Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 9, 2006, 12:36 pm CDT

unfair

it's horribly unfair to judge people according to their looks....how many times each one of us got to know a person who isn't that great in terms of looks,but was so beautiful inside?...and vice versa of course...!.....unfortunately,a lot of people think that looks is a major issue in life...of course,it's always nice to look tidy and neat wherever you go,cause being like that represents you....and you want all people to see you like this...but,don't make it your life goal...don't be obssesed with it,or you'll have no time to develop youself in all other aspects of life which are with no doubt more important than looking glamorous...just be happy and thankful for your health,family,and friends,and any other positive aspect in your life...work on being a better person in terms of your relationships with god,family and friends.focus more to develop your career...sadly,it does happen that a lot people prefer individuals who are more good looking than the average,but compensate that by being a hard-worker and a better human being...and then,you'll feel beauty when you reach your goals in life,even if people don't see it,YOU will know that you did it....and you don't need anyone to make you feel better about your own self.....  

June 9, 2006, 1:54 pm CDT

interesting

Quote From: kim62687

I was actually watching that episode with my mother and when he said that I was just gasped. I turned and asked her so what he'll preach it but not practice it?! Dr. Phil and his son Jay are both with extremely beautiful women. Did they ever give the one's who aren't blessed with a beautiful face a body a chance? I honestly doubt it. I respect Dr. Phil a great deal, but I feel that whole segment was hypocritical.  

-Kim 

I found your perspective very interesting.  People refer to  "inner  beauty"  as  being what is truly important, but it is difficult to reconcile that  cliche  to the clear choice of  an  "outer beauty"   as a life's companion.   That is  not  to say that one type of beauty must exclude the other, but  watching Dr. Phil parade his beautiful wife at the close of this particular show was a bit disconcerting.  And if outer beauty is not truly important and to be pursued at great length, why have we watched Oprah, an incredibly sensitive and intelligent woman who possesses great inner beauty , expend so much effort on trying to become the traditional hollywood beauty?

June 9, 2006, 6:12 pm CDT

05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: gold59bear

I can not believe that woman.  I was watching the show and was just getting angrier by the minute.  Looks aren't everything.  Debi should be grateful that she has those two precious girls.  She doesn't deserve to have them.  I just can't believe she can sit there and say she wants pretty children.  She is so superficial.  I can not understand how she can say she is embarassed to be seen with her.  I just want to jump in and slap that woman.  She doesn't understand what Dr. Phil is trying to tell her.  I totally agree with Dr. Phil in the fact that she is harming not just Victoria, but Hunter as well, with her actions.  Debi needs some desparate help.    

I couldn't have said it better.  I agree totally with you.

June 11, 2006, 7:19 pm CDT

Debi!

Debi does not realize how lucky she is that she has TWO beautiful daughters!  Victoria is more than welcome here in California where we think that she is gorgeous! 

June 13, 2006, 12:59 am CDT

Debi

Watching this show really upset me. I feel so bad for Victoria.I wish I could give her the hugs and the human touch she deserves. I don't understand how a person that carries a baby for 9 months could be so cruel.  her own flesh and blood. I wish our family could take Victoria away from such a person. There is this special makeup that could cover the parts of her skin were clothes won't. I hope by being on the show Debi has realized how wrong she has been. She has a precious child! Sad in AK.

June 16, 2006, 6:12 pm CDT

You are what you eat

Quote From: purplepain

You miss the point. The point is you simply don't know a thing about a person simply by looking at them.

This has nothing to do with what people eat. People eat what they eat and it has little to do with their character.

