Message Boards

Topic : 09/22 Are You a Racist?

Number of Replies: 206
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 04:33:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's first guest, Charlie, admits that he's a racist and it's tearing apart his family. He has stopped speaking with his daughter, Virginia, because she's pregnant with a biracial child. With the baby due any minute, will Charlie miss out on the joy that comes with a grandchild?  Then, Rujon says he's prejudiced against his own race because he "acts white." Should he be concerned about what other people think? Plus, Marla's daughter, Daphne, has been missing for six years, and her photo was never shown on the news. Marla is angry and says missing African-Americans are ignored by the media. Dr. Phil attempts to even the coverage by putting photos of missing women of color front and center. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2005, 6:44 am CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: ablondie

I understand where you are coming from with everything about the Negro college fund and everything.  I do understand why it was started, but also think that they need to start stopping that kind of stuff because this world isn't as bad as it use to be when considering racism.   

I have also seen how black people have been treated, even to this day.  It's not everyone that is racist, but it is very hard to see when someone "looks down" on my husband because he is black.  (no, that doesn't happen very often but when it does, it hurts!)  He's a good man that works and takes care of his family, and would do anything for us.   

I also know that most people who scream racism are black people, but that's when you can start categorizing.  My husband does not at all act like that, nor does his family......now I have seen and worked with a lot of people who will scream it, and with them I keep my distance!!!  I just don't want everyone categorizing every black person for the one's who are claiming racism, because they are not all like that!  But yes, I believe the majority of black people are.  I just got lucky and landed into a family that are well upstanding citizens!   

I completely agree that not every black person is racist.   Every race has their good and bad citizens.   I too stay clear of those who try to take advantage of the system.  And I do have many black friends, but I don't like to refur to them as black. They are my friends.  They are respectful and follow the law.  That is a person.               Liz

September 22, 2005, 6:52 am CDT

I can relate

I have never written to Dr. Phil before but I just had to comment on this particular segment.  I am a black female who has been told by my family many times that I act, sound, dress, live, and rear my children like a white person.  I don't understand that boundary that blacks have drawn that say you have to do this or that to be black.  To add to this craziness I am also a light skinned black person which was totally out of my control. 

September 22, 2005, 7:01 am CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: daze_duke

This brings me to tears. The people from the hurricane all have suffered enough regardless of thier color. It is truly a sad situation for them all and they all desrve our prayers. Would you appreciate it if someone pased you by in the same situation because of your color? We all bleed the same color.
I totally agree that we are all in the same situation.  When someone needs help it shouldn't matter what color their skin is or what ethnic, social, or economic background they are.  When someone is hurting they need help regardless and until we "Americans" understand this, our nation will always be divided.  I know a lot of us "Americans" claim to believe in God and may have even read the bible a time or two.  Remeber that part that says "..a house divided against itself shall not stand."  This is yet another time when we should be coming together instead of pointing fingers.  You can always find something wrong when you search for it.

September 22, 2005, 7:27 am CDT

Unbelievable

Quote From: lonalea200

I am symply stating a fact that everytime you turn on the news, someone is claiming racism. Usually it is black people. You don't hear chinese yelling racism, you don't hear Japanese or any other race yelling racism. It has always been the black people. I do not think all black people are racist but the ones who yell racism are usually black people. That is a fact. We don't, ( white people ), request that blacks won't let us in their programs yet they want their own special, catagorized by being of African American decent, programs because they claim they don't have as many rights because of racism. Like the negro college fund,, we don't have a white college fund. Anyone can go for a fund in this country. we donot segrergate our race. There are scholorships for specifically black people, we don't have white people scholorships. there aren't even Australian scholorships. Black people have always made themselves be apart. I welcome them. but stop yelling racism when there is none.

You've got to be kidding! I am absolutely appalled at the immense ignorance and arrogance you so proudly display in your quote. I can't believe you think that every time someone 'yells' racism it's 'usually' a black person. You obviously lead an extremely sheltered and uneducated life. Perhaps you'd next like to say that all Arabs or Muslims are terrorists! Your facts are clearly WRONG! People of all ethnic groups, races and religions experience racism and prejudice. The bottom line is that you cannot make such generalizations about an entire group. There are wonderful as well as awful people in all races, ethnic groups and religions. You say at the end of your quote that you 'welcome' black people...I'd like to know how many black people reading what you wrote find you or your words 'welcoming'? I doubt many do. I really think you need to turn off the news, step outside your front door and educate your self about these 'black' people who are 'always' making themselves be apart from people like you. Ever think that perhaps, just maybe, it was you and your behaviour and actions that made these 'black' people want to stay as far away from people like you as possible?

It's times like this that I'm proud to be a Canadian!

September 22, 2005, 7:34 am CDT

Confused

I do not want to imply either way who is the most "racist" because it may feed the greed! However I agree there is a race card pulled every time there is a distressed individual of another race. My son who is 12 years old and american indian/ white has been in more than a few situations where he was called "cracker" and "whitey", I remember him asking what those things meant.....He isn't being "raised" to have the opinion of hating any race but he is being treated to where he's forming his own intellectual opinion....which he is entiltled to, I can only pacify and defend so long before it makes me a liar! What do you do at this point? He is NOT stupid and my explanations are wearing thin. He again isn't RAISED this way but he sure is being taught this way by the same people who claim it's so bad for them. Any intelligent answers for THIS serious issue?  (and that's how I tell my son at this point...They are angry people to treat ANYONE bad so forgive and move on!!!)  I DID NOT NOR DID MY SON PLAY ANY ROLE IN HISTORY AND I can't say my grandparents did because we have american indian decent!!!!!!!! But IM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CONFUSED WITH THIS!

