Message Boards

Topic : 09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

Number of Replies: 438
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 03:59:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil intervenes with a woman who's anger is out of control. Michelle calls herself a "raging lunatic,"  and says her family is falling apart because of it. When something sets her off, Michelle will go to the extreme: Following drivers on the road, screaming obscenities at her husband until he flees the house, and yelling at her daughters until they are physically sick and cowering in the closet. Michelle reveals her worst fear and Dr. Phil steps in to save this family. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 19, 2005, 8:00 am CDT

hit the nail on the head

Quote From: lindaluej

I honestly don't think the woman on today's show has a medical problem. In my opinion she is a hateful, mean, cruel & disgusting bully who needs to have her children put into a home with love and understanding. These girls need to know that ALL families don't live like this and that they don't have to either. Don't think much of the father either.  They both use language in front of and directed towards these girls that no 7 & 11 yr. olds should have to hear, especially from their own parents.  I realize that Dr. Phil offered to get her help but what about the father and the girls? IMO  they all need help. What we wittnessed on this show today is child abuse....no if's and's or but's. There is no justification or excuse for it. PERIOD!! 

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I just can't stand to think that they will even have a chance to go home to their kids tonight(to scoop up the adoptive kid and give a hug and tell her that he loves her). These kids need to be removed from this sick and insane environment until the parents prove that they have changed.  

September 19, 2005, 8:05 am CDT

Please Help These Kids

Dr. Phil, if you've ever done anything, please please please, get these girls out of this situation with their dad and monster (she doesn't deserve the title "mom").  You need to have that woman removed from that house.  The dad and girls shouldn't have to leave, she needs to be removed.  There isn't anything in this world that a child does that hasn't been taught to them.  I'm am so outraged right now that I can not think straight!  I want to drive to my girls' schools just to hug them and tell them how much I love them both, but that can wait until they come home because I make sure they hear those words and know I mean it everyday.......before school, after school, at bedtime.  Helping that lunatic is one thing, but helping those girls is something that can not wait.  It is heart breaking to watch this show.

September 19, 2005, 8:07 am CDT

Hope Dr. Phil Can Help

I am really scared for these children. I myself was an emotional abused child by my stepmother and then by my stepfather. But by no means have I ever went as far as this women has with her anger I received help after my son was born and I believe this is what she needs as well I did take the meds but you have to give them time to work it seems to me that she didn't do that.. The husband needs to do exactly what Dr. Phil is telling him to do no matter if the mother gets angry over it or not. SHE is a bully and I just hope that she listened to Dr.Phil and does the work to get better. As of right now I don't see it happening because she is a person that doesn't want to hear what she is doing wrong. 

September 19, 2005, 8:08 am CDT

NEEDS MENTAL HOSPITAL

Quote From: lindaluej

We do not have to see how the children act to know that this woman is mean & hateful. There is no justification for treating children in this manner. PERIOD!!! 

I agree.  I can't believe that someone would try and justify this cruel mothers behavior.  That is what is wrong w/ the world today (murders, sexual abuse) people like you treating CHILDREN like they are scum and they grow up w/ the same rage and anger.  The mother in this show needs to be in a mental hospital and through treatment before she is allowed to even look at her children.

September 19, 2005, 8:09 am CDT

Mom is crying out help her

A multi-facited approach needs to be taken here, physical and behavior modification for all the family.  The mom also needs to have a hormone profile to see if she is out of balance to have such rage.  I too suffered with such a rage until my body got back into balance.  My older children say that the youngest has a different parent and want to have the new one.  I have tried to repair the problems and it has been slow to come but it is happening. The entire family needs to have a therapeutic intervention to help them move on from the past and deal with the present and make the goals of the future.   Hang in there Micheal it is the hardest thing to ask for the help ever thing else will fall into place. Find your inner peace within you and the outside will conform with the inside.  I too had a drama queen and she would stress the family into chaos.  This went on for many years until we asked for help.

September 19, 2005, 8:12 am CDT

take these poor children away

dr phil if this continues and noone intervenes they are just as guilty, in another situation these kids would have been taken away from these parents unless the father moved out with them,away from her. This is mental abuse, that is so freightening for these children think of it when your a child you look to your parents for love and safety. If these kids cant trust their parents howdo you think they are going to grow up mentally. I just wanted to jump in my tv set and grab and hold those girls in my arms and make them feel safe and secure.

September 19, 2005, 8:17 am CDT

09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

Quote From: ucmelqqk

Dr. Phil, if you've ever done anything, please please please, get these girls out of this situation with their dad and monster (she doesn't deserve the title "mom").  You need to have that woman removed from that house.  The dad and girls shouldn't have to leave, she needs to be removed.  There isn't anything in this world that a child does that hasn't been taught to them.  I'm am so outraged right now that I can not think straight!  I want to drive to my girls' schools just to hug them and tell them how much I love them both, but that can wait until they come home because I make sure they hear those words and know I mean it everyday.......before school, after school, at bedtime.  Helping that lunatic is one thing, but helping those girls is something that can not wait.  It is heart breaking to watch this show.
And by no means is the dad innocent in this either.  I'm sure he's afr5aid of her too.  But that doesn't justify anything, he's the adult and is as guilty for just standing there.  I can't belive he even leaves the house leaving the girls behind with that monster.

