Message Boards

Topic : 09/22 Are You a Racist?

Number of Replies: 206
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 16, 2005, 04:33:40 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

Dr. Phil's first guest, Charlie, admits that he's a racist and it's tearing apart his family. He has stopped speaking with his daughter, Virginia, because she's pregnant with a biracial child. With the baby due any minute, will Charlie miss out on the joy that comes with a grandchild?  Then, Rujon says he's prejudiced against his own race because he "acts white." Should he be concerned about what other people think? Plus, Marla's daughter, Daphne, has been missing for six years, and her photo was never shown on the news. Marla is angry and says missing African-Americans are ignored by the media. Dr. Phil attempts to even the coverage by putting photos of missing women of color front and center. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2005 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2005, 9:05 am CDT

I agree

Quote From: daze_duke

This brings me to tears. The people from the hurricane all have suffered enough regardless of thier color. It is truly a sad situation for them all and they all desrve our prayers. Would you appreciate it if someone pased you by in the same situation because of your color? We all bleed the same color.
Racism proves nothing.  If I was violated by someone its not a "race" that performed a bad behavior.  Its an individual.  Katrina victims need our prayers and support.  I get prejudice all the time.  I am Jewish.  But I laugh ignorance off.  I can't tell anyone what to say or how to act.  Its up to me how I hear them.  And if what they're saying is useful.  Thats with anything I hear.  A person has a right to say whatever they want, but my right is what I do with it.  And if they're talking junk, I look at my feet to see if I'm wearing my sneakers to run away from angry mean people.

September 22, 2005, 9:47 am CDT

Comments on the show Are You a Racist?

I really believe that Charlie wants to change, and is to be commended for having the courage to appear on the Dr. Phil show. He admitted that he needs and wants to change. I believe that he is on the right track. Rujon is just being himself, and I believe that he is very proud of his heritage. I think it was awfully racist the way the news media did in the missing of Daphne. They should have covered this story. The Dr. Phil show was the first that I heard about the dissappearance of Daphne, and I regularly watch the news. We are putting Daphne and her Mother on our prayer lists.

September 22, 2005, 12:10 pm CDT

Bi-racial children

Quote From: harpguy

My daughter is also pregnant with a bi-racial child and is due very soon. Her happiness and the health of the child and his (it's a boy) happiness is my biggest concern. Could I have picked a better situation? You bet. But, therein lies the rub. I have no choice in who my children choose to love, just as they had no choice in who their parents are. My wife is still struggling with this but I feel it is up to me to set the right example by giving all the love and support I can muster; and by being a role model..
 My wife and I grew up in the 50's and 60's when racial tensions, boycotts, and riots were everyday occurences. Racism is a learned thing and some of our fears for what a bi-racial child will face are based on what we faced. Thank goodness things have changed and hopefully they will continue to change in a positive way. We have to be agents of change and that is what I intend to do. Not only for my grandson but for my great-great grandchildren as well.

I know your thoughts/fears, my father was very afraid for my child when I was carrying her (she's bi-racial).  Anyway, the only thing that I said that really comforted him was this:   

Every child is going to be picked on for one reason or another, if it's not because the child is black/white/hispanic or whatever else, then it's going to be because the child is too fat, too skinny, too ugly, too pretty, has glasses, has buck teeth, doesn't have money....there are so many things that kids will pick on other kids for and there is nothing you can do but try and teach your child to not be hateful!   

I haven't had any issues with my daughter or my step children about there race, ususally it's some other reason they are getting picked on, if at all.  

September 22, 2005, 12:51 pm CDT

Why does it matter?

Quote From: bcurry

I have never written to Dr. Phil before but I just had to comment on this particular segment.  I am a black female who has been told by my family many times that I act, sound, dress, live, and rear my children like a white person.  I don't understand that boundary that blacks have drawn that say you have to do this or that to be black.  To add to this craziness I am also a light skinned black person which was totally out of my control. 

Why is it that people have to even bring up the differences between race?  Why can't someone be accepted for just who they are.  If someone is truly not a racist then race does not matter!  Blacks should not have to "act" a certain way to be accepted by their own race.  What is the deal with that?  As a white woman, I admit I don't understand it.  If blacks truly want everyone to accept them, then quit drawing the line in the dirt - the  one that truly separates us all!  As a white woman I admit I don't go around thinking about whether or not I'm accepted by other whites!  I feel sorry for those of you who have to go through this! PEOPLE wake up!  Acceptance comes from the heart, it is not based on how you talk, what you wear, or a million other things that people use to divide.  I often ask God to let me see through His eyes, I pray more people would do that too!

