killing her self by not seeing what she is doing to herself, she needs help..and thank you for giving it to her.  

WHERE were the 300 pound women who wanted surgery or lypo or any host of help via Dr. Phil?....It's always been a main problem I have and I know it's my problem...but when someone has one or two small issues, they should be thinking God for their blessings not being rewarded by furthering the concept that perfection is the only acceptable alternative. 

September 14, 2005, 3:40 pm CDT

I appreciate you!

My oldest daugter , like Paula Abdul, started ballet at a young age and has told me that the constant looking in the mirror at the studio...(she saw a short, fat young girl ,she wasn't, but was shorter than the other girls)...was the reason she started purging...did not tell me until she was 19 and had been purging for years...she still works at liking her body every day and she is now 38...thank you for reminding us we ARE okay even if we don't look like the models or ballet dancers of today!!

September 14, 2005, 3:44 pm CDT

Dr.Phil your show was awesome

Hey Dr.Phil  

i'm 15 years old and i've been a big fan of your since i was like 13 lol ! i just wanted to say that i loved your season premier it was amazing and i love the set and robin looked amazing and it was so sweet of her to make that speech to all the woman about taking of themselves and appreciating themselves for who they are !! 

keep up the good work Dr.Phil and Robin and maybe have more episodes with Jay and Jordan 

Sincerely *Christina* xox 

September 14, 2005, 3:59 pm CDT

Confused and Angry

I have been a great fan of Dr. Phil, but I was upset to see that Dr. Phil is arranging those three women to have their breast done!  I had breast augmentation several years ago and I have had nothing but problems ever since.  One of my breast is hard as a rock and has large knots all in it.  I have pain in them all the time.  It never goes away.   I have other medical problems that I believe are caused by the surgery.  Dr. Phil, please let these women know of the severe risks involved with this procedure.  I would be glad to tell them my story.  At the time, I was so excited to have the surgery, but know one ever told me the risks.  I had no idea that later, it would cause me so much pain.  I would rather be flat chested than have these big hard , knotty, painful boobs!   

September 14, 2005, 4:01 pm CDT

What kind of pills?

Quote From: lissajane

i know what its like to have a nagging mother...im 17 years old...5'8" 245....and im fat...most ppl would say that fat is when ur bubbling over ur pants...can hardly walk...well i find myself out of breath when i walk up the stairs at school...i started today "eating healthy"...we'll see how long it works...im gonna start taking these pills too to help boost my matabalism...hopefully it works...gl to all...

Obesity is a huge health concern, and it is already awful to be in High School, I'm so glad THAT part of my life is over. 

As someone who has been troubled with food for over half her life, I have some concerns... 

What does "eating healthy" mean to you?   

Are you sure you will be getting enough protein, calcium and vitamins?  Remember, some vitamins and minerals are fat soluable so you need SOME fat. 

I've found my body works best when I eat fresh or steamed vegetables, fresh fruit, meats that are processed as little as possible (preservative free, etc etc. a serving is the size of a deck of cards), a variety of dairy (1% or skim milk and yogurt, either plain with fruit or honey added or the regular kind...the "nutra sweet" kind isn't really the best for you and one of my favorites, cottage cheese, cheese too...1-2 oz at most in a serving.), drinking LOTS of water and not drinking much soda diet OR regular.  Diet soda is full of junk you don't need.  You DO need carbs, but LOOK at your carbs.  Are they heavily refined like white flour and sugar?  Look for carbs with a lot of fiber in them...check out the health food store.  Me, I really love Kashi Cereal as one of my carbs, and I don't keep much bread in the house because I DO love it.  So when I DO have bread, I get the good bakery bread and I have real butter or olive oil to dip it in.  It's a treat.  Everything in moderation is good for you.   

I try to steer clear of fried and fast food.  Sometimes you are better off getting the "Happy Meal" than the chicken sandwich.  Look at your labels. 

Please talk to your pediatrician or family doctor about what a realistic and sensible lifestyle change would look like.  (I love pediatricians...I'm glad my internist also has a ped's specialty...they're nicer. ;) 

The thing I most concerned about is the pills to boost your metabolism.  Did your doctor prescribe these? 

