Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 5, 2006, 10:33 pm CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: elconnors

DR PHIL SHOULD SEND A COPY OF THIS TAPE TO VICTORIA'S DAD SO HE CAN GET FULL CUSTODY, A TAPE SHOULD BE SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES.  WOW, I COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW THE MOM TREATED VICTORIA.  IF SHE IS SO ASHAMED OF HER DAUGHTERS LOOKS AND THINKS SHE WILL TURN OUT TO BE SKUM WHY NOT GIVE HER TO HER DAD (UNLESS HE IS UNFIT) OR PLACE HER FOR ADOPTION  i'M SURE A FAMILY WOULD TAKE HER AND LOVE HER FOR WHO SHE IS.  I WATCHED THE SHOW IS SHOCK EVERYTIME THE MOM WOULD TALK.ED   DR PHIL THE MOM NEEDS MORE THAN COUNSELING I'M NOT SURE SHE SHOULD HAVE CUSTODY OF KIDS!!!
I was truly heartbroken for little Victoria and felt much not sympathy for this mother.  I do hope Dr.Phil did follow up closely with the therapists he promised he would arrange for her & the children and that the Mom & the children went.  It's easy to dispise such shallow people; but, hopefully, the professionals Dr.Phil sent them to will help this mother to change her priorities & begin the healing process for Victoria.  If Victoria's father is not in a position to assist in anyway positive in this therapy process and this mother doesn't change, I agree, maybe she should think seriously of giving her up for adoption.  My husband and I would willingly take her on a dime! But remaining with her Mom and sister, if the situation can be changed, would, of course, be the best. I hope at sometime Dr.Phil will give us an update on Victoria's progress. I'm praying it will be a change for the better.

June 6, 2006, 1:29 pm CDT

UNBELIEVABLE

I would love to adopt Victoria and show her what a loving, caring home is like.  I'm the mother of two little ones and I am still stunned with this woman's behavior. 

June 6, 2006, 2:38 pm CDT

I was heartbroken!?!

I could not believe the way Victoria was treated by her Mother, I was heartbroken. How could Victoria feel? I hope her abusive Mother gets the help she needs, the only person that is defective is her Mother!!  

June 6, 2006, 8:34 pm CDT

Concerned for our Future

After watching the Pretty/Ugly show, I felt really bad for Victoria. I hope that her mom wakes up, and realizes what a beautiful, wonderful, talented daughter she has. It made me realize that subconciously we all judge each other. How are we ever going to heal, and become the best world we could be if we continue to judge? My hope and prayer is for people to look past the cover of the book, and find the true beauty within. From now on, I will try to catch myself whenever I judge, and stop to rethink the situation.  

My prayers go out for Victoria for healing, strength, and that she may know that this world still has tremendous love to give.  

June 6, 2006, 9:50 pm CDT

Appearance Does Matter

Debi, you are the parent, therefore, you are the one who is buying the food, preparing the food, and deciding what to make. It is your choice to allow the girls to have fast food and your choice to allow Victoria to have large portions. I hope Debi and her girls improve with counseling. 

As far as looks are concerned, in the entertainment and fashion industries, it does matter. Also, Jay was in Las Vegas, in one of the resorts that has a mini-mall of high end shops. Appearance does make a difference in how you are treated at the nicer hotels in LV, i.e., better service, getting drinks, food, and shows comped and faster check-in. 

I am on the very attractive side and look years younger. I frequently get attention from men and sometimes looks from men who are with their girlfriends or wives. For some reason, foreigners especially favor the more attractive, slim women. 

June 7, 2006, 8:57 am CDT

Outrage!

I cannot believe that  people like this are allowed to procreate! Both of those children should be taken away from "that woman". She is evil! I hope social services got involved after that show.

June 7, 2006, 9:55 am CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

I think it was a pretty impressive show. They confirmed what I learned in the past couple of years. Yes! People dó judge on looks.   

For me, I listen to rock & metal music, I wear black most of the time, and I have spikes (hairstyle)  

I get many different reactions. When I talk on the internet or in real life to people who listen to the same music, or have the same style, I get reactions like: 'wow, your hair is awesome!', 'I like your clothes', 'you're so pretty'  

But when I'm on school, or on the street, people send me certain glances or stare at me. On school I'm pretty much the only one who wears much black and/or listens to metal. (It's a small school) They already give me names before even knowing me, when I pass people they call me 'gothic', 'ugly',  or something like that. Some people don't really want to talk to me because of my  apperance.  

I don't really care what people think of me, I'm just me. I dislike people who label others and have judgements before even knowing them. I'm feeling happy while wearing the clothes I like, listening to the mucis I like. Right, I like the music, other people don't have to like my style, neither my music. But they could just let me be,  I don't know why people don't accept it.  

But I once got threatened  'cause of my apperiance. It was quite scary. The person claims that he would kick me off my bike and called me 'cancergoth'. Fortunatly he didn't do anything bad, but it reminded me that there come certain risks with the fact that I choose to be/ are  'different' .   

I think it's pretty much the same with people who are not that pretty. Yes, it's a different situation, but some of the feelings and judgements are similar.   

I wanted to write so much more, but I just can't think of the words right now.  

June 7, 2006, 10:45 am CDT

And I get good service by being a nice person

Quote From: kat200

Debi, you are the parent, therefore, you are the one who is buying the food, preparing the food, and deciding what to make. It is your choice to allow the girls to have fast food and your choice to allow Victoria to have large portions. I hope Debi and her girls improve with counseling. 

As far as looks are concerned, in the entertainment and fashion industries, it does matter. Also, Jay was in Las Vegas, in one of the resorts that has a mini-mall of high end shops. Appearance does make a difference in how you are treated at the nicer hotels in LV, i.e., better service, getting drinks, food, and shows comped and faster check-in. 

I am on the very attractive side and look years younger. I frequently get attention from men and sometimes looks from men who are with their girlfriends or wives. For some reason, foreigners especially favor the more attractive, slim women. 

I get good service too when I go places.  I am polite and nice and friendly to people.  I am cheerful and make intelligent conversation with people and show an interest in them. I don't, and never did manipulate other people with  looks.  My skills will last a lifetime.  The girls who are batting lashes to get better service need to learn other skills too. Otherwise they will be coming up empty when their looks fade into oblivion.

June 7, 2006, 11:11 am CDT

Who does she think she is???

I would imagine this message board will come alive again with the re-airing of the "Pretty Ugly" show.  I did not see it the first time, but caught it last night.  

This piece of trash mother thinks her older daughter is beautiful "just like mommy"??  Are you kidding me??  She needs her teeth fixed, and she is so skinny her face is sunken in.  In my line of work, I see a lot of methamphetamine (a.k.a. "crank") users, and this mother looks "crank skinny".  This could contribute to her irrational behavior.  CPS should test her for drug use.  And, off the subject of beauty, she needs to enroll in classes to learn the proper use of the English language!  

Please, please, dear Lord, help these little girls, especially Victoria.  As far as their mother is concerned, I could care less if she rots in hell!!  

June 7, 2006, 11:16 am CDT

Did you break your arm patting yourself on the back???

Quote From: kat200

Hope the cast comes off soon, wouldn't want you to feel you are no longer "on the very attractive side".  

First | Prev | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | Next | Last