Message Boards

Topic : 09/19 "Afraid of My Mom"

Number of Replies: 438
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 03:59:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil intervenes with a woman who's anger is out of control. Michelle calls herself a "raging lunatic,"  and says her family is falling apart because of it. When something sets her off, Michelle will go to the extreme: Following drivers on the road, screaming obscenities at her husband until he flees the house, and yelling at her daughters until they are physically sick and cowering in the closet. Michelle reveals her worst fear and Dr. Phil steps in to save this family. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 17, 2005, 11:23 am CDT

It's about time!

Even though this episode hasn't aired yet, I have something to say:  I don't know about the mom or the dad for that matter but this girl will need lots of help, hopefully not for the rest of her life! I have. I can't wait to see this episode and how I would like to tell the parents a few no lots of things!!!!!!! Good Luck DR. PHIL 

September 17, 2005, 12:23 pm CDT

Been there & needed help...a long time ago.

For me, personally, this may be the most important Dr. Phil show I'll ever watch.  I know what  

it feels like to be a small, demure child at the mercy of a parent who disciplined with terror.  

It ultimately defined my existence as an adult.  But I'm learning that it's never too late to seek  

the kind of help that sets you free. 

Dr. Phil, step in and be that little girl's not-gonna-back-down advocate, please. 

September 17, 2005, 1:48 pm CDT

Danger of Extremes

I only caught the preview for this show and probably won't be able to watch it on Monday. I was struck, however, with how extreme the example was. To be sure, Dr. Phil needs to intervene to protect these children. The child's physical illness is as real a signal of abuse as the cuts and bruises that result from physical assault. Still, I wonder at the focus on extreme examples. I could argue that those cases are the place to start in a culture - help folks recognize this as abuse and motivate as many parents as possible to alter their behavior or seek help. I would scarcely deny the need to offer the children in these families protection. But there are far more subtle cases of abuse - those that leave no signs of illness, no immediate scars of abuse. They leave the victim denying that abuse even occurred. I worry that these situations are as prevalent, present far less compelling television, and remain 'invisible.'

September 17, 2005, 6:12 pm CDT

Almost scared to watch the show

Just watching the preview made me so sad.  If this is just a few moments of abuse in that girl's life, image how far it really goes.   

One thing it made me conscious of is my own mouth.  Gosh, we have to be so careful how we talk to our kids and not react...just respond.  For example, my three year old is a very touchy girl...this is her way of expressing and receiving love.  But sometimes her little uncoordinated arms and legs cause pain and she doesn't realize it.  Today, I tripped on something she had left out  and really hurt my leg.  i was holding her at the time and rather than do my usual yelping and yes, sometimes yelling...I just sucked it up and kept holding her telling her it wasn't her fault - man it hurt! 

So, this lady may be too late to learn her lesson...but we as moms and dads can learn from her and curtail our "outbursts" more.   

September 17, 2005, 6:21 pm CDT

Touchy Subject

Dr. Phil, 

I have raised 5 children.  Two of which went into drama acts such as the young one on  

Monday's previews.  There are two sides to every story and unless the viewers see the other side     

of the story at what caused this family outbreak, snap judgements shouldn't be made.  With my  

two drama children, psychiatric help was the course we took.  It seemed to help quite well.  Not  

only for them but for ourselves as well.  The child could be acting out more due to cameras being  

there.  This, we will never know.  I'm looking forward to seeing the show  

September 17, 2005, 10:40 pm CDT

Not Drama

Quote From: whttgrs

Dr. Phil, 

I have raised 5 children.  Two of which went into drama acts such as the young one on  

Monday's previews.  There are two sides to every story and unless the viewers see the other side     

of the story at what caused this family outbreak, snap judgements shouldn't be made.  With my  

two drama children, psychiatric help was the course we took.  It seemed to help quite well.  Not  

only for them but for ourselves as well.  The child could be acting out more due to cameras being  

there.  This, we will never know.  I'm looking forward to seeing the show  

I believe it is absolutely deplorable that you refer to your own children as "drama children." I don't know how old your children are but by using this word with them you are giving them a label that they make take years to get away from. My parents often used this word with me and I am in therapy now learning that feelings do not equal "drama." Sure we may not know the full story, maybe the child is prone to overreacting. Children have difficulty gaining perspective on their own feelings so to them the way they are feeling is of the utmost importance, which is why they sometimes seem as if they think that they are at the center of the universe. It's hard for them to imagine how another person must be feeling, as Dr. Phil often says their brains still have a lot of growing to do. The way the mother appeared to have been acting was completely inexcusable however; she is a grown woman and the adult in the situaion. She has no excuse to be screaming at her children like that. That little girl had to have been completely terrified because at that moment the world consisted of her mother, the person who is supposed to be her advocate on this earth, beating her down psychologically and scaring her to the point of physical illness. That's not drama! When a child's body reacts in such a serious way it is very very real. I'm sure after watching the show we will know more of the story. For the sake of your own children please stop describing them with this label.

