Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2005, 12:41 pm CDT

Pretty/ Ugly

Quote From: crystallyn

All I know is I could take up young Victoria and make her mine.    That mother has zero idea of how blessed she really is to have such a wonderful little girl.  Mom needs to get herself to house of God...

I tell you what, when I was watching this woman talk about her youngest, Victoria, I wanted to jump through my screen. How can you EVER think that way about a CHILD? And I agree with Dr. Phil. That beautiful young girl was comforting herself with food, because her mother was rejecting her. That woman doesn't DESERVE to have Victoria as a daughter.  

I am one of those kind of people that gets rejected because of the way I look. I'm fat, don't think I'm that attractive, and I don't have many friends. Because people like to look at the OUTSIDE of me. I have even been rejcted by a guy because I weighed more then him-and he told me that that was the reason. I found comfort in food, because I couldn't find it elsewhere.  

Dr. Phils son hit it right on the head about Victoria. If her mother keeps treating her like she is different, Victoria will start to believe it. And this is where depression starts to kick in. If she has no self esteem, she will start believe she has no point. It is truly sad, because a CHILD should not be treated like this. This mother DISGUSTS me.  

September 16, 2005, 12:42 pm CDT

Pretty/ugly

Quote From: jwebb0524

I could not have said it better myself.  I was litterally screaming at my TV today because i was so mad at the things she was saying about her daughter!  I have a child and to think that someone could say some of those awful things to them is just so appalling to me!  I don't think Dr. Phil was hard enough on her, he definitely should have put her in her place because she didn't seem like she wanted to change.
I was also very appalled by that woman, I think that CPS needs to be involved in her life.  I work with women and children that are victims of Domestic Violence and I see first hand what emotional abuse can do to a child.  This is one of the worst kind of Abuse that anyone can inflict on a child especially a mother.  She is robbing her of her self esteem and setting her up to fail in life.

September 16, 2005, 12:42 pm CDT

Shallow is an understatment

First let me state that I praying for a sweet innocent little child Victoria, her sister and yes even her mother. Too bad this woman couldn't buy a clue with the neon signs Dr. Phil gave her.  Beauty starts from within, there is no beauty within this woman. I do not know where to start short of having BOTH of her children removed from her custody.  She should NOT be raising any child. Dr Phil I do not think even you can aid this shallow empty woman. I feel sad for this woman to not know how to love her own child.  

I was always told when I was younger that I was beautiful and into my adult years as well but my parents always told me it was also my heart and my mind that made me more beautiful than words could ever express. I am grateful for that, because beauty fades, but your heart can only grow with time as your spirit matures.  

Had I not been raised with the foundation that my parents gave me I would never have made it through past few years. I am diagnosed with MS in 2002 and find myself now in a wheelchair.  I have never looked at my life as any less valuable or less meaningful because of my situation. It also allows me to do my most important job well, raising a caring, compassionate, precocious daughter. 

This mother should rethink her position beacuse you ever know what life has in store for you in the future. The superficial things that she values so much may one day be lost to her. Then what would she do? 

September 16, 2005, 12:45 pm CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

OK, I agree with everything Dr Phil is saying about treating everyone equal, but if I saw a guy hanging around a woman's botique looking at bikinis/underwear I would be a little freaked out too.

September 16, 2005, 12:49 pm CDT

This is outrageous

Victoria's mom was obviously young and is very uneducated by listening to her grammer. She was probaly a bully in school. I think social services should get involved. I have two special needs children. My son Joey is 4 and has a lop ear, facial paralysis on the right side and I find him beautiful. My daughter is a little flabby with her low muscle tone called hypotonia, but everyone comments on her beauty. She smiles and is always happy. If a parent cannot get past a child's looks then how is that child going to survive emotionally in this world? Please don't let this child suffer. Also the mom that doesn't allow her child around unattractive children needs to look in the mirror. I would never feel that way if I saw her on the street, but her attitude makes her downright ugly. 

September 16, 2005, 12:51 pm CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

That woman who is embarrassed to be seen with her daughter should be ashamed of herself. 

My husband and I  are trying to adopt a child.  We would be proud to have that child in our home  

and shower her with love and praise and everything that children deserve. 

September 16, 2005, 12:52 pm CDT

i disagree with you

Quote From: karen_rd

OK, I agree with everything Dr Phil is saying about treating everyone equal, but if I saw a guy hanging around a woman's botique looking at bikinis/underwear I would be a little freaked out too.
ok you think it is freaky that he was looking at bikins and underwear but what about when jay was himself they had no problem with him being in there and they werent freaked out. and dr phil said that jay looked a little perved when he was dressed up well what if some guy actually looked like that and he wasnt perverted so i disagree with dr phil on that because he was judging his son also

September 16, 2005, 12:56 pm CDT

Pretty/Ugly

Oh my goodness....I still cant believe what I just watched.  She has NOOO clue about parenting. This poor little girl doesn't even have a chance with a mother like this.  She talks about being SCUM if you aren't pretty, smart,ect.........well let me say I think she is SCUM.  I hope she can change, but if not I hope they take her out of that enviroment.  

I have two little girls and I can't imagine treating one any different than the other!!  What is wrong with this women.  I hope the Dad is watching, and steps in to help this precious little girl.   

September 16, 2005, 12:59 pm CDT

Just too sad

While watching the show today, I couldnt help but get mad at both the mothers.
How dare that mother treat her child as being beneath her, my lord this woman gave birth to her and treats her in that manner.  May God watch over that young precious child she will be n my prayers for a long time to come.  She is also not doing to well for the older child.  This woman in my opinion is abusing her children mentally and emotionally.
The other lady who wouldnt allow her child to play with other children who did not meet her expectations.  I often wonder what the world is coming to.
I unfortunately am one who is what they would call unattractive, and even my last picture taken was in the 7 grade, and no more after that.
I truely feel for

September 16, 2005, 1:05 pm CDT

pretty

i saw the show and i can relate to this. i have a small mole on my nose and everytime someone sees me thye look at me weird and some people comment loudly. one time i went to a neighbors party this little girl i dont even know asked me what is that on ur nose u look like a freak. i was about to cry but held it in her father heard what she said and told her that , that wasnt nice she was about 6 or 7 years old. i felt really ugly.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last