Message Boards

Topic : 05/30 Pretty/Ugly

Number of Replies: 1324
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 09, 2005, 03:43:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 09/16/05) How important do you think looks really are? And, do you think attractive people get treated better in society? Dr. Phil's son, Jay, goes out in  disguise to see if people really do judge a book by its cover. You won't believe the results, nor the response that surprised him the most! Plus, Debi favors her older daughter because she’s "beautiful" and treats her youngest like "dirt" because she's "fat and unattractive." Can Dr. Phil help her love both girls equally? And, Michelle only lets her daughter play with pretty kids on the playground because she equates beauty with success in life. Will she learn to re-evaluate her standards? Tell us your thoughts on today's show.

Find out what happened on the show.

More May 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2005, 6:32 am CDT

09/16 Pretty/Ugly

Quote From: yuntao

What does it mean?
 I've always thought it means that even the most beautiful person can  seem ugly  if they  act ugly.  For example, I have met outwardly pretty people who have been so nasty that it detracts from their looks entirely, and ugly people that I think of as so beautiful and attractive because they are such wonderful, funny people.  I also know  some beautiful people who are also beautiful inside who I think shine.   No matter what the body looks like, its the inner person that is really the one to look for.

September 16, 2005, 6:46 am CDT

Wake up

Dr Phil  

I am a mother of one child and i love my child more the my life it self  

so i hope you understand how mad this so called mother made me  

she is the kind of person that don't need a child at all and for her to say thing to her little girl  

the way she has its i just cant understand that .. 

but i do want to say this i have always been told god can take away  

what you love most to show you that he is boss  

i just hope this Lady's child don't have to pay the price for what she has done  

and what i want to know more then anything is how can you talk or treat your on child like this  

your child is for you to love and you take care and this lady don't know how to do one or the other  

and if she don't love this child the way she is there are people out here that would people like me  

i just pray that what she has done has not done damage for the rest of that child's life  

Dr Phil please please help that child understand that she is fine just the way she is  

September 16, 2005, 7:10 am CDT

Thank God for a child with a heart

After seeing the show this morning all I could do was just thank God for my 9 year old son!  He is a child that is taught to love and respect everyone, no matter how they look.  My son has the biggest heart I have ever seen a child have.  He is very sensitive to others and their needs.  This is a child who 9 1/2 times out of 10 befriends children that aren't the most attractive, that don't come from very good families, or that don't live in the finest homes or dress in designer clothes.  My husband is a doctor, I am a stay-at-home mom of 3.  My 9 year old, my 3 year old son, and my 19 month old daughter.  We DO live in the nicer neighborhood, we DO have the nicer cars, we DO have the nicer clothes.  We don't care about those things.  I care that my children are growing up in a horrible world filled with hate and disgust but yet they are taught to love and respect others and their feelings.  The reason my son befriends the children that he does is because they are the nicer ones.  They seem to also care for others and their feelings.  Those are the children I hope my children keep as friends throughout their lives.  I pray that this "ugly" world doesn't turn their hearts bitter and that they know who their "true" friends are always.  I welcome any comments. 

September 16, 2005, 7:15 am CDT

Been There

I had my own unplanned opportunity to experience the difference  that appearance can make in the way people treat individuals, AND how that changes the way that person feels about herself.  Many years ago I had to fly to a different city the day after I had an injury to both knees.  I pulled something in my knees, and in spite of ice packs all night, the next day I could barely walk.   

I was young, nice looking, wt/ht appropriate, but my manner of walking with the injury reminded me of a classmate I remembered who had Cerebral Palsy and who heavy braces up to her hips.  The stares, and then the looking away was so new to me.  I KNEW  in a few days my knees would be ok, but after about an hour or so of that reaction, I started FEELING totally different about myself.  I started feeling like a crippled person who would always be that way.   

It wasn't fun to feel all that, but it helped me a lot.  When I see someone who is different, disfigured, etc.  I make it a point to not avoid eye contact, and smile, just as I would to anyone else.   

Now if it were someone who was creepy-looking like Jay was in his experiment, I don't think I would do that.  As a woman, I don't encourage creepy-looking men.   

September 16, 2005, 7:15 am CDT

Ugly Mom

The ugliest person on today's show is this mother.  She is lucky to have 2 healthy, beautiful children, and if she cannot treat them the same she does not deserve either of them.  I hope the father of these girls see this and does something about this.  This woman is unbelievable!

September 16, 2005, 7:19 am CDT

Was Dr. Phil making a

I just wondered if anyone else noticed it or not but at the end of the show Jay and Dr. Phil were talking and Dr. Phil said...."well ya did look kinda creepy" Now was he judging? Even though it was set up and it was his son and it is his show,I thought that was "judging" when he said he looked kinda creepy.So in other words....if he didn't know him and saw him on the street he would think he was "creepy" too? I love you Dr. Phil....and I admire you very much....I just think since that was the subject....how people treat other people by the way they look you judged him! Sorry....(you handsome devil you) LOL

September 16, 2005, 7:20 am CDT

Today's Show

I would suggest this mother walk through a cemetary sometime and see all the markers with childrens names on them and then talk with these parents maybe then she would she exactly how lucky she is to have her daughter.    I only wish my daughter was here to have any kind of weight problems.  She does not deserve to have either child.

September 16, 2005, 7:21 am CDT

Debi needs to get a grip!!!!!!

Dr. Phil, I Have Never been more outraged as I Have in this Lady, Debi.  How could she love more child than the other!    I have two children both totally different in there on way.  I Love both more than anything in the world, one could be 300 pounds and the other the " perfect" weight , my feelings would never change!  This show made me get off the couch and reply, something I have never did.                                Angry in Georgia!

September 16, 2005, 7:21 am CDT

Pretty Outside/Ugly Inside

Just because a woman may be beautiful and "endowed," does not mean she is beautiful inside.  A good example, told to me by a good friend: Her best friend (male), began dating his employee, knowing that she used men.  The woman openly proclaimed she "used," men to get what she wanted and then dumped them when she was through.  Yet, her friend, was drawn by this female's, outer beauty and how she "showed off," her body, even at work.  While her friend finally had the "balls," to dump this woman, he had already had unprotected sex with her numerous times.  Feelings were hurt on both sides and my friend ended up losing this man as her best friend, because she dared to speak up and forced him to see what this female really was--pretty on the outside, but ugly from the inside. 

How sad that he chose to look only at the cover and what he could get out of a relationship.  How sad indeed that we as a society, only "gaze," at a person's looks and do not try to discover what is really inside their heart and soul.  In the end, it really is what is on the inside that makes a person beautiful.  Beauty lasts for only a season and when it is gone, what do these individual have?  Nothing! 

Enough said--  

September 16, 2005, 7:24 am CDT

Pretty crazy

I just am in shock watching  your show about having ugly kids and not loving them the same.  That mother makes me so sad.  She does not deserve her kids. (the one with the long hair and bangs and the daughter with the skin disorder).  I just want  to scoop up that little girl and give her a great big hug.  The mom is crazy.  Fix her Dr. Phil. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last