September 18, 2005, 10:56 am CDT

stop and think

First of all, i'm neither supporting nor witch hunting the show in question.  But I will play devils advocate here. I'm guessing that no one here has ever had rough times,  A possible medical condition, Or even a loss of control over a given situation.  Why would they go on the show one would ask?  To get help that could not be found else where?  To be publicly ridiculed?  To lose all family and friends that they may of had?  Who knows what they are going through at this time.  But you DO need to ask your self is what did Dr. Phil do for them?  Is the problem being fixed?  Are the kids ok now?  Yes it is a bad situation, but is it being fixed?  Are you all of such little faith that you think he did this for ratings?  Come on lets get real here this is not the springer show.  That is a real problem with real people and children who obviously needed help and went there to get it.  And they will, i'm sure of that.  But if it make you all feel better about yourselves, please feel free to be judgemental, ridicule, persicute and even scorn those you don't know to make yourselves feel better.  I'm real sure that is the way we all should live our perfect lives. 

September 18, 2005, 11:02 am CDT

Drama Children

Quote From: katielilie

I believe it is absolutely deplorable that you refer to your own children as "drama children." I don't know how old your children are but by using this word with them you are giving them a label that they make take years to get away from. My parents often used this word with me and I am in therapy now learning that feelings do not equal "drama." Sure we may not know the full story, maybe the child is prone to overreacting. Children have difficulty gaining perspective on their own feelings so to them the way they are feeling is of the utmost importance, which is why they sometimes seem as if they think that they are at the center of the universe. It's hard for them to imagine how another person must be feeling, as Dr. Phil often says their brains still have a lot of growing to do. The way the mother appeared to have been acting was completely inexcusable however; she is a grown woman and the adult in the situaion. She has no excuse to be screaming at her children like that. That little girl had to have been completely terrified because at that moment the world consisted of her mother, the person who is supposed to be her advocate on this earth, beating her down psychologically and scaring her to the point of physical illness. That's not drama! When a child's body reacts in such a serious way it is very very real. I'm sure after watching the show we will know more of the story. For the sake of your own children please stop describing them with this label.
To the reply  on the quote Drama Chidren.  You heard the word "drama" and not the rest of the story.  The children and the parents absolutley need psychiatric help.  It is wrong that the parent gets into the face of the children, but that is why they are on the Dr. Phil show...to get the help they need. 

September 18, 2005, 3:23 pm CDT

You go ahead --be the DEVIL'S advocate!

Quote From: musicman

First of all, i'm neither supporting nor witch hunting the show in question.  But I will play devils advocate here. I'm guessing that no one here has ever had rough times,  A possible medical condition, Or even a loss of control over a given situation.  Why would they go on the show one would ask?  To get help that could not be found else where?  To be publicly ridiculed?  To lose all family and friends that they may of had?  Who knows what they are going through at this time.  But you DO need to ask your self is what did Dr. Phil do for them?  Is the problem being fixed?  Are the kids ok now?  Yes it is a bad situation, but is it being fixed?  Are you all of such little faith that you think he did this for ratings?  Come on lets get real here this is not the springer show.  That is a real problem with real people and children who obviously needed help and went there to get it.  And they will, i'm sure of that.  But if it make you all feel better about yourselves, please feel free to be judgemental, ridicule, persicute and even scorn those you don't know to make yourselves feel better.  I'm real sure that is the way we all should live our perfect lives. 

I really don't need to be on here! I have problems myself and no time to get angry over people like you. How can you possibly excuse it with a medical condition? My mother had one and I had to live with it even when she threatend to kill my sister and I during her rage! Almost driving off a dead end, chasing us including friends into safer places like the bathroom while she had the fireplace poker in her hands! And you might say "why didn't your father do anything?" Well, then, things were a secret with most, behind closed doors, embarresement, title held in a communtiy, and most of all, then, we would have ended up with our mother if he tried to divorce her, he couldn't commit her as his mother was in and out of hospitals. DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN US SURVIVERS UNDERSTAND THE DAMAGE????????????  I DON'T WANT TO EXPAND ON YOUR COMMENTS............. 

September 18, 2005, 4:06 pm CDT

What are you thinking?

I don't know what all of you people out there are thinking, but I know that some kids can do drama. But this is not drama! These poor kids are affraid of the people who are suppost to love them support them and teache them how to keep there cool! I know for a fact that this poor child deserves the right to a controlled house and to be taken out of there now! No matter how much thereapy and what not that the do take she will never be the same... This is a nightmare and if Dr. Phil doesn't go hard on them other parents are only going to think that what their doing is going to give them a little slap on the wrist. Dr. Phil or anybody please somebody take her out of there!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last