September 19, 2005, 8:27 am CDT

Unbelievable!

I watched today in horror as these two BEAUTIFUL girls were beaten down and disrespected  in front of us all. I only hope that Phil puts these girls into some intense counseling of their own. They need to learn that this is not normal, that they are valuable and that they did not bring any of this ugliness upon their selves. They need to begin healing from the "wounds" that have been inflicted on them. Dr. Phil has much more hope for this woman than I can imagine and more restraint than I could have mustered while talking to her. (That's what makes him a professional... and not me.) Addicted to anger? okay. But what a terrible example of what a mother is supposed to be... what a terrible example of what home is supposed to be. The father? It seems like part of his brain needs reawakened as well.  

September 19, 2005, 8:39 am CDT

Stop thinking and decide

Quote From: musicman

First of all, i'm neither supporting nor witch hunting the show in question.  But I will play devils advocate here. I'm guessing that no one here has ever had rough times,  A possible medical condition, Or even a loss of control over a given situation.  Why would they go on the show one would ask?  To get help that could not be found else where?  To be publicly ridiculed?  To lose all family and friends that they may of had?  Who knows what they are going through at this time.  But you DO need to ask your self is what did Dr. Phil do for them?  Is the problem being fixed?  Are the kids ok now?  Yes it is a bad situation, but is it being fixed?  Are you all of such little faith that you think he did this for ratings?  Come on lets get real here this is not the springer show.  That is a real problem with real people and children who obviously needed help and went there to get it.  And they will, i'm sure of that.  But if it make you all feel better about yourselves, please feel free to be judgemental, ridicule, persicute and even scorn those you don't know to make yourselves feel better.  I'm real sure that is the way we all should live our perfect lives. 

If ratings is what it takes to get the issue of child abuse brought to light, I say go after ratings, but I don’t believe the Dr. Phil show seeks to entertain to the extent they seek to educate… 

The following is an excerpt from http://www.preventchildabuse.org/learn_more/research_docs/reframing%20revised.pdf 

And although child abuse and neglect is killing nearly 1,000 children every year and is harming millions of others, the issue has never been successfully raised to the level of public policy priority. Funding of both research and prevention programs has been difficult to obtain (and retain) in even the most robust economic periods, undoubtedly due at least in part to the lack of public understanding on the issue and the perceived importance of prevention.

The overwhelming imbalance between media coverage of the negative aspects of the child abuse and neglect story compared to its coverage of potential solutions to the problem is likely both a reflection of, and part of the reason for, the general public’s sense of hopelessness on the issue. A recent analysis by Prevent Child Abuse America , in fact, shows that national television and radio news broadcasts during the period 1993 to mid-2002 carried 664 stories on the subject of child abductions and 282 on child molestation while carrying only four stories on “positive parenting” and 67 on child abuse prevention during this same period of time.3

The Dr. Phil show doesn’t just “cover” a story of child abuse and present in to us in all it’s ugliness for shock value…he shows us what it looks like…says that it is wrong…why it is wrong…what needs to be done about it…and he goes on step further…he sees to it that it is done.  Maybe that’s what we as a society need…to have it spelled out for us…this is not acceptable and this is what you need to do about it.  Dr. Phil shows us it is not hopeless...and that we have the power to change it. 

September 19, 2005, 8:51 am CDT

Never give up dreams because of parents!

Quote From: brady1177

I cannot believe that as a mother you can sit there and justify your actions as being ok!  You are not fit to be a parent and I would highly recommend that CPS take your children out of your home immediately!   

I was in your daughter's shoes.  I've hidden in the closet!  I've been afraid that if my mother even saw me she would go into a rage so I hid!  I hid not only to protect myself but to also keep her from being angry over something else I may have missed!  You are crazy!  The damaging words you are saying and have said will echo in your children's minds for years to come.  Even if you stop saying things now they will still replay that over and over in their own minds!  If you want a future relationship with your daughter  you need to seek professional help!   

My mother suffered from Bi-Polar Manic depression.  I was mentally and physically abused.  She never received help and neither did I.  We have no relationship.  She is not invited to my wedding.  I hold no good feelings towards her at all.  I despise everything about her.  I am afraid to have children and become like her.   

You are disgusting and ill and you should not be a mother!  A cat is a better mother and nuturer than you are! 

brady1177  

Dear Brady1177, 

Please never give up on the dream of having children because of your past if a child is what you desire in the future. I too have a so called "mom" that is a Bi-polar manic. I have lived through total "hell" with her and my alcoholic father. And today is really no different than it was as a child except there is no more beatings but the mental abuse still sometimes exist when I allow it to happen.  But I was able to escape when I was 18. In my early 20's I decided I wanted a child. Each day I wake proud and relieved to I know that I will never being like her or my father for that matter. My child brings joy to my life and I could not imagine life without her. So please really consider on NOT LIMITING yourself of because what happen to you in the past. Only you can choose what path you want to travel in your life. I did and even though I stumble on a few pebbles every now and then, I know I have a wonderful life with a wonderful child who I truly love. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last