Message Boards

Topic : 09/14 Season Premiere: 1,000 Women!

Number of Replies: 82
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:41:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil kicks off Season  Four with a brand new mission: Empowering women. Whether you need a wake-up call, an attitude adjustment, a backbone or even a new man -- this is your year! His first guest is a 15-year-old girl who's tired of her mother constantly criticizing her because of her weight. Especially since her mom is overweight! Then, a shocking story of a woman who's barely alive at just 68 pounds. An anorexic for 16 years, she speaks to Dr. Phil from her hospital bed. Plus, celebrity surprises and over $1 million in gift giveaways! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 14, 2005, 4:29 pm CDT

Cellulite and Laser

If I could change one thing:  I would get Laser permanent leg hair removal.  Has anyone ever done this?  And is it really permanent?  It's expensive... hundreds of dollars per visit....Question though:  What causes cellulite?  And I know it is more than exercise?  Is it a certain kind of food?  sugar?  grease?  that works either way to cause it or prevent it or remove it?  And how come even small women get it?  Has anyone read up on this subject?

September 14, 2005, 4:39 pm CDT

Well Said!

Quote From: faras_mom

First I have to say that I LOVE the Dr. Phil show, I think Dr. Phil is inspirational and a great role model for miss-guided America!
But I could not believe when on today's show Dr. Phil provided three woman with breast implants, courtesy Dr Phil...? Wasn't this show supposed to be about how to learn to love yourself for who you are and since we are so focused on looks, how to learn to love yourself for WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE?
Learning to live with the  boobs we where given is part of the deal, Dr. Phil!
I believe that part of our lives should be spend with learning to love ourselves for who we are and accepting ourselves for what we are. This includes our looks! We need to learn to accept ourselves for what we look like!
How do we expect to be able to accept other people for who they are and be less judgmental if we are the least accepting with ourselves?
I know it might be easy for me to say, I was born with "skinny genes". I weigh about 135lbs and am about 5 11". But I also only wear an A cub bra and my boobs don't look as nice and perky as they did before I had my beautiful baby girl... but nevertheless, they are MY boobs and I will live with them. They are part of who I am and although they may be less perfect then I wish they where...they are still my boobs! It would be wrong to "fix" them, instead of learning to live with them the way they are....
How can Dr.Phil preach about accepting ourselves for who we are and then turn around and offer free breast implants....because it would be easier to shop...???
Dr. Phil, I agree with almost everything you say and do on your show, but this one was WAY OFF!

Accepting the imperfections in yourself will help you to accept the imperfections in other people...which will make you a better, more accepting and less judgmental person.
Love yourself for who you are and what you look like!

Completely agree with you. We as women need to stop this maddness and obsession with looking perfect... We just have to love ourselves the way we are! Sometimes it can be hard to except that we don't look they way we used to, but think of all the experiences you have had along the way and smile for all you've learned. The 3 women were beautiful the way they are, i wish they would change their minds about this ridiculous surgery.... 

September 14, 2005, 4:48 pm CDT

Cellulite

Quote From: missjane2

If I could change one thing:  I would get Laser permanent leg hair removal.  Has anyone ever done this?  And is it really permanent?  It's expensive... hundreds of dollars per visit....Question though:  What causes cellulite?  And I know it is more than exercise?  Is it a certain kind of food?  sugar?  grease?  that works either way to cause it or prevent it or remove it?  And how come even small women get it?  Has anyone read up on this subject?

What causes it?? 

GENETICS 

There are diets and pills and creams and everything under the sun ad infinitum and ad nauseum, but if you're going to get it, you're going to get it. 

Even stars have it when they aren't airbrushed and prepped.  Just look at the grocery store checkout aisle tabloids. 

It is unfortunately a fact of life. 

I generally don't think about it much, as it is rare that most people see my butt and upper thighs.   

If they are judging me for that, I don't want them in my life.  I'm in good shape, yet still HATE swimsuits.  I think I'd rather be at a nude beach*lol* or at my own private lake/pool.  Swim suits are funny looking.  Just my humble opinion. 

September 14, 2005, 5:16 pm CDT

weight loss and breast size

I can understand where the guest on the show was coming from when she spoke of losing 65 pounds and she didn't feel her breasts looked good anymore.  However I had a rather different scenario.  I lost 30 pounds, and 3-4 pants sizes over the past year. However my breasts remained the same size.  They did not shrink with losing weight. I currently weigh 147 at 5'7"  and wear a 36C.   10 years ago, at 22, I weighed the same as what I do now, but was overflowing out of a 34 DD and sagging nearly to my waist.   My point here is that some women are unable to lose weight in their breasts no matter how much weight they lose everywhere else.  So for people to say, "If you lose weight, you'll lose it in your breasts too." is not an entirely true statement.  It took a breast reduction to get my breasts smaller.  It may be a vanity thing, but losing all the weight in the world wouldn't have mattered if people still looked at my chest instead of my face.

September 14, 2005, 6:07 pm CDT

I'm Dying To Hear...

Just what it was that Kelly said that was 'disrespectful' that warranted a slap across the face. Exactly how was it that she was talking to her with a tone of voice or attitude and where oh where does Mummy Dearest think she learned how to be disrespectful and rude?  It may be addressed on the message board already, I'm going to go through the responses but I'm just DYING to know. Will I ever? Do tell. 