I think in some cases if a person is fed toxic food over a long enough period of time, it has an effect on thier brain, it gets foggy, thats why there is BRAIN FOOD, look at how many messed up people there are in the world, and what are we feeding on? Genetically modified food, I´m not missing the point, I know that some people can eat whatever and they are beautiful inside and out, but whats good for the goose inst always whats good for the gander, affordable food is poison and can contribute to poison thoughts.  While we as a society are fed white bread, white sugar and white salt, our brains are starving and things go wrong up there. There is so much that is being kept from us, like good nutrition, and when we do find it, it´s too expensive, it´s simply out of reach for the average income. I found answers to depression in omega oils and many other unusual foods, you don´t get that in fast food places and the common supermarket, not even in so called high class restaurants, dairy has PUSS in it, dont´tell me that does any good for our brain. For the most part I think that a social lack of proper nutrition is a PART of the problem, I think lets clean up the social diet and then see whats left of illness, THEN we can say, ok you cánt help it, AFTER giving mother nature all she´s got in the way of healing. Then there are medications that scare me, a LOT of them just wreak havoc on human health and do nothing for the brain or the physical condition. I agree that you don´t  know anything about a person simply by looking them but in some obvious cases, you can tell they dont take care of thier health, what do you think mad cow is? how about junkies, thats a perfect example right there, you can tell by looking at them but I dont judge them, I feel for them and wish better for them, it breaks my heart to see society in such turmoil because I´m all too familiar with it myself and am searching for answers still.  

June 16, 2006, 6:20 pm CDT

read it again

Quote From: purplepain

You miss the point. The point is you simply don't know a thing about a person simply by looking at them.

This has nothing to do with what people eat. People eat what they eat and it has little to do with their character.

Read my message again, I¨m not judgemental, I read it a second time to make sure I don´t offend anyone, I´m sorry if I offended you, I believe there is a LOT of help for our world, come on, I said I would love to have every creepy looking person prove me wrong, unfortunatley they all can´t.

June 16, 2006, 6:29 pm CDT

I also feel for Hunter

Quote From: debinak

Watching this show really upset me. I feel so bad for Victoria.I wish I could give her the hugs and the human touch she deserves. I don't understand how a person that carries a baby for 9 months could be so cruel.  her own flesh and blood. I wish our family could take Victoria away from such a person. There is this special makeup that could cover the parts of her skin were clothes won't. I hope by being on the show Debi has realized how wrong she has been. She has a precious child! Sad in AK.

Poor Victoria, yes, she´s a little angel here to teach her mom something, someday her mom will learn what she is here to learn, hopefully it is not too late. I found it very easy to judge debi, I wanted to call her debri but that doesnt feel any better inside either, that was just comming from a very angry place, it was my instant reaction. We are all here to learn from one another and life itself. It will be devastating for Hunter like Dr.Phil says when she gets out into the real world and discovers there are prettier girls out there and may get more attention then her, she may feel like, hey what about me? I´m pretty and the world can be so cruel. What if Hunter goes in a pageant or some beauty contest sure of the fact that she will win because she is the prettiest and she doesnt even make the semi finals, THAT can be heartbreaking. Hopefully Hunter developes a big heart. Stephanie in Canada but CURRENTly in Cozumel How about Whalesharks? They are ugly AND beautiful all at the same time.   

June 19, 2006, 12:53 pm CDT

93%&7%

Dear Dr. Phil,   

I remeber a time when you may have said 93% of communication is non verbal. So people who take care of themselves do get better tratment. By looks, I am fat and very ratty. I have holes in the shirt (its also gotten bleached out from welding 60+hours a week,months on end), old blue jeans. and you better beleive that I make that other 7% work for me. I always smell good (givinchi-pi is a great smell), My hair is a ways cut and finger nails trimmed. I don't cuss and act like I've got class (in my speach patterns and mannerisms). I just look like a low class criminal from the type of work I do. When I go to the store. sales people cringe at me (I'm usually burned or got some type of visible injusry). thats ok with me becasue they cannot influance me in my decisions or confuse me (sorry for the spelling I have a oklahome education). When I do have to corner 1, I start with a joke about a buddie being a highpatrolman and who he has pulled over (it eases the tension). Then when I leave the checkout lines seem shorter (go figure)  

June 27, 2006, 9:18 pm CDT

Sick Mum= suicide or an eating disorder

Quote From: kashmir766

I agree what a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EVIL woman she does not deserve to have children.

I don't think Dr.Phil  was tough enough on Debbie,for the shameful way she treats her daughter.This is nothing short of child abuse,and if it continues,I'd bet even money on Victoria being found hanging from a rope from a tree,or dying from an eating disorder.She is just setting her daughter up for self-harm.Debbie is a wicked woman.I was so angry about this I could barely speak.God help Hunner if she ever has a car accident and scars that 'perfect' face-Debbie will reject her too. 

And where is the dad in all of this??????? 

First | Prev | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | Next | Last