September 22, 2005, 7:39 am CDT

The Last Accepted Prejudice

First of all, nobody should be a target of any kind of prejudice.  Having said that, this is what bothers me.  We know it is bad to hate because of the color of a person's skin.  We are not allowed to hate or have prejudice against anyone who leads a gay lifestyle; it isn't acceptable.  You cannot despise a person for coming from another country, and you cannot show your dislike toward another religion.  All well and good, but one prejudice still rears its ugly head all the time, and EVERYBODY supports it and cheers it on.  I for one want to know why. 

If you are not a size one female, you are ridiculed.  If you do not look like the models who starve themselves and get air-brushed photos in fashion magazines, you are looked at badly.  And if you are very overweight, the horrible, mean comments never cease.  It is still hatred and prejudice; then why does this country still think it's acceptable?  Why, instead of saluting women for their "normal" size 10 bodies do we make fun of them?  Why, when a poor plus-size woman is out walking, trying to lose weight, do we taunt her?  Why are these bigots still allowed to force their beliefs on us?  What is the deal here?  Hearing somebody call you a "fat pig" is just as bad as hearing someone call you the "n" word.  It's just more accepted.  It shouldn't be. 

Don't be a stupid hypocrite.  Don't tell people to stop pointing and remarking on the color of a man or woman's skin, just to turn around and make fun of "the blimp" walking across the street.  It's the same hate you condemn racists for.  You are the same as the KKK member who dresses up in a sheet and burns crosses.  You just use the media and society to excuse your hang-ups.  Trust me.  As a plus-size gal who has faced those taunts all her life, and has just now found the courage to fight those mean people and lose the weight for MYSELF, I know the pain of living with prejudice.  Take your hang-ups and hang them out of sight.  NOBODY should be the victim of your inadequacies; not even me. 

September 22, 2005, 7:50 am CDT

If any of you really knew

I am the wife of a police officer. A white Irish Catholic police officer. You want to see racism? Ride along with him one night. You will see it against him everytime he puts his badge on.  Lets see, the blacks, oh well he just shows up at their house for no reason and harrass them, nevermind that he has received a 911 call, that he MUST respond too, even though it's his 75th call of "baby momma drama".The whites, well they want to know why the police are going after the "real criminals, although he is there because some white person is commiting the crime. The mexicans, they yell that the only reason that immigration is being called is because they (the police) don't like mexicans...no, it's because they are here ILLEGALY. I could go on and on...But you know what? We don't..He leaves me every night to protect these same people day after day after day. Let me give you a little clue though, my husband doesn't care what color you are. Neither does any other officer. They are prejudiced agains ANYBODY who can't not conform to society's rules and laws. Against anybody who uses violence against them, or their neighbors in the community they have sworn to protect. If you shoot at them and try to kill them, beleive me the color of your skin is the furthest thing from their mind. Stopping the threat is the first! Now, all you liberals go ahead and blast me for this posting..Im ready for you, I've been hearing you people for 10 yrs bash my husband and his brothers and sisters. Just like Dr. Phil did today by insinuating that all police officers just pull over blacks because they can. So, go ahead, just know, that these same people whom you curse and bash, will still be there tonight, to watch out for you, protect you, and willing to die for you regardless of the hate that they are confronted with EVERYDAY by all of you.!!!!!

September 22, 2005, 8:13 am CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: chumpette

You've got to be kidding! I am absolutely appalled at the immense ignorance and arrogance you so proudly display in your quote. I can't believe you think that every time someone 'yells' racism it's 'usually' a black person. You obviously lead an extremely sheltered and uneducated life. Perhaps you'd next like to say that all Arabs or Muslims are terrorists! Your facts are clearly WRONG! People of all ethnic groups, races and religions experience racism and prejudice. The bottom line is that you cannot make such generalizations about an entire group. There are wonderful as well as awful people in all races, ethnic groups and religions. You say at the end of your quote that you 'welcome' black people...I'd like to know how many black people reading what you wrote find you or your words 'welcoming'? I doubt many do. I really think you need to turn off the news, step outside your front door and educate your self about these 'black' people who are 'always' making themselves be apart from people like you. Ever think that perhaps, just maybe, it was you and your behaviour and actions that made these 'black' people want to stay as far away from people like you as possible?

It's times like this that I'm proud to be a Canadian!

I will say again....I did not say all black people are racist nor do they all threaten racism.  I still feel that when the majority of the people who yell racism, it is black people.  Apperantly you don't watch the news.           Liz

September 22, 2005, 8:42 am CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

I am so proud of Charlie for admitting that what he has always been taught and believed is wrong.  What a wonderful gift he is giving to his daughter by trying to change his ways.

September 22, 2005, 8:50 am CDT

Love wins

My daughter is also pregnant with a bi-racial child and is due very soon. Her happiness and the health of the child and his (it's a boy) happiness is my biggest concern. Could I have picked a better situation? You bet. But, therein lies the rub. I have no choice in who my children choose to love, just as they had no choice in who their parents are. My wife is still struggling with this but I feel it is up to me to set the right example by giving all the love and support I can muster; and by being a role model..
 My wife and I grew up in the 50's and 60's when racial tensions, boycotts, and riots were everyday occurences. Racism is a learned thing and some of our fears for what a bi-racial child will face are based on what we faced. Thank goodness things have changed and hopefully they will continue to change in a positive way. We have to be agents of change and that is what I intend to do. Not only for my grandson but for my great-great grandchildren as well.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last