Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 4, 2006, 2:09 pm CDT

Don't give up

Quote From: dewaele

I think it must have taken a lot of courage for you to post your feelings on the subject.  I am glad that Dr. Phil's show drew attention to the fact that it is not only women who are judged on looks.  I feel for your situation, and can sympathize to some extent.  My advice to you would be to encourage you to lose weight- not only because it will increase your chances of meeting someone, but because of the numerous health issues you are going to have as a result of being overweight at such a young age.

Men and women are initially drawn to people based on looks.  It is a fact, and anyone who denies it is either in denial or is too attractive to have ever been rejected based on their looks.  Once you make the outside look better, you will increase your chances of  meeting someone who can then get to know you for everything else you have to offer.  I suspect from your post that you are intelligent and quite warm, and would have a lot to offer a girl.   Looks are part of the package, though, and you need to come to terms with that.  The better you take care of yourself, the better equipped you will be to enter a relationship.  Additionally, as you start to lose weight, you will likely develop more confidence which will in turn help you approach women with greater ease.  I, too, have been rejected throughout my life based on my looks.  I am not facially attractive, but have always tried to maintain myself from the neck down in order to feel better about myself.  I don't attract a lot of men, but the few I do attract are not superficial men wrapped up in obtaining "arm candy".  My current boyfriend says he fell for me because of my great sense of humor and ability to have intellectually stimulating conversation. 

Remember- no one stays beautiful forever.  Looks do fade (despite all the modern day surgical conveniences), and the most important part of meeting a mate is having other qualities to offer.  Best of luck to you!
I met my husband while he was gassing up my car.  He asked me out and my first instinct was to say no. (he caught me by surprise).  There was something in his eyes that made me reconsider.  I have never regretted the decision.  I am considered attractive, and many people ask me what I see in my skinny, big-nosed, native husband(their words, not mine).  What I see is a man with the biggest heart in the whole world, who loves everything about me, the kindest, sweetest, man in the Universe.  I wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone.  Don't give up on yourself, project who you are to the world.  The day will come when someone looks into your eyes.

June 4, 2006, 8:06 pm CDT

DFS

I can't believe anyone would believe that the children would be better off in foster care than at home!    

They need some 'edging' not a government program!  They need a family with morals, friends with values,  a church with compassion, a community that provides guidance not ostracisim.  Where is her Mother or best friend or God Forbid husband? that says..."don't do this'?     

June 5, 2006, 9:02 am CDT

wow

wow........pretty-- ugly....... fat-- thin...... rich-- poor...... black-- white...... As a parent of two boys with the world at their feet....  I pray........ For  both of them daily and also for all of those who will cross their paths. I cant change the world or the way my neighbor down the street thinks, but, I can teach my boys to respect all PEOPLE. PERIOD.

June 5, 2006, 9:06 am CDT

cleft lip & palate

Quote From: girloves

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL...AND I REALLY HOPE DEBI READS YOUR MESSAGE. SHE CERTAINLY NEEDS TO

Hi, 

I have a son that is now 14 years old and was born with a cleft lip and palate.  He has been teased his whole life but my husband and I have always shown him how much we love him.  I think that the family support makes all of the difference.  Good for you and your mom! 

Kat 

June 5, 2006, 11:27 am CDT

I'm frustrated

I was very frustrated with the mom on the show that day that had 2 daughters and one of them had that skin disorder.  How dare her treat her little girl that way.  My daughter, Hannah, is her age and never in a million years could I ever treat her that way.  Children are a gift from god and we need to love our children no matter what.  She dosen't realize the damage she is doing to her.  She will have nothing but problems as an adult.  I don't believe she even deserves those children.  There are many people that cannot have kids and would do anything to be able to have them.  She needs to be grateful for what god has given her.  My daughter is beautiful and always will be no matter what could ever happen to her.

June 5, 2006, 2:34 pm CDT

debi unfit mother

Quote From: antney1

The way Debi treats her seven year old daughter is paramount to both emotional neglect and abuse. Being in the business that hes in, Dr.Phil is what is known as a mandatory reporter. Is he going to report this woman to her states' version of ACS (I didnt catch where shes from)? Her children should be placed in foster care until she gets the help that she needs, bacause the way it is now, she is ruining her kids.
I meant to type mandated reporter, not mandatory

June 5, 2006, 4:35 pm CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: drphildrph

I can't believe anyone would believe that the children would be better off in foster care than at home!    

They need some 'edging' not a government program!  They need a family with morals, friends with values,  a church with compassion, a community that provides guidance not ostracisim.  Where is her Mother or best friend or God Forbid husband? that says..."don't do this'?     

They need to keep that child safe.  She is not safe in her home.   

June 5, 2006, 5:37 pm CDT

creepy guy story :<(

Someone from our city was murdered by they think a guy that hung around shops that mothers would shop at with their kids for clothes. He would always be hanging around and at several.other similar stores. Finally a few weeks ago, the husband of a lady that ran one asked him to leave and not hang around that shop . Then a person who worked for them was murdered and he dissappeared . They haven't found him yet but think it might be him. Especially since he dissappeared right after. So retail people do have to be careful and alert. But the character Jay played would have been great for a TV show or movie. That makeup guy was incredibly talented.

June 5, 2006, 5:53 pm CDT

Pretty Ugly Mother

Can only hope someone watching in authority or Dr Phil is taking steps to remove these girls from this woman, there is no way this is not child abuse in one of the worst ways I have seen in a long time.  How can this father continue to allow this woman to continue not to nurture his daughter is beyond me.  I hope that Dr. Phil does a follow up to this. 

June 5, 2006, 10:22 pm CDT

topic: 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: elconnors

DR PHIL SHOULD SEND A COPY OF THIS TAPE TO VICTORIA'S DAD SO HE CAN GET FULL CUSTODY, A TAPE SHOULD BE SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES.  WOW, I COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW THE MOM TREATED VICTORIA.  IF SHE IS SO ASHAMED OF HER DAUGHTERS LOOKS AND THINKS SHE WILL TURN OUT TO BE SKUM WHY NOT GIVE HER TO HER DAD (UNLESS HE IS UNFIT) OR PLACE HER FOR ADOPTION  i'M SURE A FAMILY WOULD TAKE HER AND LOVE HER FOR WHO SHE IS.  I WATCHED THE SHOW IS SHOCK EVERYTIME THE MOM WOULD TALK.ED   DR PHIL THE MOM NEEDS MORE THAN COUNSELING I'M NOT SURE SHE SHOULD HAVE CUSTODY OF KIDS!!!

First | Prev | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | Next | Last