If not, STEER CLEAR.  Most of these things are a hoax, or not good for you and just feed into this fad dieting JUNK.  Really look into a change you can make for LIFE.  Building an activity/excercise you like into  your routine and making healthy eating choices every day. 

I was anorexic and it was hell.  I've been overweight by a bit at times.  Now, I am just right.  A good body fat %, good muscle mass and very good health.  I can even look at my body and smile at it.  Eating like I do I really don't gain or lose.  My body regulates itself.  Making these changes, you WILL lose.  It will be slowly, slower than you would want it to be...but the weight didn't get put on all at once. 

Don't listen to your mother about the weight, ultimately, it is YOUR body.  The hurtful things she says I bet just trigger a binge.  Be mindful about each bite.  Eat ONLY when you are hungry.  Stop when you are full.  Eat at the table...or at least sitting down, not distracted by the television or computer.  I know within a few bites EXACTLY what full is/will be.  I'm not ever "stuffed to the gills" anymore.  At restaurants, the servings are huge...maybe cut your entree in half right away.  Don't ask for a box right away, that is well, weird and borderline disordered, but "draw a line" as to what your serving is, to remind yourself, and then enjoy your company. 

Food is nourishment for the body AND the soul when shared with good company. 

Be good to yourself.  You deserve it. 

September 14, 2005, 4:03 pm CDT

depressed

I really liked the new set and I think the first show of the 4th season was great, I have a story to tell that kinda goes along with the season premier. I am now 38 years old soon to be 39 and i still think that I am ugly, stupid, worhless, and fat. The reason I feel this way is because my mom has told me this since i was a little girl and then it moved to the abusive husband that i had for 17 years which he used the excuse that i was fat and ugly to beat me to a pulp., I have gone from relationship to relationsip not getting any success with them because of the way i feel , i have no friends, and my family wont have much to do with me even my 17 year old daughter says she is glad she got her weight and looks from her dads side of the family and not mine. I feel like a failure in my life and I just dont know what to do, i am now living on my own with no job and a live in boyfriend who also treats me with little respect because of me being worhless. he says the same thing my mom does that i am worthless and will never amount to anything with out having him there to support me. im tired of living this way but therapists dont work ive tried them and doctors just put me on medication for depression so i dont harm myself (which i have thought of doing at one time) i am just sick and tired of the way i feel and I am at a loss as to what i can do to make things better does anyone have any suggestions or help for me i feel so alone  

September 14, 2005, 4:13 pm CDT

Dr. Phil????

First I have to say that I LOVE the Dr. Phil show, I think Dr. Phil is inspirational and a great role model for miss-guided America!
But I could not believe when on today's show Dr. Phil provided three woman with breast implants, courtesy Dr Phil...? Wasn't this show supposed to be about how to learn to love yourself for who you are and since we are so focused on looks, how to learn to love yourself for WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE?
Learning to live with the  boobs we where given is part of the deal, Dr. Phil!
I believe that part of our lives should be spend with learning to love ourselves for who we are and accepting ourselves for what we are. This includes our looks! We need to learn to accept ourselves for what we look like!
How do we expect to be able to accept other people for who they are and be less judgmental if we are the least accepting with ourselves?
I know it might be easy for me to say, I was born with "skinny genes". I weigh about 135lbs and am about 5 11". But I also only wear an A cub bra and my boobs don't look as nice and perky as they did before I had my beautiful baby girl... but nevertheless, they are MY boobs and I will live with them. They are part of who I am and although they may be less perfect then I wish they where...they are still my boobs! It would be wrong to "fix" them, instead of learning to live with them the way they are....
How can Dr.Phil preach about accepting ourselves for who we are and then turn around and offer free breast implants....because it would be easier to shop...???
Dr. Phil, I agree with almost everything you say and do on your show, but this one was WAY OFF!

Accepting the imperfections in yourself will help you to accept the imperfections in other people...which will make you a better, more accepting and less judgmental person.
Love yourself for who you are and what you look like!

