Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2005, 11:11 am CDT

looks and peoples reaction

Quote From: tamhalter

I think looks are very important in this society. And I know first hand that you are treated differently by your looks!  I use to weigh 362 lbs. at 5' 2" and now after 21 months I weigh 134 lbs. and I can tell you I am treated much better and get help more often because of the way I look. I also know that if you have any flaws at all, people are cruel to point them out, as if you didn't know they were there.  Everything revolves around good looks. Just look in any magazine, ads or TV and you can see. They are all skinny, good looking people for the most part. Unless they are trying to get some point across that they need a frumpy person for.  I know I am sucked up into the important looks issue and it is wrong! 

Sincerely  

Tamra from Iowa 

P.S. 

I would love to be on your show having my skin removed and showing a before and after picture of it. And to show both sides of having the excess skin and its affects on people and how your treated and than having it removed and seeing how your treated by either the same people or types of people and situations. I hope you will conceder this. I could really use your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

You people have no idea what part in life looks represent. I am a cancer survivor and the cancer was in the facial area and I have fought it all my life and I am 48 now. Your show did not even touch the truth. I know first hand how people treat you because of your looks and Jay dressing up looking scruffy and unkept isn't even near what I go through on a daily basis because of how I look.  I think you ought to take a real look at it sometime. You ever touch that subject before? Cancer and what it can truly do? I do love your show and watch it as often as I can. Reality bites and you have no idea. Thanks

September 16, 2005, 11:12 am CDT

There is always hope

Dr. Phil, My heart goes out to the little girl with the Mom that doesn't have a clue. Please keep us posted on Victoria. I hope her father is active in her life and makes her feel like his little princess. 

September 16, 2005, 11:25 am CDT

Victoria

All I know is I could take up young Victoria and make her mine.    That mother has zero idea of how blessed she really is to have such a wonderful little girl.  Mom needs to get herself to house of God...

September 16, 2005, 12:23 pm CDT

Pretty like me?!

Oh,good God!

This woman is in the twilight zone somewheres...

Now that she has admitted to treating her daughter like a zero,will the state step in and do something,like perhaps put her in a home where she'll be loved?Get her out of that abusive home.

Please.someone,save that precious child.

September 16, 2005, 12:23 pm CDT

This woman should not be a mother

She should not be allowed to have these two children.  She is scarring them for life.  I can't even imagine what the relationship is between the sisters.  When Victoria grows up she is going to hate her mother if her mother doesn't change her attitude soon.  It's no wonder she eats, aside from her mother giving her food to make up for her inadequacy as a mother, it's probably the only comfort and love she gets.  I only hope her father treats her better. I hope Dr. Phil can help Victoria's mother and Victoria. Please keep us informed Dr. Phil.

September 16, 2005, 12:33 pm CDT

What is wrong with that picture.?

Who does this person think she is to treat her daughter badly because she might not fit her standards of "beauty"? This girl didn's ask to be brought into this world, she didn't ask for the disease she has that discolors her skin, all this girl wants is to know she is loved unconditionally!!!!! This mother is mentally abusing both her children and something should be legally done to her. God forbid what if the "pretty" child has an accident that leaves her scarred? What will she be thought of then by her "loving mother". All children ( if you are lucky enough to have them) deserve to be loved, cared for, adored, and honored!!!  This woman really mad me furious, and I am sure I am not alone in this feeling. She does not deserve to have these precious children. 

Thanks so much for giving me the chance to blow my top on here. I really dont feel better because I didn't get the chance to face her in person, but I got the chance to say something to others who feel the same way. Kim Mays 

September 16, 2005, 12:36 pm CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

Did it occur to anyone on the staff that what this woman is doing is child abuse and she should be reported to the child protective services in whichever state she resides? The little girls needs to be taken away while Mommie Dearest receives counseling for her numerous issues. She's making the child sleep on the floor albeit on a mattress. The other child is going to get the idea that she can treat her sister as her menial servent, and will also be ashamed of her. The next step will be in a cage in the basement so she can't get out of the house and embarass the family.

September 16, 2005, 12:38 pm CDT

Pretty vs Ugly

This show has made me more angry than I have been in a very long time!  How can anyone consider these women Mothers?  They are NOT and never have been.  The views of these women is what is wrong in our country today. 

I am a mother of a 18year old daughter that has a disability - I hope to god this my child NEVER comes in contact with these children or their so called mothers.  I only have 1 thing to say to them......they and their so called perfect children are only 1 car accident away from not being perfect.  Can I assume that if something where to happen to them that they would want love and understanding from their family, friends and their community?  Or would they rather they be treated they way that they are treating others no to mention their our not-so perfect child. 

September 16, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

gross

These women on this show are shocking. I hope they get the help they desperately need. Their shallowness and low low self esteem was appalling. They way the first woman treated both of her children was just plain gross. I hope the proper authorities were called and someone will put a stop to her abuse. It makes me sick, to think of the HELL I  went through with fertility medication and the waiting game to see an undeserving mother act in such an imamature and selfish way.

September 16, 2005, 12:40 pm CDT

Dr Phil Show.

Doctor Phil. As you know I like women aswell and girls aswell. I just notice that  Jay went undercov 

er to find out that beautyful is better then ugly. I think Jay Girlfriend Erica is looking good. I do have a 

girlfriend name Suzanne  is still looking good to me. Suzanne is 53 years old then me. Good 

luck to Jay McGraw. Your friend Russell From Arvada, Colorado.----------------------------------------------- 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last