Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 7, 2006, 12:34 pm CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: drmitch

I'd like to know who these people are who have made you think your not pretty. I don't like to have negative people like that in my life. I hope you know your opinion of your self is what counts most. Remember if you think your not pretty other people may think it to. You shouldn't say that because other people may find you attractive. Besides there are always ways to enhance what you have to feel better

I totally agree.  I also believe if you have confidence, it shows.  If you don't, it makes 

you appear insecure and automatically unattractive...that can ALWAYS be changed. 

But people should definitely stay away from negative vibes...  

June 7, 2006, 12:49 pm CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: feedat

Hope the cast comes off soon, wouldn't want you to feel you are no longer "on the very attractive side".  

I expressed my feelings to that same poster.  See my post entitled "I get very good service too" which  shows that one can get decent service by being friendly, kind and polite. I don't think that anyone has the right to jump the line to get faster service based on their looks.  And if that is indeed happening with that poster, then if she is a decent person she wold say "these people were here before me" and she would step back.But  I suspect there is a huge sense of entitlement there that precludes being kind to other people.  But looks do fade mighty quickly, and one day there will be an enormous wake up call waiting for her.

June 7, 2006, 12:53 pm CDT

yes!

Quote From: lind24

I totally agree.  I also believe if you have confidence, it shows.  If you don't, it makes 

you appear insecure and automatically unattractive...that can ALWAYS be changed. 

But people should definitely stay away from negative vibes...  

Don't let someone elses unkind opinion become your opinion of yourself. In all likelihood that mean person is insecure him- or herself and is engaging in namecalling to attempt to bring you down to their level.  Don't let it happen.  Think of all your good traits and what you like about yourself and let that be your internal dialogue.

June 7, 2006, 1:05 pm CDT

Cinderella's Wicked Stepmother...

Quote From: dejbud

I cannot believe that  people like this are allowed to procreate! Both of those children should be taken away from "that woman". She is evil! I hope social services got involved after that show.

WOW! I definitely agree with you.  I truly cannot understand a mother turning 

her two little girls against each other like this. 

IMAGINE HER POOR DAUGHTER SEEING THIS ON TV? 

I think she (the mother) wishes she was beautiful.  Since just she's average, so she 

needs daughters (or a daughter) to be beautiful, instead.  

Intelligence means nothing to this woman.  

Victoria seems to have the best personality of three of them!!!  And, I bet she's smarter, too...   

June 7, 2006, 2:26 pm CDT

SHE MUST SEE HERSELF DIFFERENTLY...

I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS WOMAN. (NOT SURE WHY MOM THINKS SHE'S PRETTY?) 

SHE IS SO INCREDIBLY INSECURE THAT SHE WORRIES ABOUT WHAT OTHER 

PEOPLE THINK ALL THE TIME.      THAT'S JUST SAD.  

HOPEFULLY,  ALL OF THIS MENTAL ABUSE WILL ACTUALLY MAKE VICTORIA  

BOTH STRONG AND RESILIENT.  NOT THAT THIS MATTERS, BUT V IS A PRETTY GIRL AND SHE'S GOT SPUNK!   

I HOPE V HAS A VERY LOVING DAD & HE'S  HER "SOFT PLACE TO LAND"... 

June 7, 2006, 4:58 pm CDT

Shallow

I grew up being deformed in one of the worst ways a teenage girl can be..... To be very blunt, I didn't really have a right breast.  Doctors didn't know why - whether it was genetic, trauma or somehow medical related.  Being a 15 year old girl, and being so different at an age where breasts are so (supposedly) important, I was tortured at school.  Boys would shout "freak" and "grow another tit" at me when I would walk down the hallway.  Some of my childhood friends would not speak to me and would even go out of their way to be cruel. I took it all in stride, most of the time, until one day it grew to be too much and I broke down crying one night.  My family and a few of my friends were great about it, and shortly after that night my mom and I began on a very long process to get plastic surgery.  For the record, it was my decision to get plastic surgery to enlarge and even out my chest and it's a decision I stand by today, 6 years later.  (I also did the surgery for me, not for anyone else...)  