September 14, 2005, 4:19 pm CDT

There is hope.

Quote From: tcorkum2

I really liked the new set and I think the first show of the 4th season was great, I have a story to tell that kinda goes along with the season premier. I am now 38 years old soon to be 39 and i still think that I am ugly, stupid, worhless, and fat. The reason I feel this way is because my mom has told me this since i was a little girl and then it moved to the abusive husband that i had for 17 years which he used the excuse that i was fat and ugly to beat me to a pulp., I have gone from relationship to relationsip not getting any success with them because of the way i feel , i have no friends, and my family wont have much to do with me even my 17 year old daughter says she is glad she got her weight and looks from her dads side of the family and not mine. I feel like a failure in my life and I just dont know what to do, i am now living on my own with no job and a live in boyfriend who also treats me with little respect because of me being worhless. he says the same thing my mom does that i am worthless and will never amount to anything with out having him there to support me. im tired of living this way but therapists dont work ive tried them and doctors just put me on medication for depression so i dont harm myself (which i have thought of doing at one time) i am just sick and tired of the way i feel and I am at a loss as to what i can do to make things better does anyone have any suggestions or help for me i feel so alone  

The combination of medication and therapy did wonders for me. 

However I had to be BRUTALLY honest with my therapist, and I admit I had tried therapy before...the quick fix, six sessions with the wrong person, "I'm all patched up now." approach. 

No, that did not work.  It took three years of working with my therapist to REALLY get a handle on myself and my eating disorder and depression.  I had to take a good hard look at myself.  On WHY I felt worthless.  Yes, there were childhood triggers, things that I took to heart.  The people raising me did the best that they learned...they tried.  Can I forgive them, well, yes.  They didn't do anything terrible.  Do I take all they say now to heart? 

NO.  Because as Dr. Phil would say, "How's that working/worked for you?" 

The answer? NOT VERY WELL!!!  

Can you make a list of an achievable goal or two that you believe would better your life?  Then break it down to little things you can do every day to achieve this goal? 

Have you ever read SARK's books?  If not, DO IT!!!!!  She is a survivor of just about everything and I ADORE her books.  Yes they are self help.  I HATE self help books.  Not hers.  "Succulent Wild Woman" is a must.   

I prescribe that as the very first thing.   

I think everyone should have a therapist.  I saw my therapist as an unshockable, neutral confessor.  She couldn't hate me even if I told her my lowest, deepest, most horrible secrets.  It's a good feeling. 

Maybe interview a few therapists?  Write down what you would like in a therapist, or your "ideal listener" and work from there.  My therapist helped me focus on answering my own questions.  I'd ramble on, and then when something interesting came up we would examine it closely. 

I have never felt better.  I guess I had to fall apart to put myself back together again. 

Good luck on your journey. 

SEE about finding a job or civic agency to get the HELL away from that boyfriend.  Find a way to find the money to get the hell out and away from those people.  If people don't respect your boundaries, limit your exposure to them as much as possible.  They have not earned the right/priviledge to your company. 

September 14, 2005, 4:22 pm CDT

...but you have such a pretty face!

I am 45 years old and started another diet 3 weeks ago. So far, I have done well and I am determined to stick with it for better health and longer life.  This diet would probably be the 45th one I've started since I was 7 years old!  I have never been happy with my body (except for my junior year in college when I finally got down to a size 9), especially since my mother is 5'0" and very petite and whom I towered over and outweighed by the time I was 11 years old. I also need to say that I am adopted, so the fact of my size was yet another reminder that I was the cuckoo in the nest!!   

The whole fat thing was excruciating while living in my mother's house, so when I got married---I gave up. Literally, I gained over 100 lbs in 6 years after I got married. I guess I wanted to test my mother's message that no one would love me if I was sloppy fat. Guess what? My husband and I are still married, he still loves me, he supports my decision to diet or not.  He just wants us to be together longer, so we are trying to do what we should do right now.   

By the way, my mom was not really concious of how the many, many hurtful comments that she made over the years about my weight impacted my ability to interact with others people. She just wanted the best for me. I know she loves me, but she hates that I am overweight.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last