Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2005, 9:10 am CDT

little piece of masking tape

On the lighter side of things:  The only thing that was missing from Jay's costume was a little piece of masking tape in the center of his horn rim glasses.

September 16, 2005, 9:15 am CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

I find as a mother of three boys, that I look past thier appearance.  I think all of my children are beautiful, even with their cricked teeth, or missing teeth, or what ever it might be.  My son was born with a skin tag by his ear.  I looked past that, I didnt think he was different, I wasn't embarassed to take him out.  (I did get it removed) 

I think that mother who says her child is going to be scum should have that child taken away from her as well as her other child and put them in a loving home where she can grow up to be loved for who she is.  That is so wrong of her to do that to her child.   

September 16, 2005, 9:26 am CDT

not happy

Today's show really mad me angry.  Why does anyone have children if they are just going to ignore them or not show them love just because they don't look like they want them too?  I think that the mother's on that show should get a grip.  They have no right telling their children that they can only be pretty or they could only play with pretty people now that is just WRONG!!!  Children should be able to play with whoever they want!  Let them learn from their own mistakes.  I have a 7 month old so I haven't really got to that stage yet but I am not going to tell her that she can't play with someone just because they aren't pretty or their mother is "fat."  Dr. Phil I thought that you were really nice to those women.  If I was you I would have told them my mind.  What they are doing in WRONG!! 

Samantha 

September 16, 2005, 9:36 am CDT

Moms

Dr. Phil, 

Listening to the stories on this episode made me very upset.  It is obvious that those women grew up on the outside looking in.  By this I mean they are treating other people the way they were treated when they were younger.  Instead of joining that crowd, they should be trying to instill confidence in those who don't otherwise get that kind of treatment.  Shame on them! 

September 16, 2005, 9:41 am CDT

Mother of child in today's show

Where do I even begin? First, I have not read all of the responses and what I have to say may already be posted before so forgive me if you are reading the same type of responses as others...

I can only pray that Debbie is reading some of the responses and by now before the airing of the show has changed her horrible ways. It is obvious to me that this is a woman with low self esteem because of her transmitting this warped way of thinking onto her child.  Shame on your Debbie for allowing yourself to alienate your child in this matter. Would it be worse to have hit your child and called it physical abuse? It certainly is abuse... emotional abuse. I really hope you do not think what you are doing is ok.. and oh my gosh yes you need to change. 

I have a friend right now that has been doing this to her child for years and now her child is 17 and she babysat with for us only last night to come home to her crying after a telephone conversation with her mother in which her mother does to her the same things you are doing with your child. I feel so sorry for her and for your daughter because they must have such a low opinion of themselves because they have the cruelest mother's...I cannot believe that the both of you think that this is remotely alright to do to another human being... You need professional help Debbie and so do the girls. What you are doing to her right now will play itself out in her entire life....

September 16, 2005, 9:47 am CDT

I agree

Quote From: missjane2

Now Jay was a little scary looking in his transformation.  I think people might have been afraid of him, particularly women.
I agree.  If I were alone in the mall, and someone looking like him, approached me, I would be afraid.  He looked like a pervert.  I think Dr. Phil even said that at the end  of the show.  Women should be wary of any man regardless of his looks who tries to stop them and ask them questions.   

September 16, 2005, 10:04 am CDT

princeess for life?

It sounds like this Mom is living in a fantasy world thru the one daughter. I haven't seen the show yet, just clicked on the website and read it. Yeah, I wanted to reach in and shake the Mom up. Focus on the kids gifts and good points not just their looks.Society is not going to baby her like you and you are not doing her any favors. She could rebel later on by turning to drugs or bad behavior to break away from a mom who has WAY TOO much invested in her as A Piece of furniture or something,not a person. What if she turns out to be gay? Or dates the bad guys cause she got sick of playing princess for mommy? Think about it.  I saw it happen with a roomate of mine. (a ministers daughter) I don't even want to go there. Get two nice twin beds or bunks and get some therapy. you are depriving these 2 girls of one of the best things in life, a sister friendship they could have for life. Remember, They're going to be the ones deciding which nursing home YOU go in.

September 16, 2005, 10:07 am CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

Why are such stupid people allowed to have children,  If Victorias mom doesn't want her, why doesn't she give her to someone who does want her

September 16, 2005, 10:28 am CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: momisme2

At what I read on the show work up today.  As a mother, im beyond appaled! 

I hope to God this little girls father is watching this show and takes a copy of the tapes and transcripts to court and gets full custody of both those little girls.  What this mother is doing is called emotional/mental abuse and some one needs to act.  NOW!   

I would bet a handsome sum that this women views herself as a beauty.  Let me fill her in.  There is not a single person in America or around the world who will watch this show and see anythign but an ugly nasty evil women.   

That little girl needs protection and she needs it yesterday.  For that women to get herself thinking clearly is gonna take a whole mess of time(if possible at all) and while she is working on her sick and twisted attitude, some somebody better well had PROTECT those innocent children.   

Im so completley disgusted appaled  and shocked.  There are just no words in the English language to put my feelings into proper perspective.   SICK SICK SICK! 

I could not have said it better myself.  I was litterally screaming at my TV today because i was so mad at the things she was saying about her daughter!  I have a child and to think that someone could say some of those awful things to them is just so appalling to me!  I don't think Dr. Phil was hard enough on her, he definitely should have put her in her place because she didn't seem like she wanted to change.

September 16, 2005, 10:35 am CDT

Pretty vs. Ugly

I think looks are very important in this society. And I know first hand that you are treated differently by your looks!  I use to weigh 362 lbs. at 5' 2" and now after 21 months I weigh 134 lbs. and I can tell you I am treated much better and get help more often because of the way I look. I also know that if you have any flaws at all, people are cruel to point them out, as if you didn't know they were there.  Everything revolves around good looks. Just look in any magazine, ads or TV and you can see. They are all skinny, good looking people for the most part. Unless they are trying to get some point across that they need a frumpy person for.  I know I am sucked up into the important looks issue and it is wrong! 

Sincerely  

Tamra from Iowa 

P.S. 

I would love to be on your show having my skin removed and showing a before and after picture of it. And to show both sides of having the excess skin and its affects on people and how your treated and than having it removed and seeing how your treated by either the same people or types of people and situations. I hope you will conceder this. I could really use your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last