September 22, 2005, 1:02 pm CDT

Dr. Phil, how cynical of you to quote those statistics on whites vs. blacks in the welfare system. You didn't state the statistic in the way you KNOW they actually are.  As a PERCENTAGE of the black population and a PERCENTAGE of the white population, more blacks ARE on welfare.  And you know this is the more significant representation of the facts. 

Growing up as a white girl in the suburbs I dated numerous black boys in my school.  I carried the banner of equality like a crusader.  Then as I got older and out in the work world I saw all the ways blacks approach work differently than whites. I saw a sense of entitlement to my tax dollar...I saw bad attitude, I saw political correctness gone wild and accusations of "racism" lodged by blacks against the very employers who had HIRED them ! Help me out with that one...the white guy hired them...but because the white guy actually expected performance and when it didn't come, the black (or white) employee was fired, the black employee screams "racism".  I see women do the same thing...they cry "sex discrimination".   I'M NOT A RACIST.  I could care less about the color of anyone's skin.  What I am is sick to death of is the BEHAVIOR OF BLACKS, it's their actions, their behavior, their attitudes, not their color that I will battle with every cell in my body because our country is becoming a trashy, loud, course place with standards going lower and lower every day.  THE PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS CHOOSE TO LIVE THE WAY THEY DO...I'VE LIVED THERE. THEY CHOOSE NOT TO WORK, THEY CHOOSE TO HAVE CHILDREN THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO CARE FOR, THEY CHOOSE TO TRASH THEIR OWN HOMES, THEY CHOOSE TO NOT PAY THEIR BILLS.  THEIR BLACK MAYOR DIDN'T CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THEM TO SEND HIS OWN SCHOOL BUSES AROUND TO THEIR HOMES TO PICK THEM UP TO SAFETY. BUT the images of those people at the convention center and the superdome are the ones the media and the black community have grabbed on to and exploited so Jessie Jackson & Al Sharpton's VICTIM INDUSTRY will continue to thrive for years to come.  I guess Condoleeza Rice, Bill Cosby, Colin Powell and many, many other responsible, successful blacks were somehow whisked along through life in white face make-up.  Just like there are trailer park whites and highly successful whites, there are trailer park blacks and highly successful blacks.  The difference is trailer park whites don't have anyone they can blame for their lack of discipline and responsibility.  I didn't used to have a problem with blacks' 30 years ago when they really DID have a tougher time in the job market...now the red carpet has been rolled out and everyone walks on eggshells around them to keep from being accused of racism. I'M SICK OF IT. I'M SICK OF BLACK BEHAVIOR, NOT BLACK COLOR !!!!! 

September 22, 2005, 1:08 pm CDT

Bi-racial

Quote From: ablondie

I know your thoughts/fears, my father was very afraid for my child when I was carrying her (she's bi-racial).  Anyway, the only thing that I said that really comforted him was this:   

Every child is going to be picked on for one reason or another, if it's not because the child is black/white/hispanic or whatever else, then it's going to be because the child is too fat, too skinny, too ugly, too pretty, has glasses, has buck teeth, doesn't have money....there are so many things that kids will pick on other kids for and there is nothing you can do but try and teach your child to not be hateful!   

I haven't had any issues with my daughter or my step children about there race, ususally it's some other reason they are getting picked on, if at all.  

I have 4 wonderfull biracial kids. Believe me, I or my family couldnt love them any more than what we do. They are not black, and they are not white, they are the most beautifull ,[inside and out]people you could ever know...Why cant we all just get along. Know matter what color  we are, are BLOOD is all red, and we all bleed. 

September 22, 2005, 1:19 pm CDT

09/22 Are You a Racist?

Quote From: donna2236

Dr. Phil, how cynical of you to quote those statistics on whites vs. blacks in the welfare system. You didn't state the statistic in the way you KNOW they actually are.  As a PERCENTAGE of the black population and a PERCENTAGE of the white population, more blacks ARE on welfare.  And you know this is the more significant representation of the facts. 