My point is not how I was treated prior to my surgery, but rather after I had it done.  I was suddenly okay for my former friends to talk to.  The boys I went to high stopped being openly cruel immediately and would flirt with me!  To this day, some of these guys will hit on me - as though they never made my life a living hell.  

I'm open about this, as I always have been.  To see my chest, you'd never really be able to tell there was something wrong with it.  And, I figure, if someone's not okay with me, then that's their problem.  Why should I be ashamed of it?    

I guess the basis of this post is that it's retarded how people get treated differently based on their appearance, when it should have nothing to do with it.  I've been on both needs - the ugly and the pretty and it's not fair.  

June 7, 2006, 5:23 pm CDT

Whats wrong with the mother?

My friend and I were watching this episode of Dr. Phil and were outraged! Victoria is a very beautiful girl and deserves to feel beautiful. The mother (don't remember her name) was very superfical and cruel. She said something about Victoria being overweight, what does she expect if she does not allow her to do activities like cheerleading and swimming. We  can not believe a mother would act like this toward her own daughter. Victoria has to deal with her skin condition everyday and has to be defensive at school, shopping, at a park, ect. Then for her to know that her mother looks at her the same way as most of the world is hard to grasp. We just couldn't believe how this woman was justifying her actions. Victoria needs some one to love her and show her that she is special. The mother needs to realize that just because Victoria has this condition doesn't make her less deserving of the things that the other daughter has. We really hope that there is a safe and loving place for this little girl to grow up in.  We were both very disturbed and just thought we would share our thoughts.  

Ps. Amber and Sue love Dr.Phil!!  

Pss. Wasn't the mother ever taught the golden rule?? How would she feel if she got treated like that? 

June 7, 2006, 6:05 pm CDT

Pretty/Ugly

Pretty IS as pretty does.

June 8, 2006, 8:39 pm CDT

To Clarify

Let me clarify what I am referring to when I mean preferial treatment. I do not mean getting helped first at a hotel when someone else is in front of me. This applies more in Las Vegas, but let's say you book a standard room in one of their nicer hotels; they may offer you the option to upgrade to a suite or they may not and, appearance does seem to make a difference in whether they ask you. Also, some guests are offered complimentry line passes with no wait to the buffet, drinks, first priority seating and reservations at shows and restaurants and faster check-in/luggage delivery if staying in a suite. Now, you can't tell me that you would not take anything complimentry if offered, especially at a 5-Star Resort. Also, I have very good manners and good etiquette, as well as most of the really attractive people I know. 

I still stand by Debi needing to limit what Victoria eats--don't complain if you are the one buying the food because you are causing her weight problem! There is really no excuse to be overweight. 

June 9, 2006, 4:32 am CDT

good manners?

Quote From: kat200

Let me clarify what I am referring to when I mean preferial treatment. I do not mean getting helped first at a hotel when someone else is in front of me. This applies more in Las Vegas, but let's say you book a standard room in one of their nicer hotels; they may offer you the option to upgrade to a suite or they may not and, appearance does seem to make a difference in whether they ask you. Also, some guests are offered complimentry line passes with no wait to the buffet, drinks, first priority seating and reservations at shows and restaurants and faster check-in/luggage delivery if staying in a suite. Now, you can't tell me that you would not take anything complimentry if offered, especially at a 5-Star Resort. Also, I have very good manners and good etiquette, as well as most of the really attractive people I know. 

I still stand by Debi needing to limit what Victoria eats--don't complain if you are the one buying the food because you are causing her weight problem! There is really no excuse to be overweight. 

Constantly pointing out that you are "really  attractive" is not good etiquette and is probably a big turn-off to people who cross your path.  Learning some modesty and doing less bragging  may do you alot of good. Someday you are going to be old.  How are you going to handle life then?

First | Prev | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | Next | Last