Kelly, you're beautiful. Anyone standing on the outside looking at you can tell you that. When you lose the weight and feel better about yourself, you'll see it to but many of us are seeing it already. 

September 14, 2005, 6:13 pm CDT

HERE HERE...

Quote From: faras_mom

First I have to say that I LOVE the Dr. Phil show, I think Dr. Phil is inspirational and a great role model for miss-guided America!
But I could not believe when on today's show Dr. Phil provided three woman with breast implants, courtesy Dr Phil...? Wasn't this show supposed to be about how to learn to love yourself for who you are and since we are so focused on looks, how to learn to love yourself for WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE?
Learning to live with the  boobs we where given is part of the deal, Dr. Phil!
I believe that part of our lives should be spend with learning to love ourselves for who we are and accepting ourselves for what we are. This includes our looks! We need to learn to accept ourselves for what we look like!
How do we expect to be able to accept other people for who they are and be less judgmental if we are the least accepting with ourselves?
I know it might be easy for me to say, I was born with "skinny genes". I weigh about 135lbs and am about 5 11". But I also only wear an A cub bra and my boobs don't look as nice and perky as they did before I had my beautiful baby girl... but nevertheless, they are MY boobs and I will live with them. They are part of who I am and although they may be less perfect then I wish they where...they are still my boobs! It would be wrong to "fix" them, instead of learning to live with them the way they are....
How can Dr.Phil preach about accepting ourselves for who we are and then turn around and offer free breast implants....because it would be easier to shop...???
Dr. Phil, I agree with almost everything you say and do on your show, but this one was WAY OFF!

Accepting the imperfections in yourself will help you to accept the imperfections in other people...which will make you a better, more accepting and less judgmental person.
Love yourself for who you are and what you look like!

I have to agree with you on this 100%. I didn't get to watch this show because I live in Australia, but I have to say that what you've written here is just so true, we all must learn to love the person that we are.  

Yes, some of us don't have the perfect body shape, but we are all human and we all should be treated with the same respect as everyone else on this planet. 

I once was a small size but over the years I did get bigger, especially after having my daughter, but also I'm Diabetic and being on insulin and tablets it is hard to lose weight. I know it would be more healthy for me if I did lose some weight, but hey I am still human.  

As quoted above, "Accepting the imperfections in yourself will help you to accept the impertections in other people...which will make you a better, more accepting and less judgemental person. Love yourself for who you are and what you look like." This couldn't have been said any better, so please believe what has been written here by the above quoted person, as this person is very wise to me. 

Anyway please TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

September 14, 2005, 6:14 pm CDT

TERRIBLE MOTHER!!!

I feel so sorry for Kelly.  What kind of mother says those types of things to their own kid??    I was 200 lbs by the time I was 16.  The only person in my family that teased me was my brother.   I can not imagine how much it hurts kelly to have her mother say mean things to her.    My parents never said anything mean to me, NOTHING!!  Thats how it should be!  Parents are suppose to be supportive and loving towards thier kids, no matter what. 

September 14, 2005, 6:32 pm CDT

Bonnie Raitt

Dr. Phil, 

Thank you for having Bonnie Raitt on the show. I love her music and first saw her in concert in 1977 at the University of Tennessee Alumni gym. I was wondering if she was still singing. 

September 14, 2005, 6:47 pm CDT

Wasn't one of his best

I watch everyday after work. I seldom miss a show. This episode (1000 women) certainly missed the boat. I'm surprised because, I've never watched a show I didn't like. My 3 soldiers even say DR. Phil is the man and watch with me often when they are home.  I'm not going to go into details about the episode and what I think the flaws were.  I'm sure you know that already from emails. 

September 14, 2005, 6:49 pm CDT

Great Post!

Quote From: marybeth98

To every woman who has ever struggled to accept her body: I recently attended the funeral of a family friend who lost her battle with cancer. The disease ravaged her, as she lost half her body's weight. The experience profoundly affected me, and my reflections prompted me to write you this letter in celebration of your body.I write to honor you, to honor your body, to honor every part you pull, lift, tuck, stretch, judge, tweak, hide, disguise, obsess about, and criticize. I honor every contour, every roll, every wrinkle, every pucker. I honor the "too fat" and the "too thin". I honor the perky, the jiggly, the firm, the round, the plump, the juicy, the knobby, and the saggy.I honor this creation, your soul's companion, as it embraces, rages, wails, caresses, howls, explores, nurtures, twists, bends supports, stumbles, crumples, expands, contracts, heals, destroys.I honor you and your beautiful, robust, strong, perfect body.
I feel better already as I jiggle down the hall towards the fridge...seriously though... I know what kind of body I would like to have and I'm not unrealistic about that considering my age.  I don't wish for the body of a 20 year old...but I also know where I can get this body and it's not in this chair...it's in the gym or out walking and it's in a healthier diet...so I'm not one to complain about my body...but as far as those three breast augmentations...I think Dr. Phil was just trying to demonstrate "balance" and that plastic surgery is not black or white, good or bad...you have to be doing it for the right reasons...not because you think it will give you self-esteem or because you believe it will save your marriage to a man who cheats on you because your boobs are too small or because you are fixing what aint' broke as in body dismorphic disorder...etc. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last