Shame on you for race baiting.  Growing up as a white girl in the suburbs I dated numerous black boys in my school.  I carried the banner of equality like a crusader.  Then as I got older and out in the work world I saw all the ways blacks approach work differently than whites. I saw a sense of entitlement to my tax dollar...I saw bad attitude, I saw political correctness gone wild and accusations of "racism" lodged by blacks against the very employers who had HIRED them ! Help me out with that one...the white guy hired them...but because the white guy actually expected performance and when it didn't come, the black (or white) employee was fired, the black employee screams "racism".  I see women do the same thing...they cry "sex discrimination".   I'M NOT A RACIST.  I could care less about the color of anyone's skin.  What I am is sick to death of is the BEHAVIOR OF BLACKS, it's their actions, their behavior, their attitudes, not their color that I will battle with every cell in my body because our country is becoming a trashy, loud, course place with standards going lower and lower every day.  THE PEOPLE OF NEW ORLEANS CHOOSE TO LIVE THE WAY THEY DO...I'VE LIVED THERE. THEY CHOOSE NOT TO WORK, THEY CHOOSE TO HAVE CHILDREN THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO CARE FOR, THEY CHOOSE TO TRASH THEIR OWN HOMES, THEY CHOOSE TO NOT PAY THEIR BILLS.  THEIR BLACK MAYOR DIDN'T CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THEM TO SEND HIS OWN SCHOOL BUSES AROUND TO THEIR HOMES TO PICK THEM UP TO SAFETY. BUT the images of those people at the convention center and the superdome are the ones the media and the black community have grabbed on to and exploited so Jessie Jackson & Al Sharpton's VICTIM INDUSTRY will continue to thrive for years to come.  I guess Condoleeza Rice, Bill Cosby, Colin Powell and many, many other responsible, successful blacks were somehow whisked along through life in white face make-up.  Just like there are trailer park whites and highly successful whites, there are trailer park blacks and highly successful blacks.  The difference is trailer park whites don't have anyone they can blame for their lack of discipline and responsibility.  I didn't used to have a problem with blacks' 30 years ago when they really DID have a tougher time in the job market...now the red carpet has been rolled out and everyone walks on eggshells around them to keep from being accused of racism. I'M SICK OF IT. I'M SICK OF BLACK BEHAVIOR, NOT BLACK COLOR !!!!! 

ummmmm amen to that too...lol

September 22, 2005, 1:24 pm CDT

Why Show Only Black Audience Members?

I love Dr. Phil, but I did not really care for this show. I didn't think that it really accomplished much and Dr. Phil was a little too politically correct at times.
I also had a huge problem with the fact that EVERY TIME they panned out into the audience while interviewing the first guest, they only showed the black audience members. I am sure the white audience members are interested in what the guest was saying too - why not show all types of audience members? If anyone was in the audience for this show, I'd like to know if they noticed this.

September 22, 2005, 1:29 pm CDT

I don't think he's truly a racist

i don't think this man is a racist. I think his statements and views on blacks are just an example of  his upbringing and the things that his parents made right in his eyes. I think this should stand as a public service announcement as to how much our children learn what they live and how some things become a major part of that child into adulthood.  I have to say I admire him for coming on the show and asking for help because that shows that racism is truly not in his heart. I think he is a nice old man that deep down looks forward to his new grandchild and I think he'll feel like a new person once he gets the racism thing completely out of his life. From black woman in memphis,TN :) 

September 22, 2005, 1:30 pm CDT

do we hear ourselves?

I have read the postings about today's show, and I wonder if anyone is actually hearing everything that is being said...I have never heard so many people at one time making the claim that they "aren't racist". That is something that should not have to be said...do people assume you are? There are comments flying around such as (and I am Paraphrasing here!) "all poor people are angry, all black people are racist, white people are racist", etc.  Didn't anyone watch the show before exploding onto this board? If Dr. Phil wants to find great proof of how some people generalize whole races based on individual experiences, he only has to look at his own message board! 

On the other side, many of the comments I have read were refreshing and intelligent.  

What I took from the show was that discrimination is a problem for many people that needs to be acknowledged. I admit I would love to convince myself that we have reached equality in this country, but we have not. Yes, discrimination occurs against different people of different races. But I truly believe that the only way to deal with it is one situation at a time. We can't lump people together and try to find a "fix" that will work for everyone. It is everyone's individual responsibility to fight racism and discrimination when they encounter it. It is a problem that can't be dealt with easily or simply. I truly hope that everyone can gain some insight not only into the issues raised by the show, but also into our ownshortcomings.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last