Message Boards

Topic : 09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

Number of Replies: 438
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 03:59:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil intervenes with a woman who's anger is out of control. Michelle calls herself a "raging lunatic,"  and says her family is falling apart because of it. When something sets her off, Michelle will go to the extreme: Following drivers on the road, screaming obscenities at her husband until he flees the house, and yelling at her daughters until they are physically sick and cowering in the closet. Michelle reveals her worst fear and Dr. Phil steps in to save this family. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 19, 2005, 6:37 am CDT

Been there and lived through it!

Dr. Phil I wish you were around 20 yrs ago. Thank goodness you are there for those children now. As a person who lived through a life of child abuse from both parents for numerous years, I would like to say thankyou! For people who have never walked in these shoes, they can not imagine what one has to go through. I use to believe as a child that the beatings was the worst part but now as an adult I now know that the mental abuse was worse. I was very lucky at the age of 18 I was able to escape and have to never looked back. Now I am a single parent of a beautiful, bright and loving daughter. Each day I wake up and set goals for myself to live my life totally different than the way  my parents did. I pray and believe that I will never be like my parents because there is no reason why an animal should live that way let along a human being! Thanks Dr. Phil for intervining. Atleast you took the first step when no one else would! 

September 19, 2005, 6:44 am CDT

Disgusted and Outraged...

I cannot believe that as a mother you can sit there and justify your actions as being ok!  You are not fit to be a parent and I would highly recommend that CPS take your children out of your home immediately!   

I was in your daughter's shoes.  I've hidden in the closet!  I've been afraid that if my mother even saw me she would go into a rage so I hid!  I hid not only to protect myself but to also keep her from being angry over something else I may have missed!  You are crazy!  The damaging words you are saying and have said will echo in your children's minds for years to come.  Even if you stop saying things now they will still replay that over and over in their own minds!  If you want a future relationship with your daughter  you need to seek professional help!   

My mother suffered from Bi-Polar Manic depression.  I was mentally and physically abused.  She never received help and neither did I.  We have no relationship.  She is not invited to my wedding.  I hold no good feelings towards her at all.  I despise everything about her.  I am afraid to have children and become like her.   

You are disgusting and ill and you should not be a mother!  A cat is a better mother and nuturer than you are! 

brady1177  

September 19, 2005, 6:55 am CDT

09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

Quote From: sliderkta

Dear. Dr. Phil,  

Finally, a show that everyone can sink their teeth into!  It's about high time that all parents in the U.S. know the difference between "discipline" and "child abuse".  

I come from family of 5, and experienced abuse (like these kids) from both parents. This woman is teaching her children to get their way by bullying others. I'd be more than happy to go on stage and tell people like her what happens to kids who are raised in these situations.  

At the age of 14, I fought back like a vigilante--physically, verbally, and with the Word of God at my side. My sisters joked about me being like Joan of Arc, but it was enough to scare these people down. Eventually with the help of my grandparents and sisters, the violent, "Bonnie and Clyde" marriage ended in 1998.  I know that my case was a lucky one because I didn't see the jail. Other kids living in these types of situations are much more violent. I heard about a case on the East Coast, where a boy axed his abusive father to death. Others shoot, strangle, or poison the abusers. Heck, when the Menendez brothers killed their parents, they told the world about how they had been abused. Having come from such a situation, it's very hard not to believe it. 

Furthermore, there needs to be a federal law that says that all abusive parents should be banned from adopting kids or having babies. All Abusive parents should be forced by law to have hysterectomies and vasectomies. There also need to be an Abusive Parents Registry, just like what the sex offenders are subjected to. I think these measures would get parents to think about the differences between child abuse and discipline. It's a bit extreme, but there are too many parents doing the same thing and claiming they're just "diciplining" the child. This type of thing is an EPIDEMIC.  

Child Protective Services (CPS), medical professionals, and authorities can't handle the number of abuse cases that come in every week.  

As Pastor Casey Treat once said, "You abuse your power, you lose your power." If parents know there are consequences for their actions (other than kids getting violent), they would be least likely to commit abuse in their homes. As Americans, we should not tolerate this. 

--KS Randall 

NOTE TO ALL FLAMERS:  Don't like this?  Skip the message and don't respond. Don't even think about posting a message like "Well, you put this on the message board" because you aren't going to get a response. I'm entitled to my own opinion by U.S. law (and this is a U.S. site) and you ain't going to be changing anything real soon. I refuse to talk to anyone who just wants to start flame wars. If you need to flame someone, go to http://www.blogger.com OR http://www.livejournal.com . Peace. 

All Abusive parents should be forced by law to have hysterectomies and vasectomies??? Wow, Thank God all  people too are protected from a law like that. I think that's the problem most the time, The government needs to get out of our houses and worry what's happening else where. A lot of people think spanking their children is abusive. I PERSONALLY do NOT! I do not beat, or abuse my children and I believe that spankings are fine if done properly. To some that would be ABUSE and so therefor you are saying I need to have a hysterctomy??? or my husband have a vasectomy?  That is just outrageous! I do NOT believe anyone should be Abused in any way, shape or form but our Government is in our home on every issue from what is abuse, what is not, what is proper disipline to what is not, and that is only a touch of how the government is in our home. How many rooms you must have to house your children ( there was a day when there would be MANY children in one room and it was common and they turned out JUST FINE. My mother came from a family of 6 and Guess what? She shared a room and was just fine and made it through life happy.) To say that they should label people as abusive parents is just crazy. You would have everyone who doesn't think abortion is right or ok, saying Well, I think that if you have an abortion you should have a hysterectomy. You are way off . I could go on and on with examples but I won't! I think you get the point. 

As for your Flamers Comment? YOU CAN NOT list things that are VERY debatable and that oppinionated and not expect people to NOT have a comment or two. This is a message board, if you did not want people to react one way or another you can have an opinion and not post it if you don't want to know what others are thinking. 

September 19, 2005, 7:26 am CDT

09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

I honestly don't think the woman on today's show has a medical problem. In my opinion she is a hateful, mean, cruel & disgusting bully who needs to have her children put into a home with love and understanding. These girls need to know that ALL families don't live like this and that they don't have to either. Don't think much of the father either.  They both use language in front of and directed towards these girls that no 7 & 11 yr. olds should have to hear, especially from their own parents.  I realize that Dr. Phil offered to get her help but what about the father and the girls? IMO  they all need help. What we wittnessed on this show today is child abuse....no if's and's or but's. There is no justification or excuse for it. PERIOD!! 

September 19, 2005, 7:29 am CDT

Get Those Kids Out Of There!

This woman is absolutely disgusting! I'm not saying she's beyond help but please, Dr. Phil, don't leave the children in there to suffer a minute longer. Get them out! 

September 19, 2005, 7:42 am CDT

NO NO NO

Quote From: whttgrs

Dr. Phil, 

I have raised 5 children.  Two of which went into drama acts such as the young one on  

Monday's previews.  There are two sides to every story and unless the viewers see the other side     

of the story at what caused this family outbreak, snap judgements shouldn't be made.  With my  

two drama children, psychiatric help was the course we took.  It seemed to help quite well.  Not  

only for them but for ourselves as well.  The child could be acting out more due to cameras being  

there.  This, we will never know.  I'm looking forward to seeing the show  

We do not have to see how the children act to know that this woman is mean & hateful. There is no justification for treating children in this manner. PERIOD!!! 

September 19, 2005, 7:47 am CDT

Look before you leap!

I was really surprised to see a lot of people posting about this show based soley on the preview.  We all know these previews are to spark an interest and we have to watch the whole show before we get caught up in discussing in and "judging" each other's posts.   

The 7 year old girl in the show was not a "drama child".  Her body is responding to the HORRENDOUS ABUSE that her parents,( dad is not an innocent bystander here), are heaping on her. She is not allowed to express her feelings and so her body reacts for her by  becoming physically ill.  

A thought I had and would like to know is does,  Mom ever show any love to this child and her older sister?   

Yes, I realize that this woman was abused as a child and does not want to appear "weak" (her own words). THIS DOES NOT MAKE WHAT SHE IS DOING ACCEPTABLE!!  I'm shocked at how anyone can take her side. I'm sure the people reading this are aware of the cycle of violence/abuse in families.  She is an adult now not a child.  She has become a bully and needs to accept the responsibility for her actions.  I am shocked that she is not in jail because of this.  She has acknowledged physically attacking total strangers!   

Dr. Phil is offering everything this woman needs to get control, even paying for the specialized treatment she will need. I hope that she will accept it and make the changes she needs to in her life.  

September 19, 2005, 7:53 am CDT

safe place

Dr. Phil,

Those girls needs love, support, lots of hugs, and Respect!  Our door is open as a safe place to go so the Mother and father can get help.  The Father needs to do more.. And the mother  needs to get away from those girls!!!!!

I am so afraid she is going to kill those girls some day... Just because bad things happen to her when she was little, She should not want that to happen to her girls...

Alice

September 19, 2005, 7:56 am CDT

out of control mom

I BEG YOU DR PHIL, please don't let these parents take these kids back home yet. She really needs a lot of help, which i know that you will help provide. This woman is soooooo out of control. These poor kids are in need of great help and protection. I consider myself to be a tough mom, but she is beyond tough. I will pray for this family. Thanks for showing the world what abusing your kids looks like. I don't think that a lot of parents understand until they SEE what they look like in action.

September 19, 2005, 7:57 am CDT

09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

Quote From: lindaluej

I honestly don't think the woman on today's show has a medical problem. In my opinion she is a hateful, mean, cruel & disgusting bully who needs to have her children put into a home with love and understanding. These girls need to know that ALL families don't live like this and that they don't have to either. Don't think much of the father either.  They both use language in front of and directed towards these girls that no 7 & 11 yr. olds should have to hear, especially from their own parents.  I realize that Dr. Phil offered to get her help but what about the father and the girls? IMO  they all need help. What we wittnessed on this show today is child abuse....no if's and's or but's. There is no justification or excuse for it. PERIOD!! 

I couldn't have said it better myself! 

